Trip to Philly, with a stop in Edison, NJ.

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
Foodosaurus
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 622
2009/05/26 20:53:22 (permalink)

Trip to Philly, with a stop in Edison, NJ.

My friend Nikki was having a birthday party in Philadelphia a couple weeks ago.  So a few of my friends and I decided to take a road trip from Connecticut to see her.  Even though my friends aren't as into food as I am, the knew I was going to have to make some stops

Day 1: Friday May 15, 2009.  Edison, NJ.

It's about a five hour drive from the middle of Connecticut to Philadelphia, so my first thought was to see what was on the way....  And boy did I luck out!  Edison, NJ is almost exactly half way.  I was so excited that I was finally going to get to go to Harold's New York Deli Restaurant.

As we were walking in we saw two men, each with both hands full of carry-out bags.  Once we sat down and were given our menus;

we ordered our drinks.

Three waters, two Chocolate Egg Creams with Fox's Ubet, of course.

And the biggest Chocolate Shake I've ever seen.

Obviously my friend Ray felt the same way.

The it was time for the "World's Largest" Pickle Bar and Rye Bread.

I went with 2 Half Sours, Health Salad, 1 Kosher Dill, and 1 Sour.  The half sours were perfect and the health salad was as good as I thought it would be.  I also took four slices of very fresh Rye to make two additional sandwiches out of the Pastrami that I ordered.

While we were waiting, the next table over had ordered what can only be described as; a Pancake Pizza.  I didn't actually notice it on the menu, so I'm only guessing by the size.  It also looks as thought it is chocolate chip.

First to arrive at our table was a very large Potato Knish, with plenty of spicy mustard.  I wasn't able to take any pictures after cutting into it, because my hands began to not be "camera appropriate."

Then came Ray's (Goyish)  Bacon Cheeseburger with what seemed to be an entire slab of bacon!

And finally, the moment that I had been waiting for.....  My (smaller of the two sizes, aptly called the "Large") Pastrami Sandwich with even more spicy mustard.

God Bless America!

I made two more sandwiches out of it;  one for Jeff and one for myself to be drunken leftovers later that night.  While making the sandwiches, I noticed that the napkin kindly stated, "Please do not open."  Which we found quite peculiar.  Once opened, this is what we saw.

On our way out I had to take some pictures of the Cakes in the cooler, I was flabbergasted at the size.

Then I noticed the selection of Dr.  Brown's Sodas that they had; including a whole shelf of Cel-Ray.  Sorry grandma, I still can't do it.  I had recently had a Cream Soda when I was at Mohegan Sun, so I decided to have a Diet Black Cherry, which was a little too sweet.  I'll stick with the cream from now on.

Day 2: Saturday May 16, 2009.  Philadelphia, PA.

I've only been to Philly twice in my life.  The first time was on my 7th Grade field trip, and I didn't have a Philly Steak Sandwich.  So the second time that I made it out there, last year at this time;  I had to make up for lost time by having two "Whiz Wit" from Pat's King of Steaks.

I decided that this year should start off the same way.  But I wasn't going to slam two of them this time.... I had other places in mind for afterward.

Obligatory shot of "enemy territory."

Directions for ordering:

One Whiz Wit, still on the counter.

A couple shots of the meat and cans of Whiz.

My first bite.... I look a bit too happy.

After Pat's we decided to go right up the road to try another staple of Philadelphia Cuisine, a Hot Pretzel from Center City Soft Pretzel Company

But I GOT TRAVELING MANED!  I guess I truly am a Roadfooder now.  We didn't get discouraged;  well, I didn't.  I think my friends had about had enough of all of this.  They allowed me one more stop though.  And this was the one I was really looking forward to.

Tony Luke's Roast Pork.

We ordered 1 Roast Pork, and 1 Roast Pork Italian with Broccoli Rabe, to share between four of us.

The pictures here didn't come out very good because of the lighting.  This is the only one that came out remotely well.  I just couldn't wait to go to the car, I had to dig in right there.

So overall  I think I'd have to say that I can understand why people are saying the Roast Pork Italian is the "Next Big Thing" in Philly.  But once it makes its way on to menus at bars around the country, it too may lose some of its luster.  But to get the real thing you'll have to make the pilgrimage to Philadelphia, PA.

On our way home Sunday afternoon I had to snap one more picture of a local favorite.

Tastykake "Tasty-Klair Pie."  It tasted almost like a Hostess Fried Pie, but you could tell it was baked.  It also tasted much fresher than most convenience store pastries.

