Toxic Grill warning

Author
chewingthefat
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6186
2010/05/09 17:35:26 (permalink)

Toxic Grill warning

Today my one and only child, er 21 yr. old daughter graduated from Marymount Univ. in McLean Va. In any case my wife and I stayed in DC at the J W Mariott, got there early on Fri. had lunch at a the M and S Grill at the corner of 13th and G st. I realize there are not too many Roadfood type places in high rent neighborhoods like this but the name and interior decor gave me reason to think I had found a rough in the diamond. What I found was perhaps the worst place in the developed world, to Dunk one's Hine. I had a French dip that the beef was ACTUALLY BOILED, I swear to you this is true, the excess water gummed up the roll, the french fries had been refried maybe 4 times and were still cold and so pitiful that I actually laughed, I couldn't believe the absolute zero level of decency from an establishment that serves the public....come to think of it maybe it was M and S's proximity to Congress...BTY, it turns out M and S is owned by Mc Cormick and Schmicks...also the waitress was as good as the sandwich. Just a heads up to any DC and Suburban DC folks as well as visitors, The EPA should ban this toxic pit.

16 Replies Related Threads

MiamiDon
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4306
    Re:Toxic Grill warning 2010/05/10 07:15:39 (permalink)
    But how do you really feel about the joint? 
    Tony Bad
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 5116
    Re:Toxic Grill warning 2010/05/10 08:02:57 (permalink)
    The food may have been bad, but I hear they have a very generous cat washing policy. 

As they say, you can't have it all.

chewingthefat
    Sirloin
    Re:Toxic Grill warning 2010/05/10 12:21:53 (permalink)
    Tony Bad

The food may have been bad, but I hear they have a very generous cat washing policy. 

As they say, you can't have it all.

LOL...Don't want it ALL, a little something would be nice though!
    joerogo
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4524
    Re:Toxic Grill warning 2010/05/10 13:08:11 (permalink)

You let them use your sink, and before you know it..........

localnet
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1064
    Re:Toxic Grill warning 2010/05/10 15:13:34 (permalink)
    LMAO!!!^^^^^ But my kitty is pissed, she found no humor in your post....

And I used to live in DC, I would expect better.

Mike
    mayor al
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 15241
    Re:Toxic Grill warning 2010/05/10 15:23:45 (permalink)
    I think the old saying about finding a mate..."You've got to kiss a lot of Frogs before you find the Princess!"  is probably true for Roadfooders as well. I am just estimating, but I think my positive endorsements of food establishments are outnumbered by negative experiences never discussed anywhere, by a ratio of at least two or three to one, with the negatives holding a solid majority!

Sorry you got 'burned' , so to speak.
    billyboy
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 2393
    Re:Toxic Grill warning 2010/05/10 15:47:16 (permalink)
    Maybe I'm in the minority here, but it isn't clear to me what exactly is "toxic" about this place.  Seems like they put out poorly executed versions of food that should, in theory, be straightforward and simple.  How exactly was the waitress bad?  Attitude?  Ability or lack thereof?  Just not sure how it adds up to "toxic" and "...worst place in the developed world..."
    TJ Jackson
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4563
    Re:Toxic Grill warning 2010/05/10 16:22:49 (permalink)
    mayor al

I think the old saying about finding a mate..."You've got to kiss a lot of Frogs before you find the Princess!"  is probably true for Roadfooders as well. I am just estimating, but I think my positive endorsements of food establishments are outnumbered by negative experiences never discussed anywhere, by a ratio of at least two or three to one, with the negatives holding a solid majority!

The flip side of this is true for many of us who travel less - like me, certainly - and use the information on this and other food-related sites (i've a fondness for the hollyeats and slice/aht sites) to ensure each meal on those few days we actually are travelling is at worst a "merely" good one. 

I have an appreciation for those 'rf pioneers' who get out there and try the places no one else has and then reports back on those otherwise unknown gems.....starting but certainly not ending with the Sterns
    kaszeta
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 680
    Re:Toxic Grill warning 2010/05/10 16:23:35 (permalink)
    mayor al

Sorry you got 'burned' , so to speak.

I'll agree with this.  I tell people about the (a) good experiences, and (b) the overwhelmingly or notably bad ones.  Most of the mediocre and "normal-bad" places just don't warrant my time or mention.

