Trip Report- Chicago to Madison, WI

Author
saps
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1567
2005/10/25 14:12:46 (permalink)

Trip Report- Chicago to Madison, WI

Went to see Springsteen in Madison last weekend.

Stopped at a little bar in Marengo, IL off of Hwy. 20 near Rockford called The Spot. Great burger, I'd put in in my top ten- it's definitely a dive, but worth the 10 minute drive off of I-90 when headed to or from Wisconsin.

Went to Smoky's Club in Madison for dinner, allegedly home of the best steaks in Madison. Not quite. For $32.00, I expect more than grainy choice meat. Sauteed mushrooms were devoid of any flavor, but the hash browns, soup, and homemade salad dressing were very good.

5 Replies Related Threads

danimal15
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1092
    RE: Trip Report- Chicago to Madison, WI 2005/11/02 12:06:40 (permalink)
    That's too bad about the Madison steak place. Choice meat for $32? An outrage! Does anyone know of any other steak places in town?
    mayor al
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 15335
    RE: Trip Report- Chicago to Madison, WI 2005/11/02 12:19:51 (permalink)
    Thanks for the report on Smokey's. We altered our plans to visit it on our recent trip to avoid the publicized 'over-crowded' arrangements and Frankly to keep within our budget for the trip.

Not exactly in town, but we enjoyed an evening at a 'steak-roadhouse' on Lake Wisconsin, north of the city a couple of weeks ago. Hooker's Resort is not a plush, leather-padded executive Steak Serving place, for sure, But for one price-$18.95- You select your T-Bone, Ribeye, Sirloin, or Fillet from a glass case containing a bunch of possible choices, then you season it, and grill it yourself on a 10 ft or so grill (over charcoal). It offers very good Beef, large steaks, good potato and soup or salad and on weeknites, reasonable crowds at the grill. The Bar is a busy place but offers a wide selection of local and national brews too. Fridays, my family claims the Fish Fry is worth the ride, and Sunday Mornings free Bloody Mary's, and Sirloin Tips and eggs for $6.95 make a good wake-up meal in a beautiful lakeside setting. Live Music keeps the place jumpin' on the weekend evenings, but the Bar-room is seperated from the Dining room, so it is possible to enjoy your dinner without the blaring music destroying conversation.

Here's the Web-site--

http://www.explorewisconsin.com/hookersresort/index.asp
    ScreamingChicken
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5239
    RE: Trip Report- Chicago to Madison, WI 2005/11/04 11:15:41 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by danimal15

That's too bad about the Madison steak place. Choice meat for $32? An outrage! Does anyone know of any other steak places in town?
    I've had good steak at Delaney's. Fitzgerald's (Middleton) is another established restaurant and 2 of the newer places are Fitch's Chophouse & Spirits (http://www.fitchschophouse.com/) and George's Chop House (http://www.georgeschophouse.net. I can't personally vouch for them, however. The local grill-your-own place is a small chain (7 locations) called Prime Quarter (http://www.primequarter.com/).

Brad
    fairweather
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 1
    RE: Trip Report- Chicago to Madison, WI 2005/11/11 14:37:36 (permalink)
    Go to the Tornado Club. Best steaks in Madison. You won't be disappointed. I'd stay away from Fitch's.
    KingT
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 80
    RE: Trip Report- Chicago to Madison, WI 2005/11/28 02:57:20 (permalink)
    The tornado room in downtown madison is the best place for a steak in town, its pretty pain but thats why its oh so good.
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1