The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

Trip Report-Glee Club Owensboro KY Feb. 2006

Change Page: < 12345678910.. > >> | Showing page 4 of 15, messages 91 to 120 of 442
Sundancer7

RE: Trip Report-Glee Club Owensboro KY Feb. 2006 Sun, 11/6/05 9:07 AM (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Poverty Pete

I'm going up to Evansville next Saturday to start making arrangements for a commemorative lager and pizza party on Friday night, the 17th.

Poverty, I like the way you plan 100 days in advance. That tells me you are pretty serious. I plan on enjoying some serious beer. I like it cold.

Can't wait to see you and our buddies.

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN

Poverty Pete

• Total Posts: 2266
    RE: Trip Report-Glee Club Owensboro KY Feb. 2006 Sun, 11/6/05 9:50 AM (permalink)
    Paul, a good lager needs about 35-40 days in the tank. It's not something you can make on short notice. Besides, my buddy still doesn't know what I've got in mind. I have to break the news to him that I'd like to have the use of one of his fermenters for that period of time. It may take a while to work it into his brewing schedule. I still can't say for sure that this will work out.

Sundancer7

RE: Trip Report-Glee Club Owensboro KY Feb. 2006 Sun, 11/6/05 10:00 AM (permalink)
      Poverty, you are a good salesman and I am sure that your buddy will allow you to use his facility espcially if you agree to let him sell your special recipe.

Please fill us in on what it will be. I am very anxious to know.

Paul E. Smith
      Knoxville, TN

mayor al

• Total Posts: 15062
        • Roadfood Insider
        RE: Trip Report-Glee Club Owensboro KY Feb. 2006 Mon, 11/7/05 4:03 PM (permalink)

So far it is looking like a really nice gathering. The rough count is 24(+) now and growing. It seems like a long way off, but these holidays will slip by quickly (as always) and the February 'Blahhhs' will be upon us. The food will be great, and the conversation even better! Start thinking of a Door-Prize to put in the drawing pot for this one. Ask any of the Crabfester's how much fun they were at the Baltimore get together!!

Sundancer7

RE: Trip Report-Glee Club Owensboro KY Feb. 2006 Mon, 11/7/05 4:20 PM (permalink)
          Al, I was not at the Crabfest. What do you suggest. Should we bring a whole bunch of stuff?

Paul E. Smith
          Knoxville, TN

mayor al

• Roadfood Insider
            RE: Trip Report-Glee Club Owensboro KY Feb. 2006 Tue, 11/8/05 11:53 AM (permalink)

RE- Door Prizes

The Baltimore thing was ok with the prizes. We made it a last minute kind of idea, so not everyone had the chance to contribute. Several people donated a bunch of prizes. Each person attending received a number, and when the number was drawn a prize from the pile of donations was awarded. There was a lot of trading around between prize-holders after the prizes were given out. It appeared to be a lot of fun. I would hope that's what could happen here, with enough advance planning is that everyone attending would bring in a prize, put it in the pile and then receive something different as an award when the numbers are called. Typical prizes seen at the Crabfest were Hot Sauces, Bottles of wine, Books by the Sterns and by the author of the Food Finds show who attended the event, a bag of 5 lbs of Hickory Chunks, some Kentucky Bourbon Samples, A can of Burgoo,.... sorry my memory runs dry... anyone else who recalls more examples , please post them.
            All in all it was a fun thing to do! The item needn't be expensive, but should represent something to do with Road-- or Regional--food.

Z66 Butch

• Total Posts: 198
              RE: Trip Report-Glee Club Owensboro KY Feb. 2006 Mon, 11/14/05 10:36 PM (permalink)
              So you guys do GTG! (Get Together) It to far off to say for sure if we can make it or not but I am keeping a eye on this thread. Maybe there needs to be another forum page just for GTG's!

Butch

mayor al

• Roadfood Insider
                RE: Trip Report-Glee Club Owensboro KY Feb. 2006 Thu, 11/17/05 9:40 AM (permalink)

Butch,
                Why not plan to join the fun on President's Day weekend. You won't find a friendlier group gathered for a good dinner anywhere else on the web !!

Z66 Butch

RE: Trip Report-Glee Club Owensboro KY Feb. 2006 Thu, 11/17/05 10:33 AM (permalink)
                  quote:
                  Originally posted by Al-The Mayor-Bowen

Butch,
                  Why not plan to join the fun on President's Day weekend. You won't find a friendlier group gathered for a good dinner anywhere else on the web !!

Thanks for the personal invite! Put us down, weather and health permitting we will be there. Another online group that I am involved with just had a GTG there this past weekend and we were not able to attend, we do have friends in the Owensboro area, maybe I can talk them into coming along if that is OK.............

Butch

Sundancer7

RE: Trip Report-Glee Club Owensboro KY Feb. 2006 Thu, 11/17/05 1:13 PM (permalink)
                    quote:
                    Originally posted by Z66 Butch

quote:

Butch,

Thanks for the personal invite! Put us down, weather and health permitting we will be there. Another online group that I am involved with just had a GTG there this past weekend and we were not able to attend, we do have friends in the Owensboro area, maybe I can talk them into coming along if that is OK.............

