Topping Topic

Page: < 123 Showing page 3 of 3
Author
jerseygirl127
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 454
RE: Topping Topic 2003/12/17 09:32:55 (permalink)
hmm i would have to say my ultimate favorite toppings are sausage and mushrooms. although i like just about anything on my pizza ( except onions and anchovies) .. there used to be a place - i think it was in emerson or paramus (NJ) called 'pie in the sky' - they specialized in gourmet pizzas. they weren't kidding.. they had steak and lobster- somehow that just doesn't sound like it belongs on a pizza - but it was good. i can't remember a lot of the other types they offered , but do remember my favorite- shrimp and bleu cheese. i know-- sounds nasty.. but it was out of this world! they aren't open anymore-- didn't really last too long as i remember, but while they were there they were good!
Jellybeans
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 312
RE: Topping Topic 2003/12/17 11:26:25 (permalink)
Anyone ever tried tuna, sweetcorn and pepper pizza?

It's a staple here on the UK pizza menu. It's ok but most of the time I pass and get something else more exotic or interesting...
Grampy
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1559
RE: Topping Topic 2003/12/17 11:28:05 (permalink)
If you make your own pizza, here are two tips for toppings:

1. If you use crushed or very good canned whole tomatoes, simply mix with minced garlic, a little salt and oregano, and a tiny dash of wine vinegar, but do not cook. The sauce will cook on the pizza in the oven.
2. Roast or sauté veggie toppings slightly first. In this case, the cell walls of mushrooms, peppers, etc. release moisture and add a more rounded flavor than raw.
Pwingsx
  • Total Posts : 2170
RE: Topping Topic 2003/12/17 17:29:26 (permalink)
Jellybeans,

Do you mean CANNED TUNA? Please, tell me it's not so.

I've heard of corn on pizza but I don't think I could stomach it. Barf. (Sorry.)
Jellybeans
Cheeseburger
RE: Topping Topic 2003/12/17 17:30:37 (permalink)
It IS canned tuna, I'm afraid... over here, tuna salad mean canned tuna, sweet corn and mayo mashed together... they just adjusted it for the pizza...
Pwingsx
  • Total Posts : 2170
RE: Topping Topic 2003/12/17 19:02:56 (permalink)
I love canned tuna, but there are limits.

This will sound insane, but I love corn on the cob,and I'll eat canned or frozen corn. But as soon as you introduce it into a recipe with anything else, I feel I will be physically sick.

Gotta be psychological, don'tcha think?
jerseygirl127
Cheeseburger
RE: Topping Topic 2003/12/19 10:06:57 (permalink)
i agree with Pwingsx.. i like corn prepared many different ways-- ( favorite is still corn on the cob-- steamed on the grill still in the husks.. hmmm ) BUT when you start putting funky things like that on pizza- that's a little much for me... just the thought of it turns my tummy! i also have to agree that pizza is no place for tuna! ( just my opinion though-- so... not trying to offend anyone here.... but-- UGH!)
Jellybeans
Cheeseburger
RE: Topping Topic 2003/12/19 10:22:15 (permalink)
I think it's one of those things you need to get acclimatised to. I'm not British but I got used to it and all-day-breakfast sandwiches (bacon, egg and sausage and tomato sandwich) etc.

I think that there's probably stuff in the USA that we wouldn't touch with a barge pole such as the sweet-and-savoury breakfasts where you guys eat pancakes, sausages, eggs, bacon etc with syrup all over it (but then, when I lived in the States, I got used to that too)... same with what Westerners wouldn't touch in my native cuisine which includes braised chicken feet, vinegar-stewed pig trotters and various types of fungi (including mushrooms you've never seen)...

Guess what I'm saying is: don't knock it til you've tried it (unless you've got allergy issues or religious restrictions or health issues)
Grampy
RE: Topping Topic 2003/12/19 11:12:20 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by clothier

quote:
Originally posted by jerseygirl127

i agree with Pwingsx.. i like corn prepared many different ways-- ( favorite is still corn on the cob-- steamed on the grill still in the husks.. hmmm ) BUT when you start putting funky things like that on pizza- that's a little much for me... just the thought of it turns my tummy! i also have to agree that pizza is no place for tuna! ( just my opinion though-- so... not trying to offend anyone here.... but-- UGH!)

Well, since it is my job to offend everyone here, let me take a whack at that. Let's just say for a minute you are say, I don't know, in the middle of no where in Alaska. A lovely young lady helicopters in and offers you a slice of hot, fresh warm delicous pizza. This young lady happens to be a wizard in the kitchen and the pizza has tuna on it. You eat the pizza. It's great. You thank the lovely chef, and you continue you on your way.

My point? If you don't let chefs experiment, we'd all still be eating raw meat, since why would anyone want to put meat onto that new fangled fire idea?

Or consider the first person who stuck a kernel of wheat in his mouth and thought, "bread." Forget about the guy who experimented with fugu.

