Trip to Hill Country NYC 3/31/08-with pics!

Author
billyboy
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 2434
2008/04/01 01:00:20 (permalink)

Trip to Hill Country NYC 3/31/08-with pics!

3/31/08-My buddy and I went to Hill Country Barbeque Market last night to grab some 'que and shoot the breeze about the acting biz. My goal was to try some things that I hadn't had yet. We arrived around 6:30 pm and it wasn't crowded at all. We were seated right away. Here are some shots I took inside and outside.

I really love this sign!

An ode to the Hill Country of Texas.

B&W pictures of the Kreuz Market staff.

Don't lose your ticket!!!!!!

Just follow the rules-pretty straightforward.

Right above the bar. This was the place for good barbeque last night.

The sandwich board outside advertising live music.

Just in case you didn't see the board.

Trey's lean brisket and beef ribs. Sorry I couldn't get a better shot. After three tries, I didn't want to keep him waiting to eat. The beef ribs looked meaty and tender. He liked them a lot and really went in for the brisket.

My 1/4 Market Chicken, Jalapeno-Cheddar sausage ring and crackers. I really wanted to try the whole Beer Can game Hen as I've never had it beofre, but they were out. The all white meat, as requested was smoky, moist and tender. The sausage was not as good as usual, a bit mushy on the inside, but okay. When I picked up my meats, the counterman pulled out a full plastic pack of saltines and moved his knife down the package, watching the whole time for my nod, at which he cut thru the package and wrapped the saltines up with my meat. Nice touch.

My Texas Black-Eyed Caviar and EAK's Bowl of Red (chili). I'd had the peas before and wasn't impressed as they were undercooked. These were spot on, somewhat soft, and retaining a slight chew. There were some red and green peppers and onions mixed in as well. A nice, cool complement to the meat. The Bowl of Red was something I've never had anywhere before and I loved it. A very spicy brew filled with chunks of beef. Some of it seemed to have broken down, but I don't think it was ground beef. I wish I had taken notes as I ate it because now I'm struggling to remember the flavors. I could make a meal out of the large size of this and a nice hunk of cornbread on a cold winter's day. I also picked up some Skillet Cornbread with Ancho Honey Butter which was great. Nice crust on top, studded with corn in the middle and very moist. The butter had a nice balance of spcie and sweetness and I made the most of it, crumbling it into my chili, alternating with the saltines. I left the cornbread pic out as it didn't coe out too well.

Red velvet cupcakes.

A shot of some desserts: PB&J cupcakes, German chocolate cupcakes and Ancho chili cherry brownies. They look tempting, but I know their desserts are pricey, so I passed on them tonight.

I also picked up a 1/4 lb of lean brisket with bread and some pickled cucumber salad for my GF to go and the total same to $32 and change. Not bad for a night out in NYC.

4/3/08-Just a quick added note: Hill Country is now offering sandwiches and combo specials. They had a BBQ Beef sandwich on the board the night I went there and they also had flyers on the tables with three different combos listed. The first one sounded right up my alley: 1/4 of lean brisket, 1 beef rib, 1 pork rib, a sausage ring and 2 sides for $25.00. The second special was around $45.00 and the third one was around $75.00 and were both geared to feed multiple people. I don't know if a lot of people complained about the a la carte pricing, but I'm glad to see these being offered. I'd like to see some pulled pork on the menu, but being a Texas heavy place, it's not likely to happen.

5 Replies Related Threads

bigcab
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 99
    RE: Trip to Hill Country NYC 3/31/08-with pics! 2008/04/01 07:59:12 (permalink)
    nice photos and review..thanks !
    John A
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4295
    RE: Trip to Hill Country NYC 3/31/08-with pics! 2008/04/01 08:15:25 (permalink)
    Another keeper report Billy. When you gonna get to http://www.southernhospitalitybbq.com/index.asp ?
    ann peeples
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 8484
    RE: Trip to Hill Country NYC 3/31/08-with pics! 2008/04/01 17:50:44 (permalink)
    Billyboy-always enjoy your reports.A bit of history, great food descriptions, and great pics!!
    MiamiDon
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4306
    RE: Trip to Hill Country NYC 3/31/08-with pics! 2008/04/02 07:43:51 (permalink)
    Great post, Billyboy.

I have to confess that when I read the title, I thought to myself, "What neighborhood in NYC is called 'Hill Country'?

D'oh!
    kozel
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 838
    RE: Trip to Hill Country NYC 3/31/08-with pics! 2008/04/05 12:51:14 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by MiamiDon

Great post, Billyboy.

I have to confess that when I read the title, I thought to myself, "What neighborhood in NYC is called 'Hill Country'?

D'oh!

Murray Hill?
    Lenox Hill?
    Sugar Hill?
    Boerum Hill, no that's Brooklyn.
    Clinton Hill or Cobble Hill, no they're Brooklyn too.
    Forest Hills, no that's Queens.
    McGraw Hill, no that's a company.
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1