Trip Report-Glee Club Owensboro KY Feb. 2006

Page: << < ..678910.. > >> Showing page 6 of 15 - Powered by APG vNext Trial
Author
CheeseWit
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1394
RE: Trip Report-Glee Club Owensboro KY Feb. 2006 2006/01/04 21:32:21 (permalink)
Al (& Paul): I've been pretty quiet on this site lately. The conduct and posts that caused you to make a moderator's comment are exactly the kind of stuff that has turned me off to this site.

However, the get togethers are exactly the kind of stuff that keeps me interested in Roadfood.com.

I was going to surprise you guys on Feb. 18 and I hinted at that, but we've made plans to spend that weekend in the Boston area. You can bet that Jane and I will be checking out some Roadfood stops that weekend.

I'm hoping that 2006 will be the year that we get to be in the company of Sundancer and Bushie, et al. Al, I'm sure we'll see you again soon.
mayor al
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 15303
RE: Trip Report-Glee Club Owensboro KY Feb. 2006 2006/01/04 21:38:42 (permalink)

I am sorry to hear that also, Scott. You and Jane are great folks and we have enjoyed sharing CrabCakes in the Past and Heaven knows what in the future!
Things will settle down here again. See ya this Spring at the crab Session I hope.
AL
Z66 Butch
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 199
RE: Trip Report-Glee Club Owensboro KY Feb. 2006 2006/01/04 22:03:50 (permalink)
I haven't been around here long but can state that I see this same sort of complaining on most forums that I visit. It seems that the a few are always complaining and stirring things up. I do believe in their minds they feel shorted for one reason or another. It seems to always be the same ones time after time and I have seen many formally good members banned after the get caught up in this behavior. I think it is just to easy in an online environment to get your feeling hurt and then be to vocal about it. After you remove those Hijacking posts feel free to remove this one cause I guess it is in the same catogory....................

Butch
Bushie
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 2902
RE: Trip Report-Glee Club Owensboro KY Feb. 2006 2006/01/04 22:13:58 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by seafarer john

And I'm hoping to attend the Owensboro affair and meet up with that bunch of "Good Ole Boys" and "Neanderthals" who will be there sippin a bit of Bourbon and dowing enormous portions of BBQ Mutton.

Cheers, John

Ugh. Me hope u there.
Oneiron339
  • Total Posts : 2075
RE: Trip Report-Glee Club Owensboro KY Feb. 2006 2006/01/05 07:36:18 (permalink)
Snow or no snow...grouches or no grouches....we'll be there on the 18th at the Moonlite ready for some BBQ.
Sundancer7
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 13522
RE: Trip Report-Glee Club Owensboro KY Feb. 2006 2006/01/05 11:52:12 (permalink)
I will be there also. It looks like the list got a little shorter with WJ not being able to make it along with Scott and Jane. I was looking forward to meeting them.

Regardless it will be fun.

Incidentaly, there was a post from one of our members discussing my deletions and other movements of threads. I have no earthly idea of what this individual was talking about.

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN
Sundancer7
Fire Safety Admin
RE: Trip Report-Glee Club Owensboro KY Feb. 2006 2006/01/05 12:16:48 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by TJ Jackson

quote:
Originally posted by Sundancer7

there was a post from one of our members discussing my deletions and other movements of threads. I have no earthly idea of what this individual was talking about.
The post was from me, and The Mayor deleted it.

I see you on AIM all the time and have sent you instant messages thereby several times in order to explain the issue offline, but you have never responded to any IM attempts.

I never respond to instant mail due to the fact that I get so much trash. If you wish to communicate with me, please do it through email and please copy The Mayor on each one.

I have never moved a thread to my knowledge and the only deletions I have done which has been on a somewhat frequent basis is vulgar or post where folks get into a fight with each other.

