Helpful ReplyTraveling Dawg Cart

Author
RoadDawg59
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 4
2013/03/06 08:47:31 (permalink)

Traveling Dawg Cart

Hello everyone:  First time poster here.  Thanks for listening.
I want to travel State to State for festivals, motorcycle rallys, etc. with my Dawg Cart.  Am assuming I would need a special event license for each festival, will I also need a license in each State? Am new to the business, so any help you could offer would sure be appreciated.
Thank you. 
brickboo
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 330
Re:Traveling Dawg Cart 2013/03/06 15:34:05 (permalink) ☄ Helpful
It will take quite a bit of time and travel to apply for a license in each state, unless it's possible to do it through the mail. Also, I'm sure that each Health Department will want to see your cart before you acquire a permit from them.

I hate to be so negative on your idea but how many states do you want to work in.
kennyb
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 400
Re:Traveling Dawg Cart 2013/03/06 17:08:48 (permalink) ☄ Helpful
here in Kansas you get a state license. but you can do 7 events a year unlicensed. in Missouri, they don't have a state license. we pay a license fee for most shows in each county/city. they each have thier own inspectors.
RoadDawg59
Junior Burger
Re:Traveling Dawg Cart 2013/03/14 21:35:11 (permalink)
Am thinking Florida, Tennessee, Denver, CO; Milwaukee, WI, and Northern Minnesota for now. I will be catering to the motorcycling community and travelers. I will be towing the hot dog cart behind my motorcycle.  Am guessing mega-franchises, like McDonalds, Wendys, etec.,  must have a way to get licensed in all fifty States with going through each individual State but am probably wrong...
Foodbme
Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 10259
Re:Traveling Dawg Cart 2013/03/15 02:35:30 (permalink) ☄ Helpful
RoadDawg59

Am thinking Florida, Tennessee, Denver, CO; Milwaukee, WI, and Northern Minnesota for now. I will be catering to the motorcycling community and travelers. I will be towing the hot dog cart behind my motorcycle.  Am guessing mega-franchises, like McDonalds, Wendys, etec.,  must have a way to get licensed in all fifty States with going through each individual State but am probably wrong...

You are correct sir! You are wrong.
They have to apply locally just like everyone else.
There's no such thing as one place to get licensed in all 50 states.
It's in the domain of a local money maker for all the local government entities!
djdawg
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 439
Re:Traveling Dawg Cart 2013/03/17 17:50:38 (permalink)
It honestly sounds like a logistical, financial and health department nightmare to me.  You will need to get approved by every county health dept you work in (could range from a few hundred dollars to $1,500 +), get a commissary for every county you work in (unless your cart qualifies as one....and I know counties have different regs on this) get a city license in every city you will work in....and then I'm not sure about a permit or license for the event itself.  In my area, once you're approved by the HD, you can work at any event and you don't need additional permits but your mileage may vary.
Or....if your event people are up for it...you could do it down and dirty.  Just set up and if you get visited you might get fined but it's been done...
post edited by djdawg - 2013/03/17 17:51:48
jcheese
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 759
Re:Traveling Dawg Cart 2013/03/17 18:15:36 (permalink) ☄ Helpful
Where I live, most events have a form you fill out if you don't have a state license.
The inspector is on site and approves you or does not.
brickboo
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 330
Re:Traveling Dawg Cart 2013/03/18 17:17:12 (permalink) ☄ Helpful
Here it is the Colorado State Health Department, not the Mesa County HD, not Garfield County HD etc.

With a Colorado HD permit, I was told I can work anywhere in the State. If I decide to go do a festival in another county, I will check to make sure.
post edited by brickboo - 2013/03/18 20:15:46
hella good tacos
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 120
Re:Traveling Dawg Cart 2013/03/19 22:35:18 (permalink) ☄ Helpful
RoadDawg59

most states and cities offer temporary licensing for short events.  Contact the places you plan on stopping ahead of time to confirm.

I have had some luck in more rural places here in maine that don't ask for any extra city permits for one or two day festivals and just accept my state license, larger cities want 20-60$ for temp licenses.  Most events have some sort of contact list for you to reach out to the local authorities.

good luck
josh
RoadDawg59
Junior Burger
Re:Traveling Dawg Cart 2013/03/29 22:46:09 (permalink)
Thanks All.  My passion is riding my motorcycle. (I rode to South America and back). Secondly I enjoy making people happy, and last but not least, I love to cook. Being from Milwaukee, sausages are King.  My plan is to literally "live to ride and ride to live" selling my sausages.  Following the good weather North in the spring and through the summer, then rolling back south come about September through April or May.  I enjoy living on the road, its where my heart lies. So am thinking if I can make Johnnys Road Dawgs work, I will be doing everything that I love. Riding, cookin, and making folks happy.  Maybe I will need to just get licensed in one State at a time... Thanks for your help and see you down the line!
us61blues
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 1
Re:Traveling Dawg Cart 2013/04/01 16:33:36 (permalink)
If you are doing festivals in other states....

My experiences have all been in TN,NC and VA.
each festival will provide a temp license and their own HD will visit you on site. 
fraz627
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 16
Re:Traveling Dawg Cart 2013/04/14 03:46:36 (permalink)
Sounds like a dream come true! How would you handle the logistics, storage ect.

SDJunkMan
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 21
Re:Traveling Dawg Cart 2013/04/14 13:36:20 (permalink)
I agree, logstics would be a nightmare with only a bike and dog cart.  For a decent sized event you would probably need more storage space than a cart would provide.  I work out o a 14' trailer, and run out of room at larger events. 

In South Dakota, to work a event, you need a temporary sales tax license which you will have to put up a bond for (up to $500).   A business license depends on the location, not all locations require them.  At the Sturgis Rally for example, you must have a city license, $650, and a Meade County license, $400 (only good for 2 weeks), and they are trying to raise the county license to $600.  You must be approved by the state HD, which usually will inspect onsite at large events,  I think the Health license runs about $35.  SD doesn't require a commissary if you can  prepare your foods, clean up, and hold your prouct in your cart/trailer.

Some of the vedors that come in from other states tell me that some states they work require everything on their cart or trailer to be NSF approved, I think Minnesota was one. 

Jeff
Black Hills of South Dakota
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1