Train From Vancouver, BC to Toronto, Then NYC and Boston

Page: < 1234 > Showing page 2 of 4
Author
FriedClamFanatic
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1637
Re:Train From Vancouver, BC to Toronto, Then NYC and Boston 2012/07/08 01:58:17 (permalink)
I know there's more to come............but...........the photos...........the commentary.....the smile on Mollie's face.............It makes this A Roadfood Classic!   Well Done!...and Damn....even the food looks good!
tcrouzer
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 431
Re:Train From Vancouver, BC to Toronto, Then NYC and Boston 2012/07/08 08:35:01 (permalink)
To be able to just sit there and let that beautiful scenery unfold before you? I would find that to be bliss! Our local PBS station has had train trips thru the Canadian Rockies several times -- now I see why. Great report!
pnwchef
  • Total Posts : 2365
Re:Train From Vancouver, BC to Toronto, Then NYC and Boston 2012/07/08 09:29:52 (permalink)
The Train pulled into Winnipeg at 8 PM, Winnipeg is the largest city and Capital of Manitoba. (Pics from Wikipedia)  Most of the people got off the train to either check E-mail at the station, or stroll through the market near the station. The Train left the station at about 10:30 PM, by then we were bank in our cabin for another nights sleep. I asked Mollie again, how are you enjoying the train trip, her answer was, Papa, I thought I would be board, but I am having a great time. This night we all went to sleep after another fun day viewing the scenery of Saskatchewan and Manitoba.
The next morning we woke up to the Forrest and Lakes of Ontario. What a wonderful Scenic day we have ahead. While we were at dinner, the train conductor would phone back to the crew, Elk to the right of the train, bear to the left, and so on. these are some of the stock pictures and scenery you will see during this days ride while sitting up in the Dome car or enjoying a meal in the dinning car.
Bull Elk to the left:

Bear to the right:

Moose coming up standing in the pond:

Her brother close by:

This part of the trip is full of scenic ponds, water lilies, large lakes and forrest. It was great sitting up in the dome car viewing the land as God made it. Man hasn't touched this wilderness yet, I'm thankful to see this before he does.

Busy little beavers, you will see a lot of beaver dams and blooming water lilies on the way across Ontario.

We will see you at dinner, our last night on the train......

ayersian
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 900
Re:Train From Vancouver, BC to Toronto, Then NYC and Boston 2012/07/08 16:16:20 (permalink)
Bill, I'm looking forward to your Boston finds!  What a trip this is -- keep it coming!    Chris
pnwchef
Re:Train From Vancouver, BC to Toronto, Then NYC and Boston 2012/07/08 21:07:45 (permalink)
It's Friday night, Mollie still has a smile on her face and our trip ends at 9:30 Am in the morning. We went to the wine tasting at 7 PM, tasted some wine and then off to our last dinner on the train. The time flew by, we boarded on Tuesday night at 8:30 and now it's Friday night. Here is what we had for dinner on our last evening riding the rails.
My wife had the Parmesan crusted Halibut with a Red Pepper coulis

I had the Roast Prime Rib with a Rosemary Demi-Glace

Mollie had the Chicken strips that I already posted
This is a Typical days menu
Breakfast
Transcontinental
Two eggs prepared any style, with hash browns, your choice of bacon, ham or breakfast sausage, served with toast or a fresh-baked muffin.
Chef's Omelette
Please ask your server about today’s omelette special.
Served with hash browns and your choice of toast or a fresh-baked muffin.
Stuffed French Toast
French toast stuffed with cheesecake filling topped with wildberry compote and whipped cream
Continental Breakfast
Hot oatmeal or assorted cold cereal and your choice of fruit yogurt, toast or a fresh-baked muffin.

Coffee -- Selection of Teas -- Milk -- Juices

Children's menu available

Please inform your server of any special dietary needs.

Lunch
Turkey Sandwich
Open-face turkey, bacon, Brie, apple and spinach sandwich served on focaccia bread.
Shrimp and Scallops
Seared shrimp and scallop skewers served on salad with saskatoon berries.
Citrus Salad
Orange and grapefruit segments, shaved fennel and diced tomatoes and avocado with goat cheddar cheese over baby spinach with tangy fresh herb vinaigrette.
Grilled Chicken Ravioli
Ravioli with grilled chicken breast and basil-blended Ricotta, Mozzarella and Asiago cheeses, roasted garlic and rosemary served in duck ragout.

Selection of desserts

Children's menu available
We would be happy to accommodate any special dietary needs.
Please ask your server.

