Trip to Cincinnati

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
jmckee
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1181
RE: Trip to Cincinnati 2003/07/18 11:10:59 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by MikeSh

quote:
Originally posted by EliseT

I love that you have to stop for a hot dog before you go have a fried chicken dinner!

I wanted to try GoldStar chili and they were right there next to the grocery store. I didn't want chili per se for dinner since I had already decided on fried chicken. So it was an appetizer

I'm not a big fan of the Gold Star chain; it has a spicy bite at the back of the throat that I don't find altogether pleasant. Also, as I've posted elsewhere, I lived downwind of their commissary for more than a decade and smelled Gold Star first thing every morning.....ugh.

Elise reminds me of a line from Calvin Trillin, talking about his (now late) friend Fats Goldberg. Fats was the only person Trillin ever knew who could say, "Then on the way to lunch I'd stop at Kresge's for a couple of chili dogs."

Not much in Cincinnati any more for traditional German, Mike. Sundancer's on the mark; Covington's Mainstrasse village is the best bet.....
jmckee
RE: Trip to Cincinnati 2003/07/18 11:12:33 (permalink)
quote:

Wednewday night in Cincy...

I drove about 20 miles to visit the Jungle Jim's International market that Al the Mayor recommended. Just before I got there, maybe a 1/4 mile away, is a White Castle hamburger place. I had never been before and had heard a lot about them for many years. My parents ate there back in the early 50's when dad was stationed in Detroit. So I get to the drive-up and order 1 burger for 45 cents. I knew they were small but I just wanted enough to try one. The guy at ther pick-up window asked, politely, why I was just buying one. So I told him I was a newbie and wanted to try them out. He gave me a 2nd one as a freebie. So I'm driving the 1/4 mile to JJ's and all I smell is onion, potent onion. I get parked, open the bag and here is this small square box with an open side. I slide the burger out, open it up to see what is inside. A thin square of meat that doesn't look like hamburger, 2 dill pickles & a bunch of chopped onion. So I close it back up and bite into it. Good stuff Maynard!

The place is HUGE (JJ's), the biggest grocery store I have ever been in, AND it is expanding. On their web site they say that they have an acre of produce and I beleive them. They have a huge selection of international foods, many things that I have never seen before. The meat counter, with real live butchers carries USDA Prime beef and they have slab bacon with the rind still on that they will slice to your desired thickness.

I haven't seen this style of bacon for years and really like it. I bought 3 pounds and since I bought a nice big ice-chest later on that night. I might go back for more. I also bought 2lbs of applewood smoked bacon, some cold smoked salmon that they do there, some pretty spicy pepper cheddar cheese that they were giving samples of, fresh oysters and 2 large jars of my favorite hot sauce, Cholula. Oh and a variety of cured olives, salami, dried tomatoes and fresh mozzarella cheese from the olive bar.

So for dinner I had fresh oysters with hot sauce and crackers, smoked salmon on toast, olive bar stuff, spicy cheddar cheese and a 12oz Yeungling beer to wash it all down with.

After Jungle Jim's and before dinner though I went and found a Costco that I had plotted out last week, the one just N. of I-275 off of I-71 very near the King's Auto Mall. I needed an ice chest and more bottled water. Plus I like to visit every Costco that I come across. I needed an ice chest to transport the buttermilk I'm taking home.

Breakfast today (Thursday) was 2 slices apple smoked bacon and 3 of with the rind, toast and 2 eggs scrambled.

Lunch today? not sure, I'll let you know. Dinner, probably Werthelim's german in Covington, Ky. Again, I'll let ya know.

Mike

Wertheim's! THAT's the name I was trying to remember.

I love Jungle Jim's....Truly.
MikeS.
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 5408
RE: Trip to Cincinnati 2003/07/20 00:02:15 (permalink)
Thursday night, the last of the story...

So after dinner at Wertheim's we went to a liquor store that the restaraunt had called for us and got a 12pk of Warsheim's Dunkel. The beer we both really liked. Since Jackie was flying home Friday I got to bring hers back with me, along with the 2 Pilsner glasses she bought. She lives about 120 miles from me but I'll be at her office the end of this month.

