The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

Travelled to Laos and Thailand, food report!

senor boogie woogie

• Total Posts: 225
Travelled to Laos and Thailand, food report! Fri, 01/16/04 6:41 AM (permalink)

Hola!

I am anm American living in China and I just returned from a 2 week trip to Thailand and Laos. The weather there was between 80-95 F and was sunny all the time.

I hate to say that I ate a lot of "tourist" food, but I did eat a few local things. The people there love to cook over an open flame, and they also do a lot of skewers, different meats and vegetables on a steel stick.If you love the taste of backyard BBQ, then you will like Thailand.

The food there was wonderful, especially Laos. Laos is one of the ten poorest nations on Earth, but the food was wonderful. I was in three cities in 6 days there and every meal was excellent.My theory is that Lao was once a French colony, and they simply taught the locals how to cook food. In Laos, you always get a hot baguette, any meal. They also make sandwiches out of them. There is nothing better than a baugette with melted butter, especaially at breakfast.

Vegetables and fruits were fresh and wonderful there too. Especially if you like tomatoes,pineapple, papaya, celery, onion, anything. Eating anything in Thai or Lao tasted like something made fresh in your mother's garden.

Also, in Laos, they sell one kind of beer only, this is called "Lao Beer". Lao beer is the best beer I have ever drank. Smooth and flavorful. If any of you are in one of those "10,000 beers from all over the world" type tap joint, find a Lao Beer. I drank the local rice wine called "Lao Lao", I would skip that personally.

I am ashamed to say it perhaps, but I had a cheeseburger in Vientiane Laos,(Xayou cafe) that was cooked perfectly with garlic mayonnaise, onion, romaine lettuce and the meat was perfectly cooked.

As I said, especailly in Lao, I have never met such impoverished people living in the mountains and backcountry. These people live off of livestock, hunting and cutting down trees. I am going to find a charity website that helps these people out.

I love Asia!

SENOR

i95

• Total Posts: 2500
    RE: Travelled to Laos and Thailand, food report! Fri, 01/16/04 8:48 AM (permalink)
    I love reading overseas Road Food reports! Gracias, Senor !

IansMom

• Total Posts: 394
      RE: Travelled to Laos and Thailand, food report! Fri, 01/16/04 8:49 AM (permalink)
      My sister just returned from Laos, Bangkok, Veitnam and Cambodia last night, I'll have to get a report from her later.

Sushi_Girl

• Total Posts: 228
        RE: Travelled to Laos and Thailand, food report! Fri, 01/16/04 9:43 AM (permalink)
        I love Thai food, my father who is a vietnam vet used to tell me about all the girls he "dated" in bangkok and how good the food was. so when a restaurant opened in our town, Bahn Thai, we started going there regularly, the cooks would come out and ask how everything was, and recommend dishes they specialized in. I Like my thai food medium,not hot and not mild and not "thai" hot. I love all the spices, the curries, the chilis and how diverse every dish is. I always wash it down with thai iced tea it has coconut milk in it. When i moved to gainesville i freaked out because Bahn Thai opened its 2nd location there! coincidence? i think not. My favorite thing in the place is the wall of pictures where all the regulars get thier pictures taken and smack in the middle is this huge picture of woody harrelson and micheal j fox stuffing thier face when they were filming Doc Hollywood.

i95

• Total Posts: 2500
          RE: Travelled to Laos and Thailand, food report! Fri, 01/16/04 10:36 AM (permalink)
          quote:
          Originally posted by Sushi_Girl

My favorite thing in the place is the wall of pictures where all the regulars get thier pictures taken and smack in the middle is this huge picture of woody harrelson and micheal j fox stuffing thier face when they were filming Doc Hollywood.

Just a brief hijacking of this thread for all to remember the famous "Doc Hollywood" scene of nubile actress Julie Warner emerging nude from a lake swim in front of a dropped-jaw Michael J. Fox.

That's it. Please go back to the Thai food discussion alredy in progress. Thank you.

