Top Ten Soda Fountains

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
Michael Stern
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1037
2003/07/16 12:16:35 (permalink)

Top Ten Soda Fountains

In time for that summer sweet tooth, Epicurious.com has just posted our list of 10 favorite soda fountains here: http://eat.epicurious.com/restaurant/sterns/index.ssf?/restaurant/sterns/sodafountains.html

38 Replies Related Threads

CheeseWit
    • Total Posts : 1394
    RE: Top Ten Soda Fountains 2003/07/16 12:27:49 (permalink)
    I love Longacre's in Bally, PA. I haven't taken JaneDough there yet, but I'm sure she'll love it. I really miss soda fountains in drug stores. Seems like all the independently owned drug stores are being gobbled up by drug and supermarket chains.
    kangolpimp
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 119
    RE: Top Ten Soda Fountains 2003/07/16 12:55:02 (permalink)
    In Scottsburg, Indiana there is a drug store with a soda fountain that serves homemade orangeade that they make right in front of you from fresh-squeezed oranges. This may have been the most delicious beverage I have ever tasted in my life. I can't remember the name of the place, but it is the only drug store soda fountain in town, so shouldn't be hard to ask for if you ever find yourself in that part of the country. They have very cheap lunch counter food, too, such as tasty hamburgers and grilled cheese sandwiches. These were priced at around a dollar each but this was in the mid 1990s, could be higher now. They have full fountain service such as shakes and malts, but nothing came close to the orangeade which I still dream of!
    M&M
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 106
    RE: Top Ten Soda Fountains 2003/07/16 14:38:57 (permalink)
    The list is right on point when it includes Crown Candy Kitchen in St. Louis. The banana malted is unsurpassed. Crown is not in the best part of town but the place is always packed with assorted lawyers, judges, pols, cops, townsfold, etc. You never know who you might see at Crown. I've had the distinct privilege, owing to friendship with a policeman regular, to tour the the backrooms at Crown. Large vats of chocolate waiting to be molded into assorted candies fill the rooms. Molds from years and years ago line the shelves. Crown is an experience not to be missed on a trip to Mound City.
    peppertree
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 305
    RE: Top Ten Soda Fountains 2003/07/17 18:41:47 (permalink)
    Here in Austin, there is still a drug store with a soda fountain, including malted milk shakes. (In Brooklyn we call them malteds). They are called Nau's Drug Store. They are on a quiet street on the west side of Austin.
    They have not changed in fifty years I have been told.

Two other good malteds here are at Dirty's Cum Back Hamburgers near UT and Players' also near UT.
    Route 11
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 755
    RE: Top Ten Soda Fountains 2003/07/21 13:07:15 (permalink)
    Didn't see Timberlake's in Charlottesville, VA. Great egg creams and sandwiches! Earl Hamner has written about it (he's the brain behind *The Waltons*).

My family owned a drug store lunch counter in Orange, VA. It's long gone, but it make me happy to see they're not really a dying breed.
    CCJPO
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 543
    RE: Top Ten Soda Fountains 2003/07/21 18:13:25 (permalink)
    As a former Soda Jerk, in the 60's, some just called me a jerk, some still do. I worked at TAGGART'S ICE CREAM SHOPPE on Fulton RD, near 14th street, in Canton, Ohio. They make all their own ice cream, up to 20% butterfat, and sherberts in the back room. It was great fun, but I hated cleaning the cans in the basement on Saturdays.

That said I think the STERN'S need to make a visit, as it certainly should be on their top 10 list. If only for the BITTNER SPECIAL, 5 scoops of vanilla icer cream, a squirt or so of home made chocolate sauce, blended, then a scoop of pecans on top. If not for that the their chocolate pecan, or butter pecan or coffee ice cream. As well as the othe confectionary's they make.

