Tragedy at Pepe's

Author
GWCS555
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 35
2005/11/28 04:17:17 (permalink)

Tragedy at Pepe's

So here I am, from the San Francisco Bay Area. I travel all the way to New England to view the fall foliage and it rained 90% of the time (this was in mid-October). We were passing by New Haven, Ct. so we made a special detour to Pepe's Pizzeria. After some difficulty we found the place and see that it opens at 4:00 p.m. (I think I will subscribe to Roadfood). We walked around, bought some cannoli and biscotti at the bakery next door for dessert (which was excellent by the way) and we finally got into Pepe's.

Then tragedy strikes. NO WHITE CLAMS!! So we order sausage and pepperoni. It was excellent, if somehwhat salty. Our waitress, Jennifer, recommended we order half sausage and half pepperoni next time. I thought the tomato sauce was very interesting. It seemed like it was stewed fresh tomatoes and not a sauce. Oh well. maybe they'll have white clams the next time.

By the way there is something about places that are the pinnacle of their profession. From the old booths, the white tiles on the exterior of the oven, the superb quality of the pizza crust, our waitress Jennifer who exclaimed "Good job!" when she observed how much of our pizza we ate, all these things added up to a wonderful experience. I thank Roadfood for one of the highlights of my trip east.

14 Replies Related Threads

Michael Stern
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1031
    RE: Tragedy at Pepe's 2005/11/28 04:30:12 (permalink)
    It was because of an experience like yours that Jane and I first learned to cook shortly after we met many years ago. We had waited in line at Pepe's, got a table, and sat down only to be informed that there were no clams. The next day, we bought a pizza stone and peel, yeast, flour, clams, etc., and figured out how to make pizza. Needless to say, it wasn't Pepe's quality...
    V960
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 2429
    RE: Tragedy at Pepe's 2005/11/29 14:57:59 (permalink)
    Telphones....telephones...modern and complicateed but so so effective.
    vegas
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 82
    RE: Tragedy at Pepe's 2005/11/29 15:01:18 (permalink)

well, would'nt it have been a bigger tragedy to be served canned clams as so many other pizzarias do? when they run out of fresh clams at Pepe's, thats it for the day

bethgrd
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 320
    RE: Tragedy at Pepe's 2005/12/04 18:27:30 (permalink)
    I have been reading about pepes for so many years via roadfood, and the last few years on this site. so when we finally made it to "the spot" today at one oclock opening, i was so excited. we ordered the white clam pie. I love clams and i love pizza. but i am sorry to say we were disappointed. much of the garlic was burnt and gave the whole thing a bitter taste. the clams themselves were good as was the crust(the part that wasn't burnt), but the bitter garlic tasted spoiled it. we then ordered a tomato cheese pie which was very good.Maybe it was just a bad day or maybe i just don't like white clam pie. please spare me your slings and arrows..just being honest. beth
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 18346
    RE: Tragedy at Pepe's 2005/12/04 18:50:27 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by bethgrd

I have been reading about pepes for so many years via roadfood, and the last few years on this site. so when we finally made it to "the spot" today at one oclock opening, i was so excited. we ordered the white clam pie. I love clams and i love pizza. but i am sorry to say we were disappointed. much of the garlic was burnt and gave the whole thing a bitter taste. the clams themselves were good as was the crust(the part that wasn't burnt), but the bitter garlic tasted spoiled it. we then ordered a tomato cheese pie which was very good.Maybe it was just a bad day or maybe i just don't like white clam pie. please spare me your slings and arrows..just being honest. beth

It's OK, Beth. I grew up eating apizza from Pepe's, Sally's and The Spot (when it wasn't owned by Pepe's), and, despite the fact that I love clams, I've never cared much for the clam pies.
    Scallion1
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 418
    RE: Tragedy at Pepe's 2005/12/04 21:55:11 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by V960

uh huh. twice i called ahead to pepe's and was told they had plenty of clams for the day, but when i got there, not a one to be had.

and i must confess that the last two times i went there it was far below what i'd come to expect.

and, of course, there's the fact that when you're at pepe's, you're in new haven.
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    RE: Tragedy at Pepe's 2005/12/04 21:57:53 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Scallion1

quote:
    Originally posted by V960

and, of course, there's the fact that when you're at pepe's, you're in new haven.

