The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

Trip Report-Glee Club Owensboro KY Feb. 2006

Change Page: < 12345678910.. > >> | Showing page 3 of 15, messages 61 to 90 of 442
mayor al

• Total Posts: 15059
  • Roadfood Insider
RE: Trip Report-Glee Club Owensboro KY Feb. 2006 Mon, 10/31/05 2:48 PM (permalink)
We'll have to work on the Beer thing...don't give up the idea yet.

Sue plenty of flights either Newark to Louisville ($350+), or Philly to Louisville ($200+). There are some directs to Owensboro, but not many. I wasn't kidding when I said the Moonlite is within walking distance of the airport (1/2 mile or so on Parrish Ave).

For those wanting to get the most Bang for your Buck, If you fly into Louisville on Friday...do the Hot Brown at the Brown Hotel in town, then Saturday you would have time to visit one of the Bourbon Distilleries Saturday morning in the Bardstown area before heading to Owensboro (about 2 hours west of Louisville) The route from Bardstown KY to Owensboro takes you right past the Gold Bullion Depository at Ft Knox so you can make a withdrawl if you wish on your way to the BBQ session that afternoon. We would be happy to act as hosts for any or all of these activities.

Sundancer7

RE: Trip Report-Glee Club Owensboro KY Feb. 2006 Mon, 10/31/05 3:52 PM (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Theedge

quote:
    I got a mutton sandwich and a pork sandwich.

In looking at the link, the place looks interesting. Were the sandwiches good?

The sandwiches were super. It is their own style of BBQ and is not to be compared with any other. Hays is the best but this is different and equally good in their own way.

The place is definately a stop on your map if you can work it out.

The place is definately not on your way to anywhere but if you can arrange it, it is a neat stop.

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN

pcdiva

• Total Posts: 591
      RE: Trip Report-Glee Club Owensboro KY Feb. 2006 Mon, 10/31/05 5:08 PM (permalink)
      Sounds like a blast! I'd like to come along for the fun!!! Maybe I can even outrun a little snow from MI. Let's see, a stop in Dayton OH to see the folks for a bit, then on to meet up with a new crowd of Roadfooders! What a weekend!

Alice

Sundancer7

RE: Trip Report-Glee Club Owensboro KY Feb. 2006 Mon, 10/31/05 5:12 PM (permalink)
        quote:
        Originally posted by pcdiva

Sounds like a blast! I'd like to come along for the fun!!! Maybe I can even outrun a little snow from MI. Let's see, a stop in Dayton OH to see the folks for a bit, then on to meet up with a new crowd of Roadfooders! What a weekend!

Alice

Alice, it ain't that far and definately worth the trip.

Paul E. Smith
        Knoxville, TN

mayor al

• Roadfood Insider
          RE: Trip Report-Glee Club Owensboro KY Feb. 2006 Mon, 10/31/05 7:21 PM (permalink)

Alice,
          Like I said to Wandering Jew... Come on Down. Hopefully the weather will give us a break. We'll post a map of the best way from here to there whan we get closer to the day !! We hope you'll join us !
          AL

Oneiron339

• Total Posts: 2075
            RE: Trip Report-Glee Club Owensboro KY Feb. 2006 Tue, 11/1/05 7:12 AM (permalink)
            Tell you what, we're anxious to meet up at Moonlite, but looking at the pictures of the smoked meats and sausages from Texas the past few days, I think next year should also include a TX BBQ Roadtrip.

tiki

• Total Posts: 4135
              RE: Trip Report-Glee Club Owensboro KY Feb. 2006 Tue, 11/1/05 10:06 AM (permalink)
              quote:
              Originally posted by oneiron339

Tell you what, we're anxious to meet up at Moonlite, but looking at the pictures of the smoked meats and sausages from Texas the past few days, I think next year should also include a TX BBQ Roadtrip.

I AGREE!!! THAT one i could get to easy----and ---i think you ought all stop here in Oklahoma for breakfast at JM's in Eufalla on the way!

mayor al

• Roadfood Insider
                RE: Trip Report-Glee Club Owensboro KY Feb. 2006 Tue, 11/1/05 12:14 PM (permalink)

We'll talk of a Texas Trip in Feb. Let's get the group together at the Moonlite to sample the Mutton and Devour the rest of the BBQ.