As an Ice Cream lover, who has enjoyed the products from EDGAR'S, they make their sodas the same way I learned how, as well as, LAGOMARCINO'S, LONGACRE'S, ZAHARKO'S, the BUNNY, and YOUNG'S, I think TAGGART'S deserves a try.

Some people search out clam shacks, others Pizza or Wings, I search out ice cream parlors. ENJOY
    fafaru
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 4
    RE: Top Ten Soda Fountains 2003/11/24 19:34:25 (permalink)
    Just fiinished going from New York to Seattle, mostly along I-80. Stopped at Lagomarcino's in Moline and it was wonderful, as advertised. In the "memory lane" department, I stopped in Sidney, Iowa to see if an old Roadfood edition listing was still there. Although it is called Penn Pharmacy in the book, it is Penn Drug and in business since 1867. The young lady took about ten minutes to make me a delicious ice cream soda and then charged me $1.25. Definitely worth detouring off I-80- if you plan it right, you can go through Bridges of Madison County territory (Winterset) and then on to Stanton for Susie's Kitchen- closed for me because of a football game- and then on to Sidney.
    marberthenad
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 509
    RE: Top Ten Soda Fountains 2003/12/05 20:56:57 (permalink)
    Wow. Another great list. Everytime I see one of these lists, it makes me want to visit the town in which these places are located.

Just before moving to Washington, DC our local and historic drugstore had to end its soda fountain, due to some renovations they did. Everyone misses it ....
    JimInKy
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 599
    RE: Top Ten Soda Fountains 2003/12/08 20:50:30 (permalink)
    There's a soda fountain in a long established Fredericksburg, Virginia pharmacy that claims the World's Best Milk Shakes. A sandwich board on the front sidewalk says so.

The place is Goolrick's Modern Pharmacy, better known as Goolrick's, and it's on the corner of Caroline and George Streets. I have to say they do make great chocolate malts (and good egg salad sandwiches, too).

When I was there, a local lady sat next to us and ordered a cherry milk shake. Being unfamiliar with this flavor of shake, I asked if it was a favorite and she graciously shared some of hers with me. It was so good I returned the following afternoon so I could have a whole one.

lleechef
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 7370
    RE: Top Ten Soda Fountains 2003/12/09 12:12:09 (permalink)
    I was fortunate on my recent trip to Iowa/South Dakota/Nebraska to have visited two of the top ten: Wells' Blue Bunny in Le Mars, Iowa and Edgars in Elk Point, SD. One word sums it up: awesome, awesome, awesome.
    JimInKy
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 599
    RE: Top Ten Soda Fountains 2003/12/09 13:49:39 (permalink)
    Fredericksburg is also home to Carl's, a famous and beloved custard stand on Princess Anne street that's only open part of the year. Carl takes off for Florida in the winter, but re-opens mid-February. No matter the weather on opening day (even a foot of snow!) there will be a line wrapped around the building!

Every time I've visited Carl's there's been a line, sometimes a very long line. But the line moves fast since Carl's only sells about 5 or 6 dairy items. Going to Carl's is a community event and every warm weather evening, hundreds flock there to see friends and enjoy the ice cream custard.

It's worth a visit to see the custard machine that actually cranks out Carl's custard. The machine is huge. It's also an antique as machinery goes - really a museum piece worthy of the Smithsonian. Somehow, they maintain it and watching it dispense a steady flow of ice cream custard is fascinating.
    DanaJ
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 71
    RE: Top Ten Soda Fountains 2003/12/14 17:40:28 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by CheeseWit

I love Longacre's in Bally, PA. I haven't taken JaneDough there yet, but I'm sure she'll love it. I really miss soda fountains in drug stores. Seems like all the independently owned drug stores are being gobbled up by drug and supermarket chains.

