Trader Joes

Author
UncleVic
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6025
2006/02/27 22:21:52 (permalink)

Trader Joes

I've seen alot of you discuss this local market.. Local in your neck of the woods, there's non around here.. But came across this in the 'best of Craigslist'.. Thought I'd share...
http://grandrapids.craigslist.org/about/best/sea/130239058.html

25 Replies Related Threads

stevencarry
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 359
    RE: Trader Joes 2006/02/27 23:31:25 (permalink)
    That person is a whiner without a life. It's a good store, but like any you'll find things you love and go there for and other things you pass on but it's by no means a replacement for a full sized supermarket. I guess you could make it your only store but no one does.

Check out www.traderjoes.com and look at the "fearless flyer" it will show you what they have.

That way when one comes to your area or you see one you'll have an idea.
    UncleVic
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6025
    RE: Trader Joes 2006/02/28 00:12:45 (permalink)
    Oh I'm not knocking it at all... Just seen a little humor and thought I'd share it.. I doubt they'd come up to my neighborhood, considering I'm at ground zero for Meijers..
    Jimeats
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3175
    RE: Trader Joes 2006/02/28 05:39:51 (permalink)
    Good one Vic, got a good chuckle out of it. But I've got to ask what is a Meijers? You got me on that one. Chow Jim
    Tedbear
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1832
    RE: Trader Joes 2006/02/28 06:54:51 (permalink)
    I have only had the opportunity to shop at two of TJ's locations, so I may not have a full perspective. However, I have to say that those comments about the TJ's in Queen Anne (is that in Maryland?) could also apply to the TJ's in Westfield, NJ. The store is incredibly small, but navigation through the aisles could be a whole lot easier if the many self-absorbed shoppers would attempt to avoid blocking the narrow aisles.

As the store is about 40 minutes away from my home, I tend to go to TJ's only a few times a year, when I am in the area for other purposes. As was said, it would not be practical to make this store your only source of food, health & beauty items and cleaning supplies, but there are certainly a number of very good items, and many of them (like the wines) are an excellent value for the dollar.

Now, if we could only teach people to try to think of how to show courtesy to other shoppers, it would be a much more pleasant experience at TJ's. But, then again, that comment could be applied to many other situations in today's world.
    wheregreggeats.com
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4606
    RE: Trader Joes 2006/02/28 10:02:37 (permalink)
    The clipping dramatizes why it is so easy to tire of the attitude of so many of my neighbors here in Seattle.

I'll bet a TJs could prosper in the same shopping center as a Miejer's.
    kland01s
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 2835
    RE: Trader Joes 2006/02/28 10:50:43 (permalink)
    The TJ's here does a pretty good business even though there are 2 Jewels, a Dominicks, Sams Club, Wal-Mart, Meijer and a Fresh Market within 3 miles. It's a niche market, we like it for cheese, frozen fish, bread, Greek yogurt and soy products. TJ's gets real crazy on the weekends and really crazy before any holiday.
    mayor al
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 15244
    RE: Trader Joes 2006/02/28 12:52:48 (permalink)
    Including a Trader Joes in the same sentence as Meijers is an Apples and Oranges type of link. Meijers for Jim's benefit is a large box store...very similiar in operation to a WalMart Supercenter. The center is up in Michigan but they are spreading fairly rapidly through the Midwest. They are not to be confused with the P N W chain "Fred Meyers"

A Trader Joes would probably work well in a shopping center with one of the Big Boys nearby. The TJ's is smaller and deals with smaller volume of mainly specialty items. Lots of organic dairy and international products. My mother used to shop quite regularly at one near her in Laguna Hills, CA. She could get fresh raspberries, or some exotic breads and yogurt as well as other 'staples' on her list. The place was always crowded when I took her there, even with a large Von's Market within sight of the TJ's.

A closer relative (but quite a bit larger in scope) is Jungle Jim's that now has 2 outlets in Cincinnati. It is a LARGE specialty grocery store... But not a chain operation.
    Hope this helps
    Scorereader
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5550
    RE: Trader Joes 2006/02/28 13:06:54 (permalink)
    There's just two people in my home. My wife and I. So Sam's Club, Wal-Mart and other places where you need to buy a 60lb bag of frozen fish just doesn't work. Trader Joe's is a perfect place to pick up small amounts of cheese, other assorted savories and wine on the cheap. We go once or twice per month to get things that are more expensive or unavailable at Safeway, Giant and other DC area stores. It's a good deal.
    And I like to check out the different wines. Sure, you can buy Coppola wines anywhere, and I find Coppola wines overpriced no matter where you buy them. But there are other deals that work out great for our dinner parties. I've had great success at Trader Joe's. A few bad bottles, but they just end up getting drank at the end of the night.
    mayor al
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 15244
    RE: Trader Joes 2006/02/28 13:18:00 (permalink)
    Scorereader, I like your comment on the bad wine bottles being used "later in the evening"!! I do that to Bushie every time he is in town. Two quick shots of Knob Creek will then be followed by a full bottle of 'Old Overshoe' or some other Ohio River Water product. So far he has never recognized the difference.

