Trip Report-Glee Club Owensboro KY Feb. 2006

Page: << < ..1112131415 > Showing page 13 of 15
Author
mayor al
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 15181
RE: Trip Report-Glee Club Owensboro KY Feb. 2006 2006/02/15 21:03:00 (permalink)

Dale,
Just keep shoveling that snow!! Sing a verse of Happy Birthday to your friend and wait for the photos to be posted!! Some lucky folks will be eating Johnnycakes soon thanks to you!!

FOLKS,
Here is the Latest WEATHER Projection for the event. Louisville/Owensboro and vicinity.

THURSDAY- Rain and mid 60's, Rain heavier in the evening. Then breaking up after midnite.

FRIDAY- Cloudy and much cooler. Highs in the 40's with blustery winds...but thePrecipitation has been deleted from the forecasts for both towns (and Indy and Nashville too)!!

SATURDAY- Partially Sunny/Cloudy Highs in the mid-30s but NO precip in the area !!!

That is great news for the travelers !!
mayor al
Fire Safety Admin
RE: Trip Report-Glee Club Owensboro KY Feb. 2006 2006/02/16 12:50:42 (permalink)
TIKI,

The Bushies are in the air heading for Louisville as I type... You better stay indoors until at least 3PM your time. No Telling where he will be when he hits the "FLUSH" Button!
tiki
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4140
RE: Trip Report-Glee Club Owensboro KY Feb. 2006 2006/02/16 13:19:22 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Al-The Mayor-Bowen

TIKI,

The Bushies are in the air heading for Louisville as I type... You better stay indoors until at least 3PM your time. No Telling where he will be when he hits the "FLUSH" Button!

ROFLMAO!!!

Yep--we Okies gotta keep an eye on those folks from "Baja Oklahoma"!!!
mayor al
Fire Safety Admin
RE: Trip Report-Glee Club Owensboro KY Feb. 2006 2006/02/16 23:49:05 (permalink)

OK, The Bushie delegation is safe on Louisville. We enjoyed a great Italian dinner at Rockies on the River in Jeffersonville, Indiana this evening.

One of the Buckeye members will be added to the Brown Hotel group tomorrow evening thats to the efforts of Poverty Pete. We know now that we can bring young folks into the Brown without violating an age limit rule.
It is raining..rather hard at the moment...but It is due to pass by shortly and the forecast is for colder but semi-sunny weather for the rest of the weekend.
Things are looking good for the overall weekend schedule!! See you All Soon. Photos will be posted starting after the Brown Hotel session tomorrow.
IansMom
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 395
RE: Trip Report-Glee Club Owensboro KY Feb. 2006 2006/02/17 09:22:08 (permalink)
Another thing to add... I talked to the Brown this AM.. Jeans are allowed in the Thoroughbred .. I had to call because due to my move.. I can't find my dress clothes..LOL so jeans are good.
mayor al
Fire Safety Admin
RE: Trip Report-Glee Club Owensboro KY Feb. 2006 2006/02/17 10:33:05 (permalink)
That's Cool too! Thanks Randi.

The Bushie's left this morning to go to Mrs Bushie's family home in Evansville. They will meet with Seafarer and PovertyPete later today and tomorrow Morning. My dogs are heartbroken, but they will recover when the Bushies return Saturday evening.
We are doing their dishes, then getting set for the Hot Brown tonite. Bring a coat, It seems that whatever bad weather may happen will pass to the South of Louisville and Owensboro tomorrow, but it will be "brisk" with a high in the upper 20's.
UPDATE- 2:00PM Friday-
Paul is approaching Louisville..Iwwanngo will arrive by air in an hour or so...Lynn from Oxford,Ohio is just leaving, driving down. Haven't heard from One-Iron, but will assume that Beemer is on the way from Atlanta! Bright Sun and cold here now. It is going to be a great weekend.
Film at Eleven!
Salustra
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 510
RE: Trip Report-Glee Club Owensboro KY Feb. 2006 2006/02/17 17:01:52 (permalink)
I am so envious of you lucky people headed for the Glee Club Meeting. (for the fellowship as much as the food) I'll just have to live vicariously through your reports and pictures until I get to retire and eat my way through all the wonderful places I'm learning about on Roadfood...Bon Apetit! (ok, so French doesn't exactly go with BBQ, but you get the idea...)
roossy90
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6695
RE: Trip Report-Glee Club Owensboro KY Feb. 2006 2006/02/17 17:32:58 (permalink)
Drive carefully Ya'll.. the weather doesnt look all that great according to TWC..
Wish I could be there too!
Tara
AvalancheDriver
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 28
RE: Trip Report-Glee Club Owensboro KY Feb. 2006 2006/02/17 17:43:39 (permalink)
FOOD ON!!!