We then had to stop at a GoldStar so Jackie could buy her friend in Atlanta 2 cans of thier chili. She also fell in love with the price of the cigs in Ky. 21.95 for a carton of Marlboro. She bought 3.

One thing about this part of Ky., they have discount cig & booze stores on almost every corner. I guess a lot of people form Ohio drive over. It is quite a bit cheaper there from what I saw in Cincy.

I also got to bring a bag back for one of the guys that we were with, he forgot it at the hotel. He'll either have to come to me for it, make other arrangements, or wait 2 weeks. I don't plan on driving 200 miles round trip to hand it to him. I'm not that nice...

Next post, Friday and the trip home Saturday.
MikeS.
Fire Safety Admin
RE: Trip to Cincinnati 2003/07/20 00:35:45 (permalink)
Friday in Cincy;

Breakfast was the last banana I had bought Sunday night and a glass of buttermilk.

Lunch was at Izzy's for a pastrami sandwich with several co-workers.

I then took half a day off Friday and went to the fabulous Dayton air show that was celeberating 100 years of aviation. About a 65 mile drive from Cincy. Hit a bit of traffic due to a wreck at mile 18 and got slowed down for a few miles. Not too bad though.

The air show was huge, this year the USAF Thunderbirds, the USN Blue Angels and the Canadian AF (RCAF?) Snowbirds were there performing. I got to see all three. Plus a whole bunch of other planes, everything from a replica of the Wright brothers flyer to WW1, WW2 and current stealth planes.

I love the WW2 wera stuff and my favorite is the P-38 Lighting and the P-51 Mustang. I got to sit in both and see both fly. Wayyyy Cool!

Now for the food, there was a sausage with peppers and onions, there was a beer and then a funnel cake, a frozen non-alcoholic margarita, tasty but no buzz, and then a brautwurst. Typical fair type food.
Adsmission was 18 bucks, not bad for about 7 hrs but parking was 7 bucks, a bit steep IMO.

The drive back to Cincy was horrible! Took almost 3 hours. 3 wrecks along the way was the problem, what with massive rubber-necking.

Got back and an old friend from Fresno wanted to go back to LaRosa's, so we went there. I had a foccacia style pizza, still looking for that thin crisp crust. Still not... She had the Calzone.
LaRosa's is good solid itialian style food.

Saturday;

had rind bacon, eggs and toast at the hotel. Got on the road and stopped at a Kroeger's for buttermilk. Bought 11 half gallons, a Krispy-Kreme Bavarian filled donut and a lg bag of ice. Time 0730.

Lunch about 1pm, smoked salmon, hot cheddar cheese and crackers bought from Jungle Jim's Super Duper Emporium.

Home about 5 pm back into work at 2300.

For those of you that enjoyed this, I'll be going to Annapolis Md. on the 28th for 5 days. Lots of new places there and at least 2 trips back to Tacos Tres Reyes in PG County.

Until then,

MikeS.
Sundancer7
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 13476
RE: Trip to Cincinnati 2003/07/20 05:15:41 (permalink)
I enjoyed your trip right along with yourself. I would have liked to have seen the Dayton airshow.

11 gallons of buttermilk?

Paul E. smith
Knoxville, TN
MikeS.
Fire Safety Admin
RE: Trip to Cincinnati 2003/07/21 00:37:05 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Sundancer7

I enjoyed your trip right along with yourself. I would have liked to have seen the Dayton airshow.

11 gallons of buttermilk?

Paul E. smith
Knoxville, TN

Paul, 11 half gallons. Or 5.5 gallons. With a 3 week shelf life, not so bad.

Thanks, I'm glad you enjoyed my trip. Watch for the next one the last week of this month. I should have access to the net. If not I'll keep a log and write it down when I get back.

Mike
jmckee
RE: Trip to Cincinnati 2003/07/24 12:57:56 (permalink)
*sigh*...I remember when I worked downtown and could eat at Izzy's whenever I wanted..........Ah, nostalgia...

