Tripe Sandwich

Author
stryyk
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 18
2004/08/17 23:37:20 (permalink)

Tripe Sandwich

I was wondering if anyone has a favorite place to enjoy a nice tripe sandwich. My favorite comes from George's on 9th. Street in South Philly. It comes on a long Italian roll with sauce, and a fried Italian long hot on the top. Pure heaven!!

18 Replies Related Threads

ScreenBear
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1505
    RE: Tripe Sandwich 2005/12/13 21:35:19 (permalink)
    Philadelphians,
    Does this place and sandwich still exist?

If so, how is the tripe cooked? Is it breaded? And,while you're at it, what's a fried Italian long hot? Thanks,
    The Bear
    UncleVic
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6025
    RE: Tripe Sandwich 2005/12/13 23:40:08 (permalink)
    I had to look up what Tripe was... Stomach lining ehhh??? Curious what it tastes like... Considering I like Head Cheese, shouldnt be too much different?

tacchino
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 560
    RE: Tripe Sandwich 2005/12/14 01:10:16 (permalink)
    Tripe can taste wonderful; soft and buttery with a faint hint of meat if it has been stewed long in either a tomato based sauce or in a sauce without tomatoes (the French stew it in Calvados, an apple brandy, and call it "a la mode de Caen").

Unfortunately, if the tripe is not fresh, it can reek of a nasty ammonia-like smell which cooking does not dissipate. Also, like squid, it can take on an unpleasant rubbery consistency if it is not cooked properly.

UncleVic
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6025
    RE: Tripe Sandwich 2005/12/14 05:12:55 (permalink)
    Think I'll stick with some decent head cheese... Thanks for that informative report tacchino!
    Scallion1
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 418
    RE: Tripe Sandwich 2005/12/14 09:50:41 (permalink)
    I'm totally pro-tripe (the meat, not some of the postings on these boards! Just kidding, just kidding).

Tripe is the stomach of, usually, a cow. The most common, and best, variety is "honeycomb" tripe, from the cow's second stomach. As Tacchino says, tripe "a la mode de Caen" can be exquisite. I've also had wonderful tripe dishes in both Italian and Chinese restaurants. It's more a texture than a flavor thing, and, granted, you have to like organ meats.

But before anyone starts with the "yechhh" out there, let them make sure that they don't eat sausage or chitterlings or liver.

I'm hoping that a "fried Italian long hot" is a chile.

ScreenBear
    RE: Tripe Sandwich 2005/12/14 10:00:58 (permalink)
    Scallion,
    My Mom made it Polish style, in a white garlic sauce. Tania's Polish restaurant, Grove Street, Jersey City, NJ, a very good Polish restaurant, serves it as a soup... sort of garlicky. What I'm wondering, is it served anywhere in these United States breaded and fried?
    The Bear
    Scorereader
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5566
    RE: Tripe Sandwich 2005/12/14 10:34:12 (permalink)
    isn't this the same stuff they used to make people eat on Fear Factor?

I know Scallion, that this may not be too far a cry from hot dogs and half smokes, but somehow, the split hairs between tripe and hot dogs seem like awefully thick strands.

I'll note that I have no intention of eating Rocky Mountain oysters either. Whether they taste great or not. Does this make me blind , stubborn and naive...? perhaps, but then, I eat other things that other people find revolting...and it's not just my wife's cooking either...

Willly
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 396
    RE: Tripe Sandwich 2005/12/14 10:36:38 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by ScreenBear

Scallion,
    My Mom made it Polish style, in a white garlic sauce. Tania's Polish restaurant, Grove Street, Jersey City, NJ, a very good Polish restaurant, serves it as a soup... sort of garlicky. What I'm wondering, is it served anywhere in these United States breaded and fried?
    The Bear

In Vermont, at many diners, pickled tripe is served breaded and fried.
    ScreenBear
    RE: Tripe Sandwich 2005/12/14 20:01:10 (permalink)
    Willy,
    Any particular diner in Vermont you feel does it best?
    The Bear
    Ort. Carlton.
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3589
    RE: Tripe Sandwich 2005/12/14 21:49:47 (permalink)
    Dearfolk,
    Folks in one region of Mexico seem to prefer their tripitas breaded and fried. I can't tell you which area this is, but I tasted it in Florida once in a mom-and-pop cafe... I think the people were from Tamaulipas state. "Tacos de tripitas" on the menu was the dead giveaway.
    As soon as I am able to range out again (I know I keep saying this and not doing it, but there are a wad of reasons), I'll try every Mexican eatery in these parts and see if anyone serves menudo on the weekends. I'll also hunt tripitas on the menu.
    Face it, people - if I love livermush (which I do, seriously, unquestionably), then it's a mighty short sidestep to tripe in any form. Hmmm. Perhaps that's why I make so many silly posts - I'm full of mush and tripe!
    Looking Entrally, Ort. Carlton in Rainycold Athens, Georgia.
    tiki
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4140
    RE: Tripe Sandwich 2005/12/14 21:55:50 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Ort. Carlton.