Lone Star

• Total Posts: 1730
            RE: Travelled to Laos and Thailand, food report! Fri, 01/16/04 10:44 AM (permalink)
            Thank you for sharing your experience with us senor! I don't think you should apologize for having a burger there, I am of the mind that having a burger anywhere you go is a good way to compare lots of different things.

Will definitely check out the Laos beer. Guess it's a good thing it tastes good being the only beer sold.

GordonW

• Total Posts: 924
              RE: Travelled to Laos and Thailand, food report! Fri, 01/16/04 10:45 AM (permalink)
              A great experience was eating (with care) at the food stalls along the Mekong River in Vientiane. Especially at sunset -- sipping a beer and watching the sun go down across the Mekong. And one of the best French-style pizzas I ever had was at a restaurant at the fountain plaza in Vientiane. Run by a French guy and his Lao wife. Lao coffee also is good -- locally grown beans, prepared French style.

Richard Brooks Alba

• Total Posts: 93
                RE: Travelled to Laos and Thailand, food report! Mon, 01/10/05 7:29 PM (permalink)
                quote:
                Originally posted by GordonW

A great experience was eating (with care) at the food stalls along the Mekong River in Vientiane. Especially at sunset -- sipping a beer and watching the sun go down across the Mekong. And one of the best French-style pizzas I ever had was at a restaurant at the fountain plaza in Vientiane. Run by a French guy and his Lao wife. Lao coffee also is good -- locally grown beans, prepared French style.

Now I'm sorry that I didn't cross that river when I came to it....

Of all things, I found a very serviceable German joint in Nong Khai in 2003 that served echt Deutsches Essen [including imported beer & mustard] run by a German fellow & his Thai partner.

(It seemed to have been kismet that we encountered the place at all - my travel pal/host asked me to pick a place for dinner. She had been in the country for some time, and only asked that I pick something that wasn't Thai - so, as a joke, I suggested what I thought would be the least-likely cuisine to turn up in this Mekong town. She was facing the river as I rotated my head about 45 degree to notice a rainbow flag in a window - and then the words "Tasadej Cafe" [& maybe a German flag, too] above the window - down the street behind her. We stepped into the place and I immediately knew I had to try something, even if only a beer. When the owner said he made the best fries['pommes frites'] in town, I was hooked. We had some tasty beverages [a number of beers, a Cuba Libre, a boatload of lemonades {'naam manao' - hers w/o salt}] and I indulged in a 'porkburger'* while she had some sort of 'Schinken' [ham] with Hollandaise on top. It was really an enchanting surprise after a day of running around looking for souvenirs & taking care of her visa renewal [that she crossed into Laos to do]. Ah, what a fond memory....)

I saw a documentary on Lao coffee after I came back to the states, so I'm hoping to do some sampling the next time I'm in the region.
                Buen provecho,
                Richard
                Berkeley/SF, CA

*I have to say - most of my favorite burgers have been enjoyed somewhere besides the US. (I guess it may be the unorthodoxy of using meats besides plain beef - pork & lamb both have rocked my world, as has highly-seasoned [spicy/picoso!] beef in Mexico; just know that I'm not the "desperate for American food" type when I travel - I will occasionally sample something "American" abroad mostly for novelty's sake.

zataar

• Total Posts: 1440
                  RE: Travelled to Laos and Thailand, food report! Mon, 01/10/05 10:00 PM (permalink)
                  Senor, that was a great post! Where in China do you live and what's the food like there? My new favorite cookbook is on real sichuan food, I made several dishes last night. I'd love to hear more from any poster who has been to Asia, China and Southeast Asia. The street food sounds wonderful. I'd try a burger in Laos, I think we all would. I'd love to hear more.

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                    • No New Messages
                    • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                    • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                    • Locked w/ New Messages
                    • Locked w/o New Messages
                    • Read Message
                    • Post New Thread
                    • Reply to message
                    • Post New Poll
                    • Submit Vote
                    • Post reward post
                    • Delete my own posts
                    • Delete my own threads
                    • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                    What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com