The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

Trip Report - Sarasota, FL

Oneiron339

• Total Posts: 2075
Trip Report - Sarasota, FL Tue, 05/8/07 8:32 AM (permalink)
Headed to Sarasota, FL from Atlanta. Made our first stop at Alessi's Bakery in Tampa. Always a good deli stop. We had wanted to go to La Segunda Bakery, but they were closed when we arrived. Alessis is not second-place by any means. Outstanding deli with hot and cold foods. We got two Cuban sandwiches, although we could only finish one (saved the other for lunch next day).

Next day, after frying on the beach, we went to an old stand-by, Phillippi Creek for seafood. I got the fried seafood platter and Mrs. Oneiron got her usual salad. This place caught the large (1400 lb.) shark on display at the marina. And to think we had been wave runnering in that area. As Debbie would say, he would probably just spit me out.

Next day was dinner at the Sandbar on Anna Maria Is. This place is a seafood place famous for its sunset locations. Many peolpe try to get there right before the sunset. It's right on the beach (note the sand in one of the food pictures). And of course, Debbie got the requisite sunset photo. Grouper sandwich and grouper salad (natch) for Debbie.

Next day for a change of pace, and after some hot times on the golf course, we headed for some pizza and beer. El Greco is a mainstay on Main St. in Sarasota. Excellent pizza and superb salad (get the Greek salad). We were enjoying the salad so much before we realized we neglected to take a picture.

Next day, went to Moore's Stone Crab on Longboat Key. Right near the docks. I had a grouper sandwich and Debbie had a salad (ho hum) and chowder.

Next, after another day of golf, we had to go to the Hob Nob, an old-timey drive-in in Sarasota. Over 50 years of service with good food and cold beer. Debbie had the grouper salad and I had the Hob Nobber basket.

Next day for another change, we decided on Mexican (Quatro de Mayo). Mi Pueblo was very good, but alas, no food pictures. It's a little upscale from the usual Mexican places we normally frequent.

Finally, on the way back to ATL, we stopped in Gainesville, FL at the Copper Monkey for their world renown burger. Debbie had a ??? and I had the burger. It was wonderful, and after we left, I wanted another, but didn't head back.

All in all a great roadfood trip, and we got in some golf and some lazy days on the beach.

tybeeguy

• Total Posts: 87
    RE: Trip Report - Sarasota, FL Tue, 05/8/07 9:03 AM (permalink)
    O, Thanks for the report. I will be going down in July and will try several of the places you mentioned. Have you ever done the Tommy Bahama's on the Circle. I enjoyed their Grouper Sandwich at lunch. A little pricey but very good.

Oneiron339

RE: Trip Report - Sarasota, FL Tue, 05/8/07 9:38 AM (permalink)
      Tommy Bahamas is steep. We like the Jimmy Buffet-like place on the circle next to Columbia for seafood sandwiches, too.

ias61942

• Total Posts: 17
        RE: Trip Report - Sarasota, FL Tue, 05/8/07 10:11 AM (permalink)
        The Jimmy Buffet place that you are referring to is probably COCONUTS. Known as a burgerjoint.
        The best burger joint is on the right just before going over the Longboat Key Bridge, known as New Pass Bait Shop and Grill. Its the best, with the best view. Right on the water. Its fabulous. People travel from all over Florida just to buy their burgers.

seafarer john

RE: Trip Report - Sarasota, FL Tue, 05/8/07 10:48 AM (permalink)
          Wonderful report, Oneiron, and those grouper sandwiches look like they are real grouper.

Cheers, John

the grillman

• Total Posts: 624
            RE: Trip Report - Sarasota, FL Tue, 05/8/07 11:25 AM (permalink)
            The Hobnob is great; go there whenever in the area.

ellen4641

• Total Posts: 3531
              RE: Trip Report - Sarasota, FL Tue, 05/8/07 11:45 AM (permalink)
              great pics!

desertdog

• Total Posts: 1946
                RE: Trip Report - Sarasota, FL Tue, 05/8/07 11:54 AM (permalink)

Yeah, we have a Tommy Bahamas here as well, a bit pricey, but usually pretty good.

Thanks for posting excellent pics of your trip. Love the sunset photo, someone (Debbie) has a good eye!

DD

Rusty246

• Total Posts: 2413
                  RE: Trip Report - Sarasota, FL Tue, 05/8/07 12:32 PM (permalink)
                  You stopped in Gainesville?? Went to Copper Monkey??? You were only minutes away from me.

