The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider

Travel Channel-Hot Dog Special

emsmom

• Total Posts: 955
Travel Channel-Hot Dog Special Wed, 08/4/04 9:11 AM (permalink)
Did anyone see the special on the Travel Channel last night about some of the famous hot dog places. They featured Nu-Way in Georgia,Papaya King in NYC, Teds in Buffalo, Ny. Pinks in California and Rutts in NJ. It was interesting-especially watching the rippers being deep fried at Rutts.

jellybear

• Total Posts: 1135
    RE: Travel Channel-Hot Dog Special Wed, 08/4/04 9:32 AM (permalink)
    I saw it and cringed when I watched that guy pluck those dawgs out of that hot oil and stuff them in a bun.Let em rip!

howard8

• Total Posts: 355
      RE: Travel Channel-Hot Dog Special Wed, 08/4/04 12:11 PM (permalink)
      I saw most of the show in between my usual channel surfing. Teds looked like a good one. The hot dogs seemed large and the special hot sauce seemed to be a hit. The show was making me hunger for John's Jersey hot dog tour.

cowboy bob 2

• Total Posts: 101
        RE: Travel Channel-Hot Dog Special Wed, 09/1/04 7:22 AM (permalink)
        I tape every Hot Dog related show, and caught one last night on food channel that showing them building HD carts at all american in Florida. Only got half of it. I was on the phone when it came on. I think they are going to repeat this episode over labor day wkend.

Later Cowboy Bob 2

Kristi S.

• Total Posts: 712
          RE: Travel Channel-Hot Dog Special Wed, 09/1/04 8:58 AM (permalink)
          quote:
          Originally posted by emsmom

Did anyone see the special on the Travel Channel last night about some of the famous hot dog places. They featured Nu-Way in Georgia,Papaya King in NYC, Teds in Buffalo, Ny. Pinks in California and Rutts in NJ.

No Yoccos?

ChiliDog

• Total Posts: 126
            RE: Travel Channel-Hot Dog Special Wed, 09/1/04 12:19 PM (permalink)
            cowboy bob 2,
            Welcome to Roadfood, I too am trying to amass a video collection of Hot Dog related shows, and I too wasn’t quick enough with the VCR last night. So I went to the Food Network’s web-site, to check out their program listings, and found out that last night’s episode of “Unwrapped” (Vending Machines - #CW1B29) is not scheduled to be aired through September 14th. I’ll try to let you know if I spot it in the future.
            In the mean time, have you caught these shows? On The Food Network other episodes of “Unwrapped” include “Hot Dogs” (episode #CW1A19) and “Drive-Ins” (episode #CW1B04). On the Travel Channel, there’s a series called “Food Crazy” and the “Hot Dog Heavens” episode, the very program on which this thread is based, will be airing again on September 28th. And then of course there’s the PBS special “A Hot Dog Program” available on VHS. And while we're at it, are there any programs you've spotted that I don't list here?

cowboy bob 2

RE: Travel Channel-Hot Dog Special Wed, 09/1/04 4:37 PM (permalink)
              No but I am taping Chili shows too. I found a dynamite chile. I have been looking for months. If you have a cart, you are not leagly able to make it a home. So Ive been looking around, I found a place locally but they sell it 10lbs frozen. I recently parked my cart and took a job with a Nationally known Co. and found where they get their chili. After 2 days of working for them, I was robbed by two perps. At knifepoint, I was pissed to say the least. Not hurt. The co. pulled their cart. Life goes on. Iam back to my set up. With a regular dog, a 1/4 lb er. and a Sausage. Now a 2.00 bowl of chili. I am trying to build a location.

Cowboy Bob 2

cowboy bob 2

RE: Travel Channel-Hot Dog Special Thu, 09/2/04 7:01 AM (permalink)
                Last night on food channel they had a program on how to make corn dogs from start to finish. I taped this
                Cowboy Bob 2

ChiliDog

• Total Posts: 126
                  RE: Travel Channel-Hot Dog Special Thu, 09/2/04 11:44 AM (permalink)
                  Yeah, getting robbed is fun aint it.

I have to admit that I'm a bit obsessed with the Food Network. Last night's episode of "Good Eats" (The Man Food Show) was of course a re-run and I've already had the opportunity to try out the recipe. The batter seemed a bit thin but tastes great. The first time I tried it, I ended up having to go back and make a second batch. I’m sure you’ll enjoy.

emsmom

RE: Travel Channel-Hot Dog Special Wed, 09/29/04 11:45 AM (permalink)
                    Those specials were on the Travel Channel again last night. I noticed that he plucked them right out of the hot oil and put them in a bun. He also put the uncooked weiners down in the oil with his bare hands and then picked up the hog dog buns in the next movement
                    quote:
                    Originally posted by jellybear

I saw it and cringed when I watched that guy pluck those dawgs out of that hot oil and stuff them in a bun.Let em rip!

Nemis

• Total Posts: 186
                      RE: Travel Channel-Hot Dog Special Wed, 09/29/04 12:18 PM (permalink)
                      What's with the red food coloring in the dogs?? "Candy Apple RED hotdogs" I'll try it but i have to tell ya those didn't look too appitizing. I'll stick to the Vienna beef dogs from Chicago

emsmom

RE: Travel Channel-Hot Dog Special Wed, 09/29/04 1:01 PM (permalink)
                        I noticed those RED hot dogs too. I've never had a hot dog that red.
                        But it seems to be the going thing at the Nu-Way. Can Ort or someone else from Georgia comment on this?

speechpeach

• Total Posts: 239
                          RE: Travel Channel-Hot Dog Special Wed, 09/29/04 7:24 PM (permalink)
                          Red dogs are usually thought of as the low life of hot dogs, the kind that you crave with chili when you are into a main junk food mode..at least that is how i was taught here in Georgia.

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                            • No New Messages
                            • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                            • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                            • Locked w/ New Messages
                            • Locked w/o New Messages
                            • Read Message
                            • Post New Thread
                            • Reply to message
                            • Post New Poll
                            • Submit Vote
                            • Post reward post
                            • Delete my own posts
                            • Delete my own threads
                            • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                            What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com