Trip Report-Glee Club Owensboro KY Feb. 2006

Page: << < ..1112131415 > Showing page 14 of 15
Author
Oneiron339
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 2075
RE: Trip Report-Glee Club Owensboro KY Feb. 2006 2006/02/19 18:18:03 (permalink)
Back in the real world! We made it to ATL this afternoon after touring the Corvette Museum in Bowling Green, KY. We just wanted to say how much we enjoyed the procedings in Louisville and Owensboro. Al - Debbie will be sending her pictures to you.
On to the food. I can agree with most of the comments about the food here. I liked the ribs better than the other meats, although they were all good and very tender. Personally, I think brisket should be BBQ'd with oak or mesquite to give it more of a "twang", but it was still good. Debbie preferred the salads and desserts. Burgoo tasted like a mild Brunswick Stew to me. The people, and the festivities made the event nonetheless.
The Hot Brown was good, but I won't drive 6 1/2 hours again for a sandwich. But again, the group made the event! Al lied about the no precipitation forecast, so Debbie will be sending him her car detailing fee.
Poverty - we didn't make it to Buster's - too early in the day. Will try next time.
My vote is already cast for Austin for next year - same weekend!

To all who attended - thanks for making this an enjoyable weekend.
To all who missed - TS
To Al who did all the work - I don't care what Bushie says about you -you're alright by me.
mayor al
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 15222
RE: Trip Report-Glee Club Owensboro KY Feb. 2006 2006/02/19 21:14:44 (permalink)
Here is the summary of the Saturday and Sunday activities surrounding the Glle Club Meeting!

Despite a cold and snowy start to the day Saturday allmost all of the folks who planned to attend were able to make it to Owensboro by noon or so. By that time the Sun was shining although it was still only in the teens , temperature-wise.
The folks at the Moonlite welcomed us at about 2:30 pm (early!) to allow for moving some tables and setting up the door prizes etc. Fred Sauceman provided a Certificate of membership for all participants to show they were part of the Glee Club.

The room filled up rapidly after 3PM and folks made the rounds introducing themselves and getting settled. Pat Bosley led small groups on tours of the kitchen area and smokers before and after the meal. He also donated a bunch of Moonlite caps for everyone to share. Thanks Pat for a great visit.
Here are large chunks of Mutton about finished with their time in the smoker.

The Mutton seemed to be a big favorite this week and the new Soft-Serve ice cream is Outstanding!

We got everyone (I hope) into the room to do a round of introductions and thanks for the facility use etc. On the left in the red shirt is 6-Star, in the front in the blue dress shirt is Louis, across the table is PCDiva, In the Purple shirt is Z66Butch, Avalanche Driver is in the left rear, Hubert and Janice are friends of Pov Pete, Then Jill and Fred Sauceman, and finally The Bushies.

Butch and Mrs enjoy some great BBQ

Sundancer discusses the Session with Gail and John (Seafarer)

The Mayor was assisted by 6-Star's helper in delivering the door prizes. People seemed quite happy with the gifts. They ranged from recipe collections, some Panko, Country Bacon, and Fresh made maple syrup.

Apparently something Sundancer said caught the One-Iron family off-guard. They had to grab napkins... Wonder what was said???

Fred Sauceman shows off his doorprize, a compliation of hundreds of recipes from the Roadfood Website. What a great prize...and a labor of love for the recipe collector (6-Star)

On Sunday some of the travelers (Bushies, Mayor and Seafarer's met at Claudia Sanders Chicken Dinner House in Shelbyville to say farewell. As we sat down, in walked Fred and Jill Sauceman, who then joined us for Brunch. Our Brunch included some pretty good Roast Beef, Mrs Sanders Chicken and for me some great Harvard Beets!!

Seafarer had added a bottle of Buffalo Trace Bourbon to his collection at that point.

As we left we took one last photo to remember the good time had at both meetings. Here we are Sunday afternoon.

