Locked[FAQ]Topic Rating Abuse

Page: < 1234 > Showing page 2 of 4
Author
Baah Ben
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3026
Re:Topic Rating Abuse 2009/02/19 12:20:26 (permalink)
TJ - Why wouldn't he get the lay of the land before jumping into this bonfire?

JayJ had sufficient time to read some of the nastiness that appeared on this site over the past few months, if he chose to do so.  Why not give him the benefit of the doubt instead of attacking the poor guy as soon as he gets on the site.  

Perhaps if more people got to know the posters before posting themselves, fewer would be intimidated, feel blindsided and run off never to post again.

All I know is what he had to say suited me just fine.  It was long over due.  I applaud his comments.  Welcome to the site JayJ! 
Stephen Rushmore Jr.
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 2130
Re:Topic Rating Abuse 2009/02/19 12:26:39 (permalink)
Oh cmon, we all know JayJ is the former Larry-ribrater-jay, which makes his post even more entertaining.
AaronM
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 196
Re:Topic Rating Abuse 2009/02/19 12:34:07 (permalink)
There is a rating system?

Why?

Anyway...back to FOOD...

wanderingjew
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 7905
Re:Topic Rating Abuse 2009/02/19 12:39:55 (permalink)
Stephen Rushmore Jr.

Oh cmon, we all know JayJ is the former Larry-ribrater-jay, which makes his post even more entertaining.

I knew right off the bat- a 5th grader could have figured that one out!
joerogo
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4544
Re:Topic Rating Abuse 2009/02/19 14:03:42 (permalink)
I know that I am in the minority, but I thought the system could work.  Looking at the sitation as it stands right now, I was wrong.  This single feature caused a lot of hurt and hostility on this site.  And all of it was unnecessary.  Because I was such a strong supporter of the point system, let me say to everyone who was harmed by it, I am sorry.     

Remember, this is not about rating people, but about the posts they make.  And just about everyone on this site posts in a positive, funny and informative way.  I agree it would be better if your name was attached to the star rating you gave, but I guess that is not possible(is it?).  The system was never meant to allow members to stalk other members.  Stephen say's "The line has been drawn in the sand", I believe him.  Nobody wants to put up with nonsense like this.

Now, let me get back to the latest trip report. 

ScreamingChicken
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5148
Re:Topic Rating Abuse 2009/02/19 14:27:07 (permalink)
Joe,

I don't think you owe anyone an apology for the behavior of others.  The only thing you're guilty of is believing that people could act in a responsible, adult manner, which sadly isn't the case for some.

But it's a nice gesture on your part.

Brad
ChiTownDiner
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 2998
Re:Topic Rating Abuse 2009/02/19 14:44:35 (permalink)
Brad_Olson

Joe,

I don't think you owe anyone an apology for the behavior of others.  The only thing you're guilty of is believing that people could act in a responsible, adult manner, which sadly isn't the case for some.

But it's a nice gesture on your part.

Brad

Agreed!
Davydd
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6396
Re:Topic Rating Abuse 2009/02/19 15:08:20 (permalink)
This is from the ASPPlayground.NET FAQ board. It says you can turn off post rating system. I take it the decision lies with board management and not the software.

Q: Does ASPPlayground.NET support post rating / user rating AND user ranking system?

Yes we do. ASPPlayground.NET by default supports post rating and user ranking system and both are configurable through our admin panel. You can:
  • Turn on/off post rating system
  • Create user ranks and/or modify our existing 5 ranks (comes with base installation) from admin panel.

Post Rating / User Rating:

Your members can rate a particular user by rating his posts. That particular user will receive corresponding scores with his rated posts.

User Ranking:

User ranking system can be either an integral part of the post rating system or as a stand-alone system. You as an Admin can choose whether to rank your users based on their post ratings or not. Our user ranking system can be configured to use
  1. member' s post count
  2. member' s post rating
  3. 1. and / or 2.

as the base to determine users' ranks. It is highly configurable and flexible and is ultra-fast (client-side instead of server-side processing).
John A
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4295
Re:Topic Rating Abuse 2009/02/19 17:06:28 (permalink)
Davydd

This is from the ASPPlayground.NET FAQ board. It says you can turn off post rating system. I take it the decision lies with board management and not the software.

Q: Does ASPPlayground.NET support post rating / user rating AND user ranking system?

Yes we do. ASPPlayground.NET by default supports post rating and user ranking system and both are configurable through our admin panel. You can:
  • Turn on/off post rating system
  • Create user ranks and/or modify our existing 5 ranks (comes with base installation) from admin panel.

Post Rating / User Rating:

Your members can rate a particular user by rating his posts. That particular user will receive corresponding scores with his rated posts.

User Ranking:

User ranking system can be either an integral part of the post rating system or as a stand-alone system. You as an Admin can choose whether to rank your users based on their post ratings or not. Our user ranking system can be configured to use
  1. member' s post count
  2. member' s post rating
  3. 1. and / or 2.

as the base to determine users' ranks. It is highly configurable and flexible and is ultra-fast (client-side instead of server-side processing).

