Locked[FAQ]Topic Rating Abuse

Page: < 1234 Showing page 4 of 4
Author
mr chips
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4727
Re:Topic Rating Abuse 2009/02/24 10:37:26 (permalink)
I've hesitated to comment very seriously on this stuff mostly because it has not affected me personally very much. I'm sorry to see the pain that was felt by people and hope to see a lessening of the hurtful posts. There are so many people here I've had the joy to meet and many more whom I hope to meet and would like to see the nastiness stop. I'm probably not going to rate anybody.  

post edited by mr chips - 2009/02/24 11:10:58
buffetbuster
Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 10225
Re:Topic Rating Abuse 2009/02/24 10:44:53 (permalink)
enginecapt-
You are right!  Thank you!
WarToad
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1846
Re:Topic Rating Abuse 2009/02/24 11:57:21 (permalink)
Just to let you know how attentive I am, I've been completely unaware there even was a rating system on me or anyone else!  LOL! I'm still kinda in the dak as to how exactly it works.
ken8038
  • Total Posts : 1595
Re:Topic Rating Abuse 2009/02/24 13:04:51 (permalink)
<<Ellen, you should have checked first...you still have 31 points.

Now it looks like Ellen has 37 points. Sorry if I mislead anybody but I saw what I saw and it was zero points at the time I looked.
Maybe the point system was down for maintenance or something.

In any event, Ellen, please keep posting, your trip reports are always great and informative and excellent for reference. (The reason I noticed your point total in the first place was I was looking for your thread on Irvings Deli in preparation for a visit I plan to make there, and I happened to notice it.)

I agree with you that the number of posts seems to be declining in general. I can understand how discouraging it is for you put so much effort into the reports only to see the report thread die out in a few days. My last few trip reports generated very little response but I'm happy to have done them, even if it's just for myself. I wish I had done trip reports for myself for every trip I've made in last 10 years. Even if nobody else read them, it would be fun to have them all documented and be able to look back at them from time to time.

-Ken (somehow up to 4 points now).
David_NYC
  • Total Posts : 2164
Re:Topic Rating Abuse 2009/02/24 13:13:27 (permalink)
Davydd

As for turning your profile private, I think that is an unfriendly move in that it also turns off the ability for people to follow you in other posting comments and threads you may have started. But so be it if that is the kind of participant you want to be.

Davydd,
You can still search for my messages by using the search function, putting in my screen name as author. Even unregistered guests can use that feature to see my posts.

ADDENDUM: A private profile also does not prevent someone from critiquing my threads or comments. They will just have to do it publicly.
post edited by David_NYC - 2009/02/25 10:13:16
jbs780
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 43
Re:Topic Rating Abuse 2009/02/24 13:40:27 (permalink)
Uh...could someone please explain the whole rating thing to me.  What is this all about?  Are there consequences for being in the negative range?  I thought I was a jr. burger...or whatever because I've only made a few posts...newbie to positing, been registered awhile, but only started posting a few days ago.    
harriet1954
  • Total Posts : 1154
Re:Topic Rating Abuse 2009/02/24 17:46:39 (permalink)
I've been coming on here for around 6 years, I guess; quite sporadically the past few months. So I don't really understand any of that business. I will say this: it sounds very third-gradish, rating someone's post. Rating it? For what? If you like it, you say you liked it - you know! Like the OLD days! If you DON'T like it, say it -- intelligently and nicely. You know! Like the OLD days! I think it's just stupid. And I could care less how somebody "rates" me. I say and do what I want, but I do it without resorting to third-gradishness.

If you don't like it, change the channel. Now let ME get back to the latest trip report. Isn't that more important than ratings?
jbs780
Junior Burger
Re:Topic Rating Abuse 2009/02/24 19:59:50 (permalink)
harriet1954...just call me the Wolfman, cause I gonna rate you record(post) HIGH! 

That all makes sense to me! 
mayor al
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 15244
Re:Topic Rating Abuse 2009/02/24 22:11:20 (permalink)
I am reminded of the famous line by "Thumper" in the Disney Movie "BAMBI"... "If you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all".

Tonight , in the spirit of that guideline, a warning was issued to a member who posted 4 negative ratings in a row on another member...the posts were not rude or out of line, they were normal questions and comments, but the violator thinking she could  express her displeasure decided to violate the site policy and rate the person anyway.
 Well, we as Moderators are trying to work with the system and are watching what is being done here.  If you feel that a rating is unwarrented please report it to the admins to allow us to followup on your question. 

post edited by mayor al - 2009/02/25 09:14:41
carolina bob
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3420
Re:Topic Rating Abuse 2009/02/24 22:54:37 (permalink)
Personally, I don't give a rat's ragged rump how people rate my posts. Couldn't care less.
i95
  • Total Posts : 2500
Re:Topic Rating Abuse 2009/02/25 07:56:15 (permalink)
"I have a dream that my four little children will one day contribute to an online forum
where they will not be judged by their number of points but by the content of their posts."

post edited by i95 - 2009/02/25 07:58:36
leethebard
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6265
Re:Topic Rating Abuse 2009/02/25 08:08:43 (permalink)
mayor al

I am reminded of the famous line by "Thumper" in the Disney Movie "BAMBI"... "If you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all".

