Trip Report-Glee Club Owensboro KY Feb. 2006

Page: << < ..678910.. > >> Showing page 7 of 15
Author
Oneiron339
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 2075
RE: Trip Report-Glee Club Owensboro KY Feb. 2006 2006/01/10 07:34:01 (permalink)
Al, how far is L-ville from Owensboro? I may make it to L-ville on Friday PM.
Oneiron339
RE: Trip Report-Glee Club Owensboro KY Feb. 2006 2006/01/10 07:36:41 (permalink)
We may make it to L-ville with you-all on Friday PM. Depends on when we get out of ATL on Friday.
Sundancer7
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 13477
RE: Trip Report-Glee Club Owensboro KY Feb. 2006 2006/01/10 07:37:51 (permalink)
106.49 miles per Mapquest. Louisville to Owensboro.

http://www.mapquest.com/directions/main.adp?go=1&do=nw&rmm=1&un=m&cl=EN&ct=NA&rsres=1&1ffi=&1l=&1g=&1pl=&1v=&1n=&2ffi=&2l=&2g=&2pl=&2v=&2n=&1pn=&1a=&1c=louisville&1s=ky&1z=&2pn=&2a=&2c=owensboro&2s=ky&2z=

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN
mayor al
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 15185
RE: Trip Report-Glee Club Owensboro KY Feb. 2006 2006/01/10 09:30:34 (permalink)
Louisville is roughly the same distance from Nashville as is Owensboro. So as far as the drive from Atlanta goes, it is the same distance. In One-Iron's case I would suggest coming up I-65 instead of branching off onto the Parkway in Bowling Green to Owensboro. Stay in the Louisville area on Friday Then go to Owensboro on Saturday.
Nashville to L-ville = roughly 2.5 to 3 hours. (175 miles)
L-ville to Moonlite= about 2 hours on the KY side (2 lane most of the way on US 60) A bit easier to use I-64 in Indiana where the road is better.
pcdiva
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 591
RE: Trip Report-Glee Club Owensboro KY Feb. 2006 2006/01/10 16:24:15 (permalink)
I can hardly wait!!!! I was a little worried when I couldn't find this thread right away, but perserverance has paid off.

Put me down for the Brown Hotel excursion on Friday since I know I'll be there by 7:00 even if I have to push my little blue CRV.

Louis, or some other local, can you suggest a nice breakfast spot that isn't too filling since I know I'll want LOTS of room for BBQ Saturday, but will want a little something to start my day? I'll also be in town all day Sunday if there are other fun Roadfood experiences to be found!

Thanks y'all,
Alice
mayor al
Fire Safety Admin
RE: Trip Report-Glee Club Owensboro KY Feb. 2006 2006/01/10 21:37:08 (permalink)

Alice,
Trust Me....This group will FILL your "Dance Card" up to and including "between meal snacks"!!!
As we get closer to BBQ/HotBrown Weekend we will mention some 'other places to consider.....Big and small.
Benzee
  • Total Posts : 1873
RE: Trip Report-Glee Club Owensboro KY Feb. 2006 2006/01/10 22:33:56 (permalink)
Hello all ,
I welcome the Glee club BBQ gang to the Off topic and lighter fare forum .
I would love to make the trip from NY that weekend , but alas I have surprised Mrs Benzee with Martina McBride tickets at Radio city Music Hall in the Big Apple .

I would enjoy get togethers with all of you , no matter what the delicasy , if able to .

Perhaps Cheese wit will be able to put together another Philly Cheese Steak tour .

And maybe a Crab Fest down the road ??

The Dog tour is also on for late April in Jersey .

It is hard searching all of the forums to find the meetups . Perhaps a seperate forum for gatherings is a good idea .

Anyhow Happy New Year to all

Benzee
Louis
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 726
RE: Trip Report-Glee Club Owensboro KY Feb. 2006 2006/01/11 10:52:04 (permalink)
Alice,

If you're going to be in Louisville on Saturday morning, then Lynn's Paradise Cafe is the only option.

http://www.roadfood.com/Reviews/Overview.aspx?RefID=117

You'll just have to restrain yourself at the breakfast table in preparation for the festivities at the Moonlight later in the day.

Talk to me that Saturday evening and I'll try to suggest something to you for Sunday morning (probably something in Evansville, Indiana). A lot of the good places around here are closed on Sunday, but I'll come up with something.
AvalancheDriver
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 28
RE: Trip Report-Glee Club Owensboro KY Feb. 2006 2006/01/11 14:18:55 (permalink)
Hey y'all!

