Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

Topping Topic

Change Page: 123 > | Showing page 1 of 3, messages 1 to 30 of 82
jessicazee

• Total Posts: 132
Topping Topic Fri, 03/21/03 12:51 AM (permalink)
While I admit to liking pizza from only a few select places, they each are of thinnest crusts, light sauce and a dusting of cornmeal on the bottom. My topping choices vary, though. It seems that there are several "tradtional" choosing, like Italian sausage, onions, mushrooms, pepperoni, etc...

But is there anything special about your regional pizza toppings? One place here in town offers dill pickles, potato slices, hazelnuts (I know - ?), meatballs and cream cheese in addition to more normal items. The cream cheese and artichoke heart pizza is my favorite, after my traditional cheese, onion & mushroom.

yumbo

• Total Posts: 330
    RE: Topping Topic Fri, 03/21/03 1:28 AM (permalink)
    I must say I prefer the traditional toppings. Fortunately we're going to be moving to Milwaukee this summer.

Here in Seattle there's a delivery chain called Pagliacci's. Here's their description of their "AGOG Primo": Fontina and mozzarella cheeses, roasted garlic, mushrooms, fresh tomatoes, goat cheese, parsley and Kalamata olives on an olive oil base. $20 for a 17" pie, delivered.

I call it an "interesting" pizza - tasty, lotsa variety and texture, but it's not really what I would call a pizza. It's too boogered up. Whatever happened to just laying down a few quality ingredients and letting them work their magic? A good pizza is kind of like BB King, who speaks volumes by just hitting that one perfect note. God I'm so hungry for a decent pie.

Michael Stern

RE: Topping Topic Fri, 03/21/03 2:49 AM (permalink)
      I'm still meaning to get to a place called The Bar in New Haven, where they are supposed to have a thin-crust, New Haven-style pizza topped with mashed potatoes and garlic. It's hard for me to imagine, but people whose tastebuds I respect have highly recommended it.

Michael Stern

RE: Topping Topic Fri, 03/21/03 2:50 AM (permalink)
        Oh, and one more thing: barbecue pizza at Coletta's in Memphis (!) After an appetizer of barbecue salad, of course...

Jennifer_4

• Total Posts: 1508
          RE: Topping Topic Fri, 03/21/03 5:35 AM (permalink)
          The big thing here in Cali seems to be pesto/feta/artichoke hearts/sundried tomatoes... We even have a place that offers mandarin oranges along with the now standard pineapple. I had a pizza last week that had fontina, gorgonzola, mozzarella, swiss, sage, and toasted walnuts..(no tomato sauce).not bad!

wanderingjew

• Total Posts: 7410
            • Roadfood Insider
            RE: Topping Topic Fri, 03/21/03 7:44 AM (permalink)
            When I was living in Pittsburgh, many pizza joints would serve up "Pierogi Pizza's" which included toppings of cheddar cheese, mashed potatos and fried onions dripping in butter. A cardiologist's delight!

Michael Hoffman

• Total Posts: 17852
              RE: Topping Topic Fri, 03/21/03 12:55 PM (permalink)
              When I was growing up in New Haven, pepperoni wasn't offered as a topping. Pepperoni was for sandwiches and antipasto.

Stephen Rushmore Jr.

RE: Topping Topic Fri, 03/21/03 1:16 PM (permalink)
                If anyone has ever been to Figs in Boston - then you know the meaning of creative toppings. I once had a the kielbasa sauerkraut and mustard pizza to fill my curiosity. To my suprise, it was fantastic!

Cosmos

• Total Posts: 1448
                  RE: Topping Topic Fri, 03/21/03 5:06 PM (permalink)
                  Sounds awful, but I know you've got to try it before deciding, (we have a family friend who makes lasagna with kielbasa and cheddar cheeze - no ricotta...if they called it something other than lasagna, it'd be edible).

Around our house the favored topping is a garlic pizza with fresh basil, mozz,parm,romano, and black olives (we prefer kalamata...but my daughter likes those fake california ones).

jessicazee

• Total Posts: 132
                    RE: Topping Topic Sat, 03/22/03 8:25 PM (permalink)
                    Ooh, yeah, I love fresh Parmesan or Asiago. And lots of black pepper, red pepper flakes, and fresh garlic in addition to everything else.

I'm craving a "pizza bianca" right now - no red sauce, with white cheeses, bits of proscuitto & olive oil & garlic.

And I suppose I should explain about the weirdest pizza I ever ate - an old roommate and I had a crappy frozen Tombstone and we wanted to dress it up a little. But the pantry and fridge were nearly bare. The solution? Macaroni & cheese & hot dog pizza. We prepared the mac & cheese per usual, spread it on the frozen pizza, then sliced hot dogs into little coins & added those, then put more mozzarella! It was almost too silly to eat, but were were poor, starving college students, perhaps even under the influence of a pizza-enhancing substance.

