Trip to VA Beach

Author
mbrookes
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1355
2007/08/22 22:53:45 (permalink)

Trip to VA Beach

Some of y'all were so helpful when I asked for suggestions that I wanted to tell you how the trip went.

We left home (Jackson, MS) in time to reach Dreamland in Tuscaloosa for lunch. I've eaten the ribs there many times, but these surpassed anything I remember or expected. Totally the BEST!

We drove until we couldn't and landed in Greenville, SC. There we ate at Macaroni Grill (right on the highway and easy) Actually, the food ... both had veal dishes... was very good and the service was excellent.

Saturday lunch was the famous Lexington Barbeque. I have to say, I was disappointed. After the build-up, I expected more than OK pulled pork, but that's what it was. Next time, we'll go on to College Barbeque in Salisbury, NC. Much better.

Saturday we rolled into VA Beach. We've been staying at the same condo for 20+ years. Breakfast and lunch are at the condo, so I will just report on dinner. We did, however, make some fine sandwiches at lunch.

Saturday night, we ate at Nick's on Laskin Road. This is a mostly locals place with super food and service. The waitresses are real servers, not college students. I had a shrimp/crab combo in lemon butter. OMG. Sam had fried soft shelled crab, which he pronounced the best he had ever had.

Sunday night was all you can eat fried flounder at the Beach Pub on Laskin Road. Super food, but the service was not up to the standard they have always had. I was told that the younger generation is now in charge. That may explain something.

Monday back to Nick's. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Tuesday we hit Charlie's on Shore Drive. They have absolutely the best she-crab soup. Usually she crab is so rich I can't eat anything else. Their version has all the taste and richness without the "heavy" feel. Just great. Sam had broiled oysters that made him very happy.

Wednesday it was back to Beach Pub for the prime rib special. Cooked to perfection, enough for a giant, with light sides... I chose pickled beets and apple sauce. The more traditional baked potato and salad are available, also. Sam had soft shell crab, as good as Nick's.

Thursday was our 20th anniversary, so we went up-scale. Isle of Capri is an Italian restaurant 6 stories up, right on the beach. I had veal with artichoke hearts and Sam had veal with asparagus. Both dishes were done to perfection. The service was really great, and I can't think of one negative thing to say about the whole experience.

Friday was a real treat. We went to Steinhilbers (sp?) which was established in 1939. It is in a residential neighborhood, so you need good directions or (as we had) a GPS. They are famous for their fried shrimp, and rightly so. The breading is as light as a cloud. The dipping sauce is akin to comeback (some of you know that term). The service was right on. Our server toured us around as we left, giving the history of the restaurant.

On the way home (boo hoo) Saturday, we drove as far as we could and stopped somewhere in Alabama. Next to our hotel was a Lone Star Steak House. (I know, I cringed when I saw it) Tired as we were, we went in to be told there was an hour wait. (Evidently, there's not much to do in that town) We asked to go to the bar, where we were seated immediately and fed a most respectable prime rib. Remind me not to be so snobby in the future.

Stopped at Dreamland and picked up ribs to bring home for supper.

Altogether a great trip. And I didn't even tell you about the body surfing!!

2 Replies Related Threads

Greymo
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3738
    RE: Trip to VA Beach 2007/08/22 23:14:15 (permalink)
    Enjoyed your report. It sounds like you had some great meals and a wonderful time.
    RibRater
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1862
    RE: Trip to VA Beach 2007/08/23 05:36:00 (permalink)
    both isle of capri and steiny's shrimp in the same week....that's good eating!

Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1