Trip to Portland, Oregon & the Oregon Coast

Page: 123 > Showing page 1 of 3
Author
pnwchef
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 2535
2012/08/17 18:38:33 (permalink)

Trip to Portland, Oregon & the Oregon Coast

Our family trip to the Oregon coast started early, we dragged Mollie out of bed so we could make it to Portland around 11 AM. It's going to be hot at home 103 degrees, with Portland getting up to 93 degrees, I am ready for the cool ocean breezes. The trip is about 200 miles from where I am in Washington State. The ride down the Columbia Gorge is beautiful, breath taking in some areas. This is the most picturesque streach of highway I have every traveled. After driving out of Washington state, to Oregon, and down the Columbia river, you will see desert like views with rolling hills.   looking across the river is the Maryhill Museum. The road winds next to the river Then as you climb a hill and travel up closer to the Dalles, Mount Hood hits you right in the face with all its beauty After you leave the Dalles, you head to Hood river, this area of the river is great for wind surfing, the town was taken over by these surfers, land and house value sky rocketed. This is a picture from the Columbia Gorge Hotel, These Blueberries were picked in a area in the hills up from Hood River. Mollie has been known to eat a container as we travel along   The views make the drive pleasant, Mollie is still rocking out to something on her ipod, I have the ipad ready for her when she gets bored. The view gets greener as we travel into this area, the area gets a lot of rain, being closer to Mt Hood. The trees are a nice site showing me I'm getting closer to my lunch destination. We drive knowing we are getting close to Portland, I'm waiting for Multnomath Falls to show it's face, this is always a great view to end our journey down the Columbia River Gorge,  We are now traveling into more traffic, heading to our lunch stop. I'll be back later to post picturs of lunch when I return............These are almost all internet stock pictures, if you have never traveled along the Columbia river gorge, put it on your schedule and make the trip some time in your life......See ya soon............
post edited by pnwchef - 2012/08/18 08:21:56

68 Replies Related Threads

lleechef
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 7392
    Re:Trip to Portland, Oregon & the Oregon Coast 2012/08/17 19:02:52 (permalink)
    Your photos are magnificent.  Mollie should leave the ipod and ipad at home and rock out to the scenery which is breathless!! 
    mar52
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 8401
    Re:Trip to Portland, Oregon & the Oregon Coast 2012/08/17 19:48:59 (permalink)
    Some beautiful land up that way.  Eat some marionberries for me, please and enjoy it to its fullest!
    pnwchef
    Filet Mignon
    Re:Trip to Portland, Oregon & the Oregon Coast 2012/08/17 22:16:02 (permalink)
    I set the GPS for
    A bit of a wait, as you can see it's a popular place.

The menu

This really isn't my wifes kind of place, but, to my surprise, she loved the place and the food. She ordered a
    Chicken Club ‐ 8
    Fried chicken, bacon, iceberg and tomato topped with blue cheese or ranch. on a fresh made biscuit. She really like this sandwich, she ordered it with Blue Cheese dressing. The dressing had big chunks of Blue cheese, that acted as nice cooling effect for the Crispy, spicy, juicy, fried Chicken breast.

Mollie had the warm flakey biscuit with a side of house made Marionberry jam, she loved it, no crumbs left over. I also got her a side piece of Chicken.

I ordered the,
    The Reggie ‐ 7
    Fried chicken, bacon & cheese topped with gravy
    Reggie Deluxe ‐ 8
    The Reggie with an egg
    This is my new favorite breakfast, Brunch, lunch, 2AM drunk, Sandwich, The chicken breast is one of the best I have ever had. It is cooked to perfection,crispy, peppery,salty,spicy,juicy, and tender. The country gravy was great, the bacon was good, melted cheddar cheese, topped with a fried egg. This is one serious sandwich, and we were both real happy with our choice.

Had to wash this meal down with a cold

Mollie and Joyce stuck with the

This is a true roadfood kind of place, I would try the Hash Browns on the next trip, they also looked great. My hat goes off to the cooks and crew of Pine State Biscuits, they did a great job..........

Back in the car all fat and sassy, Mollie is happy and we head a few miles down the road to

I told Mollie we are picking up dessert for tonight.
    This is a Derby Bar ( Graham cracker crust with chocolate and caramel, how the heck can that be bad) Raspberry cupcake, Coconut cupcake and Chocolate vanilla. The cupcakes were good, not as good as some others I have had, but alright. I would try others in town before I went back here.