TJ Jackson's comment is a good one, however, in that one's experiences are best shared to make sure others find the "good stuff" and don't waste time on the bad.   On the other hand, while Roadfood is one of my resources for finding good and interesting food on the road, it's far from my only one.  I mostly find my own places, since (a) my tastes run a little more to the wild and exotic than most people's, and (b) I go a lot of places that don't get much coverage from the likes of Roadfood (or Yelp, or Tripadvisor, or ...)  If anything, resources like Roadfood have given me a much better appreciation of how to spot good places on my own.
    post edited by kaszeta - 2010/05/10 16:34:14
    chewingthefat
    Sirloin
    Re:Toxic Grill warning 2010/05/10 18:45:16 (permalink)
    billyboy

Maybe I'm in the minority here, but it isn't clear to me what exactly is "toxic" about this place.  Seems like they put out poorly executed versions of food that should, in theory, be straightforward and simple.  How exactly was the waitress bad?  Attitude?  Ability or lack thereof?  Just not sure how it adds up to "toxic" and "...worst place in the developed world..."

In reference to the waitress, all of the above....using literary license with toxic, my point which I thought I got accross was it was a dreadful place to go, over and above downright crummy..."toxic", beware!!!!!!!!
    If you want to, try it out if your in DC in the near future, see what you think, maybe I caught it on a bad day...don't think so though.
    LeadBelly
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 93
    Re:Toxic Grill warning 2010/05/10 22:12:50 (permalink)
    chewingthefat

In reference to the waitress, all of the above....using literary license with toxic, my point which I thought I got accross was it was a dreadful place to go, over and above downright crummy..."toxic", beware!!!!!!!!
    If you want to, try it out if your in DC in the near future, see what you think, maybe I caught it on a bad day...don't think so though.

If they had only screwed up half the things you wrote about, say only refrying the fries twice, that would be catching them on a bad day. This went way beyond that.

Nancypalooza
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3778
    Re:Toxic Grill warning 2010/05/12 09:12:54 (permalink)
    Congratulations chewie!  My son graduated this weekend too.
    Ivyhouse
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 331
    Re:Toxic Grill warning 2010/05/12 09:49:55 (permalink)
    Next time you are in the area try Chef Geoff's, on 13th between E and F.  It is in the same block as the hotel and is a wonderful restaurant.  Can be crowded, though, especially weekend nights.

Too bad about M & S Grill.  I have never been there, but have eaten at a few different McCormick & Schmick restaurants.  They are overpriced, but have not been horrible.
    post edited by Ivyhouse - 2010/05/12 09:56:17
    Mosca
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 2980
    Re:Toxic Grill warning 2010/05/12 11:19:18 (permalink)
    Congratulations on the graduation! My girl finished up her freshman year, we collected her last weekend. One year down, three to go; the first one went so fast!
    chewingthefat
    Sirloin
    Re:Toxic Grill warning 2010/05/12 12:16:44 (permalink)
    Mosca

Congratulations on the graduation! My girl finished up her freshman year, we collected her last weekend. One year down, three to go; the first one went so fast!

Tom, it was yesterday we sent her off to College, even she cannot believe how fast it went...she loved every moment of it...now, the realities of adult responsibilities are rapidly setting in...I pray she finds a position in Interior Design that she loves...She won't be "doing lunch" at the M and S Grill during her job search!
    post edited by chewingthefat - 2010/05/12 12:17:48
    BelRose
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 65
    Re:Toxic Grill warning 2010/05/12 13:25:24 (permalink)
    Ivyhouse

Next time you are in the area try Chef Geoff's, on 13th between E and F.  It is in the same block as the hotel and is a wonderful restaurant.  Can be crowded, though, especially weekend nights.

Too bad about M & S Grill.  I have never been there, but have eaten at a few different McCormick & Schmick restaurants.  They are overpriced, but have not been horrible.

If it is during happy hour, you would be better served ducking around the corner to Old Ebbit Grill, and finding a seat at the Oyster Bar for half priced raw bar items (this is good only at any of the bars from 4:00 till 6:00) - otherwise I would avoid the restaurant as it is an overpriced tourist trap.
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1