Butch

Butch, bring your buddies. The more, the merrier.

Paul E. Smith
                    Knoxville, TN

Oneiron339

• Total Posts: 2075
                      RE: Trip Report-Glee Club Owensboro KY Feb. 2006 Fri, 11/18/05 7:23 AM (permalink)
                      I corresponded w/ Patrick Bosley the owner of Moonlite. He is ready for us. Looks like a respectable number of folks will be participating. I'm anxious and Mrs. Oneiron will be ready with the camera.

Sundancer7

RE: Trip Report-Glee Club Owensboro KY Feb. 2006 Fri, 11/18/05 8:06 AM (permalink)
                        Anybody got a count of the number of folks that will show up? Last time I counted we were way ahead of last years meet.

Owensboro is a little more convenient for some of the midwest folks. It is about the same drive for me. As it appears at this point, I will be driving to Louisville to meet a friend that I have not seen in a long time and perhaps meet Al and Janet for some hot brown and then the following day, make my way over to Owensboro. I look forward to the long route along the river. Perhaps Al can point out the prettiest drive.

I look forward to Poverty Petes brew, the fellowship and the huge buffet. This time I will try the Burgoo.

Paul E. Smith
                        Knoxville, TN

mayor al

• Roadfood Insider
                          RE: Trip Report-Glee Club Owensboro KY Feb. 2006 Fri, 11/18/05 10:13 AM (permalink)

Paul,

I went back thru these posts and count 25...including a couple that "may" be able to make it....and a couple who "may" bring relatives or friends. Neighbors, relatives and friends are certainly welcome ! Our celebration will begin with the arrival of Bushie and Mrs. Bushie in Louisville Thursday evening. Anyone else coming in early let us know and perhaps a Hot-Brown stop Friday would be a good thing. For you Baseball Fans a stop at the Louisville Slugger Museum is a great place too! Poverty Pete is working on the creation of a special brew for the event also.

We encourage everyone who would like to share a fun afternoon (or weekend!) to consider joining in the fun. We also urge everyone who would like to attend to let us know so we can ask Mr Bosley at the Moonlite BBQ to have enough seating space for all involved. Also Please bring an item of local or regional interest to contribute to the door-prize pool.

More info will follow as we get closer to the event date in February!

Sundancer7

RE: Trip Report-Glee Club Owensboro KY Feb. 2006 Fri, 11/18/05 10:55 AM (permalink)
                            Al, I think the number of 25 is super. We have gone from 5 to 12 to at least 25. I think that is super. My guess is that we will far exceed 25. this place is too super to miss and is so handy for the midwest.

I have got my gift and I plan on adding on to it. I got some Dreamland BBQ sauce plus I plan on adding some Applebarn goodies. I am glad that Bushie and wife will be there.

Are we on for some hot brown in Louisville?

Paul E. Smith
                            Knoxville, TN

Bushie

• Total Posts: 2902
                              RE: Trip Report-Glee Club Owensboro KY Feb. 2006 Fri, 11/18/05 12:18 PM (permalink)
                              Let's fill that place to the brim!! We could have a contest to guess how many times they have to replenish the buffet for our group.

Z66 Butch

RE: Trip Report-Glee Club Owensboro KY Feb. 2006 Fri, 11/18/05 1:03 PM (permalink)
                                quote:
                                Originally posted by Bushie

Let's fill that place to the brim!! We could have a contest to guess how many times they have to replenish the buffet for our group.

And maybe a prize or gift for the member who brings the most people with them! i can get a few to attend I bet.........

Butch

mayor al

• Roadfood Insider
                                  RE: Trip Report-Glee Club Owensboro KY Feb. 2006 Fri, 11/18/05 1:37 PM (permalink)

Sheesch Butch.... we've got 10 kids (all but one married) and 21 grandkids within a couple of hours of Owensboro...I'd be accused of "stuffing the ballot box" !!

Sundancer7

RE: Trip Report-Glee Club Owensboro KY Feb. 2006 Fri, 11/18/05 1:42 PM (permalink)
                                    quote:

Sheesch Butch.... we've got 10 kids (all but one married) and 21 grandkids within a couple of hours of Owensboro...I'd be accused of "stuffing the ballot box" !!

Al, that would be very funny

I would truly enjoy seeing your family crush the buffet

I guess that we would never be welcome at the Moonlite again.

Paul E. Smith
                                    Knoxville, TN

Z66 Butch

RE: Trip Report-Glee Club Owensboro KY Feb. 2006 Fri, 11/18/05 2:01 PM (permalink)
                                      quote:

I would not mind you winning a gift IF you were the one bringing the most guests.............I have a lot of friends...............

Butch

mayor al

• Location: Louisville area, Southern Indiana
                                        • Roadfood Insider
                                        RE: Trip Report-Glee Club Owensboro KY Feb. 2006 Fri, 11/18/05 2:59 PM (permalink)

I don't think we will be the top of the group this time. Only a couple of my boys show any interest in Roadfood, despite all my efforts. We MAY have a couple with us for a toal of 4 (or maybe 6) for the MAYOR'S contribution to the group. However many, it will be a good time!