Back in the car heading for

I'll be back soon, looking forward to some cool weather in Tillamook, Oregon, while we tour the Tillamook cheese factory...............See ya in a bit

post edited by pnwchef - 2012/08/18 08:28:47
    mar52
    Sirloin
    Re:Trip to Portland, Oregon & the Oregon Coast 2012/08/17 23:07:23 (permalink)
    When in Bandon get yourself or the girls some cranberry candies.  Yum Yum Good!

If you have sauteed razor clams anywhere, please do not tell me.

It's been many years since I went up the Oregon Coast.  Used to own a lot in Cannon Beach and spent a lot of time in Yachats (My favorite city) and Newport.

I miss it and I hope you love it as much as I did.
    chefbuba
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 2052
    Re:Trip to Portland, Oregon & the Oregon Coast 2012/08/17 23:38:34 (permalink)
    Mar, If I dig enough razors this winter, I'll send you some. The beach is two blocks from my house.

mar52
    Sirloin
    Re:Trip to Portland, Oregon & the Oregon Coast 2012/08/18 00:07:24 (permalink)
    I'm salivating as I'm typing.

I read how to clean them and it totally turned me off to ever digging them myself. 

How do you make yours?

Jealous!
    chefbuba
    Re:Trip to Portland, Oregon & the Oregon Coast 2012/08/18 00:24:01 (permalink)
    They are a bit hard to clean. My neighbor has cleaned 1000's of lbs of these things over the years, she uses scissors, not a knife and is very fast at it.....I just may see if I can talk (bribe) her into cleaning mine this year.
    I have only sauteed them in butter after dredging through flour & egg wash....pretty sweet tasting.
    I made some chowder a couple of years ago also.
    mar52
    Sirloin
    Re:Trip to Portland, Oregon & the Oregon Coast 2012/08/18 01:13:14 (permalink)
    Sauteed is how I had them.  One of my favorite meals.  Had them either in Yachats or Waldport.

Bill, if you see them on a menu... ORDER THEM!

I forgot to comment on the biscuits.  My kind of place.
    mr chips
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4727
    Re:Trip to Portland, Oregon & the Oregon Coast 2012/08/18 01:17:20 (permalink)
    Great first part. I love the gorge and really like the maryhill museum. Pine state biscuits is a great place. And you can get Cheerwine there.
    Foodbme
    Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 10408
    Re:Trip to Portland, Oregon & the Oregon Coast 2012/08/18 04:34:24 (permalink)
    Mar,
    Anytime I see something on RF that captures my curiosity I research it.
    You mentioned Yachats so off I went.
    Looks like a beautiful, relaxing place.
    Found this place particularly interesting:
    http://hecetalighthouse.com/
    Would love to stay there.
    leethebard
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6361
    Re:Trip to Portland, Oregon & the Oregon Coast 2012/08/18 07:00:23 (permalink)
    Beautiful scenery...beautiful food....oh that chicken club!!!
    pnwchef
    Filet Mignon
    Re:Trip to Portland, Oregon & the Oregon Coast 2012/08/18 09:14:28 (permalink)
    mar52: Mar to many Clams not enough time.....and yes, you would have loved Pine State Biscuits. Mar, ChefBuba and I were talking about a Roadfood meet next April for the Portland’s Spring Food Cart Festival. It may be a good time to jump in the car and head north ???????? Portland is a great Roadfood town, lots of hidden gems around the city. This is one town that a GPS is Mandatory.

leethebard: Lee, she loved the Blue cheese, you can see the chunks in the dressing. The chicken breast was to die for.

mr chips:  it was a toss up Cheerywine or NuGrape, you see who won, I love grape soda. I know you have made the trip up and down the Columbia River Gorge many times, I hope you enjoy the trip as much as I do. We have also hiked the trail up over Multnomath falls, it is a wonderful hike with great views.

lleechef: Mollie has made this trip down the Columbia River Gorge Many times, When she's happy, Papa is happy. We talk about the History of this area along the way. The Indians have their nets up along the river, and you can buy fresh Salmon at different points. lleechef, you just may have to make a trip out this way to teach that old man of yours a thing or two about fishing.
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 18949
    Re:Trip to Portland, Oregon & the Oregon Coast 2012/08/18 09:55:31 (permalink)
    First of all, this old man has fished salmon in Oregon (out of Astoria) and Washington, and steelhead in Washington. And, when steelhead fishing this old man used an 11 foot noodle rod and two-pound test line to take very nice fish.

Second, I've made that drive along the Columbia, but going the other way heading for Spokane, and passing through your tri-cities area. It is a glorious drive.