Dinner
Soup
or
Salad
Prime Rib of Beef
AAA Canadian beef, oven-roasted to medium rare and served with a rich rosemary demi-glace.
Chicken Breast with Salsa
Grilled chicken breast with a fruit salsa and creamy apple sauce.
Pan-roasted Halibut
Pan-seared with a smoked paprika crust, served with a roasted red pepper coulis.
Four-cheese Pasta
Ravioli ai quattro formaggi with a creamy filling made with our best cheeses: Ricotta Impastata, Fontina, Parmigiano Reggiano and Sardinian Pecorino Sardo cheeses in a marinara sauce.

Selection of desserts

Children's menu available.
We would be happy to accommodate any special dietary needs.
Please ask your server.

I would do this trip over again in a heart beat. If what I have posted gives anyone a push in this direction, you will have the time of your life. I never had any use for a watch, when your ridding a train you have no control over time, the train control when you get to your destination. I didn't use my phone for 4 days, no internet for 3 days, and I didn't miss it a bit.
  We pulled into Toronto 2 1/2 hrs late, like I said you never set your watch by the train. We had people on the train with close connecting times, I think most of them missed their connection. I would recommend a day of two in Toronto, you never know what can happen over 5 nights and 2800 miles of track. If any one would like more info on this trip, I can answer any questions. Contact me by PM in this site..... Thank you all for the nice comments, We are now catching a Go-Train in Union station  to Niagara Falls, it's about a 2 hr trip. See ya with more travel pictures soon, we will see if Mollie keeps the smile on her face................
post edited by pnwchef - 2012/07/14 08:55:37
mar52
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 7832
Re:Train From Vancouver, BC to Toronto, Then NYC and Boston 2012/07/08 21:14:41 (permalink)
Bill, you gave Mollie a trip she'll treasure for a lifetime.
I went with my family to the East Coast by the Southern route and returned by the northern route and I remember almost all of it with a smile.  That was in 1961.

My mother packed a picnic basket and we shared seats.  No private room.

You win!
pnwchef
Re:Train From Vancouver, BC to Toronto, Then NYC and Boston 2012/07/09 11:02:43 (permalink)
Mar, I bet you had a great time. The train I was on in Canada had a economy class car. I don't know if I could have sat in a seat for 2800 miles. You have to watch the Picnic baskets in bear country..........hope your doing well..............Bill
pnwchef
Re:Train From Vancouver, BC to Toronto, Then NYC and Boston 2012/07/09 11:23:40 (permalink)
Our train came into Union station in Toronto at 12 noon, I was on a Go-train by 12:43 headed for Niagara falls. We were there in about 2 hrs, ready to watch water fall off a cliff. This is a picture of Mollie, wasting away again in Margaritaville, looking for her lost shaker of salt.

Mollie at the Falls...

The view of the falls from our room.... Mollie loved this view, at 10 PM they lite the falls up with different color lights......

We ate at Margaritaville, Mollie loved it, we all know what the foods like. There are not many RF kind of places on the Canadian side of the falls. What I should have done is, take a cab over to the boarder to Buffalo. What I did was stay in Niagara falls one night and went back to Toronto airport to catch a 9:30 flight out to NYC................See ya in NYC

post edited by pnwchef - 2012/07/09 11:35:36
wallhd
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 430
Re:Train From Vancouver, BC to Toronto, Then NYC and Boston 2012/07/09 12:31:32 (permalink)
Too bad that you didn't have time to ride Amtrak from Niagara Falls to NYC. Or Via from Toronto to Montreal and take The  Amtrak Adirondack to New York.

Wally
pnwchef
Re:Train From Vancouver, BC to Toronto, Then NYC and Boston 2012/07/09 14:40:15 (permalink)
wallhd

Too bad that you didn't have time to ride Amtrak from Niagara Falls to NYC. Or Via from Toronto to Montreal and take The  Amtrak Adirondack to New York.

Wally

Hi Wally, I thought about taking the train down to NYC, we were on the train for 4 nights, I didn't want to push my luck with the train again. I figured fly to NYC and then train to Boston, it worked out well.......................take care.................Bill
mar52
Sirloin
Re:Train From Vancouver, BC to Toronto, Then NYC and Boston 2012/07/09 14:50:05 (permalink)
Gorgeous pictures!  The Falls are nice, too.
Margaritaville in Niagara Falls...
Margaritaville in New Orleans...

Are we starting a Roadfood trend?

Bill, Sharon and I are doing well.  Thanks for asking.

