Tough Spring Weather

Author
Sundancer7
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 13479
2006/04/07 17:30:35 (permalink)

Tough Spring Weather

This is posted under lighter stuff but I guess it ain't so light.

Last week tornadoes hit west Tennessee with perhaps better than a thousand houses destroyed and 24 people lost their life.

Today numerous tornadoes have hit the Nashville area (I have heard better than 11) and interstate was closed north of Nashville due to extrme large hail. It was reported softball size which is incredible to me.

The Tennessee valley was hammered during that last round and it is coming at us again. We have tornado warnings everywhere in the eastern part of the state. Winds have been howilng all day and in fact blew a large locust down and pulled it out by the roots. It missed my house by just a fraction of a inch. I got my landscaper on the way with a chainsaw.

Some of you that was on this forum a few years ago may recall that a tornado hit my property then and blew down 21 trees, blocked my street for three days and we were without power for the same amount of time.

I hope that you that might be affected by this get through it OK. I talked with the Mayor and it was all around him but thankfully missed him with the exception of some hard rain.

I am on the wagon now but like a fellow poster V960, I might have a swig tonight if it gets rough.
UPDATE: 6:64PM ESDT. Seven people are now confirmed dead in Tennessee this afternoon and the storms are just arriving to East Tennessee

Paul E. Smith

Knoxville, TN

8 Replies Related Threads

Adjudicator
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5065
    RE: Tough Spring Weather 2006/04/07 19:28:33 (permalink)
    No rain at all in my area for the past month. The pollen has turned everything yellow.
    mayor al
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 15208
    RE: Tough Spring Weather 2006/04/07 20:39:36 (permalink)
    We took shelter tonight for the first time in 5 years. This afternoon we had some violent Thunderstorms, Just as they passed our location a funnel cloud touched down (a couple of miles to the NE and headed away from us) It crossed I-65 next to the college where I teach and headed east from there. Then tonight another string of SuperCells came thru with reported twisters in the storms. When the quarter-sized Hail hit with the wind we took shelter in what we use for a pantry (we don't have a basement) The worst of it passed within 5 minutes, but again as it hit the River headed into Louisville (2 miles east as the crow flies) A large Tornado was born and it hit and ran thru the Southern Suburbs. We have ducked the bullet again. Honestly I miss living 6 miles from the San Andreas Fault at times !!!
    Sundancer7
    Fire Safety Admin
    RE: Tough Spring Weather 2006/04/07 20:53:30 (permalink)
    Numerous tornadoes are in the Knoxville area now! I have been watching the lightning from my deck and it is beautiful but potentially deadly. 8:54PM

Tomorrow is going to be a tough day for many folks around Tennessee.

At this time the huge amount of weather is sliding past me by about 3-4 miles. I do not mind rain and in fact I want it but please, no high winds.
    UPDATE AT 9:01PM ESDT: Confirmed dead in Tennessee is at 11 and appears to be rising. Big Storms.
    Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN
    Jimeats
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3175
    RE: Tough Spring Weather 2006/04/07 21:24:18 (permalink)
    Keep your heads down! I wish you folks in that area the best. Al be sure to grab the Makers Mark and save it for after everything passes. Good luck and God Bless. Jim
    roossy90
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6695
    RE: Tough Spring Weather 2006/04/07 22:00:18 (permalink)
    Sundancer,
    I thought about you and yours all day today when watching the weather channel, and hoping it wasnt heading your way!
    I hope it clears soon!
    Tara
    roossy90
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6695
    RE: Tough Spring Weather 2006/04/07 22:05:11 (permalink)
    Oh, Al.
    I didnt realize those storms were so close to you also..
    My prayers are with your family too!
    enginecapt
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3486
    RE: Tough Spring Weather 2006/04/08 00:11:04 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Al-The Mayor-Bowen
    Honestly I miss living 6 miles from the San Andreas Fault at times!!!
    Amen.... from 5 miles away.
    Sundancer7
    Fire Safety Admin
    RE: Tough Spring Weather 2006/04/08 09:08:20 (permalink)
    A little update on the severe weather that roared through Tennessee. Multiple Multiple tornadoes, huge hail, high winds, mega rain, down trees (mine included) are mostly through this area. Unfortunately there were multiple deaths due to this awful storm. Looks like it is blowing east and over the Carolina's now.

I was going to till my garden today for the third time but that is out cause the soil is mucky. It will be a day or two before it is ready for spring planting.

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1