I am cleared from work this weekend and the spouse unit is applying the finishing touch to the door prizes that I picked up in the Memphis area.

We are looking forward to meeting the group.

Cheers,

AvalancheDriver

AKA "Murman"
Z66 Butch
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 199
RE: Trip Report-Glee Club Owensboro KY Feb. 2006 2006/02/17 18:30:55 (permalink)
Glad you are coming Murman! We need someone to keep us company for a couple of hours during breakfast on Sunday as our lunch date has moved back those 2 hours

See you tomorrow!
Butch
6star
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4388
RE: Trip Report-Glee Club Owensboro KY Feb. 2006 2006/02/17 20:30:24 (permalink)
I drove down and picked up our last door prize this afternoon. (It was made just today.) I had been so afraid I wouldn't be able to get it, as they had originally told me they wouldn't have any ready until next week. Talk about cutting it close! See everyone tomorrow afternoon.
Bobs
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 244
RE: Trip Report-Glee Club Owensboro KY Feb. 2006 2006/02/17 21:29:53 (permalink)
We had hoped to head that way until a major ice storm was announced for West Tn.this weekend. I am sure everyone will have a great time and send some good reports back for the rest of us.
Poverty Pete
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 2293
RE: Trip Report-Glee Club Owensboro KY Feb. 2006 2006/02/17 21:40:14 (permalink)
I had lunch today with Bushie and Sherry, at my friend's place in Evansville. Great pizza, decent beer.
mayor al
Fire Safety Admin
RE: Trip Report-Glee Club Owensboro KY Feb. 2006 2006/02/17 22:19:40 (permalink)
HOT BROWN REPORT Friday Evening Louisville, KY

The opening session of the Glee Club Convention was called to order by the Mayor at 6:00 PM this evening at the Brown Hotel in Louisville. Attending were The Mayor and Mrs. Mayor, One-Iron and Mrs. One-Iron, Ians Mom and her son and her friend, Sundancer, Iwannago, PCDiva, and Poverty Pete's friend Lynn.

We were seated in the Thoroughbred Lounge in very attractive surroundings. Most of the group ordered the traditional HOT BROWN Sandwich, the keystone of the 'light menu' at this landmark Hotel.

We enjoyed the meal, but even more the light banter and conversation that brought about the kind of friendliness that these meetings have generated in the past.

Now to get to the Moonlite tomorrow and show One-iron a real Kentucky feast
pcdiva
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 591
RE: Trip Report-Glee Club Owensboro KY Feb. 2006 2006/02/17 23:50:42 (permalink)
What a great evening! It was great meeting the first round of Roadfood folks! Can't wait until tomorrow!

Alice
(pcdiva)
AvalancheDriver
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 28
RE: Trip Report-Glee Club Owensboro KY Feb. 2006 2006/02/18 08:10:34 (permalink)
This may be of interest to some.

I currently have light snow in Hartford.

THIS HAZARDOUS WEATHER OUTLOOK IS FOR PORTIONS OF SOUTHERN
ILLINOIS...SOUTHWEST INDIANA...WESTERN KENTUCKY AND SOUTHEAST
MISSOURI.

