Trip to J & G Texas Weiners - Dunellen NJ

Author
John Sagi
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 146
2009/04/04 17:32:17 (permalink)

Trip to J & G Texas Weiners - Dunellen NJ

Mom wanted a hot dog and a ride, so it was 3pm and I didn't want to hit any traffic on the way home. So ........

I've wanted to try T & G Texas Weiners for a while and I can take the back roads home. When I got there I lucked out and found a parking space in front,  so I took a picture. I went in and was greeted with a pleasant hello how are you and in the same sentence why were you taking pictures. They laughed and said they thought I came in to take the customer in the first seat away. I told them first I would like to hot dogs with chili and mustard. I then told them about my hot dog website. They called for Jim the owner who came out of the back room. I asked Jim what brand hot dog he used and he hesitated (I told him he don't have to tell me if he didn't want to) he reached down brought up a box that read Grote & Weigel Texas Wieners natural casing and had a big smile.
We had the Hot Dogs with chili and mustard.

The hot dog was grilled perfectly. The chili was the dark Texas Chili which thought to be very tasty. I was expecting spicy and with a lot of onions. There were no visible onions and it was mild. I would put the chili at the top of the list for the Texas style chili.
Mom loved the hot dog and rated it the best she has had since we’ve been touring.
I was going to get a second hot dog, but mom who don’t usually finish a regular hot dog, so I thought I’d finish hers. Well, she liked the hot dog so much, she wouldn’t put it down. I think she knew I’d grab as soon as she puts it down.

Mom attacking her hot dog.

Javier grilling our hot dogs.
I like when the grill is in the front window. Brings me back to the sixties.
post edited by John Sagi - 2009/04/04 17:34:05

2 Replies Related Threads

ken8038
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1595
    Re:Trip to J & G Texas Weiners - Dunellen NJ 2009/04/05 15:02:45 (permalink)
    Thanks for the great writeup John. It's been several years since I've been there, I think I'll give it another try based on your report.
    Wienie Will
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 16
    Re:Trip to J & G Texas Weiners - Dunellen NJ 2009/04/06 10:38:55 (permalink)
    Thanks for the write-up John. I'm a relative newcomer to the wild, wacky, wonderful world of the wiener...

Let me re-phrase that: I am striving valiantly to join the ranks of the Wienie Cognoscente.

So much so that I "nailed up" my own web page on the topic (http://www.margaritawill.com/hotdogs).

I'm in Baltimore - which is not one of the Hot Dog Hot Spots of America, so I'm still trying to get my hands around (so to speak) some of these regional hot dog "presentations".

Detroit's "Coney Island" dog, West Virginia's "slaw dog", New Jersey's "Texas Wiener" and any number of other variations on the presentation of our favorite tube steak...

Reading reviews by people like you allows me to come closer to hot dog heaven.

(Now if only my computer had that "scratch and sniff" USB peripheral...)
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1