I'm still jealous of your trip!  I think I'd have to win the Lotto for just a seat on that train.
love2bake
  • Total Posts : 1368
Re:Train From Vancouver, BC to Toronto, Then NYC and Boston 2012/07/09 15:34:35 (permalink)
I enjoyed this report so much! This is a trip I've wanted to take, too.  I definitely wouldn't mind going back to Niagara Falls, either.  The Maid of the Mist excursion is intense.
pnwchef
Re:Train From Vancouver, BC to Toronto, Then NYC and Boston 2012/07/09 22:09:37 (permalink)
We left Pearson Airport in Toronto 4 hrs late because of Thunder storms in NYC, all planes were gounded at all airports. We were lucky to get out of Toronto when we did at 12 PM. We got to La Guardia at about 2:30, I had reservations at Peter Lugers at 3:45. I knew I couldn't get to my hotel, get checked in and the get over to the Bronx in a hour. I called Peter Lugers, told them what I wanted to do, they said Come on over, we will take care of your luggage. When I came into the restaurant I walked over to the lady that I talked with. They took our luggage and she told some one to seat us. We didn't eat breakfast so we were ready for what Peter Lugers is know for. this is what Peter Lugers is know for.. Dry aged Poterhouse steak. from PL's web site shows what they offer 
This is what we started with Ceasar Salad good and fresh.

Our Steak , cooked to perfection, nice outside seasoned crust, melt in your mouth tender.

Mollie said I'll have more please:

We had the Creamed spinach and french fries. The french were hand cut, hot, thick, crispy and good. the creamed spinach was good Rolls and butter couldn't ask for any better. This meal was what I was waiting for, Mollie loved it, Joyce said it was great. The waiter did a great job, thanks to everyone at Peter Lugers for making this happen.

The next day we toured Manhatten, 6 hours with a boat tour.
Mollie at the Statue of Liberty

Mollie with the Freedom towers 1 & 2 in the background, great site, happy to see America pride standing tall.

After the tour we went to Eds Lobster, we started with a fried clam appetizer. this was Joyces first fried clam, she was hooked. These were some of the better ones I have had.

We both had Maine Lobster, with great hand cut fries with sea salt and cole slaw. 

This was a end to a great day, NYC is a great city. I even founa good Knish while I was there.

We stayed at the Sheraton Hotel and Towers on 7th ave and 53rd, everone at the hotel was great, the room was on the 30th floor, not a bad size room for NYC, the location is 2 blooks from Broadway shows, 3 blooks from Rockefeller ctr and right down the street from Times Square. Great location and I would stay here again.

post edited by pnwchef - 2012/07/12 08:47:20
billyboy
  • Total Posts : 2393
Re:Train From Vancouver, BC to Toronto, Then NYC and Boston 2012/07/10 00:54:10 (permalink)
pnwchef, great report!  Such wonderful scenery and the food on the train looks pretty good too.  Wish I had gone on a trip like that with my grandparents when I was Mollie's age.  So glad that the train Staff and Luger's were so good to you.  It certainly helps in making for a smooth trip for everyone.  Love that Luger's steak and all the trimmings.  Haven't been to Ed's yet but it's on my list.  Eagerly awaiting the next installment...!

pnwchef
Re:Train From Vancouver, BC to Toronto, Then NYC and Boston 2012/07/10 10:32:39 (permalink)
Thanks for the kind words Billy, your city offers a wonderful array of unique foods. I would say the best quality of food in the world, with a lot of heart and soul behind it. Mollie has traveled with us from birth, I had her on a Snowmobile going to a New Years eve party at 2 weeks old. The stuffed seal Mollie carries around with her traveled more to this point than I did the first 40 years of my life.................Take care Billy....................Bill
FriedClamFanatic
  • Total Posts : 1637
Re:Train From Vancouver, BC to Toronto, Then NYC and Boston 2012/07/10 11:15:09 (permalink)
What a wonderful set of pictures and observations....and those clams look mighty tasty too!
pnwchef
Re:Train From Vancouver, BC to Toronto, Then NYC and Boston 2012/07/10 11:15:44 (permalink)
Most days breakfast was at a close by deli for a Ham and egg on a hard roll, or a slice or two of pizza. I can't waste my limited eating time on full breakfasts. Ray's pizza was close, so what the heck. One morning I walked into Rays,, I looked at the pizza, it looked old like in last nights left over. I asked if it there was fresh pizza coming out, his answer was, this is fresh. I gave him the look, the one that shows I just didn't fall of the turnip truck. These are a few slices from another Rays up the street.

