Trip Report- May 2006 AZ,Utah,CO Natl Parks

Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 5 of 6
Author
mayor al
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 15185
RE: Trip Report- May 2006 AZ,Utah,CO Natl Parks 2006/05/21 18:57:11 (permalink)
Here are the two wildlife photos from today (Day 14). The Turkeys look a bit scrawny, but they were in a pretty rough desert area near Hanksville, Utah. I think they are on the run a lot and don't get to 'fatten up' much.

Here is the Pheasant as he made his way into the bushes away from the road. He was near Green River, Utah

Our dinner stop tonight was indeed, the Moab Diner. No Photos tonight folks, we got lazy again. It was 97 degrees when we left for dinner at 6 pm. If we go back tomorrow, and well we may, I promise to capture the moment, so to speak. Janet had the Special of the day--Grilled Cajun Catfish with fried Okra and a salad. ($8.95). I selected the Liver and Onions (w some bacon added too. I had a cup of good Cream of Brocolli soup and FF with the Liver. ($6.50). With our motel registration we received a 2fer coupon that made my dinner 1/2 off, so we ordered a special side-dish this place is noted for.... Sweetwater Potatoes. Basically a dish of Home-Fried Potato (skin-on) chunks covered with bacon pieces, cheese(jack) and Chili-Verde sauce. Man was that good. It took the place of the fries that came with my dinner and remained when I was finished. I will try to get a photo of the dish when we return tomorrow evening.

The service was quick and in the true Diner-style. The food was great and the price was right!

See you all tomorrow with Day 15.
Pwingsx
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 2170
RE: Trip Report- May 2006 AZ,Utah,CO Natl Parks 2006/05/22 02:28:40 (permalink)
97 degrees? That is just too damned hot for May.

Watch out for rattlesnakes. There's a bumper crop of them this year.
garryd451
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 705
RE: Trip Report- May 2006 AZ,Utah,CO Natl Parks 2006/05/22 08:15:00 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Pwingsx

97 degrees? That is just too damned hot for May.

Watch out for rattlesnakes. There's a bumper crop of them this year.

I have always heard that fried rattlesnake makes alful GOOD EATING!!!!!!!!!
pmrkr2
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 319
RE: Trip Report- May 2006 AZ,Utah,CO Natl Parks 2006/05/22 11:17:20 (permalink)
great thread. thanks for all the info and pix. keep having fun
Art Deco
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 890
RE: Trip Report- May 2006 AZ,Utah,CO Natl Parks 2006/05/22 12:38:47 (permalink)
Wow. That picture from Cowboy's Smokehouse in Panguitch shows brisket that bears no resemblance to what I got there a couple of years ago. It even looks like roast beef...

Thanks for the travelogue Al, you're hitting some of my favorite scenery!
mayor al
Fire Safety Admin
RE: Trip Report- May 2006 AZ,Utah,CO Natl Parks 2006/05/22 18:28:02 (permalink)
DAY 15 The last day of the RedRock Tours. Canyonlands (Northern Section) and Arches National Parks. 150 miles of beautiful scenery , even with a thunderboomer now and then.

We headed into Canyonlands N.P. this morning, beating a lot of the motorhome folks by getting out into the Boonies by 7 am. That gave us a chance to get a great wildlife photo of two Bighorn Sheep not far off the road.

You can tell the sky is overcast by the greyness in the landscape photo, but in real-life it still was beautiful!!

Even the Wildflowers look good out there.

We came back to Moab to get some lunch at the Moab Diner (again) and this time I took the camera in with me.

The Cheeseburger with a side of Chile Verde was great.

Then it was time to make a tour of Arches N P It is just north of Moab and is one our favorite places. Here are a couple of the many Arches that seem to be everywhere in the Park.

By this time we were getting pelted by some thunderstorms between tour-stops, so we have returned to the motel to add these lines for today. Not sure where dinner will be tonight, but we will try to add a report when we return.

