Trip Report- May 2006 AZ,Utah,CO Natl Parks

Page: << < ..6 Showing page 6 of 6
Author
pcdiva
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 591
RE: Trip Report- May 2006 AZ,Utah,CO Natl Parks 2006/05/28 16:11:43 (permalink)
Hi Mayor!

I am glad that you, Janet, and dogs made it home safely. I agree with the others that we'll miss your reports from the road. Thanks for sharing with us.

Alice
Akavar
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 361
RE: Trip Report- May 2006 AZ,Utah,CO Natl Parks 2006/05/29 08:18:13 (permalink)
Al -

Thank you for sharing your tour. I went on the road a few days after you did and because I had read your early posts just before I decided me to keep my own travelog. What a great experience that was - to keep the log so that you could remember all the places you had been. After about 10 days on the road I seem to get all the places jumbled together.

You kept a great log and I am sorry that I was not able to comment much. I am looking forward to your next trip and reading about that.
pmrkr2
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 319
RE: Trip Report- May 2006 AZ,Utah,CO Natl Parks 2006/05/29 12:44:45 (permalink)
just want to say thank you for a very interesting play by play of your trip and some great pics. i always say i'm gonna write up my trip and post the results but i never get around to it, but maybe your wonderful posts will serve as inspiration. thanks again and now get on that tread mill (lol)
mr chips
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4727
RE: Trip Report- May 2006 AZ,Utah,CO Natl Parks 2006/05/29 13:58:53 (permalink)
Marvelous posts, Mr. Mayor. Frankly I am also sorry because your posts are filled with insight, humour and great photos. It does seem like you had a marvelous time.
EliseT
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 2880
RE: Trip Report- May 2006 AZ,Utah,CO Natl Parks 2006/05/29 14:22:37 (permalink)
Mmmmmm...I want those onion rings!

What comprised your Czech dinner?

The pic at the hot springs...is that a weird sediment deposit making those stripes on the rocks, or are they painted?

mayor al
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 15233
RE: Trip Report- May 2006 AZ,Utah,CO Natl Parks 2006/05/29 16:21:02 (permalink)

The Czech dinner fixed by cousins of my mother was roasted pork with caraway (naturally) and a dill sauce/gravy. Bread Dumplings (Knedlicki-sp?) brought back a lot of memories of the etnic food that was always coming up at family gatherings. There was a veggie and dessert, but not ethno-oriented!

The Hot Springs sits on the east side of US 550 (north of Durango). It is right beside the highway. The colors are the results of chemical sediments, although at first glance I thought the Disney artists had been at work here! That is all natural!

I cannot praise the National Park System enough for what we experienced. In the Moab area, as with many places in the western desert areas the dirt-bikers and Off-roaders are very active in their recreation. The noise and 'scars' that makes their activity so exciting to them can turn pristine desert into a nightmare for those wanting to find the solitude and untouched areas we read about so much. In places like Canyonlands and Arches and to a lessor extent in Zion, Bryce, and the Grand Canyon the Park Service has kept the recreational use of those vechiles out of the park territory. We did notice the constant buzz of aircraft and helicopters over the Grand Canyon the day we were there. There was no time that day that we had the 'quiet-emptiness' we found in some of the other parks.
We are thankful that we were able to get to these parks before the heavy summer tourist traffic arrived. In Capitol Reef we traveled for hours at a time without seeing another car. In one case when we used the Bullfrog and Burr Trail roads we stopped when an approaching vehicle stopped near us and swapped info about what lay ahead for us and for the other folks. It was an experience out of the days when travelers actually talked to each other !!
Akavar
Cheeseburger
RE: Trip Report- May 2006 AZ,Utah,CO Natl Parks 2006/05/29 17:00:36 (permalink)
Al -

One of my favorite meals as a kid was the roast pork with caraway and smothered in onion gravy, kenedlicki to sop up the extra gravy, and zelli (cabbage cooked with caraway). Now, if I could only find some poppy seed cake to go with that.

Too bad there are not many restaurants that sell such rib sticking food.
mayor al
Fire Safety Admin
RE: Trip Report- May 2006 AZ,Utah,CO Natl Parks 2006/05/29 19:04:43 (permalink)
We missed the cabbage this time. Not sure why it wasn't present, but guests don't ask !!!!! These cousins are in their 90's so we were grateful to have the chance to meet with them.
My Mother would have done the fruit-dumplings for dessert, something I remember very well!