My friends and I had a great time on this trip.  And I even think they enjoyed following me and my camera around.  Can't wait to do it all again soon!

post edited by Foodosaurus aka braunsteinm - 2009/05/26 20:55:43

30 Replies Related Threads

Bruce Bilmes and Susan Boyle
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1350
    Re:Trip to Philly, with a stop in Edison, NJ. 2009/05/26 21:24:44 (permalink)
    As someone who grew up in the land of Hostess and Drake's, I have to admit that since moving to Tastykakeland I've learned that Tastykakes are far, far superior.
    ellen4641
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3531
    Re:Trip to Philly, with a stop in Edison, NJ. 2009/05/26 21:38:18 (permalink)
    YIPPEE !!  You finally made it to Harold's !!
    What a great pastrami/cheesesteak Trip Report, Braunsteinm !
    I love your regional pics of the Tony Lukes signage, etc..
    And, BTW, you sure look cute as you're biting into that pastrami sandwich!

The pastrami looks just like the beautiful one I had a bunch of weeks ago!
    You've got me jonesing for one right now! (I only wish I lived closer!)

Did you get to meet THE Harold himself?  He's usually at the podium happily seating people

Hey , it's ironic,  that Bruce and I were the first ones to jump on your Trip Report !
    Since we both tend to do the most Trip Reporting from Harold's, it's only FITTING, lol !!
    post edited by ellen4641 - 2009/05/26 21:40:52
    Foodosaurus
    Double Cheeseburger
    Re:Trip to Philly, with a stop in Edison, NJ. 2009/05/26 21:47:35 (permalink)

Harold wasn't at the podium, or if it was him;  He's a cute blonde woman. :)

I'm always jonesing for a pastrami.  Its not easy to find here in Central CT.
    billyboy
    • Total Posts : 2464
    Re:Trip to Philly, with a stop in Edison, NJ. 2009/05/26 21:50:21 (permalink)
    Great report man!  I had a ton of Italian for dinner and now I'm hungry all over again, especially after seeing that Roast Pork sandwich.  One of my favorites.  I've downed a few sandwiches and that shake at Harold's.  Thanks for all the excellent pics and narrative.  
    ayersian
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 903
    Re:Trip to Philly, with a stop in Edison, NJ. 2009/05/26 21:54:33 (permalink)
    Very nice report, Braunsteinm -- my mouth waters over those sandwiches.  You & I had very similar experiences at Harold's.  The cakes especially wowed us, as we took home close to two pounds of leftovers and couldn't fathom dessert at the time!    Chris

BillyCheesesteak
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 15
    Re:Trip to Philly, with a stop in Edison, NJ. 2009/05/26 22:02:48 (permalink)
    As near as I can tell, you only made one large mistake.  While at Pat's, you should have taken a walk across the street to visit what you called enemy territory and had an even better cheesesteak at Geno's.  Better steak, cleaner area, and Joey Vento is a true Patriot and friend of Philadelphia's finest.  I was just there today after a doctor's visit in Philly. (I didn't tell my doctor I was going to Geno's).
    Bruce Bilmes and Susan Boyle
    • Total Posts : 1350
    Re:Trip to Philly, with a stop in Edison, NJ. 2009/05/26 22:37:48 (permalink)
    You know, about that pancake at Harold's - we've never tried, or seen, the pancakes at Harold's, but I believe those are Harold's regular-size pancakes.  Looking at the menu, I see that a single chocolate chip pancake goes for $11.95.  A stack of 'em (three) costs $19.45. 
    TnTinCT
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 498
    Re:Trip to Philly, with a stop in Edison, NJ. 2009/05/27 12:01:11 (permalink)
    Here we go again - I don't know if I can take one more pic of that beautiful pastrami from Harolds - it's on our must-do list for this summer.  Excellent pics and thanks for the great write up!
    ann peeples
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 8695
    Re:Trip to Philly, with a stop in Edison, NJ. 2009/05/27 12:22:18 (permalink)
    Great report-i never get tired of seeing pastrami and cheesesteaks!
    mar52
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 8395
    Re:Trip to Philly, with a stop in Edison, NJ. 2009/05/27 12:57:47 (permalink)
    Nice teeth!

Mike, I'm plotzing!  (Maybe there's an h in there somewhere)

Your report is superb!!!  I think I live on the wrong coast.  I'd trade you taquitos anytime for those cheesesteak and pastrami sandwiches.