Tomorrow we start east using I-70 and US 6 in Colorado. We should be home by Friday or Saturday, It all depends on what we find as we head for home.
cornfed
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 344
RE: Trip Report- May 2006 AZ,Utah,CO Natl Parks 2006/05/22 18:39:36 (permalink)
Of anywhere I've ever been, the area you're in now is truly the most spectacular. Even the sudden weather changes. You can understand why this is looked at as spiritual ground. Truly magnificent. You are very lucky to experience it more than once. It must feel like a pilgrimmage.
mayor al
Fire Safety Admin
RE: Trip Report- May 2006 AZ,Utah,CO Natl Parks 2006/05/22 18:48:53 (permalink)

Cornfed,
Yes it has been a special trip. When we lived in SoCal we came up into Utah many times, but it seemed to be 'on our way to somewhere else'. Or to see family. In both cases we didn't take the time that we could on this trip, to really get the feel for these beutiful places. Both Janet and I ( and maybe the pooches also)know we will remember this trip for the rest of our lives. (And not just because I have stored almost 4 Gigs of photos so far!!)

I hope that these travel notes will be useful to some of you when you plan future trips into this amazing country.
mr chips
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4724
RE: Trip Report- May 2006 AZ,Utah,CO Natl Parks 2006/05/22 20:33:36 (permalink)
Arches is one of the most spectacular places i have ever been. The hike to the Delicate Arch and the close-up view remains a life highlight. Thanks for reviving the memories.
KCMarie
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 7
RE: Trip Report- May 2006 AZ,Utah,CO Natl Parks 2006/05/22 20:42:27 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Al-The Mayor-Bowen

I hope that these travel notes will be useful to some of you when you plan future trips into this amazing country.

They are most useful! I've already changed my itinerary once. Then twice! Got my son really hankerin for those bumbleberry pancakes and bacon from the other day!

Thanks again!
Marie
mayor al
Fire Safety Admin
RE: Trip Report- May 2006 AZ,Utah,CO Natl Parks 2006/05/22 21:24:25 (permalink)

Glad we could help, Marie. It is a cloudy blustery evening in Moab but still holding at 80 degrees. No pool use tonight....the lightening is too close.
After all the griping about the interstates being 'dull', I must say I look forward to the run up over the Mountains tomorrow. I-70 from Glenwood Springs to the top of the divide is the most beautiful Interstate I have traveled! We will try to Lunch at Jennies in Empire, CO and take U S 6 around the Tunnel and over Loveland Pass (11,990 ft elevation) to give the dogs a final taste of snow for the season.
enginecapt
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3486
RE: Trip Report- May 2006 AZ,Utah,CO Natl Parks 2006/05/22 22:09:59 (permalink)
quote:

That they will Al.
roossy90
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6695
RE: Trip Report- May 2006 AZ,Utah,CO Natl Parks 2006/05/23 11:51:47 (permalink)
Al's photos show just what a beautiful country we live in.
When I went cross country the first time, I was amazed at just how beautiful, and varied the land is here in the United States. It was a trip very similar to the first leg of his Colorado trip and looks like he will be following the way I went on his return thru Colorado.
Thanks for many memories awakened.
I had to take out my photo album from my trip last year and one from 13 years ago after seeing your wonderful photographs.
I am looking forward to you sharing your return trip photo's with us!
Thanks Al, for showing us some of that beautiful U.S of A.
mayor al
Fire Safety Admin
RE: Trip Report- May 2006 AZ,Utah,CO Natl Parks 2006/05/25 21:53:48 (permalink)

Day 17-18-19The Big Finale.

The thunderstorms cleared out over night, so since we were headed N E to get to I-70 we figured it wouldn’t hurt to get a few ‘Last Photos’ in Arches N P on our way out of Moab. The bright morning sun gave us some nice perspectives of the same arches we shared with you the day before.

Then it was EastBound and Down on I-70. I don’t know how you all react to this part of a vacation trip when you do a roadtrip, but we kinda get antsey to make tracks for home. We had been on the road for 17 days (and nights) and as much as we had thought about lollygagging around the Mountains in Colorado, we didn’t!! I had hoped to get home without maint. On the truck, but some of the back roads caused tire cuts and bad wearon the inner edges, So we had to get a pair of tires mounted (in Golden, CO) and that capped the “let’s Go” attitude for both of us.
I-70 is an interstate with real class in my opinion. Just east of Glenwood Springs the Colorado River, The Denver and Rio Grande Western RR and the Highway share a narrow canyon that is an engineering marvel to drive thru and to study.