Did ASPPlayground provide the software? If so it appears easy enough to eliminate it.

I said it when the rating system was first introduced and I'll say it again. I do not have a problem with the rating program provided posters are required to post in the sunshine, not hidden in the dark.

Baah Ben
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3026
Re:Topic Rating Abuse 2009/02/19 19:10:15 (permalink)
Brad - Well put!  Thank you.
post edited by Baah Ben - 2009/02/19 19:11:18
mr chips
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4727
Re:Topic Rating Abuse 2009/02/19 22:11:27 (permalink)
Wow,  i wish I could raise a ruckus. Guess it is time to be boring again.
post edited by mr chips - 2009/02/20 21:22:13
mbrookes
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1355
Re:Topic Rating Abuse 2009/02/20 13:41:44 (permalink)
I don't even see any ratings, or do I not know where to look? I don't know what a bunch of the symbols used mean. Ah, well, I can still enjoy the conversation.
Davydd
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6396
Re:Topic Rating Abuse 2009/02/20 13:52:24 (permalink)
mbrookes

I don't even see any ratings, or do I not know where to look? I don't know what a bunch of the symbols used mean. Ah, well, I can still enjoy the conversation.

Click on a person's name to view their public profile and see their rating. Stephen at one time had the rating showing up in the member's info at the message but he removed that bit of info. The major complaint here was the descriptor below the name thought to be tied to number of posts changed to "quack, quack, quack" and then later "lurker" when one dipped into a negative rating. That is demeaning and it was happening to longtime dedicated roadfoodist here anonymously.
DougS
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 476
Re:Topic Rating Abuse 2009/02/20 15:12:11 (permalink)
jman

I don't know why anyone should feel the need to rate someone.  To me, it's equivalent to talking behind one's back. 
Agree! seems like a immature option to rate other posters.

If a person can't respond to a post in an adult manner, they should go back to etiquette school. From most everyone's comments; the rating system is more problematic than helpful. Why keep it? Why keep flogging a dead horse if it can no longer make it to the finish line?

I also respect the fact, that forum management has the right to any content and the right to manage a forum as they see fit. They do make mistakes and it is nothing wrong with correcting mistakes; unless of course, they enjoy hearing grown people cry.

Solutions to problems are usually simple. People make them difficult.
PapaJoe8
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5504
Re:Topic Rating Abuse 2009/02/20 16:48:36 (permalink)
Doug, that's a profundaty. I like it!

There is a very famous backgammon, and poker player, known as "quack quack". He likes being called that. He is also known as X22.
Joe
ellen4641
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3531
Re:Topic Rating Abuse 2009/02/20 21:32:09 (permalink)
PapaJoe8

Doug, that's a profundaty. I like it!

There is a very famous backgammon, and poker player, known as "quack quack". He likes being called that. He is also known as X22.
Joe

Hey, Papa Joe,
I think we've got a "six degrees of separation"  here!
I believe you are talking about Paul Magriel, who is also a poker player!
I used to deal to him a lot in Vegas back in the 80's.
Good guy, including his quirky personality...
ellen4641
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3531
Re:Topic Rating Abuse 2009/02/20 21:43:18 (permalink)
I see that I'm only worth half as much as I used to be a few months ago!   I dropped by half , just like I did in the stock market.

The only other time I checked, I was a 57, and now I'm a 31.
Uh, oh....
(guess I must've snuck over to that fast food forum a few too many times. That can make anyone real unpopular real quick.
LOL)
HDtravlr1
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 289
Re:Topic Rating Abuse 2009/02/20 22:22:47 (permalink)
ellen4641

I(guess I must've snuck over to that fast food forum a few too many times. That can make anyone real unpopular real quick.
LOL)

Ellen I also became unpopular in the fast food forum! Those post raters seem to love to hate that forum.

FriedClamFanatic
  • Total Posts : 1733
Re:Topic Rating Abuse 2009/02/20 22:28:21 (permalink)
ellen4641

I see that I'm only worth half as much as I used to be a few months ago!   I dropped by half , just like I did in the stock market.

The only other time I checked, I was a 57, and now I'm a 31.
Uh, oh....
(guess I must've snuck over to that fast food forum a few too many times. That can make anyone real unpopular real quick.
LOL)

Jeeez, Ellen, if we were talking age or weight here, you'd be pleased!  LOL (You're still a 5-star poster and a 10 in all of our hearts, no matter what the dumb computer says!)
Tony Bad
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 5116
Re:Topic Rating Abuse 2009/02/20 22:31:52 (permalink)
DougS

Agree! seems like a immature option to rate other posters.

If a person can't respond to a post in an adult manner, they should go back to etiquette school. From most everyone's comments; the rating system is more problematic than helpful. Why keep it? Why keep flogging a dead horse if it can no longer make it to the finish line?

I also respect the fact, that forum management has the right to any content and the right to manage a forum as they see fit. They do make mistakes and it is nothing wrong with correcting mistakes; unless of course, they enjoy hearing grown people cry.

Solutions to problems are usually simple. People make them difficult.

