Author
mayor al
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 15321
2007/06/17 13:39:22 (permalink)

Trip Report- Henderson,KY Blues Festival June 2007

TRIP REPORT - Henderson, Kentucky Blues and BBQ Festival
June 16 2007

This was a day-trip for us as Henderson is a little over one hundred miles downriver from our home near Louisville. The W.C. Handy Blues and BBQ Festival is an annual event that runs for two weekends and the week in between. The first weekend is the BBQ competition and then the Music runs most of the week and the second weekend. We decided to attend the second Saturday to enjoy some of the Blues groups and to meet with a couple of our Roadfood friends as well.

Heading west on I-64, near the exit for Evansville, “TUD” Krohn, who lives beside the Interstate has built several large scale model aircraft and mounted them for display in his yard. They are very visible from the Interstate, just east of Exit 29. We have stopped and visited with him a couple of times and decided to drop in again on this trip. "TUD" is quite a talker and we enjoy chatting with him about his talent for building these beauties without “plans”. He uses a small plastic model and works from that to create the large metal models.

We then got off the highway at Exit 25 (US 41), gassed up for $2.83 a gallon, and met Poverty Pete at Stolls Family Restaurant for an early lunch. We have stopped at Stolls a couple of times and didn’t think much of it, but decided to give it a “3rd Strike”. It is advertised as an Amish-style buffet. Well “the Third Strike” was used and we have labeled it as a “do not go back”. The food was ‘mediocre’ but nothing rated above a 5 on a 10 scale and there are too many interesting places in the area to try before accepting this as the measure of a meal! Plus the lunch was $10 and that was just not acceptable for what we got. So Stolls is now off the list!
Here is the Sign out Front- on US 41

And here is Steve (Poverty Pete) Seaching for something for his lunch!

Then we wandered over to Henderson, which is just across the Ohio River from Evansville, to the Park where the Blues Festival was playing. We took some folding chairs and enjoyed a few hours of good music in the shade of the big trees right beside the river.
Here is part of the crowd in the Park near the stage-

The Park is located right beside the Ohio River so Barges are moving up and downstream and the rail bridge is active to add ambience to the outdoor festival-

The groups sounded great, which I am sure was difficult with the temp in the upper 90's !

Louis joined us in the Park, bring samples of the fried (and smoked) Chicken that he had mentioned on the Website earlier. The Bon Ton Market’s Chicken was the best of the group.
Here he is with Poverty Pete discussing the fine points of fried chicken from the S W Indiana/Kentucky area.

and a photo of the Bon Ton Chicken, which really is quite good!

The heat began to takes its toll on us and we decided to cool off for awhile back at Poverty Pete’s Motel and meet with Louis later for Pizza and Beer at “Turino’s”, the best Pizza place in the Evansville area.

We enjoyed some good Jalopena Poppers an an excellent cracker-thin Pizza while sharing a couple of pitchers of beer before calling it a night. Unfortunately Louis missed connecting up with us there, but we will see him again soon we are sure! Those time zone changes between the two places confuse us every time we head down that way.

Here is a serving of fresh crispy 'Poppers'

And the cracker-crust Pizza which I thought was outstanding! Remember I am not much of a Pizza fan as my experience has been mainly with the chain-Pizza stuff. This one was really good !

So after a good dinner, we made the nice ride home and closed out another great day-trip with our friends.

26 Replies Related Threads

QFan
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 643
    RE: Trip Report- Henderson,KY Blues Festival June 2007 2007/06/17 16:17:33 (permalink)
    Great report, ATM! I grew up in the southern part of Illinois, about 70 miles from Evansville/Henderson. Your pictures and descriptions brought back some fond Ohio River memories. Also the chow looked and sounded yummy! So here's a happy father's day salute and thanks for posting your report.

QFan
    Bonita Springs, FL
    rouxdog
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1421
    RE: Trip Report- Henderson,KY Blues Festival June 2007 2007/06/17 16:19:24 (permalink)
    Great day trip. Thanks for taking us along!
    wanderingjew
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 7956
    RE: Trip Report- Henderson,KY Blues Festival June 2007 2007/06/17 17:00:48 (permalink)
    That fried chicken looks delicious!!

Great report!