We overnighted (after the tire incident and a late breakfast/supper at the Tomahawk Truck Stop) in Limon, CO. Nothing to report there but a chance to watch a little Prairie Dog scramble from tunnel to tunnel, while the dogs never even got close in their sniffing-pursuit!

Day 18- Limon CO to Junction City (Fort Riley) Kansas. This time of year Kansas is pretty much green and flat. It will dry out a lot by the time we head west again in September. We stopped in Wilson, Kansas (Exit 206) the self-proclaimed Czech Capital of Kansas to see how things had progressed since our last visit 7 or 8 years ago. It seemed to be the same town in “suspended animation” that we visited with my Mom in the 90’s! It looked like it was going to be a sellout crowd at the Opera House this weekend !!

We bought some fresh (refrigerated since that morning) Kolaches to nibble on as we headed east again. The Kolache is a great pastry, and these were prime examples. The bread-like dough was sweet to taste, and the fruit was a bit tart and full-flavored, not sugary jam like filling. We put them on the dashboard to warm a bit in the afternoon sun and they were OUTSTANDING!

Then came a shopping stop at the Russell Stover Candy Store in Abilene, Kansas. Now mind you, we had stopped at the R.S. in Montrose CO about 2 weeks ago, but somehow my sweet-toothed wife had managed to snack her way thru the materials (except my Salt Water Taffy) so we had to stock up for ‘trip presents’ for some neighbors and grandkids. The Abilene candy store is huge (compared to several others we have visited over the years). We did our shopping, then Janet headed over to the Ice Cream Counter where BLUE BELL is featured. Since lleechef is such a Blue Bell fan, we got an extra scoop of Butter Pecan and dedicated it to her before scarfing it down to prevent spillage !!

After a riding tour of the town of Abilene we head a bit further east to Junction City, KS for the night. Here again we found that the wireless internet service was not functioning, so we had to put off any reports again.

Day 19- Junction City KS to Lanesville Indiana (605 miles), We back-doored our way into Kansas City yesterday morning for two reasons…1. I was bored with the eastern Kansas version of I-70 and 2. we wanted to stop at Arthur Bryants when it opened at 10 am (Thanks to Bushie and Pov Pete for providing Net access to the hours of operation when I couldn’t get to the Net) We were 160 miles from KC when we started that day, and used U S 24 and U S 40 to get to the front door of Arthur Bryants just as the gentleman with the keys was unlocking the front door. Perfect timing. One gentleman came in right behind us to pick up a take-out order for his flight to New Orleans later that morning. We got a take-out order of a couple of pounds of brisket, a couple of pounds of Burnt ends, a slab of ribs, and 4 quarts of the Beans…I love Arthur Bryants BBQ Beans!!. So $80 lighter, but with a cooler full of good things we were off on the way to Hoosierland.

We had enjoyed wonderful weather almost the entire trip and what rain we did endure was a series of small desert thunderstorms that really didn’t do more than wet the roads a bit. HOWEVER, The Gods decided to welcome us back Home to Indiana with a real show last night. When we entered the state from Illinois the sky turned black and the lightning was all over the place. We gassed up in Evansville and just as Jan and I returned to the truck from the fuel stop, the storm hit. Buckets of rain, winds howling and a real interesting time on the road. Many underpasses were full of cars seeking shelter. We marched along with flashers going and holding at about 35 MPH for 50 miles or so, then it seemed to lighten up a bit….but not for long. Round Two hit as we neared our exit on I-64. Luckily I got the truck into our garage and we left things in place while we retired for the night.
No photos of the storming or events related, as we were too busy and too tired to care about recording this part of a great trip for historical purposes.

OK- A few Stats.. We drove 5600 miles over 19 Days. Lowest gas prices were in Western Missouri (both on I-44 and on I-70) at $2.54. Highest gas we saw was in remote Utah--$3.29 a gallon. We didn’t shop there. We did get some for $2.86 in Cedar City- the low for Utah)
Motel costs were comparable to what we experienced in 2004. Prices had not gone up on the average. We traveled before the Memorial Day “Start of the Season” rate increases. By shopping on-line and using the Net AND the AAA Tour-Books in advance we had no difficulty find pet-friendly motels at what we consider a reasonable rate.