Excellent!

Foodosaurus
    Double Cheeseburger
    Re:Trip to Philly, with a stop in Edison, NJ. 2009/05/27 13:27:25 (permalink)
    mar52

Nice teeth!

Mike, I'm plotzing!  (Maybe there's an h in there somewhere)

Your report is superb!!!  I think I live on the wrong coast.  I'd trade you taquitos anytime for those cheesesteak and pastrami sandwiches.

Excellent!

Shipping Directions for Cielito Lindo Taquitos:

- 1.  Purchase 3 Dozen UNCOOKED Taquitos and sauce, and as many orders as you'd like to eat at that time.
    - 2.  Eat a Churro Relleno from Mr. Churro.
    - 3.  Once home, freeze taquitos in a single layer.
    - 4.  Wrap frozen taquitos in 3 packages of 8.
    - 5.  Pour sauce into 3 separate containers and freeze.
    - 6.  Pack in a cooler with a good amount of BLUE ICE.
    - 7.  Address and sent to ME!

Sorry, but I don't know how to send a cheesesteak or a pastrami sandwich.....

phlmaestro
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 391
    Re:Trip to Philly, with a stop in Edison, NJ. 2009/05/27 13:34:13 (permalink)
    My compliments on putting in a shot of the tasty-klair pie. It's my favorite pre-packaged cake/pie snack. I've eaten more of those and tasty-kake lemon pies over the years than I care to admit. The tasty-klairs usually aren't available during warm weather months, I assume because the chocolate topping would melt onto the wrapper. I guess they've either changed that policy or maybe May is still too early to pull them for the season.
    ellen4641
    Filet Mignon
    Re:Trip to Philly, with a stop in Edison, NJ. 2009/05/27 14:31:03 (permalink)
    TnTinCT

Here we go again - I don't know if I can take one more pic of that beautiful pastrami from Harolds - it's on our must-do list for this summer.  Excellent pics and thanks for the great write up!

Yeah , we're killing you guys up in Connecticut, huh ?!?

(I don't think  that your REIN'S Deli is even allowed to be said in the same sentence as Harold's...!)

Foodosaurus
    Double Cheeseburger
    Re:Trip to Philly, with a stop in Edison, NJ. 2009/05/27 14:35:15 (permalink)

Ellen, It certainly is not.  When I told people at work about Harold's; they tried to tell me how good Rein's is.  Now I've been there, and it is alright.... but it can't compare to Harold's or any of the Deli's in NYC.
    Baah Ben
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3026
    Re:Trip to Philly, with a stop in Edison, NJ. 2009/05/27 15:45:30 (permalink)
    Braunsteinm - I have said for years...Harold is Deli G-D.  The King of Food Excess.  He's everything that's right but oh so wrong.  His motto is 'Healthy food isn't all it's cracked up to be!"

You didn't have room for dessert?  Fellow roadfooder JoeRugo had the Mt. Fuji ($45) and then two pieces of Harold's famous cheesecake with a nice cup of decaf with half and half and Sweet n Low; he was watching himself. 

Someone ordered a bacon cheeseburger?  A shonda! 

post edited by Baah Ben - 2009/05/27 15:49:55
    ellen4641
    Filet Mignon
    Re:Trip to Philly, with a stop in Edison, NJ. 2009/05/27 16:08:55 (permalink)
    Baah Ben

You didn't have room for dessert?

No APPLE STRUDEL or CHOCOLATE ECLAIR for you guys ?!?

I've been going with Plan B when I'm at Harold's.... that Plan has me taking the dessert TO GO, and spending the rest of the week having a little bit at a time!  (spreads out the calories, lol )

MiamiDon
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4306
    Re:Trip to Philly, with a stop in Edison, NJ. 2009/05/27 16:27:55 (permalink)
    What, no Mount Sinai at Harold's?

Great trip report.  It was about time we had another Harold's report!
    Baah Ben
    Filet Mignon
    Re:Trip to Philly, with a stop in Edison, NJ. 2009/05/27 16:52:40 (permalink)
    MD - It's all about Harold's. 

That eclair looks like a size 10 shoe!  Is that made with low fat milk?  Just wondering?
    John A
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4295
    Re:Trip to Philly, with a stop in Edison, NJ. 2009/05/27 17:12:32 (permalink)
    I hope your friend Nikki appreciates what y'all had to go through to get to her birthday party.
    Foodosaurus
    Double Cheeseburger
    Re:Trip to Philly, with a stop in Edison, NJ. 2009/05/27 17:46:22 (permalink)
    John A, she sure did.  She ended up having left over Kinish, half of the bacon cheese burger, not too mention 4 extra slices of bacon that Ray took off of it.

