Top Ten Pancakes

Page: 123 > Showing page 1 of 3
Author
Michael Stern
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1026
2004/01/15 12:52:04 (permalink)

Top Ten Pancakes

We've done another Top-Ten list for Epicurious.com, this one about pancakes. Wow, it was tough limiting the list to just 10; there are so many contenders. On the other hand, in the pancake world, mediocre ones so greatly outnumber good ones that a list of the 10 WORST would be even more challenging. Here's a link to the story:

http://eat.epicurious.com/restaurant/sterns/index.ssf?/restaurant/sterns/pancakes.html

70 Replies Related Threads

tiki
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4140
    RE: Top Ten Pancakes 2004/01/15 13:09:32 (permalink)
    Never had any of them!Guess i've got a long roadtrip to do.huh? But i can say that i would have to add Aunt Martha's Pancake house in Springfield Ms---went there on Bushies rec---4 of us for breakfast---3 of us had different varieties of pancakes--all where great,with the southern cornmeal pancakes being my favorite--with a side of wonderful, bone in ,marrow rich, country ham!!!Been trying to come up with a reason to back to Springfeild ever since!
    scbuzz
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 844
    RE: Top Ten Pancakes 2004/01/15 13:16:05 (permalink)
    I haven't been to any either. Michael, have ya'll ever tried any of them at Myrtle beach ? Just wondering, because there seems to be a plethora of them down there ! I have eaten at several, can't quite remember their names at the moment, but they were good !!

I would love to try the ones on your list, they all sound great !!
    IansMom
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 395
    RE: Top Ten Pancakes 2004/01/15 13:23:41 (permalink)
    A very good family friend of mine (known her for 34 years now) used to be the dessert chef at Pasqual's .. though I've never been...
    i95
    • Total Posts : 2500
    RE: Top Ten Pancakes 2004/01/15 13:42:41 (permalink)
    Polly's Pancake Parlor in New Hampshire is the best !! So glad it made your newest list, Michael & Jane !
    chezkatie
    • Total Posts : 1329
    RE: Top Ten Pancakes 2004/01/15 13:46:49 (permalink)
    The only one that I have been to that is on your list is Polly's Pancake Parlor. We found that in your very first Roadfood book. I can testify that the pancakes are superb but what makes it special to me is that they use REAL maple products! I have seen many a great pancake ruined by the dreadful stuff that is available to put on them.

A very favorite and most unusual place for great pancakes is at DeLeon Springs in Florida. They have a place at the state park called "The Old Spanish Sugar Mill" which is in a beautiful setting and the restaurant is great. You sit at tables with built in griddles and cook your own "all you can eat" pancakes. They bring you pitchers of homemade pancake batters (both a stone ground mixture of five different flours and an unbleached white) and you make your own as you sit there. One can also order any number of things to put on or in your pancake as you cook it. Blueberries are a special favorite. They have three kinds of syrup on the table but we always bring our own real Maple Syprup with us which always gets "ooh's and ahh's" from the managment. They also serve sausage, bacon and eggs to go with your cakes and even have homemade bread for toast.

They have a very small store where you can buy their wonderful homemade breads and a few other things.

The more I write, the more I am wondering why Jane and Michael have not been here yet. It is truly a great "Roadfood" adventure!

stanpnepa
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 577
    RE: Top Ten Pancakes 2004/01/15 14:43:57 (permalink)
    The pancakes at the somewhat nearby (and Stern-praised) Family Diner (in White Haven, PA) would rank way up towards the top of my list, but it's been awhile.

I was there last summer and noticed more limited hours---possibly a management change??? Hey, sounds like an excuse to do some research!
    Pwingsx
    • Total Posts : 2170
    RE: Top Ten Pancakes 2004/01/15 14:47:49 (permalink)
    I went to the Original Pancake in Oregon, the one on the list there, on a road trip from Colorado.

Well.....being kind of a dope, and not much of a traveler, I was unaware of how they would have pitchers of malt vinegar on the table as well as other condiments. Thinking I was picking up syrup, I proceeded to pour vinegar all over my pancakes.

I ate them anyway, after adding syrup. It was very...interesting. Really, not as bad as you might think.

wanderingjew
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 7677
    RE: Top Ten Pancakes 2004/01/15 14:58:19 (permalink)
    I am "udderly" surprised to see that neither of Vermont's finests: Sonny's Blue Benn Diner or Dot's are on the list!" />
    tsores
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 655
    RE: Top Ten Pancakes 2004/01/15 16:43:25 (permalink)
    I have been to Al's and can attest not only to the ambiance, etc., but to the walnut blueberry pancakes. What they call "wally blues." They are rich and delicious. The nuts add just a bit of crunch and with some syrup the sweetness is just right.

I look forward to a return visit sometime.
    Michael Stern
    • Total Posts : 1026
    RE: Top Ten Pancakes 2004/01/15 17:04:58 (permalink)
    WJ: the Blue Benn and Dot's were among the most painful to leave out; but between us, one of the problems with a list like this is that it has to have some kind of geographic balance. Otherwise, if we did a list, for example, of America's top ten barbecues, there would be only two states represented!

