Trip to Daisy May's BBQ (no pics)

Author
billyboy
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 2445
2008/02/29 17:30:33 (permalink)

Trip to Daisy May's BBQ (no pics)

I was working on the west side of Manhattan the other day and decided to hit up Daisy May's BBQ (623 11th Avenue New York, NY 10036 phone# 212-977-1500) for lunch as it was within walking distance. I had the Plate Special (walk-in only) of the Tennessee Whiskey Beer Can Style Half Chicken with two sides. I chose the Sweet Potatoes with Brown Sugar and the newest side of Macaroni and Cheese for $13.00. I added a can of Barq's Root Beer and my total with tax came to $15.44. I didn't leave a tip as it's a cafeteria style place and no table service.

You walk in, go up to the counter, order your food, pay and move down the line and pick it up at the other end. Not a long trip, it's a small counter. You can see the sides in the trays before you order them though. I do like the wood ceilings and walls as they remind me of some camps I've stayed at when I was a kid.

But the most important thing is the food: The chicken had a great smoke flavor and the skin was nice and dark and had a subtle chew to it. However, the meat was somewhat dry. The macaroni and cheese was good, but nothing to write home about. Creamy, with a good texture, it had a decent cheese flavor, but it just didn't "pop" for me. The sweet potatoes were really good and very sweet, almost like a sweet potato pie filling with a nice thick texture. A good balance to the meat.

I've had the Kansas City Sweet and Sticky Pork Ribs before and they were amazing. Meaty, porky, smoky and the heavily sauced (which I don't usually like), but the sauce on these was really cooked on, almost caramelized. The meat pulled off fairly easily and I would definitely recommend them. The Rustic Creamy Corn with New York State Cheddar is pretty tasty, although I wasn't tasting the cheese, but the Baked Beans with Burnt Ends were a bit of a let down. I didn't see a single burnt end in there and they tasted more like a tomatoey stew, rather than baked beans.

All said, I would go back to work on the rest of the menu and maybe to actually get some pics of the place. If you go there with a group, you can get a whole pig, 1/2 pig or whole pork butt meal with all the fixings. (reservations required for those!

7 Replies Related Threads

mayor al
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 15307
    RE: Trip to Daisy May's BBQ (no pics) 2008/02/29 17:59:11 (permalink)
    Billy,
    A suggestion. Break up your post into smaller paragraph-like sections. With the tight single-spacing, it is very hard for some members to follow, line-to-line, your message.
    myterry2
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 532
    RE: Trip to Daisy May's BBQ (no pics) 2008/02/29 18:59:33 (permalink)
    Al...good point.
    doug_ua
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 94
    RE: Trip to Daisy May's BBQ (no pics) 2008/02/29 19:27:01 (permalink)
    Nice report...always looking to try different bbq here in NYC. I also figure you deserved an actual comment about the report, as opposed to just the way it was typed!
    John A
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4295
    RE: Trip to Daisy May's BBQ (no pics) 2008/03/01 08:06:02 (permalink)
    Billy, I cannot believe you left home without it " /> your camera that is. Thanks for another good report.
    RibDog
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 593
    RE: Trip to Daisy May's BBQ (no pics) 2008/03/01 08:32:38 (permalink)
    Billy,

Have you ever tried Southern Hospitality there in NYC? I have heard a few things about it and would be curious to hear your opinion on it.

John
    billyboy
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 2445
    RE: Trip to Daisy May's BBQ (no pics) 2008/03/01 08:59:22 (permalink)
    On my list of places. I probably won't go it alone as I want to make the most of the trip there, so I need to finagle someone into going with me.
    RibDog
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 593
    RE: Trip to Daisy May's BBQ (no pics) 2008/03/01 12:28:39 (permalink)
    I will look forward to your review.

John
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1