I think the doorprize thing we did at the first Crabfest was a lot of fun. Folks contributed a small prize that represented their local area food or crafts and we drew lots for the prizes. I remember some really nice (inexpensive) items...samples of Bourbon and Burgoo, Wine, Books, utensils, and other things appeared in the 'Treasure Chest'. I am suggestinging that we do that sort of "volunteer prize exchange' at this meeting ! It will give everyone a memory to take home in addition to the full tummys we will all enjoy!

sizz

• Total Posts: 1682
                  RE: Trip Report-Glee Club Owensboro KY Feb. 2006 Tue, 11/1/05 1:02 PM (permalink)
                  On our way back to California from the East Coast, the two recent Gulf storms forced us to cross the US using I-70, and a I-64 side trip taking us to Owensboro KT.
                  Our target...Moonlite Bar-B-Q, and it was indeed a kick ... we both loved it. We had (as was recommended by our waitress) the buffet............... tried it all. It was my first time for the mutton.......... I liked it, Linda didn't, but we both like that "burgoo" soup and all of the pork and beef BBQ. The smoked ham was very much to my liking.
                  What was the most enjoyable part of Moonlite Bar-B-Q was not just the food but it's true Roadfood flavor. the people, the food, the smell, it's ambiance. When a customer sitting close to our table heard us talking, she knew we were "out of towners." She then came over to welcome us to the town of Owensboro and gave us a brief history of the place. What a wonderful experiance. These are the reasons Linda and I travel around this great country of ours. God Bless America, it's people and it's food................. Frank

Sundancer7

RE: Trip Report-Glee Club Owensboro KY Feb. 2006 Tue, 11/1/05 1:23 PM (permalink)
                    quote:
                    Originally posted by Al-The Mayor-Bowen

We'll talk of a Texas Trip in Feb. Let's get the group together at the Moonlite to sample the Mutton and Devour the rest of the BBQ.

I think the doorprize thing we did at the first Crabfest was a lot of fun. Folks contributed a small prize that represented their local area food or crafts and we drew lots for the prizes. I remember some really nice (inexpensive) items...samples of Bourbon and Burgoo, Wine, Books, utensils, and other things appeared in the 'Treasure Chest'. I am suggestinging that we do that sort of "volunteer prize exchange' at this meeting ! It will give everyone a memory to take home in addition to the full tummys we will all enjoy!

Sounds like The Mayor has another plan. I am for it and I know just the thing.

Paul E. Smith
                    Knoxville, TN

aleswench

• Total Posts: 686
                      RE: Trip Report-Glee Club Owensboro KY Feb. 2006 Tue, 11/1/05 1:27 PM (permalink)
                      I don't mean to switch the topic, but this is a factor for us: Are you serious about a Texas Trip later in the year? If it is really on the table, we would most likely not got the Moonlite, and got to New England, then later in the year go for the Texas BBQ trip. I have relatives there and I have always wanted to visit that fine state...Sue

mayor al

• Roadfood Insider
                        RE: Trip Report-Glee Club Owensboro KY Feb. 2006 Tue, 11/1/05 1:28 PM (permalink)
                        Thanks Frank. We have had the same thing happen to us...and , as you can imagine, I have interjected some local stories for visitors sitting near us at times. A German couple was having trouble deciding "buffet or menu"? I showed them my plate and told them about the mutton...They chose the buffet and shared their praise of the quality to all around them. The Bosley Family is running a great place, I think.
                        I think one of the real qualifying points in "Roadfood or Not Roadfood" is the 'attitude' you find in the place. It is way-more than 'Ambience'....It is the feeling you get when you are really comfortable in a restaurant. Moonlite BBQ, and Mr Hays Smokehouse are worlds apart in the BBQ Food business based on size, volume, and operating schedule. But to me they are both great examples of True Roadfood, the food is great and you feel welcome as soon as you step in the place.

tiki

• Total Posts: 4135
                          RE: Trip Report-Glee Club Owensboro KY Feb. 2006 Tue, 11/1/05 1:30 PM (permalink)
                          quote:

I think one of the real qualifying points in "Roadfood or Not Roadfood" is the 'attitude' you find in the place. It is way-more than 'Ambience'....It is the feeling you get when you are really comfortable in a restaurant. Moonlite BBQ, and Mr Hays Smokehouse are worlds apart in the BBQ Food business based on size, volume, and operating schedule. But to me they are both great examples of True Roadfood, the food is great and you feel welcome as soon as you step in the place.

