Trip Report Daytona, Ormond, St. Augustine

Author
ImtheMom
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 33
2006/04/05 22:36:10 (permalink)

Trip Report Daytona, Ormond, St. Augustine

Thanks to Gregg (wheregreggeats.com), Paul (Sundancer), Katie (ChezKatie), Rich (Bluemaxx), and signman for your various recommendations in other threads that I tracked down in my pre-trip research. Because of you, my sons and I were well-prepared and well-fed during Spring Break.

Dixie Crossroads, 1475 Garden Street, Titusville FL (321.268.5000) www.dixiecrossroads.com Yes, it’s a huge, famous, popular-with-the-tourists restaurant, but we loved it anyway. Got there early so no wait, huge line when we left. They specialize in wild ocean shrimp and it was excellent. We had the rock shrimp (broiled) and the Cape Canaveral white shrimp (fried), both excellent. The corn fritters (they’re not hush puppies) were excellent, but as Paul said they would ruin your appetite if you over-indulged since they serve them before the meal.

Brickyard Lounge, 747 W International Speedway Blvd, Daytona Beach FL 32114 (386.253.2270) www.daytonabrickyard.com Oh, wow, this was every bit as yummy and fun as Gregg and the other Roadfood recommendations indicated. Great looking bar and restaurant, and indeed an excellent hamburger. The superior quality of Brickyard was underscored in my mind when we ate at a “Johnny Rockets” later in the week and the comparison was not even close! I want to insert a clever “car beats rocket” joke here but it’s late and I can’t think of one.

Barnacle Bill’s, 14 Castillo Drive, St. Augustine FL 32084 (904.824.3663) www.barnaclebillsonline.com The docent at the Visitor Center told me that the locals eat their seafood here. We loved it. Boys had fried Gator Tail, they loved it. I had the shrimp combo of Original, Coconut and “Dat’l Do It” which is a spicy flavor made with the datil peppers. Yummy orange marmalade sauce for the coconut shrimp. Huge onion rings. Cole slaw, fries and hush puppies all delicious. It did seem curious that all the shrimp still had that black vein or intestine in it, which I find un-appetizing and was previously told it’s not supposed to be eaten, so I had to surgically treat each shrimp before eating.

Cuban Sandwich Shop (aka C. H. Sandwich Shop & Café) 722 Mason Avenue 32117, Daytona Beach FL (386.255.6655) I learned that I don’t like a classic Cuban sandwich, but you shouldn’t take my lack of enthusiasm as a “diss” of the version served here. Sometimes a “cold cut” sandwich leaves me cold, and the ham on this sandwich seemed unappealing, and the roast pork likewise unimpressive. The bread of the sandwich was fabulous. If I had ordered same thing with tuna or chicken I might have been happier. The current owner told me she is the third owner, and currently has the shop up for sale.

Dustin’s, Granada Boulevard, Ormond Beach, This barbecue restaurant was acceptable and ordinary. It’s got a very chain-looking ambience. The bbq chicken was smoky and tender but also a little dry. I like my barbecue swimming in sauce, which this was not. The only sauce served on the table was good, but it was thin and a little vinegar-y. Dan’s bbq baby back ribs were good. Ken’s bbq beef was good, sliced very thin and served without sauce. Entrees came with good but ordinary cole slaw, and bland garlic bread. The all-you-can-eat salad bar looked very bedraggled so we didn’t participate. I wouldn’t easily choose to eat at Dustin’s again, yet if someone tried to drag me in there I wouldn’t cling to the door frame to avoid it.

River Grille, 950 N US 1, Ormond Beach FL (386.615.2004) www.rivergrille.net The River Grille was excellent. My sons ordered an appetizer of Gator Bites, and they loved them. I had the evening special, a local fish called Corvina served as a firm white fillet that was excellent, the side fresh green beans were perfectly crisp, and the roasted red potatoes were yummy. Dan ordered jambalaya which he never ate before, and ended up being unenthusiastic about it, but he may not be a fair and accurate critic. Ken’s fried shrimp was excellent.

Peach Valley Café, Granada Boulevard at US A1A, Ormond Beach FL In a strip mall but excellent restaurant. Cinnamon French Toast a huge hit. A large sausage patty looked hand-formed with irregular edges and tasted great. Omelet was delicious, served with huge fluffy biscuits. Coffee served in over-size mugs. Beautiful ambience with sunny yellow walls and lovely art.

Zeno’s Boardwalk, Daytona Beach FL excellent handmade ice cream. I had butter pecan and coconut in a waffle cone, excellent!

