Traditional Antipasto contains what?

Author
ces1948
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1512
2009/11/25 21:23:51 (permalink)

Traditional Antipasto contains what?

What would I or should I expect as ingredients when I order antipasto in a decent Italian restaurant. In my area there seems to be no standard. Tonight mine consisted of romaine, cherry tomatoes, a few black olives, a couple of pepperoncini, cucumber some salami, sweet ham and provolone. It was served with Italian dressing on the side.

25 Replies Related Threads

joerogo
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4545
    Re:Traditional Antipasto contains what? 2009/11/25 21:47:08 (permalink)
    ces1948, I usually judge an Italian restaurant by its antipasto, and yours didn't sound that great.  I like some cheese, roasted vegetables, cured meats, etc.

Look Here for some real Italian eats. 
    tiki
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4140
    Re:Traditional Antipasto contains what? 2009/11/26 06:42:56 (permalink)
    ces1948

What would I or should I expect as ingredients when I order antipasto in a decent Italian restaurant. In my area there seems to be no standard. Tonight mine consisted of romaine, cherry tomatoes, a few black olives, a couple of pepperoncini, cucumber some salami, sweet ham and provolone. It was served with Italian dressing on the side.

Sounds more like a salad then antipasto---my italian family served that AFTER the pasta--our antipasto were more like a plate of small tidbits that we dipped in olive oil--with no lettuce at all
    the grillman
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 632
    Re:Traditional Antipasto contains what? 2009/11/26 09:32:55 (permalink)
    For the ideal antipasto, I'm thinking cured meats like prosciutto and Italian sausages,  some good cheese like aged provolone, parmigiano Regianno, some Gorgonzola perhaps.  Crisp bread sticks.  A couple varieties of good olives, preferably marinated in garlic, etc, not California black olives.

Add some roasted red peppers, and maybe some of those small round Italian marinated onions, whose name escapes me right now....

Pepperocini peppers, too.  If you are really adventurous, some marinated seafood like octopus or sardines.   Also, it should be just a bite or so of each item, it's not a meal, it's an appetizer, meant to be shared with a lot of people.

That being said, my wife and I on more than one occassion, have made a bottle of red wine and an antipasto platter our light evening meal before a movie out.....

A quality antipasto platter isn't cheap, either.  The spread I'm referencing above is about $30-40 in these parts.....
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 18690
    Re:Traditional Antipasto contains what? 2009/11/26 09:33:55 (permalink)
    I grew up with antipasto that contained Genoa salami (rolled up almost tight enough to use as toothpicks), rolled slices of prosciutto, rolled provolone, artichoke hearts, roasted peppers, good olives, chunks of baccala, and green onions, all on a bed of lettuce. Oil and vinegar were passed with the antipasto. I still make it that way.
    analei
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 541
    Re:Traditional Antipasto contains what? 2009/11/26 09:41:52 (permalink)
    Antipasta--can be quite varied. I have seen a variety all around from banquet halls, people's homes, and restaurants. One thing does stand out, it is served before the pasta, meats, soup, or what have you, hence, the word ANTI, not after the pasta. It does usually have marinated/pickled veggies, some cured meats, olives, some veggies to nibble on, good cheese. Bread sometimes, or crackers/breadsticks/crostini. 

Lots of what people replied here sounds all correct. Of course, now it has me hungry.

I do have to add that Mr. Hoffman's sound the most similar to what we served in our family. Cannot say I cared much for the baccala. 

Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    Re:Traditional Antipasto contains what? 2009/11/27 19:49:24 (permalink)
    You didn't care much for the baccala? How terrible.
    stricken_detective
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 2330
    Re:Traditional Antipasto contains what? 2009/11/28 05:10:37 (permalink)
    When I make a platter for us, it's prosciutto, salami, fresh mozzarella slices, grape tomatoes, olives, and some good Italian bread. Sometimes we add fresh mushrooms.
    BillyB
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 2851
    Re:Traditional Antipasto contains what? 2009/11/28 20:50:59 (permalink)
    I always made  a Antipasta on a bed of crisp romaine lettuce, hard salami, provolone cheese, a few kinds of pickled peppers, pickled artichoke hearts, good black olives with pits,marinated mushrooms. I would sprinkle a good amount of real good olive oil and red wine vinegar. Serve with a hot from the bakery Italian bread or bread sticks........Billyb
    tacchino
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 560
    Re:Traditional Antipasto contains what? 2009/11/29 01:40:02 (permalink)
    Actually, the true Italian word is "antipasto," not "antipasta."  Pasto means meal, and  antipasti (plural) are considered hors d'oeuvres, coming before the meal, which may have pasta as a "primo piatto" (first course) or not.