Tonight , in the spirit of that guideline, a warning was issued to a member who posted 4 negative ratings in a row on another member...the posts were not rude or out of line, they were normal questions and comments, but the violator thinking she could  express her displeasure decided to violate the site policy and rate the person anyway.
 Well, we as Moderators are trying to work with the system and are watching what is being done here.  If you feel that a rating is unwarrented please report it to the admins to allow us to followup on your question. 

I don't get the stubborness of some of our moderators..They seem to be saying..."tough....while we can change this, too bad...get used to it"....if the majority of those using this site don't like or don't feel secure with it...and since it has NOTHING to do with enjoying roadfood...WHY do they insist on keeping it??? Is it just because they can???? What are the long list of positives that outweigh the negatives....keep this foum going and maybe those who say"Get over it,it's here to stay" will see they are not moderating in our best interests!!!!!

post edited by mayor al - 2009/02/25 09:15:37
Tony Bad
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 5116
Re:Topic Rating Abuse 2009/02/25 08:25:53 (permalink)
leethebard
    I don't get the stubborness of some of our moderators..They seem to be saying..."tough....while we can change this, too bad...get used to it"....if the majority of those using this site don't like or don't feel secure with it...and since it has NOTHING to do with enjoying roadfood...WHY do they insist on keeping it??? Is it just because they can???? What are the long list of positives that outweigh the negatives....keep this foum going and maybe those who say"Get over it,it's here to stay" will see they are not moderating in our best interests!!!!!

The moderators are here to make sure members follow the forum guidelines. We did not decide to start a rating system and will not decide when or if it goes. I know I have explained this to you several times both on the forum and in private communications yet you keep beating this same drum. I think we all understand how you feel. 
David_NYC
Re:Topic Rating Abuse 2009/02/25 10:32:36 (permalink)
mayor al

Say Al, two posts above the one you wrote was one by harriett1954. She says she didn't visit much in the last six months and doesn't know much about the rating system.

In this message you sent to the member, did you include an explanation of the point system, i.e.:
1 * = -2
2*  = -1
3*  = 0
4*  = 1
5*  = 2
???
mayor al
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 15244
Re:Topic Rating Abuse 2009/02/25 10:40:54 (permalink)
I didn't do the warning...and just to make things clear, Harriet was not involved in any way. The warning seems to be taken to heart and I believe that the exchange between the moderator and the member made things very clear.
PapaJoe8
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5504
Re:Topic Rating Abuse 2009/02/25 11:42:46 (permalink)
Lee, our mods don't make many of the the decisions around here. They just enforce them. :~)
Joe
leethebard
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6265
Re:Topic Rating Abuse 2009/02/25 15:43:14 (permalink)
Tony Bad

leethebard

The moderators are here to make sure members follow the forum guidelines. We did not decide to start a rating system and will not decide when or if it goes. I know I have explained this to you several times both on the forum and in private communications yet you keep beating this same drum. I think we all understand how you feel.

Sorry, Tony,
   You're right...You have explained that to me...and I'm not blaiming you. But I read this thread and many many others feel the same way...it's not just a few...it's the "many" Look how long this thread and others on this topic are! I guess I don't understand why the powers that be are so stubborn when this hurts and upsets soooo many!!!!

David_NYC
Re:Topic Rating Abuse 2009/02/25 15:46:50 (permalink)
Data Mining?
WarToad
  • Total Posts : 1846
Re:Topic Rating Abuse 2009/02/25 15:56:55 (permalink)
Where the heck do you even see what rating a post of yours has? 

And why did we move to a high school popularity contest with posting?
Rusty246
  • Total Posts : 2413
Re:Topic Rating Abuse 2009/02/25 16:18:08 (permalink)
WarToad

I was using you as a guinnea pig, I rated your post a "2", (I think) and I still don't see it, get it, care to deal with it.  Thanks for being a good sport!  Oh and congratulations on the baby!
rjb
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 451
Re:Topic Rating Abuse 2009/02/25 16:31:09 (permalink)
Tony Bad

leethebard

So who did decide to start this inane rating system? 
jbs780
Junior Burger
Re:Topic Rating Abuse 2009/02/25 16:33:23 (permalink)
WarToad

I think you find all that 411 by clicking on the person's username...to the left...not the drop down menu options, the username intself.

If that is not correct...sorry.

Tony Bad
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 5116
Re:Topic Rating Abuse 2009/02/25 16:54:43 (permalink)
rjb

So who did decide to start this inane rating system? 

It is part of the new software.
NebGuy
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 875
Re:Topic Rating Abuse 2009/02/25 18:43:01 (permalink)
Looks like the rate a post capability has been turned of in the  Fast Food Franchises & Non-Roadfood Chains and Miscellaneous - Off Topic & "Lighter Fare" forums.
At least for me anyway.
DLnWPBrown
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 832
Re:Topic Rating Abuse 2009/02/25 22:37:16 (permalink)
 Same for me, I had no idea. After looking at my profile it says I have 2 reward points..

Dennis in Cary
Page: < 1234 Showing page 4 of 4
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1