Despite the weather at the start is appeared that everyone attending enjoyed themselves. Debbie One-Iron has sent me some photos and I will attempt to get them posted also shortly. We have heard from a number of folks who announced they arrived home safely and that makes this Glee Club Concert a resounding Success.

tiki
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4140
RE: Trip Report-Glee Club Owensboro KY Feb. 2006 2006/02/19 21:33:17 (permalink)
Man oh man i really wish i was there!!!! And as fot next year--i vote for Austin!!!time for brisket and sausage!! Oh and btw Oneiron---try using pecan to smoke that brisket!!!--Wonderful!!
wanderingjew
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 7751
RE: Trip Report-Glee Club Owensboro KY Feb. 2006 2006/02/19 21:47:27 (permalink)
Looks like a great time was had by all. Wish I was there too!
mayor al
Fire Safety Admin
RE: Trip Report-Glee Club Owensboro KY Feb. 2006 2006/02/19 22:12:52 (permalink)

WJ
The folks who received your door-prizes asked about uses for the coffee-syrup. Someone (I forget who) said that it makes the best coffee milk shakes!! At that point the recipients hid the bottles so no-one else would try to 'barter' for them !
sauceman
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 184
RE: Trip Report-Glee Club Owensboro KY Feb. 2006 2006/02/20 10:06:10 (permalink)
A Moonlite-buffet-sized thank you to Al and everyone who had a part in organizing a joyful get-together in Owensboro Saturday. This was the first Roadfood event Jill and I have attended, and we couldn't have enjoyed it more. The single-digit temperatures made it all the more meaningful. We were thrilled with the compilation of Roadfood.com recipes so skillfully assembled and edited by 6star. We sat by the (indoor) pool and went through the entire book after the "reunion."

Mutton barbecue in Owensboro has heretofore represented a big hole in my barbecue education, but now, thanks to the patient and detailed explanations by Pat Bosley at the Moonlite, I have a clearer understanding of this barbecue tradition.

Thanks to Al and the gang for squeezing us in at Claudia Sanders' Dinner House in Shelbyville on Sunday. We'll be making that country ham salad soon.

On the way back home, Jill and I were discussing future sights for "Glee Club" events, and we both said the Austin, Texas, area would be great. A place like Kreuz Market in Lockhart could accommodate us easily.

Thanks again for a fine trip. From a Bob's Burger in Kingston, Tennessee, to a Friday afternoon stop for bacon and country ham on the farm at Father's in Bremen, Kentucky, to a fried chicken dinner at the Bon Ton Mini Mart that evening in Henderson, then the Moonlite on Saturday and Claudia Sanders the next day, it was indeed a filling and fulfilling weekend.

Fred Sauceman
mayor al
Fire Safety Admin
RE: Trip Report-Glee Club Owensboro KY Feb. 2006 2006/02/20 13:17:32 (permalink)
Never ones to know when to quit....This morning we had to take the Bushies to the airport for their return trip home to Austin.
Twice in the past We have tried to fit a visit to Lynn's Paradise Cafe in Louisville into the agenda for Bushie, but were forced to drop the plan due to the very heavy traffic at Lynns on most weekend days...when Bushie was here . Well today we decided to get over there early (8:30am) and it turned out to be the right thing to do. There were only a few folks out, apparently due to the cold and the holiday schedule for businesses. We had the place pretty much to ourselves.

Bushie and Mrs Bushie shared a fine Country-Ham Steak and some great Pancakes with a side of CheeseGrits.

while we stayed with the French Toast and Eggs Specials.

Then it was off to the airport to say our goodbyes. This goes out to the whole group who made this weekend such a fun event. We really enjoy these get-togethers, and hope that there will be more of them in the future.

Z66 Butch
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 199
RE: Trip Report-Glee Club Owensboro KY Feb. 2006 2006/02/20 20:18:58 (permalink)
We just made it home from a wonderful weekend! Thanks Mayor for hosting this, it was a blast! It was great meeting people with the same interests as us, EATING! I want to give a special thank you to 6 Star for the wonderful gift of FRESH maple sirup (as they spell it). He made a special trip on Friday to pick it up and it was still warm as they had just packaged it! We spent Sunday with our daughter and her family in Tennessee and offered to make pancakes so we could try it out but it was voted down for a more traditional supper. I will be looking for some recipes to use some of it in.

pcdiva: We wondered what happened to you!