You lost me with the poppers and pizza though
    buffetbuster
    Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 10496
    RE: Trip Report- Henderson,KY Blues Festival June 2007 2007/06/17 17:10:18 (permalink)
    Mr. Mayor-
    Nice report! It looks like a really fun day. And I really enjoy the photo of Poverty Pete around the buffet....he has the look of a man on a mission!
    Sundancer7
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 13549
    RE: Trip Report- Henderson,KY Blues Festival June 2007 2007/06/17 17:30:58 (permalink)
    The Mayor always does good trip reports. Pizza and poppers looked very good to me but the chicken looked the best. Did they have BBQ at the festival. Sorry I missed it.

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN
    mayor al
    Fire Safety Admin
    RE: Trip Report- Henderson,KY Blues Festival June 2007 2007/06/17 17:51:36 (permalink)

WJ- I understand your 'regionalism' but we find non-chain Pizza a rarity in this area, so it was worth including. Pov.Pete had some dealings with the owner a hundred years ago ..or something like that. He recommended the place...and paid for the Pizza, so Who am I to gripe? That thin and very crisp crust was outstanding, and BTW the service was really fine. Our server was very attentive...Of course Pov Pete is a Bachelor and tips very well...and rides a bright yellow Harley, so perhaps her motivation was "long-term???

Sundancer, The BBQ competition was last weekend, so the local BBQ places weren't "on the site" of the festival. The venders did have some pretty good looking stuff though. Pov. Pete saw a Vender wagon with grilled Ribeyes that he swears were an inch and a quarter or so thick...grilled to order. Janet went back to check the price on them and found them for $7.00 for Steak, Toast, and FF. Had we not filled up on Louis's samples of BonTon Chicken, Mr.D's Chicken and the Smoked Chicken halves from the BarBQ Barn, we might have nailed one of the Ribeyes. At it was Jan enjoyed one of the "Java Shakes" A mocha soft-serve milkshake that is sold from a Festival-booth (not a vender) Only $3.00 for a large shake...and it is a fundraiser for the festival. Steve found the Wolf BBQ's Beer Garden was selling large Draft Beers of some brands he liked for $3.00 also. That's dirt cheap for Festival food. I was so full from all the chicken and trimmings that I didn't even want to share a Funnel Cake...That's really something for me to say.

One more comment on this Festival. It is a freebie for visitors. They pay for using community donations and sales from shirts and hats etc. We have attended 5 or 6 of them since moving back into this area. We think it is one of the best organized festivals we have found...and we go to a lot of the local festivals all over the state!

Poverty Pete
    • Total Posts : 2320
    RE: Trip Report- Henderson,KY Blues Festival June 2007 2007/06/17 18:18:31 (permalink)
    That was one of the best festivals I've been to in many years...Great beer, great food, great friends, great music! ...and I'm calling the owner of Turoni's in the morning to ensure that he knows what a fine food server he has...
    Sundancer7
    Fire Safety Admin
    RE: Trip Report- Henderson,KY Blues Festival June 2007 2007/06/17 18:24:45 (permalink)
    The food selection at the festival sounded outstanding. I am extremely sorry I missed the music and food. I had to suffer in Portland and Spokane although the food there was very very good. I drove up the Columbia River Gorge which is beautiful. I then drove up to Yakima where the Yakima Valley was full of fruits and veggies. Spokane is very beautiful.

Regardless, it did not contain my friends and I certainly would have rather been with Al, Janet and Poverty.

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN
    mayor al
    Fire Safety Admin
    RE: Trip Report- Henderson,KY Blues Festival June 2007 2007/06/17 18:59:07 (permalink)
    Paul,
    If you hang out with Al and Janet very long, Can Poverty be far behind????
    Poverty Pete
    RE: Trip Report- Henderson,KY Blues Festival June 2007 2007/06/17 19:15:20 (permalink)
    I think you got it backwards, Bubba! I'm gonna hook up with Sundancer and Roz in August. Are you guys gonna tag along?? Oh, wait, Janet's gonna be in California...OK, you're still invited.
    Sundancer7
    Fire Safety Admin
    RE: Trip Report- Henderson,KY Blues Festival June 2007 2007/06/17 19:18:49 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Poverty Pete

I think you got it backwards, Bubba! I'm gonna hook up with Sundancer and Roz in August. Are you guys gonna tag along?? Oh, wait, Janet's gonna be in California...OK, you're still invited.

Sounds good to me but where are we going? Personally I do not care cause I like to go and Roz's handle is Iwanago. I think she likes to go also.

