Travel Channel's "Best Sandwiches in America" starts this week

Author
Foodbme
Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 10328
2012/06/04 20:08:06 (permalink)

Travel Channel's "Best Sandwiches in America" starts this week

That Food Vacuum Cleaner, Adam Richman, debuts a new show on The Travel Channel Wednesday to identify the nation's best sandwiches. All the old standards will be on - Primanti's, Al's Italian Beef, Katz, etc plus some new ones. NO Hot Dogs Or Burgers! YIPPEE!
Here's the line up:
The full list of sandwiches featured in the show's 11-episode first season include:
·         Austin, Texas (The Noble Pig) – Seared Beef Tongue with Smoked Green Onions
·         Baltimore (Faidley Seafood) – Crab Cake Sandwich
·         Chapel Hill, N.C. (Time-Out Restaurant) – Chicken Cheddar Biscuit
·         Chicago (The Fifty/50) – The 4-Courser Sandwich
·         Chicago (Al’s Italian Beef) – Al’s Italian Beef
·         Detroit (Slow’s Bar-BQ) – The Yardbird
·         Driftwood, Texas (The Salt Lick) – Sliced Beef Brisket Sandwich
·         Green Bay, Wis. (Kroll’s) – Prime Rib Sandwich
·         Los Angeles (JR’s BBQ) – Pulled Pork Sandwich
·         Minneapolis (Tilia) – Fish Taco Torta
·         Naples, Maine (The Galley Restaurant & Pub) – Zesty Lemon Lobster Roll
·         Nashville, Tenn. (Mitchell’s Delicatessen) – Asian Flank Steak Sandwich
·         New Haven, Conn. (Book Trader Café) – A Tale of Two Turkeys
·         New Orleans (Domilise’s Po-Boy and Bar) – Shrimp Po Boy
·         New York (Katz’s Deli) – Corned Beef & Pastrami Sandwich
·         Pittsburgh (Primanti Brothers) – Cap & Egg Sandwich
·         Philadelphia (DiNic’s) – Roast Pork Sandwich
·         Phoenix (Los Reyes de la Torta) – Torta Del Ray
·         Portland, Ore. (Big Ass Sandwiches) – Big Ass Roast Beef Sandwich
·         Portland, Ore. (Bunk Sandwiches) – Pork Belly Cubano
·         Portsmouth, N.H. (Jumpin’ Jay’s Fish Cafe) – Crab Grilled Cheese
·         Richmond, Va. (Blacksheep) – The CSS Virginia
·         St. Louis (Crown Candy Kitchen) – Heart-Stopping BLT
·         San Diego (Phil’s BBQ) – El Toro
·         San Francisco (Wexler’s) – “Pulled” Lamb Sandwich
·         Savannah, Ga. (Zunzi’s) – The Chicken Conquistador
·         Seattle (Salumi) – The Oxtail Sandwich
·         Tampa, Fla. (Aguila Sandwich Shop) – Media Noche
·         Tampa, Fla. (Skipper’s Smokehouse) – Grouper Reuben
·         Washington (W Hotel) – Chicken Club Sandwich
post edited by Foodbme - 2012/06/04 20:10:43

20 Replies Related Threads

trzhotel
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 145
    Re:Travel Channel's "Best Sandwiches in America" starts this week 2012/06/04 22:19:58 (permalink)
    pass.
    mr chips
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4727
    Re:Travel Channel's "Best Sandwiches in America" starts this week 2012/06/04 22:58:32 (permalink)
    Looks like a show I will like. i've always thought the best parts of his shows were his visits to restaurants and the cooks in them that were not part of the challenge.
    post edited by mr chips - 2012/06/07 02:06:59
    harriet1954
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1165
    Re:Travel Channel's "Best Sandwiches in America" starts this week 2012/06/05 08:44:56 (permalink)
    Unfortunately, I don't get the Travel Channel, but I will vouch for DiNic's in Philadelphia! Oh, and my daughter has been to Slow's in Detroit, but I don't think she had that sandwich.
    post edited by harriet1954 - 2012/06/05 08:46:05
    billyboy
    • Total Posts : 2442
    Re:Travel Channel's "Best Sandwiches in America" starts this week 2012/06/05 09:08:16 (permalink)
    I'm with you, Mr. Chips.  Sounds interesting though I do wonder if it will be a re-hash of clips from previous MvF episodes.  Travel Channel seem to do that a lot when making "new" shows.
    wanderingjew
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 7911
    Re:Travel Channel's "Best Sandwiches in America" starts this week 2012/06/05 09:36:13 (permalink)
    Like I said before