Food was an interesting subject. I could make a case for the difficulty of finding ‘good’ roadfood eating places after driving all day in scenic areas. I had several pages of printouts of notes that helped a lot, but there were times when it was too much bother to go hunting for a place in another town. Moab is a good example. When we had a good cheap dinner there the first night we were in town, the decision as to should we try another place, or test another menu item at the Diner was made!? Our choice was the Diner. We liked the place and those Sweetwater Potatoes were addictive for sure. The dinners were all under $10 and the food was solid and good. Frankly if we stayed in town for a week we probably would have been there every day. The menu was varied and we liked everything we tried.

OK I will upload this final report entry then try to get the last photos on from my laptop. I am back on the dial-up service here at home, so photos take awhile compared to the the motel internet service. I do hope my records will assist some of you in your travel plans. This vacation was a wonderful experience for us. Stopping to “smell the roses” whenever we wanted to, and pulling over in turnouts to let the BMW’s whip by was a new experience for me, and I liked it. We saw wildlife, met a lot of nice people, and saw things that we had hoped to see all over the West.
It is good to be home, but the memories are worth all the planning and efforts. I urge anyone thinking of poking around this country of ours, to do just that. What a great ride !
mayor al
Fire Safety Admin
RE: Trip Report- May 2006 AZ,Utah,CO Natl Parks 2006/05/26 15:13:59 (permalink)

That is my closing report for the Spring 2006 trip. We will be on the road again in Mid- September, headed for the Pacific Northwest and a run down the coast roads to L A then home thru 'Bushieland'. More miles than this one, but longer days for a major part of the ride. We'll be ready by then.

BTW our timing on this ride has been just fine. The cherries are beginning to show a rosy cheek and the apples are ready for thinning. Now to get some diesel fuel and get the mowing started.
AL
Sundancer7
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 13477
RE: Trip Report- May 2006 AZ,Utah,CO Natl Parks 2006/05/26 15:23:03 (permalink)
Mr. Mayor, it will probably take you a day or two to decompress. Glad you are back and I certainly enjoyed your pics and commentary.

I think you bought enough BBQ to last you a day or two

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN
Donna Douglass
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 508
RE: Trip Report- May 2006 AZ,Utah,CO Natl Parks 2006/05/26 15:53:32 (permalink)
What a wonderful experience for you, Janet and the doggies. We enjoyed every single one of your reports and pictures. Thank you so much for sharing and now we'll look forward to your next trip in September. Have a wonderful summer, and a good life.

Donna
lleechef
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6653
RE: Trip Report- May 2006 AZ,Utah,CO Natl Parks 2006/05/26 16:43:29 (permalink)
Mr. Mayor, thank you for that extra scoop of butter pecan ice cream!! I could almost taste it! I'm kind of sad that you're home already, this was one of the best threads (mainly because of your awesome photos and great commentary) that I have enjoyed on Roadfood. Wow! What a trip!
EdSails
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3904
RE: Trip Report- May 2006 AZ,Utah,CO Natl Parks 2006/05/26 17:37:55 (permalink)
What an amazing trip----and a great report!
CCJPO
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 520
RE: Trip Report- May 2006 AZ,Utah,CO Natl Parks 2006/05/26 17:44:29 (permalink)
Mr Mayor,

Stunning pictures. They prove yet again that the great southwest is indeed "Gods' Country". I first this part of the country on my 24,000 mile driving trip around North America in the 70's after leaving SEA. I found that Zion, Bryce, the Arches and Canyonlands were by far the most beautiful places that I have ever, or will ever see. And I have been a lot of places. I felt I was fortunate to see them so long ago, as there are many more travelers, and tourists these days. I am also fortunate that I eventually settled in Nevada, and many of the places you were are not that far from us and we have visited many times. For those of you who have not seen this part of America and want to get a sense of them you might want tocheck out the writtings of EDWARD ABBEY.