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN
    Poverty Pete
    RE: Trip Report- Henderson,KY Blues Festival June 2007 2007/06/17 19:34:32 (permalink)
    Paul, I've always wanted to do breakfast with you at Apple Barn, and we HAVE to hit that joint with the great spaghetti sauce. Then, if you're not traveling, we'll go down to Georgia, looking for a soul to steal.
    Sundancer7
    Fire Safety Admin
    RE: Trip Report- Henderson,KY Blues Festival June 2007 2007/06/17 20:28:16 (permalink)
    Poverty, I welcome you to come visit with me, stay with me and do lunch or dinner at Louis on Broadway for the best spaghetti sauce in the USA.. Uniquely different and slightly salt and meaty.

The Apple Barn is owned by a friend of mine. I was in his brothers wedding and in the Air National Guard for six years with the both of them. The Apple Barn is a great stop by itself. Breakfast is outta sight.

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN
    Louis
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 732
    RE: Trip Report- Henderson,KY Blues Festival June 2007 2007/06/17 21:16:27 (permalink)
    Very good report, Al--as always. I'm glad you, Poverty and Janet enjoyed the variety of chicken samples I brought by. I'm always glad to introduce others to the little known culinary treasures to be found around here. (I also brought everyone some sugar molasses-based barbecued beans from Thomason's Bar-B-Q for everyone to try.)

I could have told you about Stoll's long ago. The first three months they were open, they were pretty good, then they began to lose steam; they've been coasting down mediocrity hill ever since.

There's another Amish buffet-style restaurant in Evansville near the intersection of Green River Road and Lynch Road that's even worse called The Black Buggy. It's housed in a clean, very stylish building, very much like Stoll's. Very friendly service. Nothing looks wrong--until you approach the various buffets. Very sloppy presentation. The food looks like it's been there for quite a while, as if it were made up in the early morning and stayed there all day long. It looks like everybody and his uncle has picked through the food before you got to it. To experience this once is one thing, but thrice? I think a return trip is not in order. And the taste? Just average. Nothing to make you jump up and say, "This is really good!" The restaurant has had time to correct their problems. They haven't. So my advice is to stay away.

Another Evansville pizza place that is very good (that's in the Turoni's category) is the Roca Bar. It's been on Kentucky Avenue, one block west of U.S. 41 between Riverside and Covert Avenues since 1943, serving wafer-thin crust pizza. (Pizza in these parts is usually served with thin crust if it's locally owned.)

Anyway, I'm glad to hear you liked the festival. I'll see you guys again before the year is over, perhaps when Peak Bros. Bar-B-Q in Waverly, Kentucky finally reopens after their fire last November.

Now that Moonlite Bar-B-Q is having trouble keeping its barbecue in tip-top shape, Peak Bros.--by default--may be the best barbecue restaurant in the western Kentucky area. But let's see what it tastes like when they reopen later this year, maybe in the fall.
    Poverty Pete
    RE: Trip Report- Henderson,KY Blues Festival June 2007 2007/06/17 21:28:17 (permalink)
    You're on point once again, Louis. Roca Bar does a fine pizza. I'm glad we didn't go to Black Buggy. Aren't you, Janet?
    mayor al
    Fire Safety Admin
    RE: Trip Report- Henderson,KY Blues Festival June 2007 2007/06/17 21:31:00 (permalink)
    The Black Buggy is connected to the Black Buggy up in Washington Indiana, a well known Amish place in that small town.

I think it is aROADFOOD NEWSWORTHY ITEM to know that the Evansville Black Buggy Restaurant has a "DRIVE-THRU" window.
    No Kidding look at the website for the Evansville branch of this business...and click to see the DRIVE THRU MENU!! Talk about Cultural Conflict !!