Now, since I received my certificate to "The West Tennessee Glee Club" and I am an "OFFICIAL MEMBER" can you explain how this club came about, how it got it's name and what my responsibilities and benefits are?

Butch
Adjudicator
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5065
RE: Trip Report-Glee Club Owensboro KY Feb. 2006 2006/02/20 20:31:54 (permalink)
As always great pics. Great food (obviously) & great times / memories to share. Although I considered the trek; unfortunately not possible @ that time. Maybe later.
Poverty Pete
  • Total Posts : 2295
RE: Trip Report-Glee Club Owensboro KY Feb. 2006 2006/02/20 21:17:08 (permalink)
Butch, I would be happy to explain to you all the intricacies of membership in the Glee Club. The proper setting for such a conversation is sitting either at a breakfast table, while judging the saltiness and overall quality of a country ham, or over a pint or two of ale, with a selection of fine cheeses accompanying. I happen to know of just such places. Please contact me at your earliest convenience. You're welcome to bring Murray and Tammie with you. Otherwise, I'll have to go through the whole routine again.
Z66 Butch
Cheeseburger
RE: Trip Report-Glee Club Owensboro KY Feb. 2006 2006/02/20 22:09:44 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Poverty Pete

Butch, I would be happy to explain to you all the intricacies of membership in the Glee Club. The proper setting for such a conversation is sitting either at a breakfast table, while judging the saltiness and overall quality of a country ham, or over a pint or two of ale, with a selection of fine cheeses accompanying. I happen to know of just such places. Please contact me at your earliest convenience. You're welcome to bring Murray and Tammie with you. Otherwise, I'll have to go through the whole routine again.

We will schedule an appointment soon!

Butch
lleechef
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6751
RE: Trip Report-Glee Club Owensboro KY Feb. 2006 2006/02/20 23:15:07 (permalink)
Great pictures! You all had a great time.

Who won The Best Smile Award this year???? Oh, it was probably Bushie.
6star
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4388
RE: Trip Report-Glee Club Owensboro KY Feb. 2006 2006/02/20 23:44:32 (permalink)
We got home at 5 o'clock tonight from the fantastic weekend highlighted by the Glee Club Meeting. Thank you so much Mayor for the superbly organized extravaganza. It was so wonderful to finally meet and talk to all the people that I have "conversed with" on this site over the past couple of years. And I really appreciate how my friend and "helper" (who helped keep me alert on the long drive) was included in all the festivities. Thank you so much Sundancer and OneIrons for our door prizes; they look delicious and will be enjoyed very much. (OneIrons, I had never heard of orange-glazed pecans before, and with orange being my favorite flavor, I am going to have to ration them so I don't gobble them all down this week.) I was amazed at the size of the operation at the Moonlight, as I had (wrongly) assumed that it was just a restaurant, and appreciated the tour. The buffet was fantastic and afterwards my "helper" said he had eaten so much that his "six-pack" had turned into a "barrel" and it would take him at least a week of exercise to get his "six-pack" back! sauceman and Butch, I appreciate your kind words on the door prizes. Since I had never attended a meet, eat and greet before, I was not sure what the most "appropriate" door prizes would be, so I am happy you enjoyed them. Well I have probably rambled on too much, so thanks everyone for an enjoyable evening.
Poverty Pete
  • Total Posts : 2295
RE: Trip Report-Glee Club Owensboro KY Feb. 2006 2006/02/21 00:27:05 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by lleechef

Great pictures! You all had a great time.