Well at least you have that going for you.
    Scallion1
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 418
    RE: Tragedy at Pepe's 2005/12/04 22:54:41 (permalink)
    Michael, I know you're an erstwhile denizen of the Elm City, and entitled to your opinion. I can only say that since my period of residency there, in the late '60s, the city has lost whatever raffish, O'Hara-ish charm it might have had. I've enjoyed it less and less every time that I've returned.

The places I cherished and frequented, e.g., the Heidelberg, the Robin's Nest, Rudy's, the Co-op, are gone. Only the Doodle seems unchanged. What's left is, one the one hand, creeping mall-ism, and, on the other, danger and sadness. The campus I once loved, and prowled at all hours of the day and night is now gated and forbidding. In my years there one could go up into the stacks of Sterling; I don't remember the procedure, and I'm certain I never had an i.d. card of any nature.

Maybe I'm just getting old, and look back in sorrow at what seems to have been a better time, and maybe I should just shut up and eat my pizza, if there are any clams left to put on it, and stop crying in my beer.

Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    RE: Tragedy at Pepe's 2005/12/04 23:01:17 (permalink)
    I'm afraid my memories of New Haven are etched in granite, as unrealistic as that must be. I haven't been back in a number of years, and my only connection has been with obviously biased relatives and friends who've made New haven their home all of these years.
    cyclops
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 16
    RE: Tragedy at Pepe's 2006/01/08 15:57:38 (permalink)
    New Haven today:

If it wasn't for Yale, they would have thrown 20 foot walls and guard towers around the city limits. Yale is NH's life blood.

I grew up Hartford and went down to new haven every weekend to chow on pizza and later burgers. The pizza now CAN be close to what is was in the past, but most of the time it is not up to par. The oil is far inferior to what is was, they change their mozzarella frequently,and mushrooms were ALWAYS CANNED, even in their hayday.

To tell you the truth, many pizzaiolos who trained on Wooster steet opened thier own shop. There is just a lot of better pizza places in connecticut now then in the NH era.

But the above posters are correct, NH has become ridiculously nauseating, which is to bad. Yale saves it from becoming like Bridgeport, another city in connecticut rich in food and entertainment that has just completely sh it the bed.
    pizzatherapy
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 1
    RE: Tragedy at Pepe's 2006/02/02 11:14:02 (permalink)
    I've gotten reports that the new Pepe's in Fairfield has just opened up or will open up soon.
    Has anyone tried the new Pepe's?
    I would very much like to hear an opinion. Most importantly, do they have a coal fired oven?
    The taste, I would guess would be about the same, but without a coal fired oven, I am not sure.

I would greatly appreciate any feedback. I have several Pepe's page at my website. I love Pepe's pizza!
    Pizza on Earth,
    albert
    http://www.pizzatherapy.com/
    Adjudicator
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5065
    RE: Tragedy at Pepe's 2006/02/03 20:51:21 (permalink)
    Greetings Albert!!! By now you have recieved my Email from RF.
    Glad you have joined us. I know you have a wealth of knowledge to share!!!
    acefood
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 10
    RE: Tragedy at Pepe's 2006/02/27 13:47:14 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by cyclops

New Haven today:

But the above posters are correct, NH has become ridiculously nauseating, which is to bad. Yale saves it from becoming like Bridgeport, another city in connecticut rich in food and entertainment that has just completely sh it the bed.

And what scintillating town might you be from, Cy? Go easy with the harsh words, dude.

Ace
    Lifelong Bridgeporter
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    RE: Tragedy at Pepe's 2006/02/27 14:29:53 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by acefood

quote:
    Originally posted by cyclops

New Haven today:

And what scintillating town might you be from, Cy? Go easy with the harsh words, dude.

Ace
    Lifelong Bridgeporter

Ah, hello Ace. The poster must be from East Haven.
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1