It was now time to get ready for the 2 PM Matinee at the Gershwin Theatre. This is Mollies first Broadway play, I think I am more excited than she is, I have wait a lot of years to take her to Broadway. imho there is nothing like seeing a musical on Broadway. Today we get to see the musical Wicked.

Mollie loved the musical, she followed the musical and kept up with the plot. The seats were great, she will remember this day for the rest of her life. After the Musical we stopped at a Oyster House on 7th ave, I left my camera in the hotel. I had a good Linguine Alle Vongole, Joyce had Soft Shell Crabs, Mollie downed 15 loves of Garlic bread, GGEEZZZZZ she loves this stuff. Later Mollie had a Sub, I told her she needed some protein.........

mar52
Sirloin
Re:Train From Vancouver, BC to Toronto, Then NYC and Boston 2012/07/10 13:02:55 (permalink)
Outstanding!

What a trip!

Did you wonder what you were missing during the night?

Mollie is indeed a show stopper!
californyguy
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 513
Re:Train From Vancouver, BC to Toronto, Then NYC and Boston 2012/07/10 13:21:10 (permalink)
whaty a great report and trip..I had many great trips with my grandfather grandmother while growing up .. remember them all with great fondness as I am sure Molly will as well...what a great grandpa you are!! 
pnwchef
Re:Train From Vancouver, BC to Toronto, Then NYC and Boston 2012/07/10 14:04:17 (permalink)
mar52

Outstanding!

What a trip!

Did you wonder what you were missing during the night?

Mollie is indeed a show stopper!

What did I miss during the night ????????? this is getting scary..........
kland01s
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 2835
Re:Train From Vancouver, BC to Toronto, Then NYC and Boston 2012/07/10 16:32:25 (permalink)
Thank you for this great trip report! Just to let you know, I traveled with my grandparents when I was 6. I grew up in Chicago but my grandfather had a sister in LA. We did the grand trip to visit her! First flight at 6 yrs old in 1952. 60 years later, I still remember every minute and so shall Mollie!!!
post edited by kland01s - 2012/07/11 09:24:57
pnwchef
Re:Train From Vancouver, BC to Toronto, Then NYC and Boston 2012/07/10 19:11:42 (permalink)
Our last day in NYC, we took a cab down to 3rd ave between 20th and 21st in Gramercy. The Sandwich shop is Defonte's of Brooklyn, I have been looking forward to this place for 6 months. We get there a 1/2 hr before they open, so we take Mollie to Subway, some day she will change, today isn't the day. Defonte's is known for their Hot Roast beef sandwiches, I ordered one of them, along with a Nicky Special. The Roast beef comes with Fried eggplant and mozzarella cheese.

Piled high, would you like some Rare on top sir, yes I would thanks

Split the sandwich with my wife, giving someone half of this sandwich is real love. All I can say is, this is one of the best Roast beef sandwiches I have ever had. It is melt in your mouth tender and juicy, the bread is fresh and crusty, I am enjoying this. Billyboy, if the Defonte's in Brooklyn is better, I can't see how.

Deli salads on display

post edited by pnwchef - 2012/07/14 09:02:19
pnwchef
Re:Train From Vancouver, BC to Toronto, Then NYC and Boston 2012/07/10 19:34:48 (permalink)
The Nicky Special is a Italian sub with, ham, Cappocollo, salami, fried eggplant, provolone, hot salad, marinated mushrooms, lettuce, tomato, oil and vinegar. I had half of this sandwich back at the hotel, it was just what I wanted, crusty bread with all the Italian flavors this man could take, it was wonderful. I gave the other half to a security guard in the lobby, I have a friend for ever.

We went back out after the girls did some shopping for Mollies school clothes, we went over a few blocks and found.

Red Velvet cheese cake

These cupcake were melt in your mouth to die for, buttercream frosting that is lighter than air, 2 red velvet, two Chocolate Chocolate and 2 vinalla with buttercream

Does that seal ever stay home

We are off to Boston, on the morning train. Thank you New York, you treated us well..........
post edited by pnwchef - 2012/07/14 09:09:30
billyboy
  • Total Posts : 2393
Re:Train From Vancouver, BC to Toronto, Then NYC and Boston 2012/07/10 22:32:10 (permalink)
pnwchef, I could be wrong but I think that mar52 was asking about what sights you might have missed during the night while sleeping on the train.  I'll bet there were some amazing moonlit mountain views to be seen!