Cosmos

• Total Posts: 1448
                      RE: Topping Topic Sun, 03/23/03 10:19 AM (permalink)
                      Ahhh Tombstone...I had my first tombstone at the old Southport Lanes in Chicago (an original Schlitz bar- four bowling lanes with pin boys and a germanic bar complete with murals). This is back when it was owned by Leo and Ella (now I hear its a trendy joint). We'd stop in for a few Old Styles, buy Leo a Crown Royal, and if LoGalbos was closed, we'd order a Tombstone, which was cooked in a cheapo countertop oven.

Stone being the operative word as the 'pizza-enhancing substance' most definitely improved the flavor. The topping I believe was sausage...no hot dogs.

Sundancer7

RE: Topping Topic Thu, 04/3/03 2:23 PM (permalink)
                        I bought several cheap pizza's at Walmart the other day ($0.69 each) brought them home, sliced some onions, jalopeno's, bell peppers, lotsa mozzarelli shredded, garlic powder, onion powder and soul food seasoning and baked it directly on the rack for about 6 minutes longer than it called for. I also used a light oil rub on the crust.

Paul E. Smith
                        Knoxville, TN

Sundancer7

RE: Topping Topic Thu, 04/3/03 2:25 PM (permalink)
                          I bought several cheap pizza's at Walmart the other day ($0.69 each) brought them home, sliced some onions, jalopeno's, bell peppers, lotsa mozzarelli shredded, garlic powder, onion powder and soul food seasoning and baked it directly on the rack for about 6 minutes longer than it called for. I also used a light oil rub on the crust.

Paul E. Smith
                          Knoxville, TN

scbuzz

• Total Posts: 844
                            RE: Topping Topic Thu, 04/3/03 2:38 PM (permalink)
                            I'm not aware of anyone around where I live that does anything special to a pizza. Most are just run of the mill places.

I like pepperoni, italian sausage, mushrooms and lots of cheese ... and THIN crust !!!

Sometimes I will buy a cheapo cheese pizza at the grocery store and then take buy pepperoni, mushrooms and cheese and take it home and doctor it up myself ! Even with purchasing the toppings extra, plus the cheap cheese pizza, I still spend way less than I would at a pizza place !!!

mayor al

• Total Posts: 15075
                              • Roadfood Insider
                              RE: Topping Topic Thu, 04/3/03 3:03 PM (permalink)
                              Buzzy,
                              We like to doctor up the Stouffers Lasagna..Cut pepperoni slices and mushrooms, Put then under and on top of the frozen convenience food before baking...then do the top with the grated cheeses.
                              Makes frozen seem somehow better....

Bushie

• Total Posts: 2902
                                RE: Topping Topic Tue, 04/15/03 4:40 PM (permalink)
                                Jessica, I loved your story about the pizza in college. It brought back great memories. I had a girlfriend who loved to create what she called "garbage disposal pizzas". We'd take a frozen pizza (didn't matter what brand), then go through the refrigerator and cabinets and just pile on whatever was available. I haven't done that since, and really have no desire to, but it was great fun at the time. Ah, college.

As for me, thin-crust rules. Since the "Nick's" pizza closed here many years ago, I just can't find good thin, crispy crust (with the cornmeal on the bottom) that I love. I envy all of you who have that in your hometown!

pigface

• Total Posts: 406
                                  RE: Topping Topic Tue, 04/15/03 7:06 PM (permalink)
                                  Could anyone give me a good description of a White Clam Pizza ?
                                  Or how do I make one in the Mid West

Michael Hoffman

RE: Topping Topic Wed, 04/16/03 11:54 AM (permalink)
                                    quote:
                                    Originally posted by pigface

Could anyone give me a good description of a White Clam Pizza ?
                                    Or how do I make one in the Mid West

Just use cheese and canned clams -- no tomato sauce. I make mine with Reggiano Parmagiano, provolone and scamorse (but you can use mozzarella if you can't find the scamorse), onions, oregano, rosemary, and, of course, clams -- fresh quahogs if available, but canned will do if necessary.

pigface

• Total Posts: 406
                                      RE: Topping Topic Wed, 04/16/03 4:22 PM (permalink)
                                      Thank you !

rumbelly

• Total Posts: 235
                                        RE: Topping Topic Thu, 04/17/03 8:52 PM (permalink)
                                        I agree with Mr. Yumbo. Pizza should be kept simple. East should not meet west on the lid of a pizza crust.

capital

• Total Posts: 5
                                          RE: Topping Topic Thu, 04/17/03 9:53 PM (permalink)
                                          One of my brothers goes to England about once a year. He swears that the Pizza Hut has sweet corn and tuna on the list of toppings there!