Lisa, thanks for the door prizes. One is headed your way, as well.
mayor al
Fire Safety Admin
RE: Trip Report-Glee Club Owensboro KY Feb. 2006 2006/02/21 08:30:42 (permalink)
Lisa,

No-One will ever top the famous smile of 2004, it was so delicate and feminine. Wish you could have been there this time to share it again!
pcdiva
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 591
RE: Trip Report-Glee Club Owensboro KY Feb. 2006 2006/02/21 13:21:19 (permalink)
HM, wonder how much airfare is to Austin from Detroit???? If you couldn't tell, I'm an early planner!
Wow, what an exciting weekend. Good food shared with Great people who could ask for more? Wish I had more time to talk with Sauceman, your work with Eastern TN foods/recipes sounds really interesting!

Can't wait until next time!
Alice

aleswench
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 686
RE: Trip Report-Glee Club Owensboro KY Feb. 2006 2006/02/21 13:32:54 (permalink)
Boy oh Boy you all look like you had a great time! PCDiva - I'm planning early, too. We will be there next year come hell or high water!
Bushie
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 2902
RE: Trip Report-Glee Club Owensboro KY Feb. 2006 2006/02/21 14:42:02 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Poverty Pete

Bushie, how are your organizational skills?

Organization is my middle name!!

Actually, it's Burt. No, wait. My middle initial is "A", so that can't be it. Alfonso? I'll have to get back to you on that...

Wow, what a great weekend! Seeing good friends, meeting new ones, great food, great conversation, great times.

Special thanks to Al and Janet for their unending hospitality.

It all ended too soon. Everyone, if you have a chance to attend any one of the Roadfood get-togethers, you really should go. It's good in so many ways.

As for next year, it sounds like Austin may be the leading contender. It that's the plan, we'll make sure it's worth the trip. I'd say we'd want to make it something that would run over the course of 2 or 3 days, with multiple events.

Whatever we do, I'm looking forward to the next Glee Club event!!!!

Sundancer7
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 13480
RE: Trip Report-Glee Club Owensboro KY Feb. 2006 2006/02/21 15:56:48 (permalink)
Austin works for me but it may be a little far out for others. If Austin is selected, I gotta tell you that Salt lick was super. Bushie your thoughts are there.

I wish I could have stayed later for the door prize but Iwannago had flight commitments.

It was super seeing all my Roadfood friends. I wish Lisa could have been there but it was great seeing Bushie and wife, Al and wife, Fred and wife and all the others.

Wans't that a super get together. Food was super. BBQ was great but I also enjoyed the catfish. The Blackberry cobbler and ice cream was also great.

I am in Lansing Michigan at this moment ane and believe it or not, it is warm. I gotta quit working pretty soon!!!!!!!

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN
Bushie
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 2902
RE: Trip Report-Glee Club Owensboro KY Feb. 2006 2006/02/21 16:09:14 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by lleechef

Yeah, they caught me bending over, too, but my shot was from the rear!!

Oh, well, it was nice getting the award, though.
seafarer john
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3481
RE: Trip Report-Glee Club Owensboro KY Feb. 2006 2006/02/21 19:56:59 (permalink)
Made good our escape from Kentucky on Sunday afternoon and arrived back here in God's country (New Paltz) at about 4 this afternoon .We had a great time meeting a whole lot of new folks and sharing a terrific meal (s) with them.
More later.

Cheers, John
Sundancer7
Fire Safety Admin
RE: Trip Report-Glee Club Owensboro KY Feb. 2006 2006/02/22 07:42:10 (permalink)
All: I am in Lansing after our trip to Louisville, Owensboro and Nashville, I ate at Smokey Bones last evening their they ain't very good. Dry ribs and awful fries.

Sorry and just my opinion.

The hot brown in Louisville was super. It was a little small for the price but very tasty. I enjoyed the group.

The next day was even better at the Moonlite with all the great buffet opportunities, tour by Patrick and my visit with Sauceman and tour.

Al indicated that he could have had a couple more hot browns and I could have also.

Love you all.

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN
Rick F.
  • Total Posts : 1736
RE: Trip Report-Glee Club Owensboro KY Feb. 2006 2006/02/22 09:53:05 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by roossy90

quote:
Originally posted by Sundancer7

Is Dreamalnd in Huntsville a possibility???