I've passed that place many times, but never got the chance to stop.
    Obviously longacre's is pretty famous in this area.
    Ort. Carlton.
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3589
    RE: Top Ten Soda Fountains 2003/12/14 19:48:43 (permalink)
    Dearfolk,
    Has anyone ever been to Emery Ice Cream in New Albany, Indiana? It was stuck off on a side street that I just happened down because Ruby (1973 Buick) wanted to see what was down there bavk in 1987 or so....
    How about Zaharias' (spelling optional!) in Columbus, Indiana?
    And what about The Wilton Candy Kitchen in Wilton, Iowa? I'll take a green lizard there sometime next Summer, God willing.
    Hmmm. Let me check to find out if The University Of Georgia Creamery still has a retail store that makes sundaes, etc. - I'll get back to you on this one.
    Neopolitanly, Ort. Carlton in All-Too-Vanilla-At-Times Athens, Georgia.
    P. S. The Grill here in Athens, Georgia handmakes SCRUMPTUOUS milkshakes. Their Christmas Party is tonight, so I'll have to go pretty soon if I want to scarf down any of their famous once-a-year jerk salmon.
    lamertz
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 290
    RE: Top Ten Soda Fountains 2003/12/14 22:41:45 (permalink)
    How about Zaharako's (Columbus,In) indeed! Great turn-of-the-century building with lots of frothy Victorian details. And the soda fountain is a dream.The best part is that it has not been redone to be "cute" but left as was. Cool place.
    Just returned from the great Northwest where I pigged out on jerk Salmon every which way. I got some in everyother gas station too! My favorite was in Washington on the Olympic Penninsula. Terryaki-probably more sodium than my year's allowance.
    chinesegirl
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 61
    RE: Top Ten Soda Fountains 2003/12/15 18:45:17 (permalink)
    The best root beer float I had was in Baton Rouge, LA. I don't remember the name. It's a retro looking diner place off the high way that serve root beer in a frosty mug. I really miss it.
    olphart
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 289
    RE: Top Ten Soda Fountains 2003/12/30 08:38:10 (permalink)
    I couldn't help but notice the locations of the listed soda fountains - they are all in the Midwest or near there. That's really objective, doncha think?
    barclaybotch
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 1
    RE: Top Ten Soda Fountains 2003/12/30 09:36:39 (permalink)
    I have to second what CCJPO said about Taggarts in Canton, Ohio. It has been an institution for nearly 50 years! The Bitner is a perfect example of how a few simple (but high quality)ingredients combine to make a dessert that is transcendent. While on the topic of Canton, many of the East coast, former Cantonians I know agree that it is the home of four or five of the most unique and delicious pizzas in the nation. Canton would be a great destination for the Sterns.
    haximon
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 16
    RE: Top Ten Soda Fountains 2003/12/30 13:18:01 (permalink)
    Elliston Place Soda Shop, Nashville, TN. Original 30s decor and top notch food to boot!
    Chumley
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 182
    RE: Top Ten Soda Fountains 2003/12/30 15:38:14 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by DanaJ

quote:
    Originally posted by CheeseWit

I've passed that place many times, but never got the chance to stop.
    Obviously longacre's is pretty famous in this area.