Z66 Butch

RE: Trip Report-Glee Club Owensboro KY Feb. 2006 Fri, 11/18/05 3:21 PM (permalink)
                                          As I am new to this group, what kind of gifts do you suggest for the door-prize pool?

Butch

Bushie

RE: Trip Report-Glee Club Owensboro KY Feb. 2006 Fri, 11/18/05 3:39 PM (permalink)
                                            quote:

As I am new to this group, what kind of gifts do you suggest for the door-prize pool?

Cash will do. No bills larger than a 20, and non-consecutive serial numbers, please.

Sundancer7

RE: Trip Report-Glee Club Owensboro KY Feb. 2006 Fri, 11/18/05 3:43 PM (permalink)
                                              quote:

quote:

Cash will do. No bills larger than a 20, and non-consecutive serial numbers, please.

Bushie, I like the way you think!!!!

Butch, a door prize is something regional. I am bringing some BBQ sauce from Dreamland and some other goodies from my favorite stop in Pigeon Forge from the Applebarn. Nothing expensive, just something that you enjoy and others would enjoy.

Do not worry about Bushie. He always enjoy money

Paul E. Smith
                                              Knoxville, TN

mayor al

• Location: Louisville area, Southern Indiana
                                                • Roadfood Insider
                                                RE: Trip Report-Glee Club Owensboro KY Feb. 2006 Fri, 11/18/05 4:51 PM (permalink)
                                                Butch,
                                                At the Crabfest one of the guests was the author of the book "Food Finds" the theme for the TV Food Show. She donated several copies of her book. We also had some cans of the Moonlite Burgoo, some little (airline-style) bottles of Kentucky Bourbon, A small gunny sack full of Hickory Chunks,local wines from N Y and Maryland, a lot of labeled jams and jellies and hot sauces and more stuff like that. A favorite seemed to be BBQ sauce from some place noted in Roadfood. Any item of that nature that links the giver or receiver to some roadfoodie kind of theme would be appropriate.
                                                Hope that helps.

seafarer john

RE: Trip Report-Glee Club Owensboro KY Feb. 2006 Thu, 12/1/05 9:17 PM (permalink)
                                                  I wasn't too sure about the Monlight BBQ until I heard Katrina Vanden Heuvel (East coast effete Liberal snob, editor of The Nation), etc. ) give high praise to the place on the Colbert Report yesterday. Now I have to get to that Feb 18th meet-up.

BTW: if anyone out there has it in mind to give an Xmas present to The Mayor, Ms Vanden Heuvel is the author of ,"A Dictionary of Republicanisms"
                                                  a perfect gift for that old Neanderthal.

Cheers, John

Bushie

RE: Trip Report-Glee Club Owensboro KY Feb. 2006 Thu, 12/1/05 9:33 PM (permalink)
                                                    quote:
                                                    Originally posted by seafarer john

Katrina Vanden Heuvel (East coast effete Liberal snob, editor of The Nation), etc. )

Excellent assessment, Mr. Seafarer. (I know she's a woman after your heart, though.)

In all honesty, I hope above all that you and Mrs. Seafarer make it to this meet. I have told Mrs. Bushie (a reformed, recovering liberal) all about you, and your presence would be "icing on the cake".

tiki

• Total Posts: 4135
                                                      • Location: Rentiesville, OK
                                                      RE: Trip Report-Glee Club Owensboro KY Feb. 2006 Fri, 12/2/05 10:48 AM (permalink)
                                                      quote:
                                                      Mrs. Bushie (a reformed, recovering liberal) all about you, and your presence would be "icing on the cake".

ah---brainwashed her, did you??!!!

Bushie

• Location: Round Rock, TX
                                                        RE: Trip Report-Glee Club Owensboro KY Feb. 2006 Fri, 12/2/05 12:16 PM (permalink)
                                                        quote:
                                                        Originally posted by tiki

quote:
                                                        Mrs. Bushie (a reformed, recovering liberal) all about you, and your presence would be "icing on the cake".

ah---brainwashed her, did you??!!!

She finally took those blinders off.

CheeseWit

• Total Posts: 1393
                                                          • Location: West Chester, PA
                                                          • Roadfood Insider
                                                          RE: Trip Report-Glee Club Owensboro KY Feb. 2006 Fri, 12/2/05 12:28 PM (permalink)
                                                          You never know who else might show up...

Bushie

• Location: Round Rock, TX
                                                            RE: Trip Report-Glee Club Owensboro KY Feb. 2006 Fri, 12/2/05 2:30 PM (permalink)
                                                            quote:
                                                            Originally posted by CheeseWit

You never know who else might show up...

REALLY ???????????? That would be fabulous!!!!!!!!!

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark
                                                              Change Page: < 12345678910.. > >> | Showing page 4 of 15, messages 91 to 120 of 442

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                                              • No New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/ New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/o New Messages
                                                              • Read Message
                                                              • Post New Thread
                                                              • Reply to message
                                                              • Post New Poll
                                                              • Submit Vote
                                                              • Post reward post
                                                              • Delete my own posts
                                                              • Delete my own threads
                                                              • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                                              What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com