Roadfood.com has been in the "favorites" area of my browser for about two years. I use it all the time. However, I just joined the forum today.

I live 26 miles from Owensboro and my family eats at Moonlite monthly.

If you have "room at the table", we will see you folks there!

AvalancheDriver
Western, KY
mayor al
Fire Safety Admin
RE: Trip Report-Glee Club Owensboro KY Feb. 2006 2006/01/11 15:59:34 (permalink)

Av. Driver,
Welcome aboard. I can't think of a better way to jump into this group than to share the Moonlite meeting with them. If you have followed the notes on this thread you are aware of the time and date. Each person is bringing some small token of local food or stuff like that to use in a door-prize drawing. I am pretty sure we will be easy to spot that Saturday afternoon...so look around...or ask !! See ya then. Oh, when you say "We" how many, give or take a couple, are you adding to the group? We need to give Mr Bosley a rough seat count before we arrive. Again, Welcome to Roadfood!
AvalancheDriver
Junior Burger
RE: Trip Report-Glee Club Owensboro KY Feb. 2006 2006/01/11 16:11:27 (permalink)
Al,

Thanks for the welcome! ButchZ66 was the one that told me of the GTG. I know him from Avalanche GTGs.

There will be three folks total in my party.

I work near Memphis and will bring a local BBQ sauce for a door prize.

Mooonlite has donated door prizes to the Western Kentucky Avalanche Club before. We (WKAC) are having another GTG at the International BBQ Fest, in Owensboro, this May.

AvalancheDriver
Sundancer7
Fire Safety Admin
RE: Trip Report-Glee Club Owensboro KY Feb. 2006 2006/01/11 16:23:20 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by AvalancheDriver

Al,

Thanks for the welcome! ButchZ66 was the one that told me of the GTG. I know him from Avalanche GTGs.

There will be three folks total in my party.

I work near Memphis and will bring a local BBQ sauce for a door prize.

Mooonlite has donated door prizes to the Western Kentucky Avalanche Club before. We (WKAC) are having another GTG at the International BBQ Fest, in Owensboro, this May.

AvalancheDriver

The more, the merrier, Glad to have you with the group. Whatever Moonlite donates is super. I am sure we will have plenty for all. I know I have got my share. I cannot wait to meet you.

Al, I have no idee how many folks will be showing up but I do know that Iwannago has indicated that she will fly in to Louisville on the 17th for dinner at the hotel that does Hot Brown's.

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN
AvalancheDriver
Junior Burger
RE: Trip Report-Glee Club Owensboro KY Feb. 2006 2006/01/11 16:37:24 (permalink)
Thanks for the welcome!

I sent Poverty Pete a PM WRT home brewing.

AvalancheDriver
mayor al
Fire Safety Admin
RE: Trip Report-Glee Club Owensboro KY Feb. 2006 2006/01/11 16:40:58 (permalink)

Paul I count @ 30-32 right now, with a few "maybe's" still working on their plans. We have NJ,TX,LA,GA,TN,IN,KY,MI and maybe IL and MO represented so far. I think this one will be a Dandy!
Sundancer7
Fire Safety Admin
RE: Trip Report-Glee Club Owensboro KY Feb. 2006 2006/01/11 17:28:42 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Al-The Mayor-Bowen

Paul I count @ 30-32 right now, with a few "maybe's" still working on their plans. We have NJ,TX,LA,GA,TN,IN,KY,MI and maybe IL and MO represented so far. I think this one will be a Dandy!

Well, we have gone from five from eleven to thirty two. I wonder how many we will have next year????

Paul E. Smith
Knoxvillle, TN
AvalancheDriver
Junior Burger
RE: Trip Report-Glee Club Owensboro KY Feb. 2006 2006/01/11 17:34:02 (permalink)
If you do the Hot Brown thing next year, I will be there.

I will be working in Louisville, KY, recruiting Officers for the Navy.

AvalancheDriver
Oneiron339
RE: Trip Report-Glee Club Owensboro KY Feb. 2006 2006/01/12 07:24:18 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Sundancer7

quote:
Originally posted by Al-The Mayor-Bowen

Well, we have gone from five from eleven to thirty two. I wonder how many we will have next year????

