Trenton Thunder Baseball Game

Author
wanderingjew
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 7686
2003/08/15 09:52:37 (permalink)

Trenton Thunder Baseball Game

I'm heading to Trenton New Jersey tommorow for a AA minor league baseball game. Since I will be in cheesesteak territory I plan to head to Hoagie Haven in Princeton NJ for lunch. Thank's to Cheesewit's advise, they apparently have good cheese steaks. Unfortunatly my friend's fiance does not eat cheesesteaks, however she has no trouble eating SUSHI. How Bizarre! I, on the other hand am looking forward to getting off my diet. I also heard of Trenton Pork Rolls. I've never had one and wonder if it's similar to the Philly roast pork hoagies. Anyway, I understand the ballpark serves a good Pork Roll Hoagie, so I know where I will be having dinner! I'll report on my findings when I return.

11 Replies Related Threads

CheeseWit
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1393
    RE: Trenton Thunder Baseball Game 2003/08/15 10:11:43 (permalink)
    Wandering: A Taylor Pork Roll sandwich is like a fried bologna or salami sandwich. Usually served on hamburger bun or as a side with eggs in place of bacon or sausage. I love 'em.
    Chumley
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 182
    RE: Trenton Thunder Baseball Game 2003/08/15 10:15:38 (permalink)
    Wandering,

If I remember correctly, Pork Roll is more of a deli-meat type of product -- something akin to bologna. The Philly pork roast hoagies are much, much better IMHO. However, your mileage may vary

There is decent but not mindblowing sushi in the area, you will be blocks away from some amazing Italian food (i.e., Trenton's famous Tomato Pies). I can also direct you to excellent Mexican food. If you're interested, just say so. Post here -- still don't have access to home email due to the power outage.

Best regards,

Chumley
    wanderingjew
    Sirloin
    RE: Trenton Thunder Baseball Game 2003/08/15 10:21:57 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Chumley

Wandering,

If I remember correctly, Pork Roll is more of a deli-meat type of product -- something akin to bologna. The Philly pork roast hoagies are much, much better IMHO. However, your mileage may vary

There is decent but not mindblowing sushi in the area, you will be blocks away from some amazing Italian food (i.e., Trenton's famous Tomato Pies). I can also direct you to excellent Mexican food. If you're interested, just say so. Post here -- still don't have access to home email due to the power outage.

Best regards,

Chumley

Hi Chumley,

I might be able to convince my friends to try the famous tomato pie. Spill the details!
    meowzart
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 773
    RE: Trenton Thunder Baseball Game 2003/08/15 10:50:33 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by CheeseWit

Wandering: A Taylor Pork Roll sandwich is like a fried bologna or salami sandwich. Usually served on hamburger bun or as a side with eggs in place of bacon or sausage. I love 'em.

Ahh....something I miss from my PA youth. I LOVE Taylor Pork Roll sandwiches. Now I am starving!!! And no pork roll for miles!! AARRGGHH!
    Chumley
    Cheeseburger
    RE: Trenton Thunder Baseball Game 2003/08/15 11:14:12 (permalink)
    Delorenzo's Tomato Pies, 530 Hudson St., Trenton. This is in a neighborhood in Trenton called Chambersburg. It's quite famous regionally for its italian food and especially tomato pies.

From the ballpark, follow signs onto Route 29 north and make a right at the light onto S. Warren Street. Make a right turn onto Ferry St. Follow Ferry St. to its end at Broad St, which is also Route 206 and one of the main thoroughfares in Trenton. Right on Broad to Hamilton and then left on Hamilton. Stay on Hamilton to Hudson and then make a right on Hudson.

Now I hate to tell you this but I saw a highway sign on 29 last night that said that parts of Hamilton Ave. will be closed tomorrow (8/16). I live across the river and don't know the area well enough to route you around this but I will tell you that your perseverence will be well rewarded.

If you're coming from Princeton/Hoagie Haven, you will be on Nassau Street which is Route 29. That will take you right into 206 South which will eventually wind it's way down to the part of Trenton you want to be in. Be careful, though, as you will be going through some rough parts of Trenton. Better to take Route 1 South from Princeton to Route 129 South. 129 will cross Hamilton Ave., where you will make a left turn onto Hamilton. Same caveat about Hamilton Ave. still applies.

I hope this isn't too confusing! A long glance at Mapquest ought to help. Enjoy the game and the food!

CheeseWit
    • Total Posts : 1393
    RE: Trenton Thunder Baseball Game 2003/08/15 11:20:57 (permalink)
    Check out www.porkrollexpress.com
    They ship anywhere.

quote:
    Originally posted by meowzart

quote:
    Originally posted by CheeseWit

Ahh....something I miss from my PA youth. I LOVE Taylor Pork Roll sandwiches. Now I am starving!!! And no pork roll for miles!! AARRGGHH!
    wanderingjew
    Sirloin
    RE: Trenton Thunder Baseball Game 2003/08/15 11:58:52 (permalink)
    Thanks Chumley,

Hopefully we be able decipher mapquest and wind our way through construction.
    Bruce Bilmes and Susan Boyle
    • Total Posts : 1350
    RE: Trenton Thunder Baseball Game 2003/08/15 21:24:53 (permalink)
    Bad news, wanderingjew. DeLorenzo's is closing for a 2 week vacation beginning tomorrow.
    Chumley
    Cheeseburger
    RE: Trenton Thunder Baseball Game 2003/08/17 16:46:32 (permalink)
    Doh!! Sorry, Wandering. Maybe some other time.
    wanderingjew
    Sirloin
    RE: Trenton Thunder Baseball Game 2003/08/18 09:20:26 (permalink)
    Returned from my Trenton trip yesterday. After having a breakfast of Jonnycakes at Jiggers Diner in East Greenwich RI which were fantastic as always, I proceeded with my road trip. Arrived in Princeton shortly after 12 noon. Too early to check into my hotel and wasn't supposed to meet up with my friends until 5pm. I attempted to go to hoagie haven for a cheesesteak and was extremely surprised and disappointed to find out they were closed for renovations, however two doors down I walked into George's Ribs and Roaster. They had cheesesteaks on their menu, so I thought I would give it a try and it was actually quite good. Great crusty bread, lot's of gooey cheese the right amount of oil, peppers, onions and mushrooms and yes...Ketchup! I love ketchup on my cheesesteaks. I thought it was just as good as Jim's and better than Pat's. Anyway, I met up with my friends at 5pm. The game started at 7, so we didn't have enough time to go to dinner. So, we did not go to DeLorenzo's which I understand was closed for vacation anyway. We had dinner at the ballpark. I had the pork roll hoagie which I never had before and thought was quite good. It kind of tasted like canadian bacon or breakfast ham with the consistency of fried bologna. It came with cheese, fried red peppers and onions. My friend had a roast beef sandwich and his fiancee had a salad. Unfortunately they were out of cheesesteaks that day because my friend and I were going to share one. The rest of the trip was uneventful, however I did get to stop at Violetta's Pizza in Merrick NY, the pizza I grew up with for 2 slices before heading back to Rhode Island. I also brought back a couple of Pizza Pies for the office.
    Chumley
    Cheeseburger
    RE: Trenton Thunder Baseball Game 2003/08/18 13:05:16 (permalink)
    Good save, Wandering! I actually prefer George's to Hoagie Haven but I seem to be in the minority in that opinion so I don't argue with the Hoagie Haven contingent. Glad things worked out for you.
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1