WELL said!!!

mayor al

• Roadfood Insider
                            RE: Trip Report-Glee Club Owensboro KY Feb. 2006 Tue, 11/1/05 1:44 PM (permalink)

Aleswench- The Moonlite thing is a solid plan. If a Texas trip would be underdiscussion it would be for this time next year at the earliest. I don't see it happening before that due to the other gatherings in the works... Hot Dog Group...Crabfest 2006...The Stern's Tour.. So many stops, so little time !!

aleswench

• Total Posts: 686
                              RE: Trip Report-Glee Club Owensboro KY Feb. 2006 Tue, 11/1/05 2:04 PM (permalink)
                              Ok - got a little ahead of myself - KY is back on the blotter - the others (Hot Dog, Crabfest, New England is do-able for us because we are so close. It's getting to meet you southern boys that requires planning - and worth every minute of it! Checked out the drive time- 13 hours - not too bad if we made a long weekend of it and left Friday...(I'm talking to Bob on the phone now and ignoring him as I'm typing lol - he is jealous and said "Ok, I'll wait till you get done talking to your "boyfriend" Carry on!

Sundancer7

RE: Trip Report-Glee Club Owensboro KY Feb. 2006 Tue, 11/1/05 6:57 PM (permalink)
                                The group seems to be growing year by year. It appears that this year will be the largest by far. I do not know that all that has expressed interest will be there but I am sure it will be a larger group.

The Moonlight which is the Mayor's favorite is a special stop. It is definately a special place. It is located within driving distance of most of us and offers so much.

Thank you Mr. Mayor for introducing us to such a special place. I truly enjoyed our stop. We had 11 BBQ folks at Hays. Hays is one of the best BBQ places I have ever enjoyed. Salt Lick in Texas which Bushie introduced me to was also very special but Moonlight is different in its own way.

I hope our crowd increases to better than 20 this year. We will see.

Paul E. Smith
                                Knoxville, TN

Tom-Fl

• Total Posts: 74
                                  RE: Trip Report-Glee Club Owensboro KY Feb. 2006 Tue, 11/1/05 7:01 PM (permalink)
                                  For those folks coming in a night early ,or staying over,you might try Shady Rest ,George's,or Old Hickory-where the locals eat.

Tom

mayor al

• Location: Louisville area, Southern Indiana
                                    • Roadfood Insider
                                    RE: Trip Report-Glee Club Owensboro KY Feb. 2006 Tue, 11/1/05 7:08 PM (permalink)

All three of those places serve good BBQ and would be a good place to go. But don't underestimate Mr Bosley's Moonlite BBQ, A lot of locals seem to like it also. Add Wolf's in Evansville and Henderson to the alternatives if you're in the area.

Oneiron339

RE: Trip Report-Glee Club Owensboro KY Feb. 2006 Wed, 11/2/05 7:26 AM (permalink)
                                      I know this is way early, but my plans are to drive from ATL on Friday, stay over in Nashville, then on to Moonlite on Saturday. Somebody please give me the best burger place in Nashville on Fri. night.

Sundancer7

RE: Trip Report-Glee Club Owensboro KY Feb. 2006 Wed, 11/2/05 7:51 AM (permalink)
                                        quote:

I know this is way early, but my plans are to drive from ATL on Friday, stay over in Nashville, then on to Moonlite on Saturday. Somebody please give me the best burger place in Nashville on Fri. night.

No doubt that this requires the assistance of Poverty and Pogophiles.

Nashville is a fun place to overnight. I really like the 2nd street area.

Paul E. Smith
                                        Knoxville, TN

Sundancer7

RE: Trip Report-Glee Club Owensboro KY Feb. 2006 Wed, 11/2/05 8:41 AM (permalink)
                                          The group keeps growing. I just received word that Fred Sauceman will be attending.

I hope we have enough that we can get a private room. It appears that we will as the way I count it, we are well above the eleven we had at Hays last February.

Paul E. Smith
                                          Knoxville, TN

Poverty Pete

• Total Posts: 2266
                                            RE: Trip Report-Glee Club Owensboro KY Feb. 2006 Wed, 11/2/05 4:46 PM (permalink)
                                            quote:

I suggest you go to Rotier's on Elliston Place. Get the cheeseburger on French bread, and maybe their onion rings.

mayor al

• Roadfood Insider
                                              RE: Trip Report-Glee Club Owensboro KY Feb. 2006 Wed, 11/2/05 5:49 PM (permalink)

I wanted my 4000th post to promote participation in this special event...but missed it by a couple. Thanks to all who sent good wishes at this benchmark.