My job as moderator is to insure that things stay on topic. Things are not always perfect but the moderators do the best job they can. I assure you and others on the forum that we encourage all threads and post. If it gets out of hand, nasty, vulgar or fights, I will assure you and anyone else that this will not be tolerated.

Again, I do not accept IM due to the fact that so much is nasty and vulgar. I do not tolerate that.

If any of you wish to contact me, I can be reached at: sundancer7@AOL.com.

Some of you may have issues. I try to address these as well as Al and Red. You may not always be pleased but I assure all of you that the mission of Roadfood.com is to promote places that we all enjoy.

To imply that some of us has bias with some folks is absolutely untrue. I speak with Al almost daily and it is our mission to keep Roadfood.com a great forum for all.

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN
mayor al
Fire Safety Admin
RE: Trip Report-Glee Club Owensboro KY Feb. 2006 2006/01/05 16:42:00 (permalink)

Just 6 weeks until the big gathering. Janet and I are really looking forward to this adventure. No Matter if you are a 'Day-Tripper' or if you make a 'Weekend' pilgrimage, I can promise you a great time. Hopefully we will be able to get Mr Bosley to walk us thru (in small groups) the Smoker area. While Mr Hays has a large smoker down in Tennessee, It is just the right size to support his business. Bosley's Moonlite Smokers are more in the order of a Giant Sized operation. However as large as they are they are really something to see in operation.

I will encourage everyone to at least sample the 'Pulled Mutton' and the 'Chopped Mutton'. I must admit I really do prefer the Pork, but a trial chunk or two is worth the trip !.

If you haven't tried the Chocolate Pecan Pie you will have to save some room for dessert. Think of a good Pecan pie with about a 1/4" layer of fudge frosting spread over the top. and you cut your own slices !! I like their Coconut Cream and Strawberry-Rhubarb also. I can pass on the Lemon Ice-Box and Chess pies, but they are hits with others in my family, so if that is your forte, be my guest, please. Also a scoop of Blackberry Cobbler with some soft-serve on it makes a nice treat.

I hope everyone is searching their pantry or garage or whereever for "Just the Right DoorPrize" !! We really had a good time at the Crabfest passing out the treasures and enjoying some of the swap sessions after that!

More news soon.
seafarer john
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3481
RE: Trip Report-Glee Club Owensboro KY Feb. 2006 2006/01/05 18:08:14 (permalink)
How the Hell will a little guy like me get any of that pie when I'l surely be in line behind the old chowhounds?

cheers, ( hungering for cocolate pecanpie) John
lamertz
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 290
RE: Trip Report-Glee Club Owensboro KY Feb. 2006 2006/01/05 21:09:56 (permalink)
I am so sorry I won't be able to do the Moonlite with y'all. I don't get back from Fl until 4/10.
Maybe another round this summer???
Have fun!
Rick F.
  • Total Posts : 1736
RE: Trip Report-Glee Club Owensboro KY Feb. 2006 2006/01/05 23:01:27 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Al-The Mayor-Bowen

Fine with us! Now to encourage other Roadfooders to join in!
Is the guest list still open? I could make it easily by stopping at my daughter's in Martin, TN. That is, if $ & her hospitality hold out!
mayor al
Fire Safety Admin
RE: Trip Report-Glee Club Owensboro KY Feb. 2006 2006/01/06 09:07:49 (permalink)
Rick,
You folks would be MOST Welcome. The place has room for a large bunch of folks, so bring whomever you wish. Let me know if you want some routing suggestions. We hope to see you shortly.
AL
Rick F.
RE: Trip Report-Glee Club Owensboro KY Feb. 2006 2006/01/06 12:12:43 (permalink)
quote:

Rick,
You folks would be MOST Welcome. The place has room for a large bunch of folks, so bring whomever you wish. Let me know if you want some routing suggestions. We hope to see you shortly.
AL
Thanks. Routing I think I can handle, but suggestions would be most welcome just in case. However, lodging info would be a big help. Is there a convenient motel?
Bushie
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 2902
RE: Trip Report-Glee Club Owensboro KY Feb. 2006 2006/01/06 13:18:21 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Rick F.