The closest Czech Menu restaurant to us (as far as I know) is the Bohemian Crystal in surburban Chicago. I am sure there are others in the old Czech Communities up there. One of the fun parts of a roadtrip thru Iowa, Nebraska, Kansas and even down thru Texas is finding those Czech towns and villages somewhere near I-35 and finding some authentic food in some really out-of-the-way places.
Akavar
Cheeseburger
RE: Trip Report- May 2006 AZ,Utah,CO Natl Parks 2006/05/29 23:52:39 (permalink)
Al -

I ate at the Czech American restaurant in West, TX on friday. The pirogies were outstanding. We also had sausage, cabbage rolls, roast pork, cabbage and Czech potatoes. It was pretty good but the potatoes did not have caraway mor did the cabbage. Also no fruit or bread dumplings.

Dipstick
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 338
RE: Trip Report- May 2006 AZ,Utah,CO Natl Parks 2006/05/30 07:48:59 (permalink)
Thanks again Mr. Mayor for a very fun and informative narrative!!!
mayor al
Fire Safety Admin
RE: Trip Report- May 2006 AZ,Utah,CO Natl Parks 2006/05/30 19:01:52 (permalink)
West, Texas is one of those Czech Towns I love to visit. Wison Kansas, just off I-70...Wilbur, Nebraska south of Lincoln and Cedar Rapids, Iowa are some others that warrent the attention of those interested in Czech migration and foods! There are many others too. I think each European ethnic group that came to America "in groups" has locations around the country (especially the Midwest) where their heritage is being preserved in some form. During the summer months the festivals for each of these groups is a a great target for roadtrippers from all over the country.
I remember buying 5 dozen fruit and poppyseed Kolaches in the Basement of St Ludmilla's Church in Cedar Rapids about 10 years ago, as part of the festival underway at the time of our visit. I don't think those Kolache's lasted 24 hours in the car with Mom and Janet and I devouring the lot in no time !This is Post 4999 for me. I hope the next one will be on as happy a topic as Czech Food and roadtripping is for me !
minilops
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 79
RE: Trip Report- May 2006 AZ,Utah,CO Natl Parks 2006/05/31 11:31:10 (permalink)
For me, this is what the roadfood website is all about. Thank you so much Mr. Mayor for this excellent travelog. I would also like to mention, that I subscribe to a great magazine called "Country Discoveries" which I have found to be a great companion to this site. It is written by the readers and covers off-the beaten-path and backroads sites including great places to eat. Thanks again for the report.

Allison
mayor al
Fire Safety Admin
RE: Trip Report- May 2006 AZ,Utah,CO Natl Parks 2006/05/31 18:52:47 (permalink)
Allison,
We subscribe to Country Discoveries also. It is a very valuable aid to our list of things to do and places to see. I would have been sending notes and photos to them also if I had the time. As it was evenings tended to fill up with housekeeping tasks and pet management. I must admit typing up a text message and screening those few photos I uploaded during the trip beat hell out of our usual Weather Channel observations and reruns of Law and Order that used to be the mainstay of our late evening 'relaxation period'. Actually Janet did the dogs dinners and exercise while I checked out the truck (gas, oil, tires, dog water and snacks and cooler ice) If there was a pool handy we made time for it also.
Anyway Birds and Blooms and Country Discoveries are indeed two publications worth considering for travel oriented folks.
minilops
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 79
RE: Trip Report- May 2006 AZ,Utah,CO Natl Parks 2006/06/01 11:00:58 (permalink)
I do the scavenger hunt included in each issue, but so far have not won! How about you?

Allison
mayor al
Fire Safety Admin
RE: Trip Report- May 2006 AZ,Utah,CO Natl Parks 2006/06/03 21:31:58 (permalink)

I haven't taken the time to do the Scavanger Hunt yet, but maybe this winter I will start my search pattern! I do like to dig out the short bits that people send in that identify a good roadfood stop. My only criticism is that they never say anything "negative" about any of the places they write-up. I mean it's one thing to like a place, but to present a clear descriptor is important also.
Page: << < ..6 Showing page 6 of 6
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1