Third, your report is awesome! Keep it coming.
    pnwchef
    Filet Mignon
    Re:Trip to Portland, Oregon & the Oregon Coast 2012/08/18 12:14:16 (permalink)
    Portland is a wonderful city, filled with very unique people. The views are wonderful, on a clear day you can see Mount Saint Helens located about 50 miles from the city. When Mt St Helens erupted 30 yrs ago, the views from Portland were amazing.

Mount Hood is also 50 miles from Portland, on a clear day you feel you can reach out and touch it.

We left Portland and headed down Hwy 26 toward Tillamook, Oregon. I thought Mollie would like taking the tour of the cheese making process. We left Portland around 1 PM with the temp in the low 90's, we arrived in Tillamook about 1 1/2 hrs later, the temp was 66 degree. Joyce and Mollie got in the car in Portland feeling warm, to getting out in Tillamook soon after almost needing a jacket. These are some pictures of the Cheese making process, they had tinted windows, so the pictures came out yellow, like the cheese wasn't yellow enough to begin with.

The large block of cheese goes into the cutter.

And there she goes, cutting the cheese, who knew!!!!!!

Cheese ready to be packaged

this is Mollie, having a terrible time on the tour, I bet you thought the seal stayed home. This seal has traveled around the United states, Canada and Hawaii with Mollie, never has complained about a darn thing. One time Mollie left Sealy at the Mirage Hotel in Los Vegas, Sealy flew back first class postage, that only cost me $35, the things a Papa has to do.

Ok, that's enough Cheese for now, lets get some Tillamook ice cream, I had to twist Mollies arm and drag her over to get a cone. She shared a scoop of Chocolate chip ice cream with Joyce.

Mine was a scoop of Mountain Wild Blackberry,  now that sounds like a Oregon Ice Cream, if I have ever heard one. Tillamook Ice cream is real smooth and creamy, this is just one ice cream cone ,of a few we will have over the week.

You would have thought we would taste the cheese before we had the ice cream cone, who said you had to eat your meal before dessert. The samples were, Cheese curds, Mild and sharp Cheddar, Pepper Cheese, Pepper Jack Cheese,and Jack Cheese. The sample area was done very well, neat, clean with fresh tasting samples. The Tillamook Cheese factory was packed with people, every inch of the tour, dining area, cheese tasting, and gift shop was spotless. Thanks to Tillamook Cheese factory for a great tour and cheese tasting. The samples were great, and the ice cream was wonderful.

This is just one of 10 reasons why Mollie will never get her drivers License when she's 16 years old.

After the Cheese Factory, we traveled over to Seaside, Oregon to our Hotel. We are all tired of being in the car, Mollie is ready for a dip in the pool. When we arrive in Seaside, the temp is 59 degrees, at home it was 103, I love it, time to sit back in the hot tub.........Day 1 comes to an end with Mollie and I downing some of the cupcakes and a big glass of milk............................See ya tomorrow for more pictures of the Oregon Coast and the wonderful seafood the Pacific coast has to offer.......

post edited by pnwchef - 2012/08/18 12:25:28
    ann peeples
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 8699
    Re:Trip to Portland, Oregon & the Oregon Coast 2012/08/18 12:49:16 (permalink)
    Amazing, amazing, amazing......and then there are pics of food......
    leethebard
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6361
    Re:Trip to Portland, Oregon & the Oregon Coast 2012/08/18 12:57:03 (permalink)
    Wow...leave me off at that cheese tasting room....heaven!!!
    mr chips
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4727
    Re:Trip to Portland, Oregon & the Oregon Coast 2012/08/18 13:32:19 (permalink)
    The Tillamook Cheese factory is a wonderful tour. And the restaurant  has wonderful ice cream and grilled cheese sandwiches. Your pictures are great. If you do have a road food meet in portland, Trudy and i would love to come.
    mar52
    Sirloin
    Re:Trip to Portland, Oregon & the Oregon Coast 2012/08/18 13:48:29 (permalink)
    Loaf that picture of Mollie!

A PNW Roadfood meet up would be fun.  Don't know how the year will play out and $4++ a gallon for gas is a factor.  However, it peeked my interest!

Yachats also has an annual smelt festival and terrific coffee. 

When and if you drive through Lincoln City see if you notice an unusual number of attorney offices.  It may have changed since I was there.

Are the blimp hangers still around?  Would Mollie like seeing The Spruce Goose in McMinnville?