Then on Saturday she had about half of the Roast Pork Hoagie that we couldn't finish.
    joerogo
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4567
    Re:Trip to Philly, with a stop in Edison, NJ. 2009/05/27 17:46:40 (permalink)
    Foodosaurus aka braunsteinm, Nice report, great restaurant and food choices.

Baah Ben , I think we could have polished off one of those milkshakes each on our visit

The Travelin Man
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3766
    Re:Trip to Philly, with a stop in Edison, NJ. 2009/05/27 20:28:55 (permalink)
    Foodosaurus aka braunsteinm

She ended up having left over Kinish, half of the bacon cheese burger, not too mention 4 extra slices of bacon that Ray took off of it.

Then on Saturday she had about half of the Roast Pork Hoagie that we couldn't finish.

Sounds like my kind of girl.  Did you say if she was single??? 
    Nancypalooza
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3778
    Re:Trip to Philly, with a stop in Edison, NJ. 2009/05/28 13:57:21 (permalink)
    Jiminy, I feel like I couldn't go there (to Harold's) unless I were accompanied by, say, Shrek.  It's meshugennah the size of that food!

joerogo
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4567
    Re:Trip to Philly, with a stop in Edison, NJ. 2009/05/28 19:57:34 (permalink)
    Nancypalooza

Jiminy, I feel like I couldn't go there (to Harold's) unless I were accompanied by, say, Shrek.  

Hey, I resemble that comment

Baah Ben
    Filet Mignon
    Re:Trip to Philly, with a stop in Edison, NJ. 2009/05/28 20:39:55 (permalink)
    Nancy - Yes, I know what you mean.  You really have to go to Harold's with a really big eater....I was very lucky....the person I went with was once on the competitive food eating tour!

mar52
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 8395
    Re:Trip to Philly, with a stop in Edison, NJ. 2009/05/28 22:38:09 (permalink)
    I'm a big eater.  I'd go!

I want the eclair.

I'd be happy to share the Mt Sinai.

I forgot to mention the pickle bar.  That's amazing!  I could make a meal of the half sours.  My family has always called them "new" pickles.  Is the pickle bar complementary?

I'd say good things about it.

Mike, if I knew those taquitos wouldn't kill you by the time they got to you I really would send you some.  I appreciate the way you like them.
    Foodosaurus
    Double Cheeseburger
    Re:Trip to Philly, with a stop in Edison, NJ. 2009/05/28 22:48:45 (permalink)

Mar - The pickle bar is complementary!

I've never actually shipped them.  But that is the way, we bring them back each summer; as a second piece of luggage.
    Dog Boss
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 206
    Re:Trip to Philly, with a stop in Edison, NJ. 2009/06/19 22:09:31 (permalink)
    harolds, is a stone throw my couch, have many and plenty experence trips to this deli resturant.

somethings missed buy the guy's from CT. 
    cornbeef is right there with the pastrami, turkey and roast beef hang well also.
    chicken soup is a good replacement from true home made. rice pudding not bad, with or with the rasberry jam,either way, i'm content.
    pickle bar/ bread station are part of your order(freebe's).
    bread is delivered durning there busiest up to 8 times aday, i've been told. i've seen the bread guy at one time 4 times thru the day.( the bread is very good).

yes, all pancakes, potatoe or breakfast are like large pizza's. milke shakes are the bomb !!!!!(pace yourself).

all dessert's are  dagwood size............  done breakfast just on two occasions, it's ok, honestly it needs help. stay with lunch.
    chicken parm, hamburgers, hot dogs and some other items are not part of the fun. anybody that visit's Harolds should really stay within the (jewish deli theme). he had opened another location in EAST BRUNSWICK,NJ (NOT FAR FROM RUTGERS) in the past year, but had closed within  less than a year. i think there was ownership change at the hotel that may have had something to do with that closing.  there are menu items that rock, then there are some to be left behind.
    Dog Boss
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 206
    Re:Trip to Philly, with a stop in Edison, NJ. 2009/06/19 22:11:51 (permalink)
    Mar - The pickle bar is complementary!

your good for the pickle bar.
    post edited by Dog Boss - 2009/06/19 22:12:58
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1