Dearfolk,
    Folks in one region of Mexico seem to prefer their tripitas breaded and fried. I can't tell you which area this is, but I tasted it in Florida once in a mom-and-pop cafe... I think the people were from Tamaulipas state. "Tacos de tripitas" on the menu was the dead giveaway.
    As soon as I am able to range out again (I know I keep saying this and not doing it, but there are a wad of reasons), I'll try every Mexican eatery in these parts and see if anyone serves menudo on the weekends. I'll also hunt tripitas on the menu.
    Face it, people - if I love livermush (which I do, seriously, unquestionably), then it's a mighty short sidestep to tripe in any form. Hmmm. Perhaps that's why I make so many silly posts - I'm full of mush and tripe!

Well Ort--i guess this makes you just an offal guy!---want to join me for scrapple and head cheese!
    ScreenBear
    RE: Tripe Sandwich 2005/12/14 22:42:43 (permalink)
    Some would call it Cholesterol Row. But I'm told there's a section of Paris where the restaurants specialize in organ meats of all kinds. Unfortunately, my info was fleeting and sketchy. Any edification here?
    The Bear
    tacchino
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 560
    RE: Tripe Sandwich 2005/12/14 22:55:21 (permalink)
    The section of Paris I believe was Les Halles, but that has been cleaned up for a while...in general, while in France, look for restaurants that are close to or contain in their names the term "les abbatoires" (slaughterhouses, or stockyards, to translate roughly). Inevitably, the specialities will be all sorts of wonderfully prepared organ meats: tripe, kidneys, liver, sweetbreads, etc.

Believe it or not, all of this really is delicious!
    Scallion1
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 418
    RE: Tripe Sandwich 2005/12/15 00:18:26 (permalink)
    AHA! I knew there was something about tripe rattling around in what's left of my brain. Many of the Mexicans with whom I've had the privilege to work were fond of "menudo". Not the kid-rock group. This is a soup or a stew, which contains tripe, a pig's (or calf's) foot, hominy, and green chiles. It can approach the incendiary levels.

Believe it or not, it's a much prized antidote for a hangover.

Especially effective if you wash down a big bowl with three or four ice-cold Coronas.

My mouth is watering just thinking about it.
    txtwister
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 259
    RE: Tripe Sandwich 2005/12/15 14:41:43 (permalink)
    Yes, menudo is incredibly popular, and popular as a hangover cure.

My daughter's best friend's mom, Ramona, makes menudo frequently, and my daughter loves it. She asked Ramona what was in it, and Ramona just replied "Oh, pork and beef and spices." Half the great food I've had the first time has been explained away in a similar fashion. ;-)

If you don't have a friend-of-a-friend that makes it - go to almost any Mexican heritage festival (or in my experience, softball tournament) in the summertime in TX, and you'll smell it simmering somewhere. Now, most of the folks I know wouldn't exactly turn down a Corona (again, remember, this is a softball-tournament-connection LOL), but offer a Bud Light in exchange for a bowl and you'll have friends for life. ;-)

ScreenBear
    RE: Tripe Sandwich 2005/12/17 18:34:32 (permalink)
    Folks,
    Is there any more on the breaded fried tripe sandwich, other than that they are available at diners in Vermont?
    The Bear
    Sundancer7
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 13549
    RE: Tripe Sandwich 2005/12/17 18:56:32 (permalink)
    For some reason that I do not understand, tripe does not sound appetizing to me.

Paul E Smith
    Knoxville, TN
    jvalles
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 1
    RE: Tripe Sandwich 2005/12/27 14:36:16 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Ort. Carlton.

Dearfolk,

The MUUCCHH betterer concoction for this stuff is the soup, (not tombe confused with the boy-band) Menudo. You can eat it right out the can cold--no it's not made by Progresso--but getting it fresh will be somewhat of a challenge--it is NOT on your everyday roadside Mexican restaurant menu--but try asking for it--the more cholestrolated employee the better--they probably have some simmering on the back burner....

Used to be a good version made in a hole-in-the-wall place next to an 8-track store in Bogart, GA off of Highway 29, but they are long gone....
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1