Trip Report- Ft Rucker Alabama & R F Dinner

Author
mayor al
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 15185
2007/08/23 15:17:35 (permalink)

Trip Report- Ft Rucker Alabama & R F Dinner

This will mesh with Don (Cajun King's) ongoing report on this forum also. We made a long weekend trip down to Southern Alabama with the Primary Purpose of attending the military ceremonies surrounding Janet's son Eric's graduation from the Warrent Officer Academy at Ft Rucker. In Addition we were able to meet with IQDIVA and her husband Paul, and ADJUDICATOR and his wife Rinda, as well as with our neighbor from here in Southern Indiana, Donald, CAJUN KING.

The trip down was uneventful. See Don's threads for photos as we have done the ride many times and don't take the camera out much on this ride. We left Sunday afternoon and after staying in Cullman, AL and eating the pretty good breakfast that the Day's Inn serves their guests (table Service off the menu in the cafe- included in the room charge) We made it to Ozark mid-day on Monday. OH... I did sneak thru a drive-thru at Jack-in-the-Box south of Nashville to snag half-dozen of the greasey little Tacos to keep me 'burping' for the rest of the ride. I love those nasty little devils as much as I do White Castle Sliders!

We attended the reception for the graduates Monday evening, and then Janet was able to pin on Eric's new Bars at the ceremony Tuesday morning. She was a very proud Mom doing that task. Then they cut the cake and fed the Troops !!

Eric had to leave shortly after the ceremonies to head for Aberdeen proving Ground in Maryland for his next duty station, So we waved as he drove off , then rested a bit and got ready to meet the Roadfood Friends for a nice dinner.

Being visitors to the area, we had to show ID's everytime we entered (or crossed) the Fort Rucker Post to get from Ozark to Daleville and back. We had just become used to the routine when we left the area!

At Mclin's Kitchetette we had a nice table in a roomy area that helped us relax and enjoy the company of our new friends.

Paul and Susan IQDIVA

Don, The Cajun King

Joe-Adjudicator and Rinda

We ordered some Crab Claws to munch on while we got organized for dinner. I must admit I don't care to mess around with little crabs, hammering and breaking them up to get little pieces of crabmeat just isn't fun for me. I love crabmeat...it's the beating and crushing that gets to me !! So it was with an "Oh well, What the hell!" thought in mind that I ordered these.

Well as the folks in attendance will tell you, I am a convert to this form of fried crab! They were great. Tastie little tidbits, easy to get the meat out of the claw, and fried and seasoned just right!! Thanks to my friends for introducing these little guys!!!

Dinner was outstanding. I would Recommend McLins to anyone who wants a great cross selection of fried seafood. Janet and I shared a Captains Platter. 4 whole Catfish, a bunch of Onion Rings and Hush-Puppies and F Fries, as well as a handful each of Scallops, Oysters and Shrimp. All in All, it was as much as the two of us could manage.

After Dinner, Donald delivered the Birthday Cake which was absolutely delicious. Light in texture and very chocolatey It did the trick bringing me into my 65th year. Joe was also celebrating his birthday...but since he is in his 20's it wasn't as critical as mine...

After talking for most of the evening we packed up our little CARE packages and headed back to the motel. The ladies bid each other farewell with promises to have a reunion when the group comes South in February.

Wed. Morning we headed north for the long day ride. We stopped at Durban's Peach Place and enjoyed a Peach Sundae just like the one in Don's Photo on his thread...only we had Peach-pecan ice Cream ! It was veery refreshing. We also stopped at one of the many Stuckey's still in operation along I-65. A box of Goo-Goo Clusters (Pecan variety) and some Pecan Logs and Pralines went into the cooler for use here in Hoosierland!

We had made arrangements for a lunch meeting with Poverty Pete South of Nashville. We got to the place he suggested, but he wasn't waiting

So I called him and he told us I had the name wrong...He had suggested the HenPeck Market at Exit 61 of I-65. So we stopped there. It was 103 plus in the mid-afternoon, so I didn't shut off the air in the truck and waited with the dogs while Janet went in and got us some take-out food. This place was a bus-stop on the April Roadfood tour. The food was outstanding. I had two toasted BLT's (loaded with crispy Bacon) Janet had a grilled flatbread chicken/cheese sandwich, and we got a couple of Chicken Fingers to feed the Scotties. In addition a side of Potato Salad, good bt a bit dry, and a large side of the Cornbread salad recommended by Poverty pete. It is unique...hard to describe, but very good. We have earmarked The HEN PECK MARKET as a good stopping place when running south on I-65 , thats for sure. Poverty Pete purchased our 'joint-venture' Powerball tickets that afternoon, and I am proud to say we won $107 last night. Since no-one hit the 250 million $$ prize we will re-invest another $20 in tickets in the next round to see if luck will grow for us.

Thanks to our new friends for making a good trip even better. I have a couple of airplane shots to send out to Joe and the guys, and we now have some real good ideas for the Mobile area meeting in February !!

16 Replies Related Threads

CajunKing
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6355
    RE: Trip Report- Ft Rucker Alabama & R F Dinner 2007/08/23 16:14:07 (permalink)
    I have passed by there several times and smiled each time Al.

Glad you, Janet & the scotties made it safely home.
    mayor al
    Fire Safety Admin
    RE: Trip Report- Ft Rucker Alabama & R F Dinner 2007/08/23 16:18:25 (permalink)

Hen-Peck Market...Boobie Bungalow... At 65, it all sounds the same to me !!!
    Sundancer7
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 13477
    RE: Trip Report- Ft Rucker Alabama & R F Dinner 2007/08/23 17:39:54 (permalink)
    very nice trip Al.

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN
    EdSails
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3902
    RE: Trip Report- Ft Rucker Alabama & R F Dinner 2007/08/23 18:13:09 (permalink)
    Al and Janet,
    Congrats to both of you and to Eric on his new Bars!
    A few years ago, at Wintzel's Oyster Bar in Fairhope, AL, I too became a convert to the delicious fried crab claw. They are indeed an exceptional way to enjoy those tasty morsels.
    Ed

PS---Angus sends his hellos to Demi and Duff!
    Adjudicator
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5065
    RE: Trip Report- Ft Rucker Alabama & R F Dinner 2007/08/23 19:57:39 (permalink)
    Ah HA!

So THIS is why you were in a hurry to leave the (South Alabama) area...

Davydd
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6328
    RE: Trip Report- Ft Rucker Alabama & R F Dinner 2007/08/23 20:56:32 (permalink)
    Come on, let's hear it for Eric one more time. Congratulations!

SassyGritsAL
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1089
    RE: Trip Report- Ft Rucker Alabama & R F Dinner 2007/08/24 11:36:41 (permalink)
    I am difinitely going to try the HenPeck Market my next trip toward Nashville. I went to Franklin, TN, last weekend with a friend to go shopping at Cool Springs. One the way back we stopped at one of my fav. restaurant Sarge's which is off exit 14 (I think).

If you ever stop at Sarge's be sure and get their rice which they are famous for. It's a mild type of dirty rice. I had their fried green tomatoes and they were awesome. Their steaks are very good too. The place was packed Sat. night with large groups and families, but since there were two of us we got seated about 10 minues after ariving. We we arrived (and left) there was a line out the doors.
    mayor al
    Fire Safety Admin
    RE: Trip Report- Ft Rucker Alabama & R F Dinner 2007/08/24 11:58:37 (permalink)
    Thanks Sassy, I saw several Highway Ads for Sarge's and wondered about it. I do recommend the HenPeck Market for some great "beyond the ordinary" sandwiches and desserts. If you look at Ellen's Nashville Bus tour thread she comments on the Cornbread Salad, as Poverty Pete did to us on the phone. I must admit I would get it again as a side dish. It was very good ! I-65 has been a bit of a drag from Louisville thru KY and TN for us the last few trips (J-o-B tacos were a high point on the way down this time!!) But now having HenPeck Marketclose to Exit 61 and Sarge's further South, then Gibson's in Decatur (hopefully better than Cajun King found it recently) we can reach the Peach Orchards without starving ! Add Dreamland and a few others and the road becomes paved with Rib-Bones !

