Trailer Park eats...Chicken Fried Bacon

Author
doggydaddy
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1847
2009/06/21 19:44:47 (permalink)

Trailer Park eats...Chicken Fried Bacon

I had to pass this on to all of you food fans. Maybe you have heard of it, thinking it couldn't be possible to take bacon to another level. But it is true, there is such a thing as chicken fried bacon. I might have found something everybody must eat before dying... It will certainly help you get to heaven.
The South Austin Trailer Park and Eatery is a destination to make.

There are a few vending trailers with picnic tables under a smattering of shady trees. The reason for this trip was  to go to Shuggie's and try The Rambler, one of their signature burgers. It is a flat-top griddled burger with smoked Gouda cheese, house made BBQ sauce, lettuce, tomato and chicken fried bacon on a fresh black pepper bun!!!

Next to it is Torchy's Tacos. It won best taco in the Austin weekly. I trust those polls. Both these places rated. This trailer is a offshoot of their restaurant down the road. I wish that Torchy's listed what were the ingredients in them. I later found out there is some good stuff coming out of that trailer.

Here is the dessert trailer. If you look at the bottom corner, you will see that they offer 14 types of S'mores. At night there is a blazing campfire and people gather around it, cooking under the stars.

There is a Air-Stream converted into a mini gift store.

For Kosher Cowboys and Cowgirls here in Roadfood:

Part of this report was to say that there are more than hotdog vendors plying their trade. There is a vendor culture where if you make it, they will come to eat it.

http://torchystacos.com/index2.htm

mark

post edited by doggydaddy - 2009/06/21 20:19:50

17 Replies Related Threads

susanll
    • Total Posts : 1077
    Re:Trailer Park eats...Chicken Fried Bacon 2009/06/21 19:58:57 (permalink)
    How fun!  Great pictures.
    Buffalo Tarheel
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 503
    Re:Trailer Park eats...Chicken Fried Bacon 2009/06/21 20:21:29 (permalink)
    Mark,

I don't know whether to be horrified or enthralled by the pictures of the chicken-fried bacon.  Living in the land of deep-fried chicken wings, I can hardly cast stones at other food.  I suspect that when the chance came, I would eat one of those burgers and enjoy it.  Thanks for the report and for keeping us updated.

Rob
    Nancypalooza
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3778
    Re:Trailer Park eats...Chicken Fried Bacon 2009/06/22 09:56:13 (permalink)
    Mark, I am so glad you are getting into Austin Weird with both hands and feet.  I think I burped just looking at that burger.
    The Travelin Man
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3748
    Re:Trailer Park eats...Chicken Fried Bacon 2009/06/22 10:08:36 (permalink)
    I want a picture of someone eating the chicken-fried bacon, while wearing the "Chai Y'all" shirt!

On a side note...I WANT that shirt.
    doggydaddy
    Re:Trailer Park eats...Chicken Fried Bacon 2009/06/22 11:51:19 (permalink)

Nancy: I usually do things head first too. I have the bumps to prove it...
    I have the feeling that I am back among similar places that were my favorites in the Bay Area.

TTM: I was TM'ed the next day. On Sunday, I went to Southside Market in Elgin...they were closed.

I love puns so I threw that t-shirt photo. I drove by one cart that was called  'DeFresh Mode'.. but it was vegetarian.(ugh).

mark
    The Travelin Man
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3748
    Re:Trailer Park eats...Chicken Fried Bacon 2009/06/22 11:59:58 (permalink)
    Mark -

I think you will come to find that many of the small towns that surround Austin (most of which are known for the excellent 'que) are closed either Sunday or Monday or both.  I recall having that conversation with Bushie the last time I was in town - as it bridged a weekend that way.

I sent the picture of that t-shirt to a friend of mine in Dallas and he wants to know where he can find one!
    Davydd
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6355
    Re:Trailer Park eats...Chicken Fried Bacon 2009/06/22 13:43:14 (permalink)
    Must be the latest craze. Burger Jones in Minneapolis doesn't pretend to be trailer park, in fact more upscale, but does have a White Trash Burger on their menu with chicken fried bacon AND Velveeta cheese.