I love Oregon! 
    pnwchef
    Filet Mignon
    Re:Trip to Portland, Oregon & the Oregon Coast 2012/08/18 19:22:45 (permalink)

mr chips: I have a feeling you and I will be setting up the Roadfood restaurants in Portland. April would be a great month to have the PNW meet. Lets show these people how to throw a party.....
    mar52. I always try to have a hand full of smelt with my morning coffee. Mar, I think by April you may be ready for a trip North, for some PNW Grub.
    Michael Hoffman it looks like you won round one, back to your corner Tiger
    ann peeples Thanks Ann

Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 18949
    Re:Trip to Portland, Oregon & the Oregon Coast 2012/08/18 19:40:31 (permalink)
    When it comes to us, friend, there's no winning. There's just getting along -- the way it ought to be. 
    tcrouzer
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 431
    Re:Trip to Portland, Oregon & the Oregon Coast 2012/08/18 21:25:49 (permalink)
    Fantastic report! Those photos of Mount Hood just really got to me. If I were there, I'd spend 3/4 of my time just fixated on that mountain - the other 1/4 time would be spent eating!

Glad to know that the good ole' NC boys at Pine State Biscuit are introducing folks to Cheerwine.  And it's nice to see lovely Mollie and Sealy again.
    1bbqboy
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4654
    Re:Trip to Portland, Oregon & the Oregon Coast 2012/08/18 23:27:00 (permalink)
    tcrouzer

Fantastic report! Those photos of Mount Hood just really got to me. If I were there, I'd spend 3/4 of my time just fixated on that mountain - the other 1/4 time would be spent eating!

Glad to know that the good ole' NC boys at Pine State Biscuit are introducing folks to Cheerwine.  And it's nice to see lovely Mollie and Sealy again.

TC, We've got the Coast Range on one side and the Cascades with  the Snow Capped Volcanoes 
    the length of the state. It defines the essence of Oregon. It's wonderful.:D
    1bbqboy
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4654
    Re:Trip to Portland, Oregon & the Oregon Coast 2012/08/18 23:36:01 (permalink)
    Foodbme

Mar,
    Anytime I see something on RF that captures my curiosity I research it.
    You mentioned Yachats so off I went.
    Looks like a beautiful, relaxing place.
    Found this place particularly interesting:
    http://hecetalighthouse.com/
    Would love to stay there.

FBM, We spent my honeymoon in Yachats long ago. I've been back more than dozen times.
    The best place in Oregon. The lighthouse is cool.  Heceta Head is spectacular, as is the drive From Yachats to Florence.
    Watching the tide come in and go out in the river is spectacular. Mar, we used to stay at  Rock Park,, right across from the state park. Funky cabins that would let us bring our golden retrievers, Mother, and small kids.:)
     Rock Park Cottages,Yachats Oregon,Yachats Oregon lodging,Yachats cottages,Oregon coast lodging

post edited by 1bbqboy - 2012/08/19 00:36:55
    mar52
    Sirloin
    Re:Trip to Portland, Oregon & the Oregon Coast 2012/08/18 23:45:57 (permalink)
    Totally agree.
    Foodbme
    Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 10408
    Re:Trip to Portland, Oregon & the Oregon Coast 2012/08/19 03:53:51 (permalink)
    Mar,
    I thought the Spruce Goose was in Long Beach????
    chefbuba
    Re:Trip to Portland, Oregon & the Oregon Coast 2012/08/19 10:56:35 (permalink)
    It moved years ago......
    pnwchef
    Filet Mignon
    Re:Trip to Portland, Oregon & the Oregon Coast 2012/08/19 11:00:46 (permalink)
    tcrouzer: The NC boys are doing real good, you see the line up in front of the restaurant. The Chicken they use for the biscuit sands are brined over night, then breaded. the brine keeps the moisture in the breast after frying. They did their homework on making everything they do, it's nice seeing someone take the time and do it right. They make their biscuit mix like its a puff pastry dough buy putting in frozen pieces of butter. I wanted to try the Fried green tomatoes, but, as you see we had our hands full with what we ordered...............Thanks, from Mollie, Sealy and Me
    post edited by pnwchef - 2012/08/19 11:46:30
    pnwchef
    Filet Mignon
    Re:Trip to Portland, Oregon & the Oregon Coast 2012/08/19 11:11:58 (permalink)
    chefbuba

It moved years ago......

Like Chefbuba just said in his 4 words, what he wanted to say was. Disney used to own the Spruce Goose in long beach, California, they disassembled it and moved it up the Pacific Ocean. They cleaned it up and moved it over to McMinnville, Oregon. I think Disney should have kept it, it would have made one Hell of a ride.............pnwc
    chefbuba
    Re:Trip to Portland, Oregon & the Oregon Coast 2012/08/19 11:23:47 (permalink)
    Lighten up....I'm only on my 2nd cup of coffee.
    Page: 123 > Showing page 1 of 3
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1