Great Triptik, Mike.
MikeS.
Fire Safety Admin
RE: Trip to Cincinnati 2003/07/26 05:47:03 (permalink)
Thanks jmckee, I too like Izzy's a lot. I should be beck in town next year and will be looking forward to the best Reuben around. Although I don't care for their potato pancakes. The Main & 6th st store has added a salad bar, basic but good. I preferred it to the Garfield and ??? store because of the salad bar.

There is a place in downtown Cleveland that has better pastrami and a darn good Reuben, unfortunately I don't remember it's name. It is about 3 blocks West of the Federal building and maybe one block South. I ever get back to Cleveland I'll definetely look them up.

I leave Monday fro Annapolis, although that trip has been cut short due to my youngest, 22, having back surgery scheduled for Thursday.

MikeS.
TJ Jackson
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4538
RE: Trip to Cincinnati 2003/07/26 23:08:20 (permalink)
I am truly suprised that you spent a week in Cincinnati and didn't go to Montgomery Inn. :-) You hit pretty much everything else, though.

Next time, make sure you make a stop at one of their three locations, preferably the boathouse downtown.

Recommendations: crab cake appetizer (quite good despite this not being maryland), dinner salad with the house vinagrette, slab of the house speciality of pork ribs with saratoga chips and extra sauce for the ribs and for dipping the chips. Oh, and the bbq sauce is available bottled at local grocers now....

Also, give goetta a second try. Cut it about twice the thickness of the average sausage patty, and let it fry on medium to high heat til each side is golden brown. Serve with eggs and toast w/ jelly.....

If in town for a week, it's certainly worth it to try the Maisonette, Cincinnati's 5 star french restaurant. Has been 5 star for a long time, longest in the midwest as far as I know. Quite pricey though.
MikeS.
Fire Safety Admin
RE: Trip to Cincinnati 2003/07/26 23:58:59 (permalink)
TJ, even though I'm on per diem I'm still frugal, read cheap... So I choose not to goto Montgomery Inn or Maisonette. 5 star French really isn't my bag anyways. Several of my co-workers went to Montgomery Inn and bragged about it. Several of them bought sauce to take home.
Besides I do a really mean slow-cooked BBQ, be it pork shoulder, pork ribs or beef brisket on my own. As a matter of fact my BBQ and I have a date for Sunday afternoon with 2 slabs of ribs and about 6 hours. Yummy!
TJ Jackson
Filet Mignon
RE: Trip to Cincinnati 2003/07/27 00:45:35 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by jmckee

*sigh*...I remember when I worked downtown and could eat at Izzy's whenever I wanted..........Ah, nostalgia...

Great Triptik, Mike.

Just FYI, and maybe you already knew this, but Citybeat recently rated Izzy's as the second best corned beef in Cinti......The details should still be available in www.citybeat.com
MikeS.
Fire Safety Admin
RE: Trip to Cincinnati 2003/07/27 23:42:59 (permalink)
TJ, thanks for the link. I found the article and next year I'll give Tropicana a try. I've eaten at the Carnegie deli and they do have the best. Just didn't know you could buy it anywhere else.
jmckee
RE: Trip to Cincinnati 2003/08/04 12:32:56 (permalink)
quote:

Thanks jmckee, I too like Izzy's a lot. I should be beck in town next year and will be looking forward to the best Reuben around. Although I don't care for their potato pancakes. The Main & 6th st store has added a salad bar, basic but good. I preferred it to the Garfield and ??? store because of the salad bar.

There is a place in downtown Cleveland that has better pastrami and a darn good Reuben, unfortunately I don't remember it's name. It is about 3 blocks West of the Federal building and maybe one block South. I ever get back to Cleveland I'll definetely look them up.

I leave Monday fro Annapolis, although that trip has been cut short due to my youngest, 22, having back surgery scheduled for Thursday.

MikeS.

Izzy's son attempted to franchise at one point, and left a little too much leeway in the agreement. There was a franchise near Xavier University that featured (!) HAM SANDWICHES.
Fllwfan
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 8
RE: Trip to Cincinnati 2003/08/12 09:58:11 (permalink)
"Also, give goetta a second try."

