Trip to Dinosaur Bar-B-Que on 4/20/08 (with pics)

Author
billyboy
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 2393
2008/04/24 10:11:04 (permalink)

Trip to Dinosaur Bar-B-Que on 4/20/08 (with pics)

My gf and I got together with her family this past Sunday and chowed down at the Dinosaur in Harlem, NYC. I was very happy as a couple of her cousins had never been there before and they both loved it (even her cousin who really isn't into barbque)! I tried to get some pics of new things I haven't posted here already. I hope you all enjoy them almost as much as I did.

-bb

The Creole Spiked Deviled Eggs. One of my favorites. Cold, with a nice balance of mayo, mustard and vinegar in the filling. Nobody else wanted to try them, then they actually tasted them and loved them! Go figure.

Fried Green Tomatoes with Buttermilk Ranch dressing. They are pretty good and the whole table loved them. Crispy on the outside and firm, yet not crunchy on the inside.

The all time favorite Wango Tango wings. Meaty, spicy, smokey, wonderful char from the grill, and lots of flavor from the sauce. I grew up in Central NY eating lots of buffalo wings, but I'd take these ones any day of the week.

My Pork-Sket sandwich and sides. This shot was to focus on the sides. I had the barbque beans and carrot raisin salad. The beans were great as usual, thick, goopy and laced with just a bit of meat to give a change in texture and flavor. The carrot raisin salad was a real winner with me. I think it was mayo based and the carrots weren't raw, but had a nice crunch nonetheless and the raisins provided a welcome sweetness.

A money shot of the sandwich. They forgot my side of Garlic-Dill pickles, but when I asked for some, they brought out a cardboard boat full of them. Nice! They are a great palate cleanser. This double decker has smoked brisket covered in cheese and jalapenos on the bottom and pulled pork with coleslaw on top. It didn't start with sauce on it, but I added some as I really dig their sauce and I think it does add something rather than distract from the meat. First, my only complaint about this sandwich is that I find their brisket to be fattier than I care for. I suppose I could ask for lean brisket on it. I'll have to try that next time. On to the good stuff. The brisket does have a wicked crust on it and is supremely smokey. I thought the cheese might be a distraction, but It worked really well, binding everything together and providing a welcome flavor. The jalapenos were hot, but not blow your head off. The pork was smokey, soft and just one of the best things ever. I love the texture of their pork and I could eat it by the plateful. The slaw was crunchy and had a cooling effect. A real winner for me was the sesame seeded bun. Sturdy, yet soft and great for tearing apart and mopping up the remnants of my meal. A unique sandwich that is aces in my book!

My gf's ribs and brisket platter with beans, cornbread and mac & cheese. These ribs are very tender and smokey and I hope to travel some more this year as I haven't sampled a lot of ribs, but these are my yardstick so far. The mac & cheese was exceptionally good today. Very cheesy and stringy with a nice crust on it.

On to dessert...

Key Lime Pie. Sweet, tart and with a graham cracker crust, not the best I've ever had, but pretty good.

Apple-Cranberry cobbler with ice cream. This was really, really good!! Sweet and tart as well and the crust was crunchy on top with a soft inside and it became a glorious mess when the ice cream began to melt!

Banana-Coconut pudding with toasted coconut and a dinosaur shaped cookie. Nice combination of flavors, but I didn't get to sample the cookie.

25 Replies Related Threads

exsquidao
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 409
    RE: Trip to Dinosaur Bar-B-Que on 4/20/08 (with pics) 2008/04/24 10:16:50 (permalink)
    Excellent post, good job.
    myterry2
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 532
    RE: Trip to Dinosaur Bar-B-Que on 4/20/08 (with pics) 2008/04/24 10:17:05 (permalink)
    Yummy...count me in the next time I am in that area. Great pics...THANX.
    Greymo
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3716
    RE: Trip to Dinosaur Bar-B-Que on 4/20/08 (with pics) 2008/04/24 10:17:45 (permalink)
    It looks like this place is still serving really outstanding food. Eating here is one of the few things that I miss about Central New York!
    leethebard
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6243
    RE: Trip to Dinosaur Bar-B-Que on 4/20/08 (with pics) 2008/04/24 10:22:55 (permalink)
    Wow...I don't know what to eat first..usually something stands out...but this all looks so great...I'll start with one of those deviled eggs ,make that two, and go from there!!!!
    billyboy
    RE: Trip to Dinosaur Bar-B-Que on 4/20/08 (with pics) 2008/04/24 10:28:33 (permalink)
    I forgot to say that this is the location in Harlem, NYC, not Syracuse.
    ann peeples
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 8323
    RE: Trip to Dinosaur Bar-B-Que on 4/20/08 (with pics) 2008/04/24 16:04:09 (permalink)
    Excellent pics and report,as usual,Billyboy...
    Mosca
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 2979
    RE: Trip to Dinosaur Bar-B-Que on 4/20/08 (with pics) 2008/04/24 19:21:39 (permalink)
    Wow, man. Great stuff. Dinosaur sets the bar really high, for sure!
    joerogo
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4522
    RE: Trip to Dinosaur Bar-B-Que on 4/20/08 (with pics) 2008/04/24 19:37:19 (permalink)
    Dinosaur does an unbelievable job. Great pics and variety of food ordered.

I have a supplier in Scranton that brings them down from Syracuse every year for a customer appreciation party. They show up with a mobile smoker and all the fixens. The finished product is as good as being served in their restaurant.

I also tried the Rochester location. Excellent. Its good to know that they are so consistent.
    Cosmos
    • Total Posts : 1449
    RE: Trip to Dinosaur Bar-B-Que on 4/20/08 (with pics) 2008/04/25 08:00:26 (permalink)
    Last week I ordered take out from the happy hour bar food menu in Syracuse (after a couple of beers of course): Pulled pork egg rolls (yes thats right!!!), Deviled eggs, wings, pulled pork quesedilla, and a couple of side salads with barbe-bleu dressing...Man was that good.

The duck sauce for the egg rolls is home made, I suspect with Thai garlic chili paste...Yumm...now if I can only get them to serve them with their BBQ pork fried rice in Syracuse...(John, you listening?)
    Cosmos
    RE: Trip to Dinosaur Bar-B-Que on 4/20/08 (with pics) 2008/04/25 08:10:41 (permalink)
    I have to say, I'm sorry I missed the Naughty Little Pig show last Wednesday night with 'Lil Jess the hostess (and waitress extraordinaire). She puts it on once a month in Syracuse, sort of a modern vaudevillian affair with a piquant hint of freak show...Go for dinner and stay for the show..I caught the first one last month...fun stuff.
    John A
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4295
    RE: Trip to Dinosaur Bar-B-Que on 4/20/08 (with pics) 2008/04/26 07:14:55 (permalink)
    Very nice Billy, up to your usual standards for a report & pics.
    Baah Ben
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3026
    RE: Trip to Dinosaur Bar-B-Que on 4/20/08 (with pics) 2008/04/26 09:42:43 (permalink)
    That sandwich looks amazing. Cobbler, banana pudding...Beautiful.

Any reason the place is called Dinosauer? If previously mentioned, maybe you can direct me to that post. Also, the address in Harlem....

So, is this a pretty famous place? How does it compare to Blue Smoke? Tennessee Mt? Anyone?
    billyboy
    RE: Trip to Dinosaur Bar-B-Que on 4/20/08 (with pics) 2008/04/26 10:52:32 (permalink)
    Hey Ben,

I have the Dinosaur Cookbook at home and the owner, John Stage mentions in it that his buddy Dino , was one of the original partners in Dinosaur Productions (the company they formed when they were catering to bike rallies, state fairs and regional festivals on the road).

Both the Syracuse location and the Harlem location have reviews on the site with links to the Dinosaur website.

Pretty famous I'd say with a strong following. The Syracuse one opened in 1988, Rochester in 2001 and Harlem in 2004. Harlem has been going strong since it opened and for a table, you need to call about a week in advance. If I'm flying solo or meeting a buddy there, we'll usually grab a seat at the bar or at the high top tables.

I'm pretty biased, as most know, towards Dinosaur, having grown up in CNY near the original. I spent many a night there and have waited for up to 2 hours for my 'que there (they don't take reservations in Syracuse) and it was worth every minute upon the first bite. I wouldn't dare say it's the best in the world as my barbque experience is limited to say the least. But it is the best I've ever had in many respects. I think their wings, pulled pork and ribs are the best I'VE had so far. There are things that I don't think are as strong. I'm not a huge fan of their prime rib and the brisket is usually fattier than I care for. While I love their beans, I think R.U.B. in NYC has the best I've ever had.

The sides, for me, are all aces at Dinosaur and I've always loved whatever I've had. I'm itching to try those pulled pork eggrolls that Cosmos tried!

I've never been much of a Blue Smoke fan. I've been twice and it's BBQ with a somewhat gourmet twist. Pricey, IMHO and it's good, but it doesn't move me. I think Tennessee Mtn. closed a couple of years ago. They were in the Soho nabe of Manhattan. I never went there, but I had some of their BBQ at the BBQ Festival in Hudson River Park (they do a BBQ Festival of just NYC based BBQ places every August). Their pulled pork and sides were very uninspired to me and the pork didn't have any smoke flavor and I thought it was mushy. Not sure if they smoked their meat or if they did, if they had a smoker on site or hauled it over from the restaurant. Sometimes that can make a difference.