Just a couple of comments....not aimed at you DougS...you just happened to repeat a couple of things that have been written a few times here and elsewhere.

Please note, these are my opinions only, not an official view on the topic...

1. The system is intended to rate posts, not people. I agree that rating people is silly, but when prompted to rate something it clearly says "rate post". 

2. You ask "Why keep flogging a dead horse if it can no longer make it to the finish line?", however, the problem isn't with the horse, but with the jockey(s). The failure of this system to work is a people problem, not a programming problem. The "horse" worked fine, it was the jockey who made a wrong turn and wound up far afield. If or when the plug gets pulled it will be because people couldn't deal with the system like adults.

3. You wrote "From most everyone's comments; the rating system is more problematic than helpful.", but are basing this on a very small percentage of members who have voiced negative opinions. They may be very representative of what others think, or they may not. Neither of us really know. I can tell you that from the very start I have gotten messages of complaints, but also some from quieter members who like the system as a non-confrontational way to tell others they are not a fan of what they posted or that they really like a certain type of posts and would like to encorage more.

4. Lastly, you write about making mistakes. I had no say in this rating system appearing, nor will I have a say if it disappears, I have just spent a lot of time hearing complaints and untangling messes it has created...but if you ask me, the only mistake made was over estimating the capacity of some to act politely and responsibly. That said, it must be made clear that it has actually been a very, very small number of people who have abused this system and created a world of bad and hurt feelings.

post edited by Tony Bad - 2009/02/20 22:36:00
MikeS.
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 5466
Re:Topic Rating Abuse 2009/02/21 00:56:09 (permalink)
"That said, it must be made clear that it has actually been a very, very small number of people who have abused this system and created a world of bad and hurt feelings. "

And a few of those have flat out lied about not using the system. This will no longer be tolerated. You have been warned.

Fieldthistle
  • Total Posts : 1948
Re:Topic Rating Abuse 2009/02/21 02:16:27 (permalink)
Hello All,
I never understood how to rate, where to even see who or what was
rated, and...in other words, I am ignorant of it all.  Rather,
I have just been reading what has been posted in the threads.
It is simply natural to assume this would cause problems because
no one likes negative responses to a topic we would post or to
ourselves as individuals.  It would feel like a cyber-assault against us.
What is the purpose of the rating system?  To steer me away from a
topic?  Actually, where can I view the ratings?
I think I tried once to rate something and am not sure I did or didn't.
I also once sent a private message to someone and am not sure if
they received it. 
Oh, well, I'll just keep reading what is in the threads and be
cautious as to what I post.
Take Care,
Fieldthistle

wheregreggeats.com
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4615
Re:Topic Rating Abuse 2009/02/21 08:04:20 (permalink)
MikeS.

"That said, it must be made clear that it has actually been a very, very small number of people who have abused this system and created a world of bad and hurt feelings. "

Then "zap" them and let's move on.

joerogo
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4544
Re:Topic Rating Abuse 2009/02/21 08:35:49 (permalink)
Tony Bad
The "horse" worked fine, it was the jockey who made a wrong turn and wound up far afield.

And this is coming from a Guy with a "String of Poloponies"

PapaJoe8
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5504
Re:Topic Rating Abuse 2009/02/21 10:11:52 (permalink)
Ellen, yep it's Paul who is sometimes known as "quack quack". The x22 comes from a backgammon tournament he played w/ himself x 100. # 22 won the tourney. Yes, he is a nice, and real smart guy. Oh, ahhh to be 31 again!

Field, please post as you like and don't worry about the ratings.

When I first noticed the rating thing I said to myself that this will be a problem.

How about a poll to see who wants it to stay or go away? I have a prediction as to how the poll would turn out.

I would vote "go away" as it bothers some folks. I don't even look at my rating.
Joe
Joe
sizz
  • Total Posts : 1688
Re:Topic Rating Abuse 2009/02/21 11:45:25 (permalink)
MikeS.

And a few of those have flat out lied about not using the system. This will no longer be tolerated. You have been warned.

Tony Bad
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 5116
Re:Topic Rating Abuse 2009/02/21 14:45:54 (permalink)
joerogo

Tony Bad
The "horse" worked fine, it was the jockey who made a wrong turn and wound up far afield.

And this is coming from a Guy with a "String of Poloponies"

Don't start rumors Joe...for the record,  I do not possess a villa in France, a yacht, or a string of poloponies!

sizz
  • Total Posts : 1688
Re:Topic Rating Abuse 2009/02/21 16:17:08 (permalink)
 I cant believe I was not given a 5 star rating for my contribution above ......... oh well back to the drawing board, looks like I'll always be a negative -4
Rick F.
  • Total Posts : 1736
Re:Topic Rating Abuse 2009/02/21 16:21:13 (permalink)
FT, you're one of the good guys. Post as you wish and throw caution to the winds! I always appreciate your comments!

mudbug
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 130
Re:Topic Rating Abuse 2009/02/21 16:30:49 (permalink)
Put me down as someone squarely against a rating system.Now-what and where is this rating system?
Page: < 1234 > Showing page 2 of 4
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1