Paul E. Smith
Knoxvillle, TN

Let's get through this year first. We may get too rowdy, get thrown in jail, and the group forced to disband. Besides, when they see some of our chowhounds go through the serving line 3-4 times, they may ask us to leave
6star
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4388
RE: Trip Report-Glee Club Owensboro KY Feb. 2006 2006/01/12 13:57:42 (permalink)
Could you please add me to the "maybe" list. I really want to come down to meet everyone, but it is about a 5 hour drive from Peoria and I still haven't found anyone who will say for sure they will come with me.
Sundancer7
Fire Safety Admin
RE: Trip Report-Glee Club Owensboro KY Feb. 2006 2006/01/12 14:21:10 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by 6star

Could you please add me to the "maybe" list. I really want to come down to meet everyone, but it is about a 5 hour drive from Peoria and I still haven't found anyone who will say for sure they will come with me.

Come on down! It is at least a five hour drive for me and probably a few more. Oneiron (who I suspect often uses a three iron) will be driving up from Atlanta.

I got a update from The mayor who indicated that we will grow to about 30+ participants this year. We started with five, grew to eleven and this year it will be much larger.

I am sure that you will enjoy the drive and the food.

As you have heard many times from The Mayor, the Moonlite is one of his favorites. I have visited the place before and it is not only huge, it is good.

Paul E. smith
Knoxville, TN
mayor al
Fire Safety Admin
RE: Trip Report-Glee Club Owensboro KY Feb. 2006 2006/01/12 14:57:55 (permalink)
6 Star,
You are added ! We hope that either you find someone who wants to get out of the cold...or get some AC/DC CD's to play to keep your mind occupied on the way down.

If your "maybe" is for Friday and Saturday, then use I-74 to Indy and I-65 down to Louisville for the route I recommend. If you are planning to come down on Saturday in time for the dinner at the Moonlite and stay over/ or drive back then I-74 to I-57 to I-64 then cross the River at Evansville to get to Owensboro would be my choice. Strictly suggestions depending on your schedule and 'druthers'.

By reviewing all the gossip on this thread you will get a good idea of the schedule. If you have any questions be sure to ask. If possible bring an item to put in the 'Door Prize Pool'. I was going to ask you to contribute some of BIG JOHN'S BBQ Sauce, but that is no longer a Peoria Icon, is it?
Again, Welcome aboard, We look forward to meeting you in Owensboro.

6star
Filet Mignon
RE: Trip Report-Glee Club Owensboro KY Feb. 2006 2006/01/12 19:55:45 (permalink)
Big John's is no more, and I have heard some relative of his is trying to cash in on John's name, but it doesn't even come close (so I haven't even tried it). If I could figure a way to preserve them without ruining them, I could bring down Maid-Rites or really giant tenderloins (up to 8" diameter), but I don't think they would be the same frozen or refrigerated. And Steak 'n Shake canned chili is available anywhere, so that's no big deal. Considering I have sent Roadfooders in Florida, Las Vegas and Canada some Hostess Blueberry and Peach Pies at their request, if nothing else, I could bring some of them down. I'll keep thinking.

My reason for trying to get someone to come with me is because I have not had a credit card in over 15 years and almost no motels will accept reservations without one. This would mean I would have to drive down for Saturday afternoon and then drive back late Saturday night (which could get a little rough). During the summer, when I travel I usually camp (in fact next weekend I am camping with our Scout troop for a "Klondike Derby"), but I doubt if any campgrounds near Owensboro will be open next month. I'll keep trying to get someone to come with me.
Poverty Pete
  • Total Posts : 2293
RE: Trip Report-Glee Club Owensboro KY Feb. 2006 2006/01/12 20:13:45 (permalink)
I wonder whether you could camp at Audobon State Park in Henderson?
6star
Filet Mignon
RE: Trip Report-Glee Club Owensboro KY Feb. 2006 2006/01/12 20:40:47 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Poverty Pete

I wonder whether you could camp at Audobon State Park in Henderson?

They show camping on the park website, but I don't see anything about dates, etc. A lot of campgrounds shut off all the water during the winter to prevent freezing of the pipes. I will have to give them a call. Thank you for the suggestion of Audobon.
Louis
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 726
RE: Trip Report-Glee Club Owensboro KY Feb. 2006 2006/01/12 21:38:23 (permalink)
6star, if you have the cash, no motel around here is going to turn you down. This is Owensboro we're talking about, not a large metropolis.
mayor al
Fire Safety Admin
RE: Trip Report-Glee Club Owensboro KY Feb. 2006 2006/01/13 12:23:28 (permalink)

I agree with Louis. There will be plenty of Motel rooms open when you get there Friday afternoon/evening (without an advance reservation) when you appear at the desk cash in hand they will welcome you like a long lost Brother!!

If you want to come to Louisville for the Friday night HOT BROWN session I am sure we can find you a good place to stay on the Indiana side of the river.