And Chezkatie, I've heard of that place in DeLeon Springs, and it sounds great. We need to go!
    signman
    • Total Posts : 1743
    RE: Top Ten Pancakes 2004/01/15 17:34:19 (permalink)
    Where is DeLeon Springs? That sounds like a lot of fun.
    jpatweb
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 232
    RE: Top Ten Pancakes 2004/01/15 18:03:47 (permalink)
    Great list. I've had the pleasure of sampling many of the entries. Some of the writeups attest to a belief of mine that once you cross the Rockies, you enter a sort of pancake exotica zone, where all manner of grains, fruits, and unusual ingredients are tossed into the mix. You can bump into this in the East, but it's much, much more common out West. And I completely agree with the earlier comment about the value of pure maple syrup.

I'd also like to give a shout out to the blue corn pancakes served at the El Tovar Hotel at the Grand Canyon.
    Chumley
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 182
    RE: Top Ten Pancakes 2004/01/15 18:14:29 (permalink)
    Glad to see Pancake Pantry made the list. My wife and I had two wonderful breakfasts there. Although the Pancakes are the star of the show, the home fries there should not be missed. Abandon hope all ye low-carb dieters who enter here!

Locally, Nifty Fifties makes a very nice, fluffy pancake which is better than IHOP or Bob Evans in a pinch but, alas, is not list-worthy.
    lleechef
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6644
    RE: Top Ten Pancakes 2004/01/15 18:20:37 (permalink)
    OK, this is when you know that you spend too much time on Roadfood. Leaving for CA in two days and will have to check out the CA pancakes!
    chezkatie
    • Total Posts : 1329
    RE: Top Ten Pancakes 2004/01/15 19:00:12 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by signman

Where is DeLeon Springs? That sounds like a lot of fun.

It is the most fun way to spend a morning. Deleon Springs is located about 8 miles north of Deland, Florida.........in a rural area and in an absolutely beautiful setting! One of my fave places in Florida......a great way to see "old time Florida"!
    Edwaste
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 168
    RE: Top Ten Pancakes 2004/01/15 19:34:39 (permalink)
    The sampler at Polly's is the best. After all that sweetness and maple, washed down with coffee, we were silly enough to ride that red pony on the lawn. Just down the road a piece is Harmon's country store, that has some great cheese. In case you're still hungry.
    JimInKy
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 599
    RE: Top Ten Pancakes 2004/01/16 00:40:21 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by tiki

Never had any of them!Guess i've got a long roadtrip to do.huh? But i can say that i would have to add Aunt Martha's Pancake house in Springfield Ms---went there on Bushies rec---4 of us for breakfast---3 of us had different varieties of pancakes--all where great,with the southern cornmeal pancakes being my favorite--with a side of wonderful, bone in ,marrow rich, country ham!!!Been trying to come up with a reason to back to Springfeild ever since!

I dearly love southern cornmeal pancakes and use the recipe from the Fannie Flagg cookbook (Fannie Flag Buttermilk Pancakes). Does anyone have a particularly good cornmeal pancake recipe to share? The Fannie Flag recipe in posted in one of the forums (where we discussed buttermilk and baking).
    tiki
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4140
    RE: Top Ten Pancakes 2004/01/16 08:21:03 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by JimInKy

quote:
    Originally posted by tiki

I dearly love southern cornmeal pancakes and use the recipe from the Fannie Flagg cookbook (Fannie Flag Buttermilk Pancakes). Does anyone have a particularly good cornmeal pancake recipe to share? The Fannie Flag recipe in posted in one of the forums (where we discussed buttermilk and baking).

Fannie Flagg cookbook!----i do believe i need that book!
    berndog
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 674
    RE: Top Ten Pancakes 2004/01/16 09:07:43 (permalink)
    I rarely get above the chain diner level for breakfast. About the best blueberry pancakes I have had there are at Bob Evan's. Made with good blueberries mixed into the batter unlike most places where they just pour some berries in blue syrup on top. I also like the pancakes and sausage at Crackerbarrel, one of the few chains that has served a small bottle of real maple syrup with them.
    chicagostyledog
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3285
    RE: Top Ten Pancakes 2004/01/16 16:19:03 (permalink)
    Walker Bros.(www.originalpancakehouse.com) in Highland Park has delicious pancakes, thick crispy bacon, and the finest coffee with real cream. We drive in from Wisconsin on Sundays to enjoy their food.
    Martha-Girl
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 48
    RE: Top Ten Pancakes 2004/01/16 23:09:19 (permalink)
    Glory Be! Carbs aplenty. I am so sick of seeing people wander about with chunks of cheese like mice in the morning.