Non-food stops included Universal Studios, Cape Canaveral and Kennedy Space Center, old St. Augustine, Daytona USA and Daytona Speedway, as well as some sun-n-sand days at the beach. Had a great time in Florida, I wish we were still there right now!

11 Replies Related Threads

signman
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1743
    RE: Trip Report Daytona, Ormond, St. Augustine 2006/04/05 23:29:34 (permalink)
    Great report Mom, thanks for giving back.
    mayor al
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 15175
    RE: Trip Report Daytona, Ormond, St. Augustine 2006/04/06 07:02:02 (permalink)

I wish everyone who does a roadtrip like this would give us the feedback that you have . Thank You.
    Tom-Fl
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 74
    RE: Trip Report Daytona, Ormond, St. Augustine 2006/04/06 08:20:46 (permalink)
    Yep,Dustin's is a small chain.

They bought a folded Fatboy's in Palm Bay,Fl.

They are trying to work in the Fatboy's,Woody's,Sonny's mold.

Tom
    Bluemaxx
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 465
    RE: Trip Report Daytona, Ormond, St. Augustine 2006/04/06 16:45:14 (permalink)
    GREAT REPORT, MOM!!! Glad we could have been of help. As "The Major" put it, I wish everyone could post replies like you did. On the other hand, I'm sure no one would get anything else done. Thanks for putting in the time for such a detailed report.

As luck would have it, I too am heading back to Daytona Beach this Sunday (4/9) for a real estate conference. Usually, I only head up there for the Rolex 24 Hour Race in early February but this time I am heading up for 3 nights and 4 days. I have yet to hit The Brickyard and can't wait to see how good their burgers really are!! Of course, I have to hit Krystal as well since we don't ahve any near us in south Florida. Krispy Kreme will also be on the list too. Any other "MUST GOs" and I am all ears!!
    Sundancer7
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 13473
    RE: Trip Report Daytona, Ormond, St. Augustine 2006/04/06 18:00:11 (permalink)
    Imthemom: I am glad you enjoyed Dixie Crossroads. In addition to their rock shrimp and fritters, I enjoyed the landscaping and ponds.

Their menu is huge but I did not have any problem ordering as I knew exactly what I wanted and that was those small lobster tasting sweet broiled shrimp. I will definately stop there again.

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN
    John A
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4295
    RE: Trip Report Daytona, Ormond, St. Augustine 2006/04/07 07:26:00 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by sonjaab

FYI.........Dustins is a offshoot of Sonny BBQ.
    Pretty sure the ex-owner on Sonnys or one of his family
    started it from some posts I have read here.............geo

That is correct. My SIL is a doctor, one of the original owners is a patient. They sold the Sonny's chain a number of years ago and started Dustins.

A couple of other places to try are www.daytonadogs.com, and www.boothsbowery.com. The first is self explanatory, the second wins the local "Best Of Wings" every year. The rest of their menu is just as good.

John
    John A
    Filet Mignon
    RE: Trip Report Daytona, Ormond, St. Augustine 2006/04/07 09:25:13 (permalink)
    Yep, I live about 5 minutes from them. I think the Dustins in Port Orange was the first. When it opened it was much better then now, do not know what happened? There is another Chain called Woody's in the Publix shopping center at Nova & Dunlawton, it's about the same as the other two.

John
    The Travelin Man
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3728
    RE: Trip Report Daytona, Ormond, St. Augustine 2006/04/07 11:48:09 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Sundancer7

Imthemom: I am glad you enjoyed Dixie Crossroads. In addition to their rock shrimp and fritters, I enjoyed the landscaping and ponds.

I don't know if this has changed, but during my last visit, the ponds were drained and the fish were gone. I think that they were doing some rennovations, and I am not sure if they have been completed yet. The fish viewing in the ponds was one of the things that helped pass the time until they called you for a table!
    John A
    Filet Mignon
    RE: Trip Report Daytona, Ormond, St. Augustine 2006/04/08 07:22:25 (permalink)
    sonjaab,

It's been so long since I hoisted anything in a bar that I cannot even remember when or where it was. Then again, at my age it could have been yesterday as I can remember stuff from years ago but not what I had for breakfast this morning.

John
    Jimeats
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3175
    RE: Trip Report Daytona, Ormond, St. Augustine 2006/04/08 07:51:20 (permalink)
    ImtheMom, Great report sounds like a wonderfull trip. Are you looking for another son for the next spring break? I'm a little older {well maybe alot} but I clean up nice and my table manners are impecable. Chow Jim
    mayor al
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 15175
    RE: Trip Report Daytona, Ormond, St. Augustine 2006/04/08 08:18:29 (permalink)

John A- You're not alone buddy! Try remembering grandkids names when they invade your place in a group!
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1