If it is, or anywhere in the S.E., I would love to attend!
Tara
For next year, how about Alexandria, LA? This year's activity is described[url='http://www.roadfood.com/Forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=11196&SearchTerms=alexandria']here[/url], and I expect it to be repeated and improved in '07. We have another RF'er even closer to Alexandria than I am (lunasatic), and maybe she could be persuaded to participate!

Rick

P.S. I wrote this before Austin was mentioned; that would work for me as well.
lunasatic
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 283
RE: Trip Report-Glee Club Owensboro KY Feb. 2006 2006/02/22 10:18:47 (permalink)
You betcha! Limited travel is our modus operandi since a few things are less firm than they were, but we've still been known to don the bells, and this occasion would warrant!
lunasatic
Cheeseburger
RE: Trip Report-Glee Club Owensboro KY Feb. 2006 2006/02/22 10:22:09 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Rick F.

quote:
Originally posted by roossy90

quote:
Originally posted by Sundancer7

Is Dreamalnd in Huntsville a possibility???

If it is, or anywhere in the S.E., I would love to attend!
Tara
For next year, how about Alexandria, LA? This year's activity is described[url='http://www.roadfood.com/Forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=11196&SearchTerms=alexandria']here[/url], and I expect it to be repeated and improved in '07. We have another RF'er even closer to Alexandria than I am (lunasatic), and maybe she could be persuaded to participate!

Rick

P.S. I wrote this before Austin was mentioned; that would work for me as well.

Might I suggest West Side BBQ on Jackson St Ext (Alexandria, LA)? Or Robbie G's for the seafood lovers? In fact, since they're fairly side by side, we could do both! (And NEITHER are chains, not even local ones!)
lunasatic
Cheeseburger
RE: Trip Report-Glee Club Owensboro KY Feb. 2006 2006/02/22 10:23:57 (permalink)
For some reason (probably my own ineptitude), my "reply w/quote" didn't quite come out right. See the small print underneath Rick's PS above! lunasatic
tiki
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4140
RE: Trip Report-Glee Club Owensboro KY Feb. 2006 2006/02/22 11:46:23 (permalink)
Did there happen to be a Rooster on that bottle of coffee syrup???? Just used up the last of mine and have GOT to have my brother send more!!!! .....and dont just use it for milkshakes!!!---AWESOME eith ice cream and drizzled over pound cake and added to whipped cream and for egg creams!!!!
Oneiron339
  • Total Posts : 2075
RE: Trip Report-Glee Club Owensboro KY Feb. 2006 2006/02/22 16:54:28 (permalink)
OK - boys and girls! I suggest Bushie and Al get together on this, but President's Day next year is Feb. 19, which makes the Glee Club weekend the 17th. If anyone has a better date, then please offer up - but with a year's head start we should have a good crowd.
Sundancer7
Fire Safety Admin
RE: Trip Report-Glee Club Owensboro KY Feb. 2006 2006/02/23 08:10:43 (permalink)
You know? Austin or or Ricks home town would work for me. Meat pies or great beef would be super. Ricks home town would be much closer for me but the thought of beef BBQ in Bushies home town would be great also.

I did the Salt Lick with bushie last year and I have to say it was great.

Personally I do not care where we go. I have enjoyed every place we have been. Hay's in Lexington was super, Moonlite was super, Browns Hotel was super and regardless where we go, I will enjoy it.

As a moderator I will work will all to work with a site that will best encourage the most attendance and the best experience.

Sincerely and Respectfully,

Paul E. Smith
knoxville, TN
Z66 Butch
Cheeseburger
RE: Trip Report-Glee Club Owensboro KY Feb. 2006 2006/02/23 10:27:48 (permalink)
While Texas is fine, if you look for the geographical center of the lower 48 states it lies outside of Lebanon, Kansas, in the middle of a hog farm. We may not find anything READY to eat there but Kansas City is known for BBQ and not that far away from Lebanon. I am not sure what the center of the populition of the RoadFood club is or if any of this even matters........but if we want a great turn out we need to look into this.

Butch
Page: << < ..1112131415 > Showing page 14 of 15
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1