The Ohop closest to our house burned several years back and never arose, Phoenix-like, from the ashes. In Atlanta, we have to drive for miles and wait in line now for really good b'fast food-one of the great theings about going out west is the breakfast selection
    JimInKy
    Double Cheeseburger
    RE: Top Ten Pancakes 2004/01/17 01:28:56 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Martha-Girl

Glory Be! Carbs aplenty. I am so sick of seeing people wander about with chunks of cheese like mice in the morning.

The Ohop closest to our house burned several years back and never arose, Phoenix-like, from the ashes. In Atlanta, we have to drive for miles and wait in line now for really good b'fast food-one of the great theings about going out west is the breakfast selection

Martha Girl, Where do folks around Atlanta like to go for a truly great breakfast?

In Lexington, Alfalfa's, a whole foods restaurant stands above the rest.

Shakertown, about 30 minutes away, used to have a stunning breakfast buffet (baskets of 2 or 3 fresh, homemade hot breads were brought around to the tables). For years I would take company there for the 9 a.m. Saturday morning seating. I haven't been in a long time so cannot provide an update.
    JimInKy
    Double Cheeseburger
    RE: Top Ten Pancakes 2004/01/17 02:09:10 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by pogophiles

I am very fond of Pancake Pantry, but (as Chumley noted above) their hash browns are superb. I urge you to try them if you come to the Pancake Pantry -- pecan pancakes, country ham and a side of hash browns is a tremendous meal!!

Two of the mentioned menu items would lure me there, but the third almost guarantees a visit and I live 4 hours away. Thanks, Pogo, for adding your endorsement.

Since this thread began on Thursday, I've had two meals of homemade waffles and crispy bacon. The perils of Roadfood.com!

A tip: To fully awaken refrigerated pancake/waffle batter, dissolve 1/2 to 1 teaspoon baking powder in 1 Tablespoon water, and stir into the batter. If batter is still too thick, add 1 or 2 Tablespoons milk.
    Penoose
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 57
    RE: Top Ten Pancakes 2004/01/17 02:17:49 (permalink)
    >>Original Pancake House<<

We have a few of these in Detroit. Fantastic.

The Big Apple and the German are indeed the "showstoppers," but there's so much more...

The omelets are one-of-a-kind, with a light, fluffy texture (baked?) that literally melts in your mouth. Also, the 49'er flap jacks - rich, thin, and gooey, almost like crepes - are sublime.

P.j.
    Martha-Girl
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 48
    RE: Top Ten Pancakes 2004/01/17 18:49:02 (permalink)
    Jim-
    We still go to the Ohop-its just not as convenient.

When we have to be down near the airport at breakfast time (which we try to avoid, generally), the Barbecue Kitchen in College Park is pretty good, but the breakfast potatoes just don't quite do it for me...Since I don't do eggs, I look for good breads/potatoes/breakfast meats in a breakfast place.

And of course, Atlanta is the home of Waffle House, and there's one on every corner and when they're busy it's mesmerizing to sit at the counter and watch the show.
    JimInKy
    Double Cheeseburger
    RE: Top Ten Pancakes 2004/01/18 06:18:09 (permalink)
    tiki, I posted the Southern Buttermilk Pancakes recipe in the forum: Flapstix. In this traditional recipe, well-beaten eggs are folded into the batter and whole buttermilk is used. This recipe makes people very happy.
    danimal15
    • Total Posts : 1092
    RE: Top Ten Pancakes 2004/01/26 16:51:33 (permalink)
    It's hard to believe, but aside from the one and only apple pancake dished out by the Original Pancake House and Walker Bros. at locations around town, the best pancakes I've had in Chicago come from another chain: The Golden Nugget. Hard to believe, because the place is only average otherwise and it's not a "roadfood" type place at all, but the pancakes are definitely worth a try. (I've only been to the one on North Clark Street in Lincoln Park, so I can't vouch for the rest). Still, no restaurant can cook pancakes quite like my mom - and she uses Bisquick! She somehow makes them so that the edges, and just the edges, get slightly crisp and golden brown. I haven't had breakfast at my parents' place for years, so I really miss those.
    katmaan
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 47
    RE: Top Ten Pancakes 2004/01/29 11:39:39 (permalink)
    I'm a real pancake junkie but have found very ffew eateries that make good ones. They are usually flat and rubbery and either over or under cooked. This top ten list will comme in handy, especially next week when I'll be in Nashville. I will check out Pancake Pantry for sure.
    Does anyone know of other good eats in Nashville. i have tried all the ones on the list so looking for something else.
    Also, can anyone suggest a good pancake in Ohio? I have found none that I'd try a second time.

Thanks,

Katmaan
    Tristan Indiana
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 328
    RE: Top Ten Pancakes 2004/02/09 11:10:36 (permalink)
    When I lived in Berkeley CA back in the '90s there were 2 places to go to for great Sunday breakfast. First was Fat Apples (formerly Fat Alberts but I think they ran afoul of Bill Cosby) for wonderful pancakes, waffles, sausage links et. al. Long line to get in but worth it. Second was the Homemade Cafe. More low key but fantastic breakfasts. Haven't had breakfast like that since I left.
    Page: 123 > Showing page 1 of 3
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1