I'd heard rumors from a Queens based friend that Pearson's might be re-opening. Anyone know more about that? I loved their brisket and the BBQ slider sandwiches on Portugese rolls.

A pic for you:
    I thought you might be interested in this post:

http://www.roadfood.com/forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=15142 (from my trip to the Dinosaur tent at the NY State Fair in 2006)
    Mrs.Crunch
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 199
    RE: Trip to Dinosaur Bar-B-Que on 4/20/08 (with pics) 2008/04/26 11:42:45 (permalink)
    Ohhh my gosh!! The best wings ever!! Locals are so lucky to have this place!!
    My last meal on earth would include their wings.....i recieved their cookbook for my birthday last year...
    Thank you so much for posting!!
    billyboy
    RE: Trip to Dinosaur Bar-B-Que on 4/20/08 (with pics) 2008/04/26 13:26:38 (permalink)
    Yeah, my cookbook has lots of stains on it and is taped up in places with lots of notes and post-its all over it. A well-loved book (and I don't even have a grill)!
    Baah Ben
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3026
    RE: Trip to Dinosaur Bar-B-Que on 4/20/08 (with pics) 2008/04/27 15:19:26 (permalink)
    Thanks for the info BillyBoy....
    Twinwillow
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5065
    RE: Trip to Dinosaur Bar-B-Que on 4/20/08 (with pics) 2008/04/27 15:39:11 (permalink)
    Your killing me. Great looking chow!
    Scorereader
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5550
    RE: Trip to Dinosaur Bar-B-Que on 4/20/08 (with pics) 2008/04/28 10:23:11 (permalink)
    BillyBoy:
    As you know, I'm a huge Dino BBQ fan. I have only been to the Syracuse location - since I gre up there and the bulk of my family is still there. But, your pics definately are making me consider a trip to Harlem the next time I get up to city. Great pics and descriptions!
    Rustywolf
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 176
    RE: Trip to Dinosaur Bar-B-Que on 4/20/08 (with pics) 2008/04/28 12:39:42 (permalink)
    Billy - Great job! Dinosaur Harlem is amazingly good. But I cannot imagine where you found better key lime pie. Their version tops my all-time list. Their fried rice is awesome, too, as a side dish.
    SeamusD
    • Total Posts : 1001
    RE: Trip to Dinosaur Bar-B-Que on 4/20/08 (with pics) 2008/04/28 15:57:48 (permalink)
    I'm currently sitting in my office, just a few blocks from the Syracuse location. It's a favorite spot for fueling up during late night work sessions at the plant. I've had countless meals there, and have had exactly two bad meals there over the past 15 years since I first went, not a bad track record.

The Wango Tango wings are my weakness, I could eat my weight in them... I'd like them even better if they left them on the grill a little longer and crisped them up just a bit more, but even so they're amazing.
    bbqkingdab
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 1
    RE: Trip to Dinosaur Bar-B-Que on 4/20/08 (with pics) 2008/04/29 02:34:56 (permalink)
    i wish that place was closer,we dont have that kind of dining around here!
    amini1
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 49
    RE: Trip to Dinosaur Bar-B-Que on 4/20/08 (with pics) 2008/04/29 09:17:03 (permalink)
    Nice report billyboy. Does the cookbook have their wings recipe in it? I love grilled and or smoked wings and would definitely get the cookbook.
    SurrealGourmet
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 93
    RE: Trip to Dinosaur Bar-B-Que on 4/20/08 (with pics) 2008/04/29 18:05:53 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by amini1

Nice report billyboy. Does the cookbook have their wings recipe in it? I love grilled and or smoked wings and would definitely get the cookbook.

I have their book and I believe it does have the recipe in it. I will check tonight and report back. You need to order the Wango Tango sauce from their website or other outlets though. I always have some in my house!

Their book is cheaper on Amazon than their own site though.
    SurrealGourmet
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 93
    RE: Trip to Dinosaur Bar-B-Que on 4/20/08 (with pics) 2008/04/29 18:09:16 (permalink)
    I forgot to add that you will need their Cajun Foreplay rub to make them "authentic". I think I have 4 bottles of that left. It's nice and spicy!!
    Cosmos
    RE: Trip to Dinosaur Bar-B-Que on 4/20/08 (with pics) 2008/04/30 12:10:15 (permalink)
    I have done the wings recipe from the cookbook...they turn out great everytime (except one winter when I burned for a super bowl party...too cold to watch them..)

I do think that the restaurant actually brines them, but I could be wrong on that...
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1