I think that Adam Richman is everything that roadfood isn't... which is basically why I completely ignore shows like Man vs Food and Diners Drive Ins and Dives...

I've yet to see Adam down Iowa Chops or Boston Cod Cakes and beans  because neither  would look that appealing to the camera.

If you're into "sexy food" then go for it ....
    billyboy
    Re:Travel Channel's "Best Sandwiches in America" starts this week 2012/06/05 09:56:48 (permalink)
    WJ, I can see how it would be easy to dismiss DDD and MvF what with all of the bling, "that's SOOO money!" and goofing around they do, however they do stop in at some legitimate spots.  

Richman has made his way to El Tepayac and Philippe's in Los Angeles and he loved the Ferdi Special at Mother's in NOLA as well as the Sicilian slices at L & B Spumoni Gardens and Brennan & Carr in Brooklyn.  He has also chowed down on pasties, coneys, loco moco and other "non-trendy" foods.  

I saw a DDD episode where Guy was eating cabbage burgers and he has definitely eaten his share of Jewish deli food which is far from being "sexy".  I guess what I'm saying is don't dismiss them entirely as they do get it right sometimes.  
    wanderingjew
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 7911
    Re:Travel Channel's "Best Sandwiches in America" starts this week 2012/06/05 10:22:08 (permalink)
    Billyboy

I wasn't  referring to trendy- just stuff that looks good in front of a camera-  Jewish Deli- no matter how outdated and irrelevant it is (I had to throw that in there to yank Bruce Bilmes' chain) is actually quite "sexy" so are Cheese Steaks, Fried Chicken, BBQ etc.... on the other hand I can't picture either of them chowing down on smoked salmon or broiled scrod or hotdish, although I'll admit- the cabbage burgers surprise me.

I always thought the older food network shows The Best Of, Food Finds and as much as I find her annoying, Rachel Ray's $40 a Day actually captured the true essence of Roadfood.
    billyboy
    Re:Travel Channel's "Best Sandwiches in America" starts this week 2012/06/05 10:48:04 (permalink)
    I hear ya, WJ!  I also really loved those older shows as they were more about the food and the people who made it and now it seems to be more about the host and how wacky he/she can be, how many snappy one-liners/zingers can be said, thus creating a brand.  I always liked Rachael Ray though I didn't like how she would consistently leave a lousy tip on $40 A Day!
    kland01s
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 2835
    Re:Travel Channel's "Best Sandwiches in America" starts this week 2012/06/05 11:28:07 (permalink)
    Being a native of the Chicago area, I can see the Italian beef being representative but the other one? I never heard of the place so no clue how that came to be a choice. I looked it up and it's a fairly new ( 2 yrs) trendy bar in a yuppie part of town. How is that classic?
    tsores
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 655
    Re:Travel Channel's "Best Sandwiches in America" starts this week 2012/06/05 11:43:46 (permalink)
    Sounds like a rehash of known material.  At least DDD seeks out the under publicized.  I will also pass on this one. 
    billyboy
    Re:Travel Channel's "Best Sandwiches in America" starts this week 2012/06/05 12:19:52 (permalink)
    kland01s, not sure Richman's new show is going specifically for "classic" but for what he (or the producers/creative team) think may be the "best" in that region.  I never really cared much for the term "best" as it is such a subjective thing and is rarely agreed upon by more than two people at a time.  Put 10 Roadfooders in a room and ask them, "What is the best sandwich in America?" and you'd probably get 10 different answers.  I figure if the show informs me about places I haven't heard of yet and the sandwiches seem appealing to me then I'll probably keep tuning in.