BTW- Shopping lists like yours are the reason why Trader Joes is such a success!
    BT
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3589
    RE: Trader Joes 2006/02/28 14:45:28 (permalink)
    To be honest, Trader Joe's is not nirvana. Back in San Francisco where everybody I've ever met shops there, they still fought like Al Qaeda terrorists to keep one out of the Upper Market neighborhood because they thought it would increase traffic and have inadequate parking (as the article said). And it's true: they aren't the cheapest place to shop. I long ago discovered I could save a couple bucks a pound buying parmigiano reggiano at CostCo instead.

BUT. They just have things nobody else has and they have so much good stuff all in one place. My cat is addicted to their "Tuna For Cats" and I have to shop there just for that. But then there's the "carnitas" (chop it up and it makes excellent "pulled" pork), and the Canadian blueberry jam, and the excellent Greek extra virgin olive oil, and the 3 grades of maple syrup sitting next to each other so you can compare, and the bargain-priced imported Madiera and Marsala, and the all-natural banana nut bread, and the "2 buck Chuck".

If it were a huge big box deal, they wouldn't be allowed to wedge it into city neighborhoods. As it is, it has just about everything any gourmet could want in a smallish, hood-friendly space and at prices that, if not the cheapest anywhere, are certainly reasonable.

If I didn't have one within driving range I would miss it terribly.
    BT
    Filet Mignon
    RE: Trader Joes 2006/02/28 14:48:34 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Scorereader

I find Coppola wines overpriced no matter where you buy them

I'll tell FFC next time I run into him at Tomasso's.
    Scorereader
    Sirloin
    RE: Trader Joes 2006/02/28 16:06:48 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by BT

quote:

I find Coppola wines overpriced no matter where you buy them

I'll tell FFC next time I run into him at Tomasso's.

LOL.

Coppolla's ok, but after my trip to Sonoma, I have my Sonoma favorites. Cappolla's not on the list. But, it's better than most of the stuff they call wine in Virginia, or worse yet, North Carolina.
    BT
    Filet Mignon
    RE: Trader Joes 2006/02/28 19:01:42 (permalink)
    quote:

after my trip to Sonoma, I have my Sonoma favorites. Cappolla's not on the list. But, it's better than most of the stuff they call wine in Virginia, or worse yet, North Carolina.

So you haven't tried Arizona wine (believe me, it exists)?
    MikeS.
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 5416
    RE: Trader Joes 2006/03/03 02:01:11 (permalink)
    Since TJ quit carrying cioppino sauce last year I haven't had much of a reason to go back. I will some day just because they do carry some different nice stuff.

MikeS.
    BT
    Filet Mignon
    RE: Trader Joes 2006/03/03 02:48:12 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by MikeSh

Since TJ quit carrying cioppino sauce last year I haven't had much of a reason to go back. I will some day just because they do carry some different nice stuff.

MikeS.

Did you ask about it? I've noticed sometimes items disappear for a while and then reappear. It happened to my kitty's tuna. But nothing I buy there has gone away for good.
    Scorereader
    Sirloin
    RE: Trader Joes 2006/03/03 14:45:00 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by BT

quote:

after my trip to Sonoma, I have my Sonoma favorites. Cappolla's not on the list. But, it's better than most of the stuff they call wine in Virginia, or worse yet, North Carolina.

So you haven't tried Arizona wine (believe me, it exists)?

I saw a 100 wines from 50 states special on...either Food Network or Fine Living. Not sure which channel, but apperently wine is made in all 50 states (although some states it's just those very sweet dessert wines and apple wines.) They had to pick one wine from every state, and then additional wineries. I had been to all the wineries they selected in NY, MD, NC, VA, PA, MA and one of the ones in CA.

Interesting show. And it also showed just how much wine producing is really spread ALL across the country. Not just in the traditional wine states like CA, NY, OR, WA, etc.