That being said, the best ones I've eaten here in the US (and in Italy, where some restaurants will have a "self-service" set up for the antipasti alone) involved a number of the items mentioned above, including (depending on the season) eggplant, zucchini, etc. cooked in olive oil and served cold, and if I was lucky, a selection of delicious rice croquettes with a cheese and/or meat filling.

Marinated artichokes seem to be the norm here in the US, but in Rome, I would see frequently fresh artichokes lightly batter fried (carciofi alla romana); I style I prefer to the marinated ones. 
    post edited by tacchino - 2009/11/29 01:59:14
    joerogo
    Filet Mignon
    Re:Traditional Antipasto contains what? 2009/11/29 14:25:06 (permalink)
    tacchino, Roman Artichokes, a  signature appetizer in the city.  Fried crisp, the leaves are like potato chips.  One of my favorites and only available when artichokes are in season(In Italy).

post edited by joerogo - 2009/11/29 14:27:15
    leethebard
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6317
    Re:Traditional Antipasto contains what? 2009/11/29 16:02:09 (permalink)
    There was a restaurant in Rome called Ambasciatta D'Abruzzo that had an "all you can eat" dinner many years ago...and an antipasto salad bar as a first course to die for...I agree. artichoke hearts many ways are great. They also served many different kinds of mushrooms and such...wish I had access to that feast today!!!!
    analei
    Double Cheeseburger
    Re:Traditional Antipasto contains what? 2009/12/07 14:59:57 (permalink)
    Dear Joerogo,

I have done an extensive search, but what you are describing is not Roman Artichokes, but in fact Carciofi all guidea.

Please see: http://tangoitalia.com/re...rciofi_alla_giudea.htm
    http://www.epicurious.com...ofi-alla-Giudea-232077
    http://www.italianmade.com/recipes/recipe136.cfm
    http://www.aaanetserv.com/rome_food_lazio.html

I have eaten the dish myself when i was in Rome, and i have seen countless times in cookbooks, but i was thrown off when I read what you wrote.

Roman Artichokes are a different cooking style. Usually more of a marinated item.
    I sincerely hope you do not mind the correction.

Sincerely,
    analei
    analei
    Double Cheeseburger
    Re:Traditional Antipasto contains what? 2009/12/07 15:01:37 (permalink)
    Tacchino: Yes, it is spelled antipasto, I did make that error, but it was typo. Thanks for explanation.

joerogo
    Filet Mignon
    Re:Traditional Antipasto contains what? 2009/12/07 15:12:16 (permalink)
    analei, Could be something lost in the translation.  Now I will have to go back to Roma for confirmation.
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    Re:Traditional Antipasto contains what? 2009/12/07 15:21:03 (permalink)
    analei, Carciofi alla guidea is the famous Roman Jewish artichoke dish.
    joerogo
    Filet Mignon
    Re:Traditional Antipasto contains what? 2009/12/07 15:30:38 (permalink)
    Michael Hoffman

analei, Carciofi alla guidea is the famous Roman Jewish artichoke dish.

That explains it.  Both time I had this dish, it was in the section of Rome called The Jewish Ghetto.  This area in known for the most authentic Roman Cuisine.  

post edited by joerogo - 2009/12/07 15:36:30
    analei
    Double Cheeseburger
    Re:Traditional Antipasto contains what? 2009/12/07 15:40:40 (permalink)
    Thanks, Mr. Hoffman, they are indeed that.
    Ivyhouse
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 331
    Re:Traditional Antipasto contains what? 2009/12/07 16:22:12 (permalink)
    I agree with Michael Hoffman.  Growing up, our antipasto was basically the same (but no baccala, thank you...): Italian cold cuts sliced very thin -- ham capicola, different salamis, pepperoni, prosciutto, prosciuttini; olives, hot cherry peppers, stuffed cherry peppers, pepperoncini, scallions, radishes, marinated artichoke hearts, marinated roast peppers, mushrooms sauteed with garlic and oregano; a good strong provolone, mozzarella rolled with prosciutto; lots of Italian bread.  I used to enjoy shopping with my mom in the Italian delis in our town -- everything looked and smelled so good. 

