Trip to R.U.B. BBQ in NYC (with pics!)

Author
billyboy
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 2445
2008/02/23 03:02:27 (permalink)

Trip to R.U.B. BBQ in NYC (with pics!)

After my brush with Oscar greatness earlier this evening, I decided to hit one of my favorite BBQ spots in NYC, R.U.B. BBQ (Righteous Urban Barbeque), on the corner of 23rd Street and 7th Avenue in Chelsea. It's associated with Paul Kirk of Kansas City and I don't know how much oversight and/or day-to-day involvement he has in it, but I've always enjoyed the food there. There is lots more info about the place on the website at www.rubbbq.net. Hope you enjoy the pics:

Outside of the restaurant.

I don't do well in low lighting, but here are two shots of their smoker. Notice the smoked duck on the menu board. I hear it's popular, but haven't tried it yet.

Another menu board on the opposite wall with Paul holding a very worried looking cow. Nice description of the different cuts of ribs.

The meats come unsauced (as I feel it should always be) and they have from left to right" vinegar based, original, nice and spicy and ketchup. I'm not a fan of the vinegar, but the tomato based original and nice and spicy are both great. Sweet, but not too much, a little peppery, bur the spicy could use a bit more kick to it.

Potato Salad and Barbequed Baked Beans (individual sizes, $3.50 each). The potato salad is, I believe, mayo and mustard based. I detected some celery and pickles in there and a slight sweetness possibly from pickle juice. Very good and complements the meet perfectly. The beans are possibly the best barbequed beans I have had anywhere. Incredibly thick, rich and smoky. They are laced throughout with burnt ends and addictive! These are definitely meant to be savored slowly.

Barbequed Ham ($15.75 per pound) These next three shots represent the way I usually order at R.U.B. BBQ. I get meats in 1/4 orders to maximize and focus on the 'cue, not the bread of say, a sandwich. The ham is good, not overly salty, good smoke flavor, although it can tend to be a nit dry sometimes and was a little bit so tonight. Still good though and played very nicely against the sauces.

BBQ Beef Brisket ($16.75 per pound) The brisket has a nice smoke ring, good smoke flavor, but it also was a bit on the dry side tonight. Truthfully, they don't do these first two "moist" a la Hill Country, so some folks might find them too dry for their tastes, but I like mine lean and it's usually right on the money for my liking.

Burnt Ends ($16.75 per pound) Words cannot do these justice!! I could've sworn I heard a cardiologist cackle with glee as I savored these tributes to KC. A wicked crust with an incredible depth a flavor. smoke that just punches you in the mouth and oh so tender! Like the sexiest pot roast you've ever had! I closed my eyes in BBQ rhapsody with each bite. Top notch and I'd put them up against burnt ends anywhere!

My meal. No plates here. Meals come out on a round tray and the meats are in separate cardboard boats. They give you silverware napkins and wet naps. Pickles and bread come with the meals too, although sometimes they forget the bread.

My Stewart's root beer

People say good BBQ can't be had in NYC, but I think they are wrong. Let's be honest: no one will be able to re-create a Roadfood experience (meal AND atmosphere AND personality, etc...) outside of its home region and no ONE place will do everything well EVERY time (regional RF or otherwise), but I think this place is cranking out some great stuff that the BBQ Belt would be proud of.

10 Replies Related Threads

John A
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4295
    RE: Trip to R.U.B. BBQ in NYC (with pics!) 2008/02/23 07:18:44 (permalink)
    It all looks good to me Billy, nice job. Now, please get your butt (No pun intended) over to http://www.southernhospitalitybbq.com/index.asp and give us another of your great reports - TIA.
    1bbqboy
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4636
    RE: Trip to R.U.B. BBQ in NYC (with pics!) 2008/02/23 11:26:06 (permalink)
    Thanks, BB. Nice. And the Burnt ends look like they used to in KC.
    Cosmos
    • Total Posts : 1449
    RE: Trip to R.U.B. BBQ in NYC (with pics!) 2008/02/23 17:45:02 (permalink)
    Looks good! Was that a take out order or do they not have dishes there?
    billyboy
    • Total Posts : 2445
    RE: Trip to R.U.B. BBQ in NYC (with pics!) 2008/02/23 20:52:21 (permalink)
    I ate in and they don't do plates there. It's all served in cardboard boats lined with white paper (not sure if it's butcher or not) and it all comes to the table on a round tray similar to a beer tray a waitperson might use. I did take out half of it to eat later at home. My eyes were bigger than my stomach. I am happy, though, to report that as of today, none of it went to waste!
    Baah Ben
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3026
    RE: Trip to R.U.B. BBQ in NYC (with pics!) 2008/02/26 14:38:11 (permalink)
    Looks pretty good to me for NYC..Never thought it would happen. NIce to see. The brisket could be jucier, but the ham looks wonderful and those burnt ends as good as any I've seen. Thanks for the pictures!
    acornlover
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 394
    RE: Trip to R.U.B. BBQ in NYC (with pics!) 2008/02/26 14:41:01 (permalink)
    My oh My!!!!
    leethebard
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6321
    RE: Trip to R.U.B. BBQ in NYC (with pics!) 2008/08/31 21:32:20 (permalink)
    Great...Ok..so now...what is left you CAN'T get in NYC!!!
    TJ Jackson
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4596
    RE: Trip to R.U.B. BBQ in NYC (with pics!) 2008/08/31 23:36:18 (permalink)
    goetta
    CCinNJ
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 7778
    RE: Trip to R.U.B. BBQ in NYC (with pics!) 2008/09/03 11:38:58 (permalink)
    Oh, we done gots your goetta!!

http://www.aliasrestaurant.com/brunch/

ALIAS EGGS BENEDICT
    House made goetta, slice of ham steak,
    two poached eggs, apple mustard holandaise $10
    TJ Jackson
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4596
    RE: Trip to R.U.B. BBQ in NYC (with pics!) 2008/09/03 12:26:56 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by billyboy

my brush with Oscar greatness earlier this evening

err.....what brush with greatness?
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1