Anyone else needing housing information for either end of this meeting just post your question and I am sure that folks in the Owensboro area, or us-guys over towards Louisville can help.

Sundancer7
Fire Safety Admin
RE: Trip Report-Glee Club Owensboro KY Feb. 2006 2006/01/13 13:25:45 (permalink)
Speaking of the Friday night Hot Brown meeting, what is the schedule?

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN
mayor al
Fire Safety Admin
RE: Trip Report-Glee Club Owensboro KY Feb. 2006 2006/01/13 14:23:54 (permalink)
Paul
Friday will be a bit 'loose' right now. The Bushie's are flying in Thursday evening. The New Jersey couple (Ale's) are hoping to be in friday afternoon. PC Diva is driving in from Michigan due to arrive in time for dinner. If the One-Irons choose to drive to Louisville on Friday they will arrive in time for dinner also. Ian's Mom and her friend are here in Louisville and will meet us at the Brown Hotel at whatever time we set. Your arrival will be in time for dinner (we hope) and Iwannago (hopefully) will arrive on a flight that will get her downtown for dinner also. I have been holding off on setting the time for dinner until you tell me when Iwannago will arrive in Louisville. I figure a 5-6PM arrival will allow all of us to gather at the Hotel at about 7pm.
That puts folks out to their hotels by 9PM or so.

All thru this thread I have suggested (for the folks coming to Louisville first) that they stay on the west-side of town in Southern Indiana. A couple of reasons for that... Motels are a bit cheaper in the fringe suburbs than they are in Downtown L-ville, and the environment is a bit 'safer' and less urban. In New Albany (Just across the river from the city) there are several chain motels. A bit further west at exit 105 of I-64 (Corydon) there is another cluster of chain motels. Either place offers decent beds for reasonable prices and they have the added benefit of being in the general direction of our Saturday travel towards Owensboro.
Folks who get up moderately early have the choice of visiting Lynn's Paradise Cafe Saturday morning for breakfast. Lynn's gets VERY busy on weekends so if you don't arrive very close to opening time you can count on a long wait and near impossible parking. Another choice for those who haven't had a Pork Tenderloin Sandwich or a White Castle Experience...At Exit 105- Corydon off I-64 there are among all the usual foodstands, a White Castle and a Culver's. While Culver's is a chain stand, it does a really good example of the Pork Tenderloin Sandwich either breaded and fried or grilled. If one of these were to be your choice for the morning, we could leave a bit later, eat a late breakfast-early lunch sandwich in Corydon and then continue west on I-64 to Owensboro.

At the end of the get-together in Owensboro, after all the farewells etc, we will be coming back towards Louisville to our home for the night. Some folks are staying in Owensboro and some will be returning for a second night in the Louisville area. The choice is wide open for everyone. If a number of folks decide to stay Saturday night in the Louisville area we can organize a Sunday brunch somewhere...maybe Claudia Sanders or some place like that. At this point in time I haven't heard about plans for after the BBQ get-together, except that some folks who are driving will stay in Owensboro and breakfast on Sunday at a cafe about 30 minutes south of town in Beaver Dam. Whatever works for your schedule will be the way to go.
When Iwannago gets her flight info, share it with us and we can then set a time for meeting at the Brown Hotel on Friday evening. If I have skipped anyone who mentioned coming to Louisville for the HOT BROWN as part of the weekend, I apologize. Let me know and I will gladly add you to the list.

ALL Input From All Parties is Invited!

Rick F.
  • Total Posts : 1736
RE: Trip Report-Glee Club Owensboro KY Feb. 2006 2006/01/13 17:54:53 (permalink)
I expect to arrive in Owensboro Friday midday or a bit later & leave after lunch Sunday. Any ideas for meals in O'boro (except, of course, for Saturday "Moonliting" would be welcome. I eat anything but liver (), as far as I know.
Poverty Pete
  • Total Posts : 2293
RE: Trip Report-Glee Club Owensboro KY Feb. 2006 2006/01/13 18:03:07 (permalink)
Rick, you're welcome to join me in Evansville on Friday. I'm not quite decided on where I'll go, but I promise it will be interesting.
mayor al
Fire Safety Admin
RE: Trip Report-Glee Club Owensboro KY Feb. 2006 2006/01/13 18:27:31 (permalink)

Rick,
That will work out just fine. Pov Pete can foot the bill for the "Rehearsal Dinner", Friday Nite !!!
Page: << < ..678910.. > >> Showing page 7 of 15
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1