Tree Tavern Pizza-OUR FAVORITE

Author
JoColl
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 17
2007/03/17 18:06:24 (permalink)

Tree Tavern Pizza-OUR FAVORITE

My husband and I were married in 1964. We used to always buy Tree Tavern Pizza in NJ where we lived. We moved to FL in 1970. It is not carried in FL. Every time I think of a Tree Tavern Pizza my mouth waters. There are two reasons why it was our favorite. First they had loads of shredded mozzerealla cheese on top (most frozen pizzas have very little) but mostly because the sauce was mild and sweet. Not full of spice and oregano like all the others. I would love to see Tree Tavern stocked at Winn Dixie, Publix or Albertson's supermarkets down here in South Florida.

16 Replies Related Threads

UncleVic
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6025
    RE: Tree Tavern Pizza-OUR FAVORITE 2007/03/17 21:48:22 (permalink)
    Never heard of that brand...
    David_NYC
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 2164
    RE: Tree Tavern Pizza-OUR FAVORITE 2007/03/17 22:00:55 (permalink)
    A few people commented on Tree Tavern pizza in a recent thread:
    http://www.roadfood.com/Forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=17222

Tree Tavern is still sold (especially by ShopRite Supermarkets), and the present owner of the brand claims it is the original formulation:
    http://www.treetavernpizza.com
    Of course, after 50 years it is very hard to make something taste exactly the same. There have also been several manufacturing plant changes made.

Publix does seem to stock some northeast food favorites. Perhaps you might want to contact Mike Ryan at Provision Foods in Wanaque, NJ and see if you can get a game started.
    GCD1962
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 66
    RE: Tree Tavern Pizza-OUR FAVORITE 2007/03/17 23:20:53 (permalink)
    It was a favorite of ours here in CT also. It was the only decent frozen pizza. The company changed hands and they began to make the pizza like all the other frozen junk. Shortly after that (I'm guessing about 12 years or so ago)the brand disappeared entirely.
    Joisey
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 153
    RE: Tree Tavern Pizza-OUR FAVORITE 2007/03/19 09:24:09 (permalink)
    it's still here in NJ, but it is not the TT we remember & loved, as much as the co. claims it is. I echo those sentiments--it was a GREAT frozen pizza!
    Ashphalt
    • Total Posts : 1644
    RE: Tree Tavern Pizza-OUR FAVORITE 2007/03/19 09:42:27 (permalink)
    Reminds me that in the late 80s a couple I knew who were living the struggling student life in Manhattan went nuts for Tree Tavern for a couple of years. Of course, with a pie from the local shops pushing 20 bucks with a couple of toppings and Tree Taverns on sale at Key Food for two bucks a pop it was a no-brainer.

Funny thing is, after they both had jobs for a couple of years they wouldn't go near the things.
    outolunch
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 34
    RE: Tree Tavern Pizza-OUR FAVORITE 2007/03/19 09:55:32 (permalink)
    When I was a kid Tree Tavern pizza was our standard mom-and-dad's-night out-so-kids-home-with-the-babysitter meal. At the time I thought it was great, but then again I had almost no exposure to real pizza as a kid so this was an exotic treat.

Once I moved away from home as a young adult and expereienced real pizza I became disdainful of the frozen Tree Tavern pizza of my childhood. But now as I get older nostalgia is kicking in and I would love to taste it again for old time's sake.
    David_NYC
    RE: Tree Tavern Pizza-OUR FAVORITE 2007/03/19 11:56:11 (permalink)
    Ever since that Tree tavern discussion held on this board in September, 2005 I have been keeping a mental note of what people have been saying about Tree Tavern. Most people echo Joisey's sentiments that it is not as good as in the past. I only had Tree Tavern pizza a few times in the 70's and honestly can't remember anything about it. But every so often I get a craving for "comfort food", and Tree Tavern fits the bill for me, as do many of the other pizzas made in that same plant near a Pathmark supermarket and near a six lane Interstate highway that is a approach road to a fairly long suspension bridge.

The fact that so many people say that Tree Tavern is not the same as the old days really calls for a discussion about why that is so, and if it not the same, can people "tweak" the present offering to make it more like the old days? Now everyone here must think I believe all marketing people are pathological liars, but what kind of details about the old formulation were handed down to the present owners of the brand? Maybe the details were sketchy and the people testing the samples prepared by the contract manufacturer incorrectly declared it authentic. The other problem is that the cost of some of ingredients in the original formulation may have gone up so high as to preclude their use at present because the product would price itself out of the market. So, the marketing people stretch the meaning of the term "genuine".

Maybe the folks who really remember what Tree Tavern was like should state what years they first bought the product, and how they think today's product is lacking. Then we invite the management of Provision Foods to comment.