DAY ONE...TODAY AND TONIGHT

SNOW...HEAVY AT TIMES...WILL CONTINUE THIS MORNING ACROSS MUCH OF
THE REGION. THREE TO SIX OF SNOW IS EXPECTED SOUTH OF A LINE FROM
MARBLE HILL MISSOURI TO VIENNA ILLINOIS TO GREENVILLE KENTUCKY.
TRAVEL WILL BE HAZARDOUS IN THESE AREAS. NORTHERLY WINDS AT 10 TO
20 MPH...WITH GUSTS TO 25 MPH...WILL CAUSE SOME BLOWING AND
DRIFTING SNOW. ONE TO TWO INCHES OF SNOW WILL BE POSSIBLE ALONG
AND NORTH OF A LINE FROM PERRYVILLE MISSOURI TO CARBONDALE
ILLINOIS TO DIXON AND CALHOUN KENTUCKY. SNOWFALL SHOULD TAPER OFF
BY MID MORNING.

WIND CHILLS WILL BE IN THE SINGLE DIGITS THROUGHOUT THE REGION AT
TIMES TODAY AND INTO TONIGHT...WITH SOME LOCATIONS REACHING
NEAR ZERO.

NOW THROUGH 8 AM...LIGHT TO MODERATE SNOW WILL CONTINUE TO DEVELOP AND
INCREASE IN COVERAGE AND INTENSITY ACROSS MUCH OF THE REGION. SNOW
RATES WILL INCREASE TO A HALF INCH OR SO AN HOUR IN SOME AREAS.
MOTORISTS SHOULD EXERCISE CAUTION ON AREA ROADWAYS THIS MORNING. WITH
TEMPERATURES IN THE UPPER TEENS TO LOWER 20S...ROADS WILL QUICKLY
BECOME SICK AND HAZARDOUS.

...SNOW ADVISORY IN EFFECT UNTIL 9 AM CST THIS MORNING...

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN PADUCAH HAS ISSUED A SNOW
ADVISORY...WHICH IS IN EFFECT UNTIL 9 AM CST THIS MORNING.

LIGHT TO MODERATE SNOW WILL SPREAD ACROSS THE AREA EARLY THIS
MORNING...THAN TAPER OFF AROUND MID MORNING. SNOWFALL
ACCUMULATIONS WILL AVERAGE ONE TO TWO INCHES...WITH LOCAL AMOUNTS
OF UP TO THREE INCHES POSSIBLE. MOTORISTS SHOULD EXERCISE CAUTION
THIS MORNING...AS ROADWAYS WILL BECOME SLICK AND HAZARDOUS.

A SNOW ADVISORY MEANS THAT PERIODS OF SNOW WILL CAUSE PRIMARILY
TRAVEL DIFFICULTIES. BE PREPARED FOR SNOW COVERED ROADS AND
LIMITED VISIBILITIES...AND USE CAUTION WHILE DRIVING.

AvalancheDriver
mayor al
Fire Safety Admin
RE: Trip Report-Glee Club Owensboro KY Feb. 2006 2006/02/18 08:30:26 (permalink)

National weather service for Louisville and Owensboro says light snow, less than an inch at those two locations, with more to the south, ending by NOON. We will leave here about 11:00 AM to head to Owensboro.
Sundancer just called me from I-64 as he progresses west from Louisville. He reports light snow with some on the road.
Be Careful, We'll see you there.
enginecapt
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3486
RE: Trip Report-Glee Club Owensboro KY Feb. 2006 2006/02/18 08:54:22 (permalink)
Dang that Hot Brown looks good.
mayor al
Fire Safety Admin
RE: Trip Report-Glee Club Owensboro KY Feb. 2006 2006/02/18 22:12:04 (permalink)