Oneiron339

RE: Trip Report - Sarasota, FL Tue, 05/8/07 8:09 PM (permalink)
                    quote:
                    Originally posted by Rusty246

You stopped in Gainesville?? Went to Copper Monkey??? You were only minutes away from me.

Sorry, it was a spur of the mid-day Saturday afternoon thing. Next time we'll look you up. Those burgers are too good to pass up.

Oneiron339

RE: Trip Report - Sarasota, FL Tue, 05/8/07 8:14 PM (permalink)
                      Couple comments -1942 - the New Pass Bait Shop was closed when we went by, so we headed to Moore's. Also, Coconuts was too crowded (they had a Corvette show on the circle.)
                      Also, John, the grouper tasted like it and was expensive to boot, so maybe it was real.
                      -

EliseT

• Total Posts: 2849
                        RE: Trip Report - Sarasota, FL Wed, 05/9/07 2:43 AM (permalink)
                        I don't know which pic is more artistic, the grass or the fried seafood plate!

RubyRose

• Total Posts: 2187
                          RE: Trip Report - Sarasota, FL Wed, 05/9/07 6:59 AM (permalink)
                          Thanks for the great trip report. We'll be on Anna Maria Island next week for daughter's wedding (plus vacation) and hosting a pre-wedding party at the Sandbar.

Since she has always been a Roadfooder, I wasn't surprised when they rented a house with a large Tiki bar for the reception and are having grouper and recipes from a 1968 vintage Trader Vic's cookbook on the menu.

Oneiron339

RE: Trip Report - Sarasota, FL Wed, 05/9/07 7:04 AM (permalink)
                            quote:
                            Originally posted by RubyRose

Thanks for the great trip report. We'll be on Anna Maria Island next week for daughter's wedding (plus vacation) and hosting a pre-wedding party at the Sandbar.

Since she has always been a Roadfooder, I wasn't surprised when they rented a house with a large Tiki bar for the reception and are having grouper and recipes from a 1968 vintage Trader Vic's cookbook on the menu.

Sounds great! Just a note - the Sandbar is undergoing some renovations, although they are still open. Your party may be limited somewhat.

Oneiron339

RE: Trip Report - Sarasota, FL Wed, 05/9/07 7:05 AM (permalink)
                              quote:
                              Originally posted by EliseT

I don't know which pic is more artistic, the grass or the fried seafood plate!

I like the shark myself.

John A

• Total Posts: 4295
                                RE: Trip Report - Sarasota, FL Wed, 05/9/07 7:49 AM (permalink)
                                Nice job. You guys need to find something else to do besides eat, ever thought about taking up golf?

John

wanderingjew

• Total Posts: 7384
                                  • Roadfood Insider
                                  RE: Trip Report - Sarasota, FL Wed, 05/9/07 8:50 AM (permalink)
                                  Oneiron,

Great Report and Photos!

Now, tell me, you really took the photos of the Grouper Sandwich at Hooters- right??

They do have it on the menu!

MikeS.

• Total Posts: 5360
                                    • Roadfood Insider
                                    RE: Trip Report - Sarasota, FL Wed, 05/9/07 9:53 AM (permalink)
                                    Nice oneiron, thanks for sharing.

Oneiron339

RE: Trip Report - Sarasota, FL Wed, 05/9/07 4:20 PM (permalink)
                                      Mrs. Oneiron wouldn't let me inside Hooters Besides, I thought it was the "Groper" sandwich at Hooters. Golf sounds like a nice diversion, though - may have to try it someday.

Podie1956

• Total Posts: 9
                                        RE: Trip Report - Sarasota, FL Sat, 08/18/07 2:12 PM (permalink)
                                        I live 10 minutes from Gainesville and the Copper Monkey and have always wondered if the burgers are really that good - thanks for letting me know how good the food is in my own town!

We rent a house on Longboat Key one week each year so we know most of the places you mentioned - although I've been disappointed at the Sandbar. We really like the Dry Dock in south Longboat Key even though it's a little more upscale. Everything is very good.

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                          • No New Messages
                                          • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                          • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                          • Locked w/ New Messages
                                          • Locked w/o New Messages
                                          • Read Message
                                          • Post New Thread
                                          • Reply to message
                                          • Post New Poll
                                          • Submit Vote
                                          • Post reward post
                                          • Delete my own posts
                                          • Delete my own threads
                                          • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                          What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com