Topeka Pickle Recipe

Author
Oldfart
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 2
2003/10/21 21:08:51 (permalink)

Topeka Pickle Recipe

I am on a quest for a pickle recipe: They called them "Topeka Pickles" and were sold at the Kansas City Barbecue in San Diego. The pickles were dipped out of a big jar and were sold whole, not quartered or sliced. First time you bite into one, you immediately get this intense horseradish vapor rush, and think your head is gonna explode. Then the effect quickly goes away, with no unpleasant after effects. Once you know what to expect, these are fun to eat, go great with beer, barbeque, etc.

I've tried recipies for "horseradish pickles" found on the internet, tried soaking pickles in horseradish, nothing seems to work. There was no sweet taste to Topeka Pickles, no other taste in fact except horseradish. I hope someone here can give me some guidance about how to make these suckers -- thanks!

2 Replies Related Threads

Michael Stern
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1037
    RE: Topeka Pickle Recipe 2003/10/22 01:36:47 (permalink)
    This recipe works for us ... from Porubsky's Grocery in Topeka, where the pickles are served with winter chili:

1 32-ounce jar kosher dill pickle halves (about four large pickles), with brine
    ½ cup prepared horseradish
    1 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
    Pour the brine from the pickle jar into a large bowl. Mix the horseradish and cayenne pepper into the brine, Cut the pickles into large bite-size pieces and reimmerse them in the brine. Cover and refrigerate several hours or overnight.
    Oldfart
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 2
    RE: Topeka Pickle Recipe 2003/10/22 12:09:31 (permalink)
    Michael - I've tried a recipe similar to the one you posted, good but nothing like the Topeka Pickles I've had. Good try -- Thanks!

It mystifies me how that horseradish vapor blast can be installed inside of a whole pickle. I'm beginning to wonder if they grow them that way -- is there a variety of pickle that is crossed somehow with horseradish, or will pickles pick up tastes from what they are grown in (in a bed of horseradish, for instance)??
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1