Trolinger's BBQ In Paris Tennessee

Author
Z66 Butch
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 199
2005/11/18 16:49:39 (permalink)

Trolinger's BBQ In Paris Tennessee

We were staying at Paris Landing State Park a couple of years ago and decided that we wanted some BBQ. We were with a large group and set out to find some good BBQ. The guy hosting the event knew of a place called Trolingers and we found it. Boy were we glad we did! It was some of the best BBQ that I have ever ate!

The place is a combo gas station, meat market and restaurant. You go to the back of the store and order your meal over a deli counter.
They make it up and pass it back to you. There are a few small booths inside to set at or you can take it outside to a picnic table. You pay at a cash register when you leave. A BBQ plate lunch is $2.99 and a Rib plate lunch is $4.59. It is a big nice lunch and the price is good, the food better! If you are ever down that way you will not be disappointed if you stop in!

They have a small website at:

http://tonga.globat.com/~trolingers.com/meals.html

Butch

20 Replies Related Threads

Sundancer7
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 13475
    RE: Trolinger's BBQ In Paris Tennessee 2005/11/18 16:58:41 (permalink)
    Butch, I do not get to Paris, TN very often but when I do, I will surely try your place. Thanks for the post.

Paris, TN is one beautiful place.

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN
    Poverty Pete
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 2293
    RE: Trolinger's BBQ In Paris Tennessee 2005/11/18 17:44:54 (permalink)
    I was in Paris last Monday. I wish I had known about this place. It looks like a place worthy of investigation. I'll try to get up there again in a couple of weeks or so.
    Z66 Butch
    Cheeseburger
    RE: Trolinger's BBQ In Paris Tennessee 2005/11/18 18:03:52 (permalink)
    Paris got hit hard by the tornado outbreak last Tuesday. I have it from a good source that Trolingers was spared but the town is torn up! Hope everyone down that way is OK. We had tornadoes all around us but none directly over us! Southern Indiana was not as lucky again.......

Butch
    mtstroud
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 11
    RE: Trolinger's BBQ In Paris Tennessee 2005/11/28 10:04:48 (permalink)
    From what I could see on their website, I believe this place has the best prices on BBQ that I have seen in a long time! It is especially noteworthy in comparison to the joints in my neck of the woods, North Alabama, where it isn't unheard of for pork plates to set you back $8.00 or more. Definitely a great value for folks in northwest Tennessee, I'm sure!
    Z66 Butch
    Cheeseburger
    RE: Trolinger's BBQ In Paris Tennessee 2005/11/28 10:14:49 (permalink)
    It is a very good value for very good BBQ! We went there in a large group unannounced and they served us very fast! We took our lunches outside and picnicked off of the tailgates of our trucks. They have a nice large parking lot. If we ever get back down that way I am sure that we will stop there for a meal again!

Butch
    SurrealGourmet
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 93
    RE: Trolinger's BBQ In Paris Tennessee 2005/11/29 17:45:21 (permalink)
    Trolinger's is awesome BBQ. I have relatives that live near Paris and I always make a stop for some Q. I love their simple sauce too. I have two containers of it sitting at home right now.
    Bobs
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 244
    RE: Trolinger's BBQ In Paris Tennessee 2005/11/29 19:33:12 (permalink)
    That is one place I have not been to. I will put it on my list and get there soon. Sounds good!
    pharmerphil
    Junior Burger
    RE: Trolinger's BBQ In Paris Tennessee 2006/10/18 13:41:35 (permalink)
    I live about 10 miles from Trolinger's and have been one of their customers for nearly 20 yrs. Their regular bar-b-que sandwich is a real bargain at $1.29. However, there is one caveat! Trolinger's BBQ is NOT true, slow cooked, pit BBQ. It is cooked in big electric ovens and not slow cooked over a wood fire/coals. Several friends of mine have worked there and I've even watched them preparing the meat in these ovens. A decent sandwich but not the real thing. Just thought I'd share this info. with you.
    Poverty Pete
    RE: Trolinger's BBQ In Paris Tennessee 2006/10/18 18:21:51 (permalink)
    There are lots of interesting things there, besides the sandwiches and plates. I have a ham hock from my last visit, which I'll be tossing into a crockpot of split peas this weekend. I carry a bottle of their sauce whenever I travel.
    SurrealGourmet
    Hamburger
    RE: Trolinger's BBQ In Paris Tennessee 2006/10/20 17:59:43 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Poverty Pete