Glenn1234
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 576
    Re:Travel Channel's "Best Sandwiches in America" starts this week 2012/06/05 15:42:37 (permalink)
    wanderingjew
    Like I said before
    I think that Adam Richman is everything that roadfood isn't... which is basically why I completely ignore shows like Man vs Food and Diners Drive Ins and Dives...
    I've yet to see Adam down Iowa Chops or Boston Cod Cakes and beans  because neither  would look that appealing to the camera. 

WJ -    

If you are ignoring those shows, then of course you would miss them eating things like cod cakes.   They go to some legitimately good Roadfood places that many Roadfooders here enjoy.   They even had a decent length segment at the Maine Diner showing how they make their cod cakes! 
    Yes, the "eating competition" part that Adam Richman does is silly, but that does not negate the other legitimate places and foods that Richman and Fieri cover in many of their shows.   Sure, there are a few duds .... but those two programs show more Roadfood places than most other programs. 

Glenn

post edited by Glenn1234 - 2012/06/05 15:50:49
    Dr. L.
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 35
    Re:Travel Channel's "Best Sandwiches in America" starts this week 2012/06/06 01:25:12 (permalink)
    Rayray?  No.  Not even "back in the day" 
    secret11
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 2
    Re:Travel Channel's "Best Sandwiches in America" starts this week 2012/06/06 08:37:44 (permalink)
    Looks like out takes from MVF. I spent a week in TX in May & Salt Like was the bigest disappointment of the wholr trip.
    jimBoSF
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 14
    Re:Travel Channel's "Best Sandwiches in America" starts this week 2012/07/12 17:33:42 (permalink)
    can't front on cod cakes.
    CCinNJ
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 7778
    Re:Travel Channel's "Best Sandwiches in America" starts this week 2012/07/12 19:39:19 (permalink)
    The fact that the oxtail sandwich did not advance simply because of the Batali name...makes it worth watching. Guy Fieri would have buckled under the pressure.

That and the new haircut makes Adam look much better.
    gregsgoatfarm
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 57
    Re:Travel Channel's "Best Sandwiches in America" starts this week 2012/07/15 07:31:09 (permalink)
    Too bad they couldn't find even one representative Breaded Pork Tenderloin sandwich. Pretty much killed it for me.
    QFan
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 643
    Re:Travel Channel's "Best Sandwiches in America" starts this week 2012/07/15 11:45:21 (permalink)
    Can't imagine why the TV show list, or any of the posters, didn't mentioned Cuban sandwiches in Miami and/or Tampa!!!
    QFan
    Bonita Springs, FL
    post edited by QFan - 2012/07/16 08:21:46
    MetroplexJim
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4220
    Re:Travel Channel's "Best Sandwiches in America" starts this week 2012/07/15 13:35:12 (permalink)
    Two comments:

1)  I like Adam Richman.  He's a good kid with whom I'd enjoy sharing a beer & brat lunch.  That said, he's hardly a "food expert".  Recently, he did a "judge" gig on Iron Chef in which he revealed himself, clearly, to be out of his depth in that he seemed to have been totally unfamiliar with haute cuisine.  I'll give him credit: he loved it!  As we say here in Texas, "Bless his heart!".

2)  Primanti Bros.  Even though I was born & raised near the Mighty Burgh (when it still was "the smokey city") my first Primanti sandwich was purchased for me by my eldest as he attended Carnegie-Mellon.  I always have and always will like my fries & slaw "on the side", thank you.  Bless their hearts, too! 

3 Olives
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 101
    Re:Travel Channel's "Best Sandwiches in America" starts this week 2012/07/15 14:40:33 (permalink)
    DDD has some really good roadfood.
    How can "Best Sandwiches........" have only a Los Angeles restaurant representing pulled pork?
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1