Thanks again.
UncleVic
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6025
RE: Trip Report- May 2006 AZ,Utah,CO Natl Parks 2006/05/26 19:13:11 (permalink)
Mr. Mayor.. Great report. As mentioned earlier, it was better then reading the National Geographic! Pics where awesome, reports where the tops also. My only curiosity is why you posted the picture of the burger from Moab Diner. 1 and 1/4 pickle slice, unmelted chez (burger pic).. Though the rest of it looked good. Your reports where something to look forward to everyday! I'm saddened it came to an end. I hope others go out and do the same. Last one before you I beleive was TJ Jackson last fall. (Though he could have used tons more pictures).. Again, thanks for that awesome report from the road! As this guy Pink once said, Wish I was there (Well, I sort of twisted his words)...

mayor al
Fire Safety Admin
RE: Trip Report- May 2006 AZ,Utah,CO Natl Parks 2006/05/26 20:50:11 (permalink)

Vic, The Moab Diner Burger was supposed to be 'smothered' in the Chile Verde, but I asked for it on the side so I could apply it as desired. Smothered in the hot chile the cheese would have disappeared in no time !! It was a very good Burger. I can't be the Ansel Adams of Roadfood photography when I am so damn hungry !!

garryd451
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 705
RE: Trip Report- May 2006 AZ,Utah,CO Natl Parks 2006/05/26 21:04:41 (permalink)
It was very very enjoyable reading your thread everyday!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I must agree with UncleVic, I am
also very sadden to see your trip cpme to a end!
UncleVic
Sirloin
RE: Trip Report- May 2006 AZ,Utah,CO Natl Parks 2006/05/26 21:11:53 (permalink)
quote:

Vic, The Moab Diner Burger was supposed to be 'smothered' in the Chile Verde, but I asked for it on the side so I could apply it as desired. Smothered in the hot chile the cheese would have disappeared in no time !! It was a very good Burger. I can't be the Ansel Adams of Roadfood photography when I am so damn hungry !!

Point well taken Mayor! mmmm... Chile verde...
Now that ya lived the life, whats next?
Bushie
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 2902
RE: Trip Report- May 2006 AZ,Utah,CO Natl Parks 2006/05/26 22:23:10 (permalink)
Awesome, Mr. Mayor. Worthy of a coffee table book.
UncleVic
Sirloin
RE: Trip Report- May 2006 AZ,Utah,CO Natl Parks 2006/05/26 22:36:22 (permalink)
Actually, the Mayor did an awesome report! Most thankfull he came out and did a report on some good eats, and views. I chatted with him via email earlier this evening and he's ready to take a rest (probably 4 or so hours and he'll be back at it)... How bout the rest of us do the same as the Mayor did??? He has me motivated to do a Michigan Chili Dog roundup... I'm pretty sure rest of you in your regional areas have other ideas... Lets get these posted! Even if they are once or every other week..
Linda Gebhardt
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 61
RE: Trip Report- May 2006 AZ,Utah,CO Natl Parks 2006/05/27 07:18:03 (permalink)
Thank you Mr Mayor.I loved coming in here everyday and reading the posts.
Bobs
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 244
RE: Trip Report- May 2006 AZ,Utah,CO Natl Parks 2006/05/27 09:23:16 (permalink)
A- This is great! This is better than any travel show. I suggest we all donate to a fund to keep you on the road. This is the next best thing to being there ourselves. Have fun!
Extreme Glow
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 717
RE: Trip Report- May 2006 AZ,Utah,CO Natl Parks 2006/05/27 14:08:54 (permalink)
quote:

That is my closing report for the Spring 2006 trip. We will be on the road again in Mid- September, headed for the Pacific Northwest ...

The Mayor and I must be on similar wavelengths. I'm headed out to the Four Corners area next week, with a second vacation in the Pacific Northwest in September.

Thanks for the travelogue and photos. I'm going to make a point at stopping at some of Roadfood establishments mentioned.
mayor al
Fire Safety Admin
RE: Trip Report- May 2006 AZ,Utah,CO Natl Parks 2006/05/27 20:19:40 (permalink)
Ex Glow,

Have a great time! I can't say enough about how we feel about this trip. It was a very special experience for both of us. If I can help with any assistance, please ask, or email. I will be glad to do what I can.
AL
Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 5 of 6
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1