Back to pizza, I usually do three different pizzas when I make them. One is always a traditional red sauce pie, but I experiment with the other two. Of late, I have come to like a mix of Gruyère, Jarlsberg, grape tomato, caramelized red onion or shallot, and rosemary. Grilled pizzas, because of the very fast cooking time, are conducive to fresh herbs and other ingredients that would overcook in a hot oven.
Grampy
RE: Topping Topic 2003/12/19 11:32:26 (permalink)
Anytime you are near Greenfield, Mass, the kitchen is open, and the Viking is rarin' to go.
scenicrec
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 16
RE: Topping Topic 2003/12/27 00:28:36 (permalink)
Many places in Westchester county (NY) serve "pasta pizza"- pizza topped w/ ziti, penne, or rigatoni. They also serve "salad pizza"- a standard pie topped with tomato sauce, mixed greens, tomato, and cumber slices.
scenicrec
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 16
RE: Topping Topic 2003/12/27 00:31:21 (permalink)
I mean cucumber!
jerseygirl127
Cheeseburger
RE: Topping Topic 2003/12/28 16:38:18 (permalink)
i surely didn't mean to offend anyone or suggest that i'd NEVER eat corn on pizza-- i mean if it were the ONLY thing left to eat in the world i might have no other choice-- HOWEVER-- i believe the topic was 'favorite toppings' so--- i don't think anyone was out of line by saying things that they wouldn't want on a pizza either..
sorry to offend anyone.. really didn't mean to............
olphart
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 289
RE: Topping Topic 2003/12/29 20:34:16 (permalink)
Pepperoni, mushrooms and jalapenos.
Thin crust.
Light sauce.
emsmom
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 955
RE: Topping Topic 2004/07/16 10:56:28 (permalink)
One of the favorites around here is ham and pineapple pizza. I didn't think that I would like it but it tasted ok. Me , I like thin crust, light on the tomato sauce, ground beef, onion and mushrooms and lots of cheese.
berndog
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 674
RE: Topping Topic 2004/07/16 11:47:10 (permalink)
One of our favorites is to start with the standard red sauce and mozza cheese pizza, then add chopped tomatoes, spinach, and feta cheese. Everyone who has been at our home when we order one of these loves it. We get it from Johns Pizza (now called Pizzeria America)on Long Pond Road in Greece, NY. Good crisp medium-thick crust.

Of course, we have to order one-quarter plain and one-quarter pepperoni for the kids.
Spudnut
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 655
RE: Topping Topic 2004/07/16 11:56:04 (permalink)
I'm fairly traditional: I opt for either pepperoni or plain, although I'm happy to eat mushrooms and sausage, too.

To reply to a few posts: when I lived in France 20+ years ago, there were in fact some places that put tuna on pizza. I was repulsed. Then I tried it. And, I actually kind of liked it. There was one place, in particular, where I ate it several times. Of course, I was usually with a French girl and wanted to fit in. My American friends refused to try it (the pizza with tuna, I mean.)
santacruz
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 372
RE: Topping Topic 2004/07/16 13:49:03 (permalink)
One of the toppings I like most is authentic Spanish or Portuguese
Linguica - Chorizo sausages. They have a great spicey smoked flavor that I just don't find with most pepperoni's. Also homemade Salsa and guacamole if used spareingly on top of a thin crusted cheesed, olive oil
based pizza is great. And I have to admit those little fish anchovies are my favorite.
hatteras04
  • Total Posts : 1092
RE: Topping Topic 2004/07/16 15:21:54 (permalink)
One of my new favorites is at a place called The Pizza Cottage in Buckeye Lake, OH, just east of Columbus. They have a BLT pizza which is excellent. It is basically just a regular pizza with a thin layer of red sauce, mozzerella, and bacon. Then after it comes out of the oven the put on a layer of lettuce, tomatoes, and a healthy dose of mayo that has all been tossed togehther. Then it is topped with another crust that has been blind baked until very lightly brown. We go there in a group of 6 from time to time and we get two of those and a large peperoni. There is never any of either of the BLTs left.
wally bangs
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 9
RE: Topping Topic 2004/08/06 17:37:13 (permalink)
Back in my youth I worked for the Mazzio's Pizza chain and we had some pizzas which I at the time I thought to be fairly out there for Middle Tennessee. It was 1985 and we had Canadian bacon with pineapples, a barbecue pizza, and a taco pizza.

The Canadian bacon and pineapple was one of my favorites with its classic mix of sweet and salt. The owners told us it was a fairly common mix, but it was new to us.

The barbecue pizza was just a big giant mess. We dreaded when people ordered them because we just knew that not only would you get more food on your uniform, but afterward everything would stick to your shirt. I never cared much for the taste. The smoky flavor of the barbecue didn't go well with the cheese.

The taco pizza was a monster. Instead of pizza sauce, a bean spread was applied to the crust followed by sausage and cheese. Jalepeno pepper's and black olives wnent on next. After it came out of the oven, mountains of lettuce went on the pie. I never got the nerve to try it, but it was very popular.

My favorite odd pizza at the time was a thin crust pepperoni with alfredo sauce.

As an adult this has mutated into a love for thin crust spinach pizza with alfredo sauce.
HiredGoon
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 15
RE: Topping Topic 2004/08/20 23:56:12 (permalink)
One of my favorite topping combos growing up in CA was salami with italian sausage, sliced fresh mushrooms, and black olives. I've lived in michigan and ny and haven't been able to find a pizza place that offers salami as a topping.

I also like basil pesto instead of a read sauce with fresh spinach, chicken, artichoke hearts, mushrooms, black olives, and diced tomato on top.
Kent Daniels
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 38
RE: Topping Topic 2004/08/24 23:49:43 (permalink)
Seems like the weirdest topping we have in Wichita right now for pizza is chicken - garlic chicken, Thai Chicken, Buffalo chicken, barbecued chicken. Most pizza buffets put out a taco pizza and the hawaiian (canadian bacon & pineapple), but we're mostly traitionalists. But you'll get weird looks if you order anchovies, assuming you can even GET them at most places.
Oh, and HiredGoon, don't know if you have Papa Murphy's nearby (it's a take-home-to-bake pizza chain), they have Genoa salami on several of their combo pizzas.
Page: < 123 Showing page 3 of 3
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1