I urge any and all of you who are thinking that M A Y B E you will try to get to the gathering at the Moonlite to make an effort to do just that. The food is good, and that is important, but more important as I see it is the opportunity to 'Meet and Greet' the folks you have been interacting with here on the site. I have enjoyed meeting and getting to know many of you at other gatherings and think this will be a dandy ! So get your plans made.
                                              AL

sauceman

• Total Posts: 184
                                                RE: Trip Report-Glee Club Owensboro KY Feb. 2006 Wed, 11/2/05 8:18 PM (permalink)
                                                The Mayor and others,

When I was in Louisville back in September for the Southern Foodways Alliance's "Camp Bacon" event at The Brown, I stopped by Muth's Candies on Market Street and had my first Modjeska. I'll surely be ordering more of these caramel-drenched wonders, as well as some of the best fudge I've ever had, and the peanut brittle with popcorn.

Fred Sauceman

Sundancer7

RE: Trip Report-Glee Club Owensboro KY Feb. 2006 Wed, 11/2/05 8:25 PM (permalink)
                                                  The event is three and half months away and I am sincerely looking forward to it. It appears that the group is growing. I cannot wait.

Paul E. Smith
                                                  Knoxville, TN

mayor al

• Roadfood Insider
                                                    RE: Trip Report-Glee Club Owensboro KY Feb. 2006 Thu, 11/3/05 1:53 AM (permalink)

Fred,
                                                    I'm headed over to Market St. this weekend, will check out the sweets! That sounds great to me! Looking forward to meeting you "Live and in Person" !
                                                    AL

Oneiron339

RE: Trip Report-Glee Club Owensboro KY Feb. 2006 Thu, 11/3/05 7:36 AM (permalink)
                                                      quote:

I wanted my 4000th post to promote participation in this special event...but missed it by a couple. Thanks to all who sent good wishes at this benchmark.

I urge any and all of you who are thinking that M A Y B E you will try to get to the gathering at the Moonlite to make an effort to do just that. The food is good, and that is important, but more important as I see it is the opportunity to 'Meet and Greet' the folks you have been interacting with here on the site. I have enjoyed meeting and getting to know many of you at other gatherings and think this will be a dandy ! So get your plans made.
                                                      AL

Al, 4000 posts, nice going. How many roadfood meals is that?

Art Deco

• Total Posts: 888
                                                        • Location: Nashville, TN
                                                        RE: Trip Report-Glee Club Owensboro KY Feb. 2006 Thu, 11/3/05 9:51 AM (permalink)
                                                        quote:
                                                        Originally posted by Poverty Pete

quote:

I suggest you go to Rotier's on Elliston Place. Get the cheeseburger on French bread, and maybe their onion rings.

I agree with Steve's recommendation, though I would add that you should ask for a chocolate milk shake to go with (not on the menu). Other possibilities for good burgers are Brown's Diner and Fat Mo's (takeout only). Bobbi's Dairy Dip makes a good one, but I believe they are closed for the season. Though I've not been in several years, I have always enjoyed the burgers at Sportsman's Grille too...

Sundancer7

RE: Trip Report-Glee Club Owensboro KY Feb. 2006 Sun, 11/6/05 8:47 AM (permalink)
                                                          Come on February. I have looked forward to this event for the last few years. It is growing and I cannot wait to chow down on some Kentucky mutton and their delicious buffet.

I cannot wait to visit with the Mayor and Janet, Bushie and his wife, Pogophiles, Poverty Pete, I wanna go, and others. This will be fun and it is only about a 100 days to go.

Paul E. Smith
                                                          Knoxville, TN

Poverty Pete

• Total Posts: 2266
                                                            • Location: Nashville, TN
                                                            RE: Trip Report-Glee Club Owensboro KY Feb. 2006 Sun, 11/6/05 8:59 AM (permalink)
                                                            I'm going up to Evansville next Saturday to start making arrangements for a commemorative lager and pizza party on Friday night, the 17th.

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark
                                                              Change Page: < 12345678910.. > >> | Showing page 3 of 15, messages 61 to 90 of 442

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                                              • No New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/ New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/o New Messages
                                                              • Read Message
                                                              • Post New Thread
                                                              • Reply to message
                                                              • Post New Poll
                                                              • Submit Vote
                                                              • Post reward post
                                                              • Delete my own posts
                                                              • Delete my own threads
                                                              • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                                              What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com