Yup, goetta surely is an acquired taste. In fact, I'd suggest that you go to try it at the Kellogg County House restaurant (breakfast/lunch only Wed-Sun) at Ferguson's Antique Mall 3742 Kellogg Ave. They do a fine job.
For another hit of German food, try Mecklenburg Gardens in Clifton, and don't miss out on their famous mocha pie...it's yummy.
A final word on chili, as long as you are over in Northern KY you owe it to yourself to try Dixie chili, you might find that you like it the best of all. Look for it in cans at the local Krogers too!
Enjoy,
Mary
jmckee
RE: Trip to Cincinnati 2003/08/12 12:24:12 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Fllwfan

A final word on chili, as long as you are over in Northern KY you owe it to yourself to try Dixie chili, you might find that you like it the best of all. Look for it in cans at the local Krogers too!
Enjoy,
Mary

Dixie Chili used to be the only place to get a 7-way: A 5-way with a chopped hotdog and one egg, fried, added. Ugh.
TJ Jackson
Filet Mignon
RE: Trip to Cincinnati 2004/07/16 10:08:01 (permalink)
MikeSh: The board admins have placed some restrictions on what topics should not be on the News forum, and so I am going to paste your recent Cincinnati questions here and simply continue your old thread. Much of the info contained herein is still quite relevant and useful, and new readers will get a look at this older thread.

That said, on with your question:
quote:

I just found out that I'll be leaving for Cincy this Sunday, the 18th. This will be my 3rd year in a row to go in July. Last yearI posted a travel log here about my gastronomic experiences while in route and while there. Do you fine folks want a repeat?

I'll be looking for new places to eat and will revisit a few old favorites.

I'll definetely be going to Grater's for ice cream and I found 3 different BBQ places to try. I'll be going to Izzy's for corned beef and pastrami sandwiches. Otherwise I'm looking for suggestions.

Oh, and lets not forget Jungle Jim's market. I'll hit this up on the way into town Sunday to stock the pantry at the kitchenette I'll have for the week.

MikeS.

First off, glad to have you again :-) I loved your original travelogue, will certainly enjoy this new one :-)

I'd divide this into Downtown (ie, you should be able to walk there) and those that will require a drive.

Breakfast - downtown

Chick-Fil-A
in the Carew Tower food court
The breakfast biscuit is suprisingly good.

First Watch
7th street near Main
Suprisingly good breakfasts considering this is a chain
[url='http://www.roadfood.com/Reviews/Writeup.aspx?ReviewID=1162&RefID=1162']Hathaways[/url]
Never had breakfast there, but the Sterns did, and appeared to like it. Woo! You can get goetta there :-)

Breakfast - not downtown

Sugar N Spice
on Reading Road in Bond Hill
My top pick in Cincinnati for breakfast. As roadfood-y as it gets, and excellent. Only open breakfast and early lunch hours.
http://www.enquirer.com/editions/2001/08/12/loc_all_are_welcome_at.html
http://cincinnati.citysearch.com/profile/8172796/?cslink=cs_boc_ew_3_4

The Original Pancake House
in Montgomery - my wife's fave
http://www.cincinnati.com/freetime/dining/reviews/050903_family_originalpancake.html

Price Hill Chili
in Price Hill
http://www.roadfood.com/Reviews/Writeup.aspx?ReviewID=1166&RefID=1166
http://home.fuse.net/pricehillchili/

The Anchor Grill
in Covington, Ky and open 24 hours a day.
http://www.cinweekly.com/content/2004/01/28/0128anchorgrill.asp
http://www.expedia.com/daily/vacations/cincinnati/guides/Restaurants/L4332884I1.asp?CCheck=1&

Lunch/Dinner - Downtown

Sakkio of Japan
Recommended by the Sundancer himself, as well as yours truly

The Big Easy
I have a group of friends who work downtown, and the Bourbon Chicken plate is hands down their favorite cheap lunch

Redfish
Corner of Elm and 7th
This is a sit down 'cajun' restaurant and bar, not too pricey at lunch, and I have never had a bead meal. Can't speak to it's 'loosiana' authenticity, it's just plain good.
http://www.cinweekly.com/content/2004/06/09/0609outtoeat_redfish.asp
http://www.citybeat.com/2002-10-10/cover5.shtml

Le Boxx Cafe
On Vine near 8th, across from the Library
Very good, regular lunch specials
http://www.leboxxcafe.com/

Burrito Joes
On 4th street near Sycamore
Overstuffed burritos with your basic rice and bean sides.