Photo is here:

http://www.roadfood.com/Forums/Burger-Jones-Minneapolis-Minnesota-m520501.aspx
    brittneal
    • Total Posts : 1265
    Re:Trailer Park eats...Chicken Fried Bacon 2009/06/22 14:15:10 (permalink)
    Its kid of of neat.  Its on the trendy side but i could see it attracting a good crowwd.  it would probably be a must do deal for out of town guests.
    I remember seeing a show on either the food channel or PBS about a a guy that ran this trucker/cowboy style olace.  Specialties were his chickent fry's and then he came up with the chicken fried bacon.  They took thick strips of bacon and battered them and sold them as is(not a sandwich).  The gut also had some great looking deals on steakd.  That was a few years back.  I wish I could remember more.
    I wondr how that "Peter Luger" type bacon would be cooked like that.  Maybe too fatty.
    Still id love to vists that Tariler Park.  My folks live in Austin.  They might get a kick out it.
    britt
    ann peeples
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 8326
    Re:Trailer Park eats...Chicken Fried Bacon 2009/06/22 14:29:08 (permalink)
    Mark-that burger sounds fantastic!! I think I would love the chicken fried bacon.The onion rings look good, too. The whole area sounds like a great discovery!!
    MiamiDon
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4306
    Re:Trailer Park eats...Chicken Fried Bacon 2009/06/22 14:44:57 (permalink)
    The Travelin Man

I want a picture of someone eating the chicken-fried bacon, while wearing the "Chai Y'all" shirt!

On a side note...I WANT that shirt.

Try here:

http://www.cafepress.com/jewtee/3054017

catosaurus
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 292
    Re:Trailer Park eats...Chicken Fried Bacon 2009/06/22 15:36:16 (permalink)
    Wow.  Thanks for sharing.  I'm sitting here at work at my desk in downtown Los Angeles trying to imagine was the tastes and textures of "chicken fried bacon" would be like: would the fatty portion of the bacon be crisp enough? would the overall taste be too salty or just right?  It's lunch time and I'm getting hungry, but Austin is WAY too far away today!
    Nancypalooza
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3778
    Re:Trailer Park eats...Chicken Fried Bacon 2009/06/22 15:47:42 (permalink)
    I dunno, catosaurus.  I bet if you walked up to one of those skinny LA girls with a piece of chicken fried bacon it'd make her hiss like a vampire faced down with garlic.
    Davydd
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6355
    Re:Trailer Park eats...Chicken Fried Bacon 2009/06/22 15:57:17 (permalink)
    The chicken fried bacon I had was all crispy. I'm tempted to try it at home in my deep fryer. When you think about it, it is frying fat in fat. It can't get no fatter can it? Would frying in one of the good for you oils like Canola oil make it more healthy?
    doggydaddy
    Re:Trailer Park eats...Chicken Fried Bacon 2009/06/22 19:10:51 (permalink)

TTM
    Here is a link to La-Dee-Dah:

http://www.designld.com/ladeedah.html

To all of you other folks..

I wish I had a better photo to share of the CFbacon, but it was covered with BBQ sauce and shredded lettuce. Food does not have to be pretty to taste good.
    Truth be told it tasted like ...a porky chicken. The bacon was not crisp, which I like, and the coating was flavorful. I think they could have been more generous with the smoked gouda. It was a very good, three napkin burger!!!!

Most important, I noticed that there was no ketchup anywhere to be found. I am a ketchup person but knew it wasn't required.

I later found a place that may deserve more investigation. I wasn't thinking but I later found myself tired and hungry, glad to stop and sit down. Ross' is a two generation place with a first rate CFS. This was better than either Threadgill's or Hoover's. I am serious, I did not need S&P.
    The broccoli was cooked fresh and crisp, a heresy to many... But the green beans made up for that by coming from a #10 can.

mark

txdartchic
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 1
    Re:Trailer Park eats...Chicken Fried Bacon 2009/07/28 23:30:07 (permalink)
    Chicken Fried Bacon was invented at the Sodalak's Original Country Inn in Snook, TX - just outside of College Station/Bryan.
    My DH and I went down for an A&M reunion last Oct and stoped there to try the CFB.. Very tasty - served with a side of cream gravy. Very, very rich though! We ordered a side order, about 6-8 pieces and were only able to eat 2 ea.

Texas Country Reporter did a story on it a few yrs back.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZfbTO0GlONU

Cathy
    mayor al
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 15241
    Re:Trailer Park eats...Chicken Fried Bacon 2009/08/04 20:21:34 (permalink)
    Conan, last night, described a new "health food" available at this year's Wisconsin State Fair... Chicken Fried Bacon !  He claimed that his information source said that the fair-goer's were going to 'Eat Healthy' this year !
    PapaJoe8
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5504
    Re:Trailer Park eats...Chicken Fried Bacon 2009/08/09 12:15:22 (permalink)
    The Travel Channel also had something about the CFB in Snook Texas. Looked great!
    Joe
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1