For those who haven't been to HenPeck Market Get off at Exit 61 go WEST to the first light, Turn Right, about 1/2 mile to the first light and it sits on the N W corner of that intersection.

The February trip to Mobile is beginning to look like a real Roadfood Journey !!

P.S. Thank you for the Kudos, Davy... Janet was (and still is) bursting with pride at the achievement of her son. He really grew up when he decided on a career in the army. I met Janet as he was deciding what to do after high school. He chose 'Armor' mainly because the recruiter steered him that way, but he has made some very good choices since and now will be a depot administrator overseeing the rebuilding of combat equipment and gunnery electronics. The young man has his ducks in a row, that's for sure. He has 13 years in and is 30 years old and the future looks pretty damn good to him! (and it should!)
    iqdiva
    • Total Posts : 1491
    RE: Trip Report- Ft Rucker Alabama & R F Dinner 2007/08/24 12:43:08 (permalink)
    Al,what a WONDERFUL time Paul & I had with everyone ! We can't wait to see everyone in February...Many congratulations on Eric's graduation and new positon at Aberdeen.He looks to be an outstanding ( and handsome ! ) young gentleman ...I would be extremely proud if he were my son...
    Regarding the " Boobie Bungalow " photo...For the past 14 years,Paul & I have been driving by there ( and taking photos ourselves ) on our trips up north to Rochester,MN. It's hilarious !
    mayor al
    Fire Safety Admin
    RE: Trip Report- Ft Rucker Alabama & R F Dinner 2007/08/24 14:29:23 (permalink)
    We were pleasantly surprised to learn of Paul's talent for "Throwing His Voice". It was like pushing a button and hearing his voice change in pitch, volume,and location without any visible change on his part, and without losing a beat in the continuity of the phrase!! Here he is in the middle of one of his presentations !!! See you don't even see a quiver in his lip, yet the voice just carries on with the story he was telling!
    buffetbuster
    Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 10091
    RE: Trip Report- Ft Rucker Alabama & R F Dinner 2007/08/24 16:21:03 (permalink)
    Very jealous that you went to Henpeck Market. For me, it was the highlight of this past year's Roadfood bus tour. When my cousin and I are going to be back in Nashville in October, we plan on trying mostly new places. But a stop back at Henpeck Market will be a must!

Mr. Mayor-
    Janet looks understandably like the very proud mother. Congratulations to Eric!
    desertdog
    • Total Posts : 1946
    RE: Trip Report- Ft Rucker Alabama & R F Dinner 2007/08/24 18:50:39 (permalink)

Looks like a great trip, Al! It's always interesting to meet new people, especially if you "know" them from a forum first. I've had the pleasure of meeting Foodbme and, this past weekend, Ed Sails. Two great guys indeed. look forward to meeting up with many more roadfood folks in my future travels.

Congrats to Eric on his graduation. Warrant Officer, the best of both worlds!

DD
    Pwingsx
    • Total Posts : 2170
    RE: Trip Report- Ft Rucker Alabama & R F Dinner 2007/08/24 20:44:30 (permalink)
    Congrats to Janet's son. He looked very stern and solemn and every inch a military man. She must just burst with pride when she lays eyes on him.
    Poverty Pete
    • Total Posts : 2293
    RE: Trip Report- Ft Rucker Alabama & R F Dinner 2007/08/24 20:57:21 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by buffetbuster

Very jealous that you went to Henpeck Market. For me, it was the highlight of this past year's Roadfood bus tour. When my cousin and I are going to be back in Nashville in October, we plan on trying mostly new places. But a stop back at Henpeck Market will be a must!

October, eh? Let me know when you're coming. I'll try to rustle up a nice surprise or two for you.
    LegalLady
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 404
    RE: Trip Report- Ft Rucker Alabama & R F Dinner 2007/08/24 21:42:27 (permalink)
    Sounds like you had a very happy birthday, I Eric a wonderful graduation!

Congratulations to you all!!

The Judge
    buffetbuster
    Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 10091
    RE: Trip Report- Ft Rucker Alabama & R F Dinner 2007/08/25 00:01:10 (permalink)
    Poverty Pete-
    Count us in!!!
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1