I think I just decided what New Year's eve dinner will be.....!
    MiamiDon
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4306
    Re:Traditional Antipasto contains what? 2009/12/07 16:50:05 (permalink)
    I think, perhaps, this thread should have been titled:

Traditional Italian-American Antipasto contains what?
    NYPIzzaNut
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3146
    Re:Traditional Antipasto contains what? 2009/12/07 19:34:42 (permalink)
    Ivyhouse

I agree with Michael Hoffman.  Growing up, our antipasto was basically the same (but no baccala, thank you...): Italian cold cuts sliced very thin -- ham capicola, different salamis, pepperoni, prosciutto, prosciuttini; olives, hot cherry peppers, stuffed cherry peppers, pepperoncini, scallions, radishes, marinated artichoke hearts, marinated roast peppers, mushrooms sauteed with garlic and oregano; a good strong provolone, mozzarella rolled with prosciutto; lots of Italian bread.  I used to enjoy shopping with my mom in the Italian delis in our town -- everything looked and smelled so good. 

I think I just decided what New Year's eve dinner will be.....!
    I haven't seen or tasted good sharp imported provolone since I left Yonkers in 1970 - I loved that kind of cheese - the domestic provolone you buy nowadays bears no resemblance to it.

NYPIzzaNut
    Filet Mignon
    Re:Traditional Antipasto contains what? 2009/12/07 19:37:32 (permalink)
    analei

Antipasta--can be quite varied. I have seen a variety all around from banquet halls, people's homes, and restaurants. One thing does stand out, it is served before the pasta, meats, soup, or what have you, hence, the word ANTI, not after the pasta. It does usually have marinated/pickled veggies, some cured meats, olives, some veggies to nibble on, good cheese. Bread sometimes, or crackers/breadsticks/crostini. 

Lots of what people replied here sounds all correct. Of course, now it has me hungry.

I do have to add that Mr. Hoffman's sound the most similar to what we served in our family. Cannot say I cared much for the baccala.
    I think you had to  grow up with it to truly appreciate it.

leethebard
    Sirloin
    Re:Traditional Antipasto contains what? 2009/12/07 20:18:31 (permalink)
    NYPIzzaNut

analei

And don't you doubt for one minute that we appreciate growing up and being nurtured in an Italian home. Roadfood was great, when "all roads led to home'!!!!

NYPIzzaNut
    Filet Mignon
    Re:Traditional Antipasto contains what? 2009/12/07 20:34:36 (permalink)
    leethebard

NYPIzzaNut

analei

And don't you doubt for one minute that we appreciate growing up and being nurtured in an Italian home. Roadfood was great, when "all roads led to home'!!!!

I was twice blessed as I grew up in an Italian and Polish home!

leethebard
    Sirloin
    Re:Traditional Antipasto contains what? 2009/12/08 05:47:24 (permalink)
    Nice blend!
    joerogo
    Filet Mignon
    Re:Traditional Antipasto contains what? 2009/12/17 20:34:11 (permalink)
    joerogo

analei, Could be something lost in the translation.  Now I will have to go back to Roma for confirmation.

Now you didn't think I was kidding, did you? 

You were correct.  This is a Roman Artichoke prepared by Girarrosto Fiorentino in Roma.  Not marinated, but boiled.  Delicous, but not what I was looking for.

This is a Jewish Artichoke prepared by Antica Trattoria Da Carlone in the Trastevere section of Roma.  Very, very good, but still not as good as the ones I had in The Jewish Ghetto.

So we went to the Ghetto for lunch and tried this place.

Authentic Roman Jewish Cuisine.  And the best artichoke I ever tasted.

Great specials and menu.

Now if you need me to do anymore research......no problem!
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1