Longacre's is indeed terrific and well worth a long drive. Closer to Philadelphia is another destination of note, Nifty Fifty's, which is a very small Philadelphia-based chain. Although it is a completely different animal from Longacre's, they can and do make hundreds of different flavored sodas and milkshakes. My current favorite is Strawberry Ginger Ale but the combinations can get way more exotic than that. They also make very good McDonald's style hamburgers and french fries, from scratch. They are infinitely better than their fast-food counterparts.
    Tristan Indiana
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 328
    RE: Top Ten Soda Fountains 2004/04/29 11:21:08 (permalink)
    I can't believe I grew up within 20 miles of Columbus, IN and never heard of Zaharako's. I'll have to drive down some Saturday and check it out. Anyone remember Farrells Ice Cream Parlors? There was one in Indy in the early 70s but it closed. When I moved west in the 80s, I found one in the San Gabriel valley, El Monte or Rosemead I think. They weren't the best, but I remember that they had a double banana split on the menu that they served in a dish that looked like a trough. If you finished one, you had to stand up and yell " I made a pig of myself at Farrells". Never could get through one.
    chicagostyledog
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3323
    RE: Top Ten Soda Fountains 2004/04/29 23:59:00 (permalink)
    Andrea's is a unique Kenosha, Wisconsin home town gift shop and cafe featuring an award winning cigar and tobacco shop and an original old style soda fountain. Andrea's is celebrating 93 years and four generations in Kenosha. The fountain creations are as close to the originals I experienced at my father's drug store soda fountain back in 1950. The malts, sodas, and sundaes rank as high as the Original Buffalo's in Chicago on Irving Park & Pulaski. A sign on the wall at Andrea's read "None Better." I agree.
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 335
    RE: Top Ten Soda Fountains 2004/05/01 01:50:24 (permalink)
    I wonder if any Walgreens drug stores still have soda fountains.
    Steve Hirsch
    Junior Burger
    RE: Top Ten Soda Fountains 2006/08/07 16:14:31 (permalink)
    Don't know if these are still as good as they used to be (20+ years ago) but Dove's, famous for the Dove Bar, and Gerties on Chicago's south side were really good.
    Poverty Pete
    • Total Posts : 2329
    RE: Top Ten Soda Fountains 2006/08/07 18:08:37 (permalink)
    There's a little place in Lynnville, Tn., called Soda Pop Junction. May not make a top ten list, but worth visiting, nonetheless.
    Oneiron339
    • Total Posts : 2075
    RE: Top Ten Soda Fountains 2006/08/08 07:26:44 (permalink)
    The Jigger Shop in Mt. Gretna, PA is right up there as well.
    roadrash
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 231
    RE: Top Ten Soda Fountains 2006/08/08 11:44:37 (permalink)
    The food is not so great, the air conditioning doesn't quite keep up with Phoenix's 110+ degree days, and the menu quite limited (nothing fried, for example), but Macalpine's in Phoenix (on 7th Street northbound between McDowell and Thomas streets) is still worth checking out. They made me a great chocolate/chocolate shake which was quite enjoyable after a very nondescript burger.
    Sfreader
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 503
    RE: Top Ten Soda Fountains 2006/08/08 14:57:38 (permalink)
    The counter at the Corner Pharmacy in Leavenworth, Kansas is worth making a special effort to visit.

The food is excellent and the prices will help take you back in time. A great hand dipped shake served in a tall fountain glass with extra milkshake in the metal malt-cup on the side is only $2.39. The food is even a bigger bargain. A hamburger is only $1.49, a cup of homemade soup in $1.19, and the daily special the last time I visited was a hot dog, fries and a 14 ounce soft drink for only $1.99!

You can even get a phosphate or Green River soda - "First for Thirst Since 1919."

The 101 year old building that houses the pharmacy is gorgeous.

Keith
    buffetbuster
    Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 10513
    RE: Top Ten Soda Fountains 2006/08/08 15:27:44 (permalink)
    I have only been to six of the top 10 listed, with Lagomarcino's in Moline, Illinois being my favorite. Charming place with a fantastic hot fudge sundae!

Here in Pittsburgh, we still have Klavon's down in the Strip District. www.klavonsicecream.com It has been open since 1923 and serves Reinhold's ice cream, a good not great, local brand. It is well worth the visit.
    KingKokomo
    Junior Burger
    RE: Top Ten Soda Fountains 2006/08/10 04:11:05 (permalink)
    Hi, just found this site and registered, I love it, this is my first post. I'd like to put in my two cents (plain) for Jamie's Soda Fountain in the great metropolis of Kokomo, Indiana. It has old fashioned malts, ice cream sodas, and the only Green Rivers I've been able to find since I was a lad. Plus, they have a great and cheap menu of sandwiches and such--try the fried ham salad if you get a chance. Once again, I'm so happy I found this website, keep up the great work!
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1