Thanks. Routing I think I can handle, but suggestions would be most welcome just in case. However, lodging info would be a big help. Is there a convenient motel?

Rick, that's great that you're coming.

I stayed in Owensboro at The Executive Inn. http://www.executiveinnrivermont.com/

I don't remember the website making it look that fancy a couple of years ago, so it may be more expensive than before. At the time, it was nice and reasonably priced. Right down on the river.

Here's some other places to choose from:

http://www.westernkentucky.worldweb.com/OwensboroKY/WheretoStay/HotelsMotels/

I see from the address that the Holiday Inn Express on West Parrish is just right up the road from the Moonlite.
seafarer john
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3481
RE: Trip Report-Glee Club Owensboro KY Feb. 2006 2006/01/06 17:23:35 (permalink)
If Bushie is gonna be there acting like a Texan and braggin bout them NATIONAL CHAMPIONS and such crap, I'm stayin home.

Cheers, John
mayor al
Fire Safety Admin
RE: Trip Report-Glee Club Owensboro KY Feb. 2006 2006/01/06 17:29:52 (permalink)

John,
Bushie will have Mrs. Bushie on his arm, so he will be on his best "Company Manners" behavior. Besides we will fill him with "Indiana Crude" prior to delivering him to the Kentucky side of the River for the celebration. That'll calm him down !

That Holiday Inn Express is within easy walking distance of the restaurant.
Poverty Pete
  • Total Posts : 2314
RE: Trip Report-Glee Club Owensboro KY Feb. 2006 2006/01/06 18:24:26 (permalink)
I just went to Priceline, and got my room at Fairfield Inn, about 2 miles from Moonlite, for $46. I wonder whether Mrs. Bushie wears aloha shirts?
Sundancer7
Fire Safety Admin
RE: Trip Report-Glee Club Owensboro KY Feb. 2006 2006/01/06 21:42:04 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Poverty Pete

I just went to Priceline, and got my room at Fairfield Inn, about 2 miles from Moonlite, for $46. I wonder whether Mrs. Bushie wears aloha shirts?

Bushie is famous for wearing those shirts even during the coldest weather. I met Mrs. Bushie. I guarantee that that lady does not wear that apparel during cold weather.

I will bet that even if there is snow on the ground and the temp is very cold, Bushie will have his Aloha shirt on

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN
Rick F.
RE: Trip Report-Glee Club Owensboro KY Feb. 2006 2006/01/06 22:26:40 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Sundancer7
I will bet that even if there is snow on the ground and the temp is very cold, Bushie will have his Aloha shirt on

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN
Fair warning: If he wears an aloha-ha-ha shirt, I wear clericals and sneer at the uppity peasant.
Poverty Pete
RE: Trip Report-Glee Club Owensboro KY Feb. 2006 2006/01/06 22:28:16 (permalink)
There will be three more for dinner. My old buddy, Lynn will be there...The worrisome part is that my sister and her husband are also going to attend. They want to meet Lynn. My family seems to be convinced that this old bachelor is finally going to surrender.
mayor al
Fire Safety Admin
RE: Trip Report-Glee Club Owensboro KY Feb. 2006 2006/01/06 23:31:28 (permalink)
Nani-nani---- Told ya so... I love it when one of those 'E-Harmony' thingy's seem to fall in place. I knew you were in trouble in that Costco parking Lot when I saw her look at you when you opened that Beer Bottle with a CorkScrew!! Whatta Man !
Sundancer7
Fire Safety Admin
RE: Trip Report-Glee Club Owensboro KY Feb. 2006 2006/01/06 23:44:04 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Poverty Pete

There will be three more for dinner. My old buddy, Lynn will be there...The worrisome part is that my sister and her husband are also going to attend. They want to meet Lynn. My family seems to be convinced that this old bachelor is finally going to surrender.

