Trip to Memphis and Back Pt.1

Author
MikeS.
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 5466
2007/10/22 21:04:11 (permalink)

Trip to Memphis and Back Pt.1

I left home Sunday the 21st headed for Nashville to spend the night with family there. I was all ready to take my truck when late Saturday PP offered to let me take my car instead. So I did The car is a much nicer ride and gets a lot better mileage then the truck. Matter of fact I averaged 29mpg doing an average of 72mph from WV to Nashville.

On the way down I stopped outside Roanoke, Va at the Home Place for Sunday lunch, or dinner as they call it. This has been reviewed before, by me, on my last trip to Memphis 4 years ago.

Memphis you ask? All I've talked about so far is getting to Nashville, well hang-on that is day 2 of my trip.

The Home Place is only open Th - Sunday for dinner (not lunch) well except Sunday they open at 11am. They serve family style, your choice of 2 meats and several sides for $13 and 3 meats for 14. I couldn't decide between the country ham (usually too salty for me) or the roast beef and the fried chicken. I went with the roast and chicken and the very nice server lady brought me a slice of ham too

(Note to self; Be very careful when opening a brewski that has been in the freezer a bit too long. (Don't ask))

The ham was tasty, so much so I bought a 1/4 lb to go, to snack on while driving the next 8 hours to N'ville. The roast was pretty good, the fried chicken was very tasty and the cole slaw was some of the best I've had. The pinto beans were ok and I don't do plain green beans. The spiced fried apples were great and the mashed potatoes and gravy were heavenly.

Now before you go screaming for pictures... My camera was DOA. It still is.

Since this is family style you get to have 2nd, 3rd, 4th even. I stopped at 2nd on the chicken, taters and gravy and another round of fried apples for dessert. Oh wait, I forgot to mention the homemade biscuit and homemade apple butter I ate. I also got 2 pints of the apple butter to go, 1 for me and 1 for the cousins in N'ville.

Ya know, I don't even like Budweiser any more. Oh well it was free. I'll stop at a store tomorrow.

For those of you with decent memories, I stopped at a Kroger super market a couple miles from my hotel and bought a gallon of buttermilk for my stay here in Memphis. I'll stop in Harrisonburg on my way home and buy several gallons to have and share with the family.

I made really good time, for the most part, had some bridge work about mile 90 on I-81 in Va. Then went thru Knoxville on I-40 and it is STILL tore up. Turned onto Tn 109 and sat for about 90 minutes, there was a wreck on the bridge over the Cumberland river.

When I finally got to the family's house I had the best meal of the day. My cousin is a great cook. She had baked city ham, broccoli casserole, fabulous potato salad and green beans. (See above) For dessert we had fresh peach cobbler. God I stuffed myself again.

This morning I left N'ville after a couple stops in the driving rain. It's been raining in Tn since at least 0530 this morning.

More to come later.

1 Reply Related Threads

Sundancer7
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 13525
    RE: Trip to Memphis and Back Pt.1 2007/10/23 04:09:16 (permalink)
    Sorry for the rain but Tennessee really needs a lot of it.

I will try a repeat of last Saturday this coming Saturday. BE sure and tell Poverty about the Louis on Broadway for spaghetti

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1