There may be a way for the old fans to tweak the product by adding extra cheese, etc. Perhaps some people have already experimented with that.
    doggydaddy
    • Total Posts : 1847
    RE: Tree Tavern Pizza-OUR FAVORITE 2007/03/19 12:05:48 (permalink)

I FOUND IT!!!! They still exist and I bought one. Using the above posted web address, I discovered that it is available at a nearby ShopRite. I have never been inside that store before, as there are others that are closer to me. I'm glad I checked it out, it is part of my belief that you should learn new things every day. I walked out with a whole duck that was marked down to $5.50!!!

You couldn't find a more basic package design and it may become lost among all the dozens of other brands in the freezer aisle. It cost $3.99. and I have a quandary. Should I eat it just as it is made and avoid adding other ingredients? I usually will doctor these things, and the package gives some suggestions for toppings. I suspect that I am answering my own question, but I will report back in a day or so.

Like many of you, this was the first frozen pizza that we ate. Hey, it was the first frozen pizza ever. Mom would send us to Granny's place, knowing that we were too picky to eat what she cooked. She would give her a Tree Tavern to make for us.

mark
    Joisey
    Cheeseburger
    RE: Tree Tavern Pizza-OUR FAVORITE 2007/03/19 12:13:03 (permalink)
    DD--eat it as is & let us know your opinion.

DavidNYC-the old tree tavern had a nice crisp crust, not too thick, not too thin. The sauce was a little peppery (been a while so trying to remember) & it had a lot of real shredded mozz. As the frozen pies go, it was pretty good & def the staple of many lunches growing up. I tried it again a few years back (the owner of TT had posted on here) & it was more like the mccain ellios than anything else.

Unless I hear otherwise, I'm sticking with Betzio's (the original Ellio's maker)
    David_NYC
    RE: Tree Tavern Pizza-OUR FAVORITE 2007/03/20 05:50:39 (permalink)
    Did Tree Tavern use mozzarella cheese or uncolored cheddar cheese back in the day? The ingredients label for Tree Tavern lists cheddar cheese at present, and has for the last few years. It does not appear to have any coloring added. Since most cheddar sold is colored, consumers may think current production uses mozzarella cheese.
    Joisey
    Cheeseburger
    RE: Tree Tavern Pizza-OUR FAVORITE 2007/03/20 12:16:36 (permalink)
    It used to be nice shredded mozz.
    doggydaddy
    • Total Posts : 1847
    RE: Tree Tavern Pizza-OUR FAVORITE 2007/03/20 18:12:39 (permalink)

Well, after eating this pie, I have to say that it is the best $3.99 frozen pizza on the market.
    To be honest, it was better than I expected. I only added some Italian sausage. There are no ingredients that you cannot recognize. No preservatives. The crust was crispy, the sauce was flavorful enough and yes, the cheese is -cheddar. You wouldn't notice this unless you read the package, it is very mild.

I was all prepared to post that memories are better than what we have now. Maybe this pie will bring back those memories. It still is better than what my Granny cooked.....

mark
    BFerdon
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 1
    RE: Tree Tavern Pizza-OUR FAVORITE 2008/10/30 19:43:32 (permalink)
    the owner of Tree Tavern Pizza also suggests that you coat the top of the pie lightly with some olive oil. He is a buddy of mine. When we have town picnics he supplies use with TT Pies and I spray the pies with olive oil part way thru the process. It adds a nice flavor. A new Tree Tavern restaurant will be open soon in Wanaque.

Join our Facebook group. "I grew up in Tree Tavern Pizza"

http://www.new.facebook.com/group.php?gid=30379959772

Enjoy
    leethebard
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6271
    RE: Tree Tavern Pizza-OUR FAVORITE 2008/10/30 20:25:55 (permalink)
    Perhaps our memories of Tree Tavern are laced with nostalgia...we too kept a tree tavern in the freezer for snacks...mom made her own pies or we bought from a pizzaria...tree taverns were ok cut up and eaten as snacks...but if the new pies use cheddar,they're lying about being the same as decades gone by!!!!
    CCinNJ
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 7778
    RE: Tree Tavern Pizza-OUR FAVORITE 2008/10/30 22:37:07 (permalink)
    My brother used to eat the TT pizza while it was still frozen. My Mom bought a freezer (with a lock) for the basement.
    Joisey
    Cheeseburger
    RE: Tree Tavern Pizza-OUR FAVORITE 2012/08/05 13:57:08 (permalink)
    I tried it again recently and found it has changed again.  It now appears to be (and tastes like) one of the refrigerated pizzas from the dairy section that was frozen.  def not the original. 
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1