QUICK BULLETIN-- 10 PM
Photo's to be added by Morning. All went well, We had 29 folks enjoy the heck out of a great visit to the Moonlite. Pat Bosley took groups on tours of the facility and we ate everything in sight.
More to follow.
AL
Poverty Pete
RE: Trip Report-Glee Club Owensboro KY Feb. 2006 2006/02/19 08:17:17 (permalink)
OK, I'll go first. I will get to the food, but to begin with, being a Glee Club plankowner, I'd like to say that this was the best meeting yet. If only Pogo had made it, it would have been perfect...well, except for the weather.
On to the food. The burgoo was good, but too salty. I liked the slaw, but not the potato salad. On the hot line, corn and broccoli casserole were very good. Of the meats, I liked the mutton better than on previous visits, but I still prefer the beef. I thought the best meat was the pork rib. If you were fortunate enough to grab one of the catfishes from the night before, you get extra points. The catfish alone was worth the price of admission. Rhubarb pie is uncommon, especially without strawberries. They did a fine job with it, and the custard was good.
If I were a judge, I would award best of show to Al and Janet for all their hard work, and the runner-up would be our host, Pat, for his tolerance and patience.
On a personal note, I would like to thank Louis for donating a copy of his Duncan Hines recipe book, which fell to me in the doorprizes, and Fred Sauceman for the ramp jam, which I have never heard of, but looking forward to trying. In general, I thought the doorprizes were imaginative and much appreciated.
Oneiron, I hope you like the burger at Buster's, on your way home.
Louis
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 725
RE: Trip Report-Glee Club Owensboro KY Feb. 2006 2006/02/19 08:57:27 (permalink)
I had a great time, too. Glad you are enjoying the book, Pete. For those who don't know, Pete's book is a hardback reprint of the 1955 edition of "Adventures in Good Cooking," which is comprised of hundreds of stupendously good (and rich) recipes from the restaurants that Duncan Hines made famous in the 1930s and 1940s in his annual restaurant guidebook ("Adventures in Good Eating") when he was serving the function that Jane and Michael Stern do for us today. It's interesting if you'd like to see what people were eating in restaurants back then; many of the dishes included in it are hard to find today. If anyone is interested in getting a copy of Pete's book, or the other book I offered as a door prize, "Duncan Hines' Dessert Book," let me know and I'll get you the information to get a copy for yourself. Anyway, the Moonlite festivities were over way too soon. I'll try to make myself available for another one of these events if I can get away. In the meantime, I'm going to have my doorprizes for breakfast: Poverty Pete's bacon, and Sundancer's cajun coffee. I'm sure I won't be disappointed!
mayor al
Fire Safety Admin
RE: Trip Report-Glee Club Owensboro KY Feb. 2006 2006/02/19 11:15:18 (permalink)
Sunday Morning
Tbe Bushie's and the Bowen's are meeting Seafaer John and Gail for a Brunch at Claudia Sander's Dinner House in Shelbyville, KY. This will give Seafaer a chance to enjoy a "send-off" as he and his wife head back to the rigors of life in the frozen Northeast !! (The air temperature here this morning is 9 degrees!!!)

Full report will appear shortly.
pcdiva
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 591
RE: Trip Report-Glee Club Owensboro KY Feb. 2006 2006/02/19 11:24:50 (permalink)
What a wonderful way to spend a few hours!
Louis - it was great talking with you over our meal. I'll head over to your website for the books!
Al and Janet - Thank you so very much for being our gracious MCs and making me feel so very welcome.
Sundancer - careful around that popcorn! Thanks for making my evening at the Brown hotel truly memorable!
I had such a great time talking with all of you! Next time we'll have to switch around so we can meet up with new people more "in depth"

I liked the Burgoo - still can't tell how it's different from Brunswick Stew.
I thought the mutton was great, very tender and didn't need any extra sauce.
Fried apples were my dessert and they were great, not all syrupy, just baked through. YUM.

I hope all who are travelling have a safe journey home. I didn't make it to the Beaver Dam cafe this morning, the demolition derby in the hotel parking lot made it too hard to sleep last night! I'll be thinking about the wonderful time I had all the way home tomorrow!