Matchstick Man

• Total Posts: 33
                                            RE: Topping Topic Fri, 04/18/03 8:04 AM (permalink)
                                            I believe that item about Pizza Hut toppings in England. I went to one on the island of Majorca, Spain one time. Apparently, their version of "hamburger" appears to be minced ham -- like Underwoods Deviled Ham without the spices. There was something else that was strange about the toppings, but as this was about 15 years ago, the one that sticks in my mind was the minced ham.

stanpnepa

• Total Posts: 577
                                              • Location: Wyoming (Scranton/Wi, PA
                                              RE: Topping Topic Fri, 04/18/03 9:09 AM (permalink)
                                              Cebula's in Dupont, PA (Scranton/Wilkes-Barre) has lots of potatoes in their pizza. I have never been a pierogi fan (or gnocchis for that matter), so I don't get it, but other "foodie" friends swear by it.

Bland New York style pizza is readily available in the East by the slice. I don't care for it---and when I end up with a craving I usually ask for a fresh tomato slice instead.

About 90% of the time, I go plain. Other favorite toppings...

Shrimp and Hot Pepper Pizza or Meatballs (at Revello's in Old Forge, PA---perhaps my all-time fave)

Sausage (tastes especially good on Chicago Deep Dish)

Extra sauce and sometimes even onions (good on Northeast PA sweet sauce pies---the Dough Company and Angelo's in Wilkes-Barre are solid to begin with, but these toppings take them to the stratosphere)

...and of course Pepe's (New Haven) clam pie!

Michael Hoffman

RE: Topping Topic Mon, 04/21/03 3:08 PM (permalink)
                                                quote:
                                                Originally posted by pigface

Thank you !

I left out olive oil for the white clam pie. Use a good olive oil.

big g in joisey

• Total Posts: 214
                                                  RE: Topping Topic Wed, 08/13/03 3:22 AM (permalink)
                                                  quote:
                                                  Originally posted by stanpnepa

Cebula's in Dupont, PA (Scranton/Wilkes-Barre) has lots of potatoes in their pizza. I have never been a pierogi fan (or gnocchis for that matter), so I don't get it, but other "foodie" friends swear by it.

Bland New York style pizza is readily available in the East by the slice. I don't care for it---and when I end up with a craving I usually ask for a fresh tomato slice instead.

About 90% of the time, I go plain. Other favorite toppings...
                                                  Shrimp and Hot Pepper Pizza or Meatballs (at Revello's in Old Forge, PA---perhaps my all-time fave)

Sausage (tastes especially good on Chicago Deep Dish)

Extra sauce and sometimes even onions (good on Northeast PA sweet sauce pies---the Dough Company and Angelo's in Wilkes-Barre are solid to begin with, but these toppings take them to the stratosphere)

...and of course Pepe's (New Haven) clam pie!
                                                  Cebula's on main street in Dupont serves a potatoe dough crust
                                                  piazza with ricotta and mozzarela,no potatoes on the pie.

lleechef

• Total Posts: 6259
                                                    RE: Topping Topic Wed, 08/13/03 3:51 AM (permalink)
                                                    My favorite is thin crust topped with fresh tomato slices (no sauce), fresh basil, prosciutto and mozzarella, baked in a brick oven. After living in Europe for 7 years and spending much time in Italy, the best version of this pizza was in Mons, Belgium, in a small pizzeria....and a good Belgian beer.......heaven.

hawkeyejohn

• Total Posts: 257
                                                      RE: Topping Topic Wed, 08/13/03 8:23 AM (permalink)
                                                      Not that it is one of my favorites, but there is a chain of pizza joints in Iowa called Happy Joe's and one of their signature pies is a Canadian bacon and sauerkraut pizza. Decent change of pace.

Hode

• Total Posts: 153
                                                        • Location: Rochester, NY
                                                        RE: Topping Topic Wed, 08/13/03 11:06 AM (permalink)
                                                        We have a chicken wing pizza made by several places. Wing sauce bleu cheese and chunks of chicken.

bigcat39

• Total Posts: 29
                                                          • Location: Columbus, OH
                                                          RE: Topping Topic Wed, 08/13/03 12:35 PM (permalink)
                                                          When I lived in Newtown, CT, there was a wonderful place that made a fine pie topped with eggplant fried as for eggplant parmesian, and fresh garlic. Does this ring any bells, Michael?

Julia I

RE: Topping Topic Sat, 08/16/03 11:53 AM (permalink)
                                                            A featured item at Germanfest this year (a four day local festival celebrating all things German), was a bratwurst and sauerkraut pizza. It was actually pretty good. They said that the recipe came from a place in Germany where this particular pizza was a top seller.

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark
                                                              Change Page: 123 > | Showing page 1 of 3, messages 1 to 30 of 82

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                                              • No New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/ New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/o New Messages
                                                              • Read Message
                                                              • Post New Thread
                                                              • Reply to message
                                                              • Post New Poll
                                                              • Submit Vote
                                                              • Post reward post
                                                              • Delete my own posts
                                                              • Delete my own threads
                                                              • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                                              What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com