http://www.blackbuggy.com/evansville.htm
    MilwFoodlovers
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3174
    RE: Trip Report- Henderson,KY Blues Festival June 2007 2007/06/17 22:07:34 (permalink)
    I missed a great photo-op when passing through West Branch Michigan. The McDonald's had several Amish horse and buggies parked outside.
    Btw, the Aurora Blues Festival had some outstanding music this past weekend. 90 year old David "HoneyBoy" Edwards, Nick Moss and his Flip Tops, Tab Benoit, Eric Lindell, Robert Cray and my personal favorite, Billy Boy Arnold backed by Billy Flynn, Kenny Smith and Bob Stroger! Just an outstanding free festival in a pretty downtown setting on a bridge over the Fox River.
    Indoors we had some very good Mexican seafood at a place called La Quinta de los Reyes. I had a seafood cocktail filled with shrimp, raw oysters, octopus and fish, while Mrs FL opted for some giant grilled prawns (langostino's) stuffed with ham, cheese and bacon. Red and green salsa and guacamole were made from a roving cart at your table.
    Outdoors, some elotes in a cup with mayo, grated cheese and chili powder and a stop next door for some charcoal grilled 10" Italian sausages smothered with grilled onions and peppers.
    Louis
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 732
    RE: Trip Report- Henderson,KY Blues Festival June 2007 2007/06/17 22:30:13 (permalink)
    To be fair, the Black Buggy Restaurant in Washington, Indiana had a very good reputation. I suppose they wanted to capitalize on that reputation, which is why they built an Evansville, Indiana operation, which could serve a larger population. But something went wrong. Only the operators can answer that, but the impression I've gotten is that they built a restaurant larger than they had the talent to manage well.
    John A
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4295
    RE: Trip Report- Henderson,KY Blues Festival June 2007 2007/06/18 07:46:30 (permalink)
    Looks like everyone ate well and enjoyed the trip, thanks for posting.
    CajunKing
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6530
    RE: Trip Report- Henderson,KY Blues Festival June 2007 2007/06/18 21:05:41 (permalink)
    Roadfood and BLUES - Awesome trip

Bon Ton's Chicken is awesome for a picnic in the park, sounds like you had a great weekend.
    Thanks for posting about it.

Poverty Pete
    RE: Trip Report- Henderson,KY Blues Festival June 2007 2007/06/18 21:10:01 (permalink)
    I did call the owner of Turoni's today, and told him how much we enjoyed the meal. He told me he was going to give our server a raise. Sorry about the timing, Louis. We'll do it again.
    Oneiron339
    • Total Posts : 2075
    RE: Trip Report- Henderson,KY Blues Festival June 2007 2007/06/19 07:09:35 (permalink)
    I still want a French Lick.
    mayor al
    Fire Safety Admin
    RE: Trip Report- Henderson,KY Blues Festival June 2007 2007/06/19 10:56:23 (permalink)
    One-Iron,
    I ordered one on-line for you, from the Morehead State University Bookstore.

Pov.Pete,
    That young lady did a fine job. She deserves a raise! Say did you keep that plate of Anchovies? I could have used them on my breakfast cereal this morning! Frosted Mini-Wheats need those salty little devils to 'spice them up' a bit.
    desertdog
    • Total Posts : 1946
    RE: Trip Report- Henderson,KY Blues Festival June 2007 2007/06/19 11:40:45 (permalink)

Thanks for the repot, Al. I agree with WJ, that chicken looks great. I can almost smell it!

I really have to get down to the southeastern part of this country someday. I know I'm missing out on some superior roadfood....

mayor al
    Fire Safety Admin
    RE: Trip Report- Henderson,KY Blues Festival June 2007 2007/06/19 12:01:32 (permalink)
    DD, Why don't you set aside next President's Day weekend (Feb 2008) for joining us in Mobile AL for both BBQ and Seafood. The Glee Club is headed South next winter !! There are other get-togethers being planned in the NorthEast and in Carolina that could draw your attention also.

The Chicken is quite good, especially considering it had been on the road for awhile before Louis got to the Park. Getting it still "Super-Hot" fresh out of the fryer would add to the experience. We like it though! I mentioned those Grilled Ribeyes for $7.00... I wish we had saved room for one of those. Both Jan and Poverty eyeballed them and said they looked great !

Next year we will probably try to get down there for the BBQ competition.

Now we start looking at the Madison RibberFest. About 50 miles upriver at the same location (on the banks of the Ohio) that they hold the July 4th Unlimited SpeedBoat Regatta, It is set for the weekend of the 17th-18th of August. Good Music again, and in addition to the Big-League BBQ Competition, they will hold a "Backyard BBQ" competition for amatuers. Few rules, but the best one is that the competitors must cook a bunch of their BBQ to hand out as samples after the judging. That Friday evening is full of good and some not so good) BBQ and music. Advance tickets are available online...and you get a kick-back in 'vender tickets' if you buy the 'on-line advance sales'. Heck of a deal. Anyway thats the next one on our list. Meantime Janet will do a week in SoCal to see her family.

aleswench
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 686
    RE: Trip Report- Henderson,KY Blues Festival June 2007 2007/06/28 13:51:36 (permalink)
    Awesome, as usual - thanks for the great lunch-time reading!
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1