sounds good to me and good for you

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN
mayor al
Fire Safety Admin
RE: Trip Report-Glee Club Owensboro KY Feb. 2006 2006/01/07 12:06:29 (permalink)

Pete,
For a fee I can arrange to have her sit between Mrs.Bushie and Mrs. 'Mayor'. Those two ladies can fill her with horror stories about what it is like to be married to Roadfooders...That'll save your bacon (So To Speak!!)
Poverty Pete
RE: Trip Report-Glee Club Owensboro KY Feb. 2006 2006/01/07 13:09:46 (permalink)
Done! We can negotiate the price later.
Kaileen
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 61
RE: Trip Report-Glee Club Owensboro KY Feb. 2006 2006/01/07 14:23:45 (permalink)
Darn.

We won't be able to come. I was sincerely hoping for this one, but we have good news this time.

We're moving. We've finally found an apartment in this town that we can afford, and we'll finally have our lives back.

So hopefully another time...
mayor al
Fire Safety Admin
RE: Trip Report-Glee Club Owensboro KY Feb. 2006 2006/01/07 20:02:43 (permalink)
Just an update if you haven't caught up with the stuff on the Roadfood BBQ thread about our coming meeting.

A couple of folks are not going to be able to make it, but we have attracted the attention of some others who want to join the fun, so the group is about the same size.
I have notes (at least 'Maybe's) from-- If I have missed someone Please tell me I am working from memory and from the posters on the thread!!
One Iron and the Lovely Mrs. One Iron (GA)
The Mayor and his bride (IN)
Sundancer (TN)
Mr and Mrs Bushie (TX)
Mr Ale and his Wench (N.J.)
Poverty Pete and his friend and the observer's from his family(TN)
Mr & Mrs Pappy(TN)
Mr & Mrs Seafarer (NY via FL)
The 2 Bobs Brothers (TN)
The Rev. Rick F(Marrying Sam to his friend PP)(LA)
Pogophiles (TN)
Mr.Fred & Mrs. Jill Sauceman (TN)
Louis- Our Henderson KY rep on Roadfood (KY)
Iwanago- Paul's Friend (TN)
Mr & Mrs Z66 Butch(Hoosiers)(IN)
Tumbleweed365 from Ohio
PCDiva (Michigan)
Ians Mom(Louisville,KY)
Avalanche Driver (KY)
6 Star (IL)

The actual dinner get-together will be at the Moonlite BBQ on Saturday Feb 18. The evening menu buffet begins at 3pm, so we should plan to get there about that time. By the time we get everyone seated and oriented (or menu-ordered for those who want to do that) it will be about 3:30pm. We will do introductions and then enjoy what the place is noted for..Burgoo and Bar B Q. After eating we can take some time to do the doorprizes and maybe look for a dessert and some take-home items from the 'store'. BTW The weekend Dinner Buffet is @$14.00 plus beverage of choice.

If you know of anyone who would be interested in attending, roadfooder or friend of roadfooder, invite them and let me know so One-Iron can let the Moonlite know an approximate count for space needed. Be sure to tell them that door-prizes are encouraged. Half the fun of getting a door-prize is the discussion about it with the donor after the award! Also scrounge some door-prize materials. They needn't be expensive things...just something that represents your local or regional 'specialties. Janet and I picked up some today... BBQ Sauce, Mint-Julep Mix, We have some fun stuff to share.

Bring your cameras, we like to have plenty of visual proof of the fun to share with the folks on the website.