Hugs,
Alice
Sundancer7
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 13475
RE: Trip Report-Glee Club Owensboro KY Feb. 2006 2006/02/19 13:19:58 (permalink)
I sincerely cannot tell all of you that attended the Moonlite BBQ. It was super meeting all of you.

I am very proud that Fred SaucemanS atteneded our event.

As always, it was super to see Bushie, Mrs. Bushie, Al and Janet, my first visit with Seafarer and Mrs Seafarer who indicated that he was glad to see that I did not have horns, One iron and Debbie, Ians mom and all the rest of you.

These types of events add to the wonderful social events that occur in the world. I am just glad to be a part of them.

I am sorry that I could not hang around for the door prizes last evening. I wannago had a flight out of Nashville and we had to depart a little early.

Those that may have got some of my door prizes, I hope you enjoy.

I wish to say that the Roadfood group is super. I am glad to see it grow from 5 to 11 to better than 30. Somehow, I believe it will grow to 50 next year.

Mr. Mayor, thanks to you, this event worked out super. The Moonlite was great and their veggies, BBQ and desserts was outstanding. thanks to your contriubution..

The event was super and so was you and Janet.

Bushie, I wish I could have spent more time with you. Your Hawaiian. shirt looked great with your undershirts

To the rest of you, thanks for attending. I personally enjoyed my visitation with each and every one of you.

I wish I knew where we were going next year??????

Is Dreamaland in Huntsville a possibility???

Love all of you.

Paul E. Smith
knoxville, TN
roossy90
Sirloin
RE: Trip Report-Glee Club Owensboro KY Feb. 2006 2006/02/19 13:25:30 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Sundancer7

Is Dreamalnd in Huntsville a possibility???

Love all of you.

Paul E. Smith
knoxville, TN

If it is, or anywhere in the S.E., I would love to attend!
Tara
(Just what exactly is a Hot Brown Sandwich?)
Sundancer7
Fire Safety Admin
RE: Trip Report-Glee Club Owensboro KY Feb. 2006 2006/02/19 13:41:39 (permalink)
I think that the Kentucky Hot brown at the Brown Hotel is more of a casserole than a sandwich. I think that it was overspiced but extremely tasty. I enjoyed it very much with my roadfood friends.

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN
roossy90
Sirloin
RE: Trip Report-Glee Club Owensboro KY Feb. 2006 2006/02/19 13:43:51 (permalink)
http://recipestoday.com/recipes/sandwich/kentuckyhotbrown.htm

I found this online?????
Poverty Pete
RE: Trip Report-Glee Club Owensboro KY Feb. 2006 2006/02/19 13:45:02 (permalink)
Paul, there is actually already circulating a rumor that the next Glee Club convention could be ... held... ( I nearly said brought to order, but we all know that's not likely) in Austin. Bushie, how are your organizational skills?
Sundancer7
Fire Safety Admin
RE: Trip Report-Glee Club Owensboro KY Feb. 2006 2006/02/19 14:11:46 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by BuddyRoadhouse

quote:
Originally posted by Sundancer7

...with my roadfood fiends.

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN

Not to overanalyze Paul, but what are you implying here?

I am not sure what you are implying but I assure you that nothing was intended to make any of my roadfood friends feel bad. Please indicate what your thoughs were her. I assure you that I do nothing to offend any of our friends.

I look forward to hearing your comments.

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN
Tumbleweed365
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 185
RE: Trip Report-Glee Club Owensboro KY Feb. 2006 2006/02/19 15:54:29 (permalink)
Ahh, fantastic food, putting new faces to familiar names, wonderful hosts, and meeting so many great people, life doesn't get any better!
I loved the mutton, and the Buttermilk pie was to die for.
Thanks to Pat Bosley for all the tours,that smoker is a wonder!
Al and Janet, job WELL done!!!!
Page: << < ..1112131415 > Showing page 13 of 15
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1