Ray's can be really hit or miss.  It's convenience pizza.  Not the best the city has to offer (most slice joints aren't anyway) but the slice definitely is an important part of the NYC food culture.  So glad you were able to see Wicked.  Such a fun show and a great story.  The Wizard of Oz (somewhat) from a totally different perspective.  

Mmmm...DeFonte's!  Love that roast beef and I think the fried eggplant gives it just the salty accent that makes it perfect.  It IS a daunting sandwich for one.  I've not been to the Brooklyn original but from what I've heard it has more of the Old Brooklyn charm to it.  I think the cheese on that roast beef in the pic above looks like mozzarella.  That's what they've usually put on it whenever I ordered one.  I work just a few blocks from that Magnolia and occasionally pop in for some of their banana pudding.

Spent 6 years in Boston, can't wait to see what sights and treats you found there.  Thanks again for such a wonderful report!
post edited by billyboy - 2012/07/10 22:52:43
Hepcat
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 374
Re:Train From Vancouver, BC to Toronto, Then NYC and Boston 2012/07/10 23:50:28 (permalink)
This report is way cool! I love trains and I took the Canadian back from Vancouver to Toronto in 1983 when it travelled the southern route through Calgary and Regina.

mar52
Sirloin
Re:Train From Vancouver, BC to Toronto, Then NYC and Boston 2012/07/11 00:39:15 (permalink)
Someone understands me!
tcrouzer
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 431
Re:Train From Vancouver, BC to Toronto, Then NYC and Boston 2012/07/11 08:34:58 (permalink)
Thanks for explaining Mollie's stuffed toy - I was wondering what critter it was.

Delfonte's looks amazing, not only for those sandwiches but that display case of deli salads looks really good - and I just had breakfast.

My dad took me out for dinner and to a Broadway show when I was about 13 years old.....what memories!
pnwchef
Re:Train From Vancouver, BC to Toronto, Then NYC and Boston 2012/07/11 08:43:53 (permalink)
Hi Mar, I think of what I have missed in my life every time I blink. The Train was traveling East, it stayed light until after 10 PM. I didn't think about what I missed until you brought it up. Now I need to take the train again, sleep in the day time and stay up all night, Thanks Mar. Wait, I'm afraid of the dark, the hell with that.....................Bill

P.S. stay in your seat and no questions until after the show is over.
pnwchef
Re:Train From Vancouver, BC to Toronto, Then NYC and Boston 2012/07/11 11:15:29 (permalink)
Friday morning, time to leave NYC, we are taking a train to Boston from Penn Station. Penn Station is fun in the morning, us three walking in, 300,000 people walking out. I grabbed Mollie, move to the left, serpentine, duck, move to the right. After a short wait in the station they called out our train, I found four empty seats with a table between them. The train also had wifi all the way to Boston, nice perk. The train was great, clean, snack counter with coffee, beer, snacks, beer, hot food and beer. We only had 3 stops between NYC and Boston, this was the express train, 3 1/2 hrs, nice way to travel, my impression of train travel has changed on this trip, what a pleasure. The train pulled into South station in Boston, we went to our hotel and checked in. This was the view from our room at Motel 1 1/2.

My wife said, aren't we staying at the Hotel Mr "Joerogo" recommended, I explained to my wife that, Mr Joerogo stays at the best hotels and is a very classy man. She said, I want to stay where Mr Joerogo stays. We are now off to the Marriott Long Wharf Hotel Recommended by Mr Joerogo. WOW, we walked into the Hotel, what a location, what a view, knowing Mr Joerogo sure does make me look good. This is the view from our room and the morning buffet, that my wife loved.

Sun rise from my window

The breakfast buffet

Poached egg on real home made Corned beef hash

Eggs to order and omelet and waffle bar. the eggs were a bit brown, but they still had loose yoke in the ctr so it was ok, we did some over easy training in the morning, they love when I do this.

the fresh fruit was wonderful

The also had bread pudding, french toast and pan cakes.
pastry and donuts

Breads and fried fruit, I guess for the oatmeal, I could eat oatmeal at home

The Marriott hotel is a great hotel in a great location on Long Wharf near everything. Thank you Joerogo for recommending this hotel to us.

A big thanks to the Management and front desk for all they did to help us during our stay. Thanks to the breakfast waiters, you took care of us great.

post edited by pnwchef - 2012/07/14 09:16:25
kland01s
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 2835
Re:Train From Vancouver, BC to Toronto, Then NYC and Boston 2012/07/11 12:23:09 (permalink)
That's quite the breakfast buffet but then I imagine it's a few dollars more than your non-Joerogo approved hotel!
Page: < 1234 > Showing page 2 of 4
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1