EliseT
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 2880
    RE: Trader Joes 2006/03/04 00:24:23 (permalink)
    I go to Trader Joe's for 2 things: baking goods (hard to find dried fruits and no sugar added coconut),

and Frozen garlic! It comes in tiny little ice-cube trays and is the closest I've ever gotten to the real thing when I'm too lazy.
    stevencarry
    Cheeseburger
    RE: Trader Joes 2006/03/04 00:28:34 (permalink)
    E.T. Thanks for the garlic tip, I am going to look for that at TJ's " />
    BT
    Filet Mignon
    RE: Trader Joes 2006/03/04 02:41:37 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by EliseT

I go to Trader Joe's for 2 things: baking goods (hard to find dried fruits and no sugar added coconut),

and Frozen garlic! It comes in tiny little ice-cube trays and is the closest I've ever gotten to the real thing when I'm too lazy.

Re garlic: Being a lazy so and so, I long ago gave up "the real thing" for Christopher Ranch minced (or chopped or, for purists, peeled whole) garlic. CostCo carries it in giant jars (and I personally use giant quantities because I love garlic) but otherwise I don't know if it can be found outside CA (in the Bay Area, Safeway carries it). To my taste it's much better than other brands of minced or chopped garlic in jars and it makes it unnecessary for me to have to remember to buy fresh garlic whenever I want to make a dish containing same (only to have any I don't use rot in the veggie drawer or dry out on the counter).
    jeepguy
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1555
    RE: Trader Joes 2006/03/04 16:01:15 (permalink)
    Parking at my local Trader Joe's is good but the checkout lines move crazy slow.I try to go after work at 1:30 pm on a weekday.
    EdSails
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3965
    RE: Trader Joes 2006/03/04 17:12:39 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by BT

quote:
    Originally posted by MikeSh

MikeS.

Did you ask about it? I've noticed sometimes items disappear for a while and then reappear. It happened to my kitty's tuna. But nothing I buy there has gone away for good.

They did discontinue it. I know-----I was addicted to it. Still having withdrawal symptoms.......
    Having grown up and shopped at the first two TJ's in the country (Pasadena and La Crescenta, CA) I've seen a lot of changes. They still have a lot of neat items not available elsewhere. I don't use TJ's for my main shopping, but it's usally my first place to go if I'm cooking for friends. They've really cut down the liquor section-----expanded the wines and cold items. Overall, though---it's still a good place to shop.
    stevencarry
    Cheeseburger
    RE: Trader Joes 2006/03/07 22:04:38 (permalink)
    Interesting article about TJ's today
    http://www.nytimes.com/2006/03/08/dining/08joes.html?pagewanted=1&ei=5089&en=df75e1f079df6686&ex=1299474000&partner=rssyahoo&emc=rss
    Also check out the "related articles" on the left side of the webpage

It says TJ's was founded for people who are "well educated, well traveled, and underpaid" that sounds like our group.
    Catracks
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 196
    RE: Trader Joes 2006/03/08 17:59:25 (permalink)
    quote:
    It says TJ's was founded for people who are "well educated, well traveled, and underpaid" that sounds like our group

I can believe that. Joe Coulombe, the founder is a friend of libraries. Librarians are severely over-educated and underpaid.

The guy in the original article here does indeed seem a whiner. I really didn't see the humor. Reason being that humor is usually based on some truth that other can relate to.

TJs is cheap except for their meat. I don't think I have ever bought something I didn't like there. Some things are so good I get cravings for them.

The snobs in California go to Bristol Farms, Whole Foods or Gelson's. Those places are pretentious and overpriced. Ordinary folks go to TJs.
    santacruz
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 372
    RE: Trader Joes 2006/03/09 11:21:06 (permalink)
    Haveing come from a backwards upstate NY/NE area, when I arrived in the Golden state it was such a blessing to find T.J.'s.

Just about every item I have tried at T.J.'s is either very good or excellent. And the price is usually lower that the Big supermarkets.

I just Love T.J.'s...fini
    Scorereader
    Sirloin
    RE: Trader Joes 2006/03/09 12:01:33 (permalink)
    TJ's is a party givers dream. savories, snacks, cheeses, wine, beer, the perfect ingredients for making appetisers, desserts, you name it. If I'm giving a party, there is hardly anything I can't get at TJ's...chicken wings...I don't buy chicken wings or Franks orginal red hot sauce. So, two items. I can forgive them for that.
    I've had a party for 25 and did it well for under $10 per person and had plenty of wine, beer and food left over.

Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1