We are really looking forward to seeing you all at this session. As one who has attended meetings in SoCal, Maryland, and a couple in Tennessee I can honestly say I have enjoyed every one. We seem to have a good time no matter what the theme of the menu turns out to be.
Louis
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 732
RE: Trip Report-Glee Club Owensboro KY Feb. 2006 2006/01/07 22:49:54 (permalink)
Although I rarely say anything on these forums, as I would rather absorb the interesting conversation, I nevertheless feel that I know many of you. I have been reading many of your posts for the last six years. So I'll be there on February 18th. I live just 30 minutes away from the Moonlite in Henderson, KY. However, if someone has time on their hands and is in the Henderson area during that time (or any other), I'll be happy to introduce you to a couple of local culinary treasures.
mayor al
Fire Safety Admin
RE: Trip Report-Glee Club Owensboro KY Feb. 2006 2006/01/08 09:12:47 (permalink)
Louis,

I am glad to hear you will be joining us on Saturday. I have a feeling that you may have the opportunity to share your knowledge of the Henderson/Evansville area during this weekend.

One other note for you travelers-- Owensboro Kentucky is on Central Time, While Louisville, KY and almost the Whole State of Indiana is on Eastern Time. If you are coming direct to Owensboro from the South or West (Including Nashville TN) you will be on the correct time , but if you are coming from Louisville or 99% of Indiana you will need to remember that O-boro is an hour earlier than the rest of your trip. We have waited in a nice park by the river more than once, because we had not remembered the time difference when we left home headed for the Moonlite !!
mayor al
Fire Safety Admin
RE: Trip Report-Glee Club Owensboro KY Feb. 2006 2006/01/09 17:45:31 (permalink)

I edited the two posts describing the activity, thinking that would bump it up to the top of the forum, but it doesn't. So please go back and reread the add-ons in my post with the list of attendees. Send me corrections, as you will see several folks have done just that.

Reminder on the Time-zone difference. For most of us it isn't a 'normal activity...but as one who lives with the 'slowtime-fasttime difference it can be confusing.

We will have some BBQ- Roadfood Name tags and other stuff for you when you arrive...Just ask one of the staff at the Moonlite where they have seated us.

Anyone planning to be in Louisville friday evening , we hope to have a smaller group visit the Brown Hotel for a "Hot Brown" Dinner. Contact me via email if you are interested in joining the Bushies, Sundancer and Jan and I for that little informal get together. We are thinking of a 7:00PM start and an early ending due to the busy schedule for most of us earlier in the day.

We have some Motel info posted on another thread on this forum. Others are making some good suggestions there also. If you need advice, ask!!!
Sundancer7
Fire Safety Admin
RE: Trip Report-Glee Club Owensboro KY Feb. 2006 2006/01/09 19:32:00 (permalink)
quote:

I edited the two posts describing the activity, thinking that would bump it up to the top of the forum, but it doesn't. So please go back and reread the add-ons in my post with the list of attendees. Send me corrections, as you will see several folks have done just that.

Reminder on the Time-zone difference. For most of us it isn't a 'normal activity...but as one who lives with the 'slowtime-fasttime difference it can be confusing.

We will have some BBQ- Roadfood Name tags and other stuff for you when you arrive...Just ask one of the staff at the Moonlite where they have seated us.

Anyone planning to be in Louisville friday evening , we hope to have a smaller group visit the Brown Hotel for a "Hot Brown" Dinner. Contact me via email if you are interested in joining the Bushies, Sundancer and Jan and I for that little informal get together. We are thinking of a 7:00PM start and an early ending due to the busy schedule for most of us earlier in the day.

We have some Motel info posted on another thread on this forum. Others are making some good suggestions there also. If you need advice, ask!!!

All, I definately will be at the hotel on 2/17. I look forward to the hot brown which I have never had before.

I wanna go may be there as she has scheduled a flight into the Louisville airport. If she is available, I will pick her up and we will join all of you at the hotel. If not, I will be there. Look forward to seeing all of you there.

I will pick up a Marriott somehwere close and will meet for breakfast is that is appropiate. It dos not matter to me where as long as it is somewhere between Louisville and Evansvillle.

Paul E Smith
Knoxville, TN
Page: << < ..678910.. > >> Showing page 6 of 15 - Powered by APG vNext Trial
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Trial Version 5.1