Top Sirloin steak

Author
chezkatie
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1329
2004/06/28 12:51:42 (permalink)

Top Sirloin steak

I purchased a very large amount of top sirloin steaks for the freezer as a local store was having a great sale. However, I have a big problem in that I have never cooked a top sirloin in my life and have no idea how to make it tender. My questions are:

Do you marinate them in a tenderizing marinade? If so, do you have any tried and true recipes for same?

Can this steak be used for Chicken fried steak (which I have never made)?

Do any of you have any recipes for top sirloin which you use and like?

Thanks for any information you might be able to give me.

13 Replies Related Threads

Lucky Bishop
    • Total Posts : 1049
    RE: Top Sirloin steak 2004/06/28 13:19:19 (permalink)
    My friend Joyce, whose mother ran a truck stop near Roswell, New Mexico in the 40s and 50s, taught me a foolproof steak marinade that she'd learned from the truck stop's Chinese cook as a child, and it's the only way I marinate steaks these days.

Take two cups of strong black coffee, and add crushed garlic (at least a couple of cloves), a quarter-cup of soy sauce, a quarter-cup of sesame oil (the darker the better), three tablespoons of molasses and a teaspoon of red chile flakes (or sambal, or Tabasco, or the other heat generator of your choice). Marinate the steaks in this mixture for 2 to 12 hours and grill.

Top sirloin will only get so tender; by its very nature, it's a fairly chewy hunk of meat. But a good marinade will go a long way towards tenderizing the steak, and honestly, I think the top sirlion's chew factor is what makes it my steak of choice. I don't want fork-tender when it comes to steak. "Butter-soft," when it comes to things that come from a cow, is a term that should be applied only to leather shoes and butter itself.

As for cooking, I subscribe to Alton Brown's method: preheat a cast-iron skillet until it's as hot as possible and preheat your oven to 500 degrees. Flip the steak into the skillet for about 45 seconds on each side, then finish in the oven for about five minutes.
    1bbqboy
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4644
    RE: Top Sirloin steak 2004/06/28 13:28:59 (permalink)
    hey CK, they already should be tender. Sirloins are great broiled, grilled or pan fried. For pan frying, a cast iron pan does nicely.
    Pre-heat the pan to medium high, and do about 7min., then flip and do 3-5 min. on second side, seasoning with seasoned salt, pepper, and garlic powder, reducing heat about half way thru 2nd side. My mother always added butter on top at this point. Sometimes I do, sometimes not. I'm guessing they are about 1" thick? Same technique works in the broiler. They are really useful for stir-fry and mexican dishes too, if you cube them first.
    Perfect for the BBQ grill, with about the same timings
    CFS-well, if you've ambled thru that thread, you could feel the differing points of view, but I'm quite fond of coating them and using sirloin for CFS. It works well because it is a tender, quick cooking steak. They make wonderful sandwiches too. To me, it's a cut that doesn't need the additional bang of marinades etc
    Bill
    P.S.-boneless or bone-in?...and if it has a bit of fat on the edge, leave it
    1bbqboy
    Filet Mignon
    RE: Top Sirloin steak 2004/06/28 13:36:21 (permalink)
    Hey lucky, I was taught to use coffee for marinades and gravies also, but never associated it with anything but plains knowledge. Maybe there should be a tenderness scale, like a mohs scale, for steaks, cuz I've always thought sirloin was plenty fine as is. Other cuts almost demand some sort of tenderizer, but high heat and short time usually does the trick for me.
    Bill
    Theedge
    • Total Posts : 1196
    RE: Top Sirloin steak 2004/06/28 13:38:20 (permalink)
    I like to cube them up and fry them with some peppers, onion, mushrooms, garlic, and then add a red sauce. Serve over noodles. Steak Marsala I believe you would call it.
    Rusty246
    • Total Posts : 2414
    RE: Top Sirloin steak 2004/06/28 13:44:06 (permalink)
    I grilled about 8lbs of sirloin last night for the "family" dinner. I actually like sirloin steak. I don't marinate really, I mix all my dry spices in one bowl and do not season my steaks until right before they go on the grill. I usually have my grill(coals)hotter on one side than the other as I like to sear(then mine comes off)then cook until the deisired doneness for others. I also thinks it's important not to overcook, medium at the most. I do use a marinade on occasion that I was told was a "secret" but I found many similar which is simmering lemon slices and onion slices in vinegar, water and margerine for about 20 minutes. Add to that ketchup, worcestershire, liquid smoke. Bring to a boil remove from heat let cool. Marinate. Pretty simple. Although I enjoy that occasionally, I prefer to taste steak.
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 18857
    RE: Top Sirloin steak 2004/06/28 14:42:16 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Theedge

I like to cube them up and fry them with some peppers, onion, mushrooms, garlic, and then add a red sauce. Serve over noodles. Steak Marsala I believe you would call it.

I wouldn't call it Steak Marsala without using Marsala.
    Rusty246
    • Total Posts : 2414
    RE: Top Sirloin steak 2004/06/28 15:05:12 (permalink)
    Maybe the Marsala is in the red sauce???
    FrankieShots
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 11
    RE: Top Sirloin steak 2004/06/30 09:03:14 (permalink)
    Theedge...That would be Steak Pizzaiolla (sic), not Marsala...Very good too...
    RubyRose
    • Total Posts : 2189
    RE: Top Sirloin steak 2004/06/30 09:50:44 (permalink)
    They are also good sliced in thin strips and used for stir fries like pepper steak, beef and broccoli, etc.
    mayor al
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 15321
    RE: Top Sirloin steak 2004/06/30 12:27:29 (permalink)

We have pan-fried and broiled them as described by Bill Voss above, but usually a bit thicken in the cut (1 1/2 inch or maybe closer to 1.75 inch). Then slice it thin at an angle for serving. Treating it much like the real "London Broil" in presentation. This is a very flavorful cut of meat, and the marinade can contribute to that flavor.
    1bbqboy
    Filet Mignon
    RE: Top Sirloin steak 2004/06/30 12:41:17 (permalink)
    Mr. Mayor, I agree with you about thickness, but I have real problems finding any supermarket pre-packaged steaks that are cut that thick anymore. Out here, 1" seems to be the standard. I don't like it, but ala Chez Katie, we usually wait for the meat sale and then buy a bunch. If I'm going to pay butcher prices, it's strip steak for us...
    Bill
    hermitt4d
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 367
    RE: Top Sirloin steak 2004/07/03 08:52:49 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by chezkatie

Can this steak be used for Chicken fried steak (which I have never made)?

Should make great CFS, or chili!

Most restaurants use cutlet for CFS, but it's better made with round. I use round pounded thin for CFS fingers.

CFS just about has to be on the menu here. Upcale restaurants use better cuts of meat, including rib eye, sirloin (http://www.houstonpress.com/issues/2002-09-26/bestdish27.html - as the reviewer notes, this is thin cut, rather than pounded thin) and I have a recipe from a restaurant cookbook for CFS made with tenderloin.
    Theedge
    • Total Posts : 1196
    RE: Top Sirloin steak 2004/07/15 20:48:38 (permalink)
    Doh! I did forget the Marsala didn't I. My red sauce consists of whatever I have around the house. Could be from scratch, could be from a can in a scratch. If I have a bottle of wine open I'll throw some of that in as well. A little sugar is good as well. I tend to cook off the cuff.
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1