Mullane's Parkside Cafe
On Elm near 8th.
Famous for vegetarian fare, but they can add meat to any dish on request
http://www.cincinnati.com/freetime/dining/reviews/downtown.html

Arnolds
on Eighth Street near Main
One of the oldest restaurants in Cincinnati, recently added a cheap eats menu. Go early or late, or you'll be waiting for a table
http://www.cincinnati.com/freetime/dining/reviews/downtown.html
http://cincinnati.citysearch.com/profile/8153387/

Skyline Chili
Several locations around downtown
Probably better Cincinnati chili than the other big chain (Gold Star)

Izzy's
Also several locations.
Honestly, I think they are a bit overrated not to mention pricey for what you get, but they are on your to-try list, so go right ahead :-)

Lunch/Dinner - Not downtown

ZZ's Pizza
Eat Walnut Hills, just north east-ish of downtown
Our favorite "gourmet" pizza in Cincinnati
http://www.cincinnati.com/freetime/dining/reviews/071604_zzs_yum.html

[url='http://www.miospizza.com']Mio's Pizza[/url]
Many locations, see website
Fabulous thin crust and Chicago-style stuffed pizzas. If you like sesame seeds, ask for the sesame seed crust.

[url='http://www.larosas.com']LaRosa's Pizza[/url]
Many locations, see website
I mention LaRosa's because it is very, very popular in Cincinnati and is based here. Very good sauce. Go for the thin crust over the thicker varities for best experience. I still like Mio's better :-)

Ollie's Trolley
Over the Rhine
This is a little Trolley car that has been convertted into a food stand. No interior seating - heck, there is barely room to stand. GREAT burger and fries place. Neighborhood is a little rough.
http://www.cinweekly.com/content/2004/02/18/0218olliestrolley.asp

Blue Ash Chili
in Blue Ash, about 10 miles north of downtown
I think you've already been to Camp Washington Chili - time to try the place I think serves a better 3 way and cheese coney.
http://www.cincinnati.com/local/blueash/html_01282003_News_GNBApostcardChili_Late.html
http://www.cincinnati.com/freetime/dining/reviews/070204_blueashchili_yum.html
http://www.roadfood.com/Reviews/Writeup.aspx?ReviewID=513&RefID=513

Pit to Plate BBQ
Mt Healthy - about 7-8 miles north west-ish of downtown
Really, really excellent smoked pork ribs, pulled pork, brisket, texas chili, everything home made. Wonderful.
http://www.cincinnati.com/freetime/dining/reviews/031904_pittoplate_yum.html
http://www.cinweekly.com/content/2004/07/07/0707twofor20_pit-to-plate.asp
http://www.roadfood.com/Forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=3357&whichpage=1

Saigon Dragon
In Fairfield, a few miles north of Jungle Jims on the right hand side as you travel north on Rt 4.
This hole in the wall is one of the best kept secrets in Cincinnati. Really, really great chinese and vietnamese food, really low prices. Easily my favorite lunch spot in Northern Cincinnati
http://www.mixconnections.org/CinciDiningChinese.html

and let us not forget, since you missed it last time around

[url='http://www.montgomeryinn.com']Montgomery Inn[/url]
Do the Boathouse, which is just east of downtown on the river
I know there are readers here who hated it. I know there are also a lot pf people in Cincinnati who absolutely love it, myself included. Never had abad meal there, and they have a lot moe than ribs there. If you don't think the ribs will go over well, get the rib appetizer just to try, and order one of the non-bbq entrees, all of which are great. The saratoga chips are not to be missed, nor is their house vinegrette dressing.
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 18267
RE: Trip to Cincinnati 2004/07/16 12:37:10 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Lone Star

Well, I am enjoying your posts, keep going. Nothing like living vicariously...

I am still stunned over the fat-free buttermilk. Whoever heard of such a thing? I don't care for buttermilk to drink, but use it in cooking. Fat-free would be defeating the purpose I think.

You will be surprised, then, to learn that buttermilk is lower in fat then regular, whole milk.
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 18267
RE: Trip to Cincinnati 2004/07/16 13:47:52 (permalink)
What a great trip report. Thanks.
TJ Jackson
Filet Mignon
RE: Trip to Cincinnati 2004/07/16 17:04:24 (permalink)
From another (but related) thread:
quote:
Originally posted by greasewheel

I don't know if they have in in Cincy but in Covington at any convenience store they carry the infamous soda (pop) called Ale81. Very spicy and different type of ginger-ale. Try one if you get the chance.
This is indeed pretty good, and very regional to Kentucky, mainly central KY. Hard to find in greater cincinnati.
MikeS.
Fire Safety Admin
RE: Trip to Cincinnati 2004/07/17 19:55:19 (permalink)
Thanks TJ, I'm taking a break from packing right now. I already have the ice chest loaded so I can bring home the buttermilk :). Thanks for the great suggestions, especially for places to eat breakfast and lunch in downtown. I'll be a little time limited for lunch but dinner is wide open. I'll start the new traveloge Monday, proably.

MikeS.
TJ Jackson
Filet Mignon
RE: Trip to Cincinnati 2004/07/19 13:02:11 (permalink)
My top recommendation among everything: try Montgomery Inn.
Fllwfan
Junior Burger
RE: Trip to Cincinnati 2004/07/19 14:53:03 (permalink)
Walt's Hitching Post in NKY (3300 Madison Pike Covington , KY 41017 Phone: (859) 331-0494 ) is excellent for ribs too. Their sauce is not as sticky sweet as Montgomery Inn - it has a character of its own. They have awesome homefries with or without grilled onion, rye sticks with coarse salt and a house dressing that's tomato garlic.

If you like Indian, there's a unique place in Hyde Park called Cumin (3514 Erie Ave Phone: (513) 871 8714). Everything is distinctive and delicious. Try the eggplant chips.

For an upscale experience you could try the new French bistro in downtown: JeanRo (413 Vine St. 513-621-1465)

And again I'll make the pitch for breakfast or lunch at Kellogg Country House Restaurant in the Cincinnati Antiques Collective (formerly Ferguson's). Try the goetta (extra-crisp) 3742 Kellogg Ave open Wed-Sun.

Enjoy your week!
MG
Fllwfan
Junior Burger
RE: Trip to Cincinnati 2004/07/19 14:55:54 (permalink)
PS-If you go to Dayton this year, there's a Trader Joe's in Kettering!
MG
Wallyum
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 627
RE: Trip to Cincinnati 2004/07/20 00:34:56 (permalink)
Mike,
Just out of curiousity, what did you think of your dinner at Wertheim's? It's been a while since I ate there, but I remember it as being pretty good. My brother in law and I especially liked the sauerkraut balls. I think we had three orders between us. My entree (which I won't even try to pronounce,) was a stuffed beef roll that my mom made when I still lived at home. That was excellent. My wife, despite being of German heritage, wasn't as impressed with her meal so we haven't been back, but her memory isn't what it used to be.........
TJ Jackson
Filet Mignon
RE: Trip to Cincinnati 2004/07/23 09:19:58 (permalink)
MikeSh: looking forward to your trip report :-)

8/9/2004 *bump*
MikeS.
Fire Safety Admin
RE: Trip to Cincinnati 2004/08/14 02:57:33 (permalink)
I have been remiss on posting my 2004 trip report. I will try to get it out this week. We have just this week regained internet priviligies from work. That will help me get it out since my time at home is limited.

MikeS.
Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1