I carry a bottle of their sauce whenever I travel.

Pete....have you ever come across a recipe that tastes similar to their sauce? I would love to make that at home.
    Poverty Pete
    RE: Trolinger's BBQ In Paris Tennessee 2006/10/20 18:56:29 (permalink)
    The only thing I can compare it to is Arthur Bryant's. Trolinger's uses more black pepper, and is a bit sweeter, but still has the vinegar acidity. I'm tasting the sauce as I write this, and the prevalent ingredient for me is black pepper, followed by sweetness, acidity, then heat. I highly recommend it.
    littlebites
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 32
    RE: Trolinger's BBQ In Paris Tennessee 2006/10/21 14:10:57 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by pharmerphil

I live about 10 miles from Trolinger's and have been one of their customers for nearly 20 yrs. Their regular bar-b-que sandwich is a real bargain at $1.29. However, there is one caveat! Trolinger's BBQ is NOT true, slow cooked, pit BBQ. It is cooked in big electric ovens and not slow cooked over a wood fire/coals. Several friends of mine have worked there and I've even watched them preparing the meat in these ovens. A decent sandwich but not the real thing. Just thought I'd share this info. with you.

$1.29 for a sandwich? How good can it be?
    Mr Meatfest
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 3
    RE: Trolinger's BBQ In Paris Tennessee 2006/11/02 11:39:24 (permalink)
    I have to "weigh-in" on this subject. Great to find this site adn discussion...I'm now a member.

Anyway, the above is correct about the electric ovens, etc. I went ot college several years ago not far from Paris and it is a second home-town for me. Trollinger's is a great place and I always stop. BUT, it's usually for stocking up on sauce and Allegro Marinade. Also, if you're going to Q at home, their meat counter is A++

Now the real reason, their BBQ is just not all what it used to be. The sandwich is good because it's big, toasted on the outside and mashed together in a press. You choose mayo or vinegar slaw on it. The sauce is in my arsenal but only to use as a heat kicker to other sauces. It's just vinegar and black and red pepper. Not much flavor and a lot of heat. If you want good Q then try it but if you're spoiled like we are in NW TN and WKY, then there's much better.

HERE'S MY TIP. THE BEST IN THE WORLD BBQ is about 30 minutes west of Paris in Martin, TN. Damron's BBQ and Meat. Their slogan is "You can't beat our meat". Cooked 24 hours over charcoal and hickory. On at noon and off the next day at noon. Get it by tjhe pound and a couple sides family style instead of the plate IMO. It's so good we served it at our wedding! and our wedding was kind of fancy. It is pulled in large pieces (not chopped with some fat and grissle like Trollinger's) and always has good bark on it.

Another really good place is The Keg restaurant in nearby Fulton, KY.

Hope this helps.
    pharmerphil
    Junior Burger
    RE: Trolinger's BBQ In Paris Tennessee 2006/11/02 15:04:37 (permalink)
    Mr. Meatfest, I noticed that you logged Benton, Ky. as your hometown. How is the BBQ at Hutchen's or Four Pigs? I know Hutchen's has been a Benton landmark since the 1950's, I think. Glad to hear about Damron's in Martin. I was not aware of this place but will definitely make a trip to try it. If you're down around New Johnsonville, Tn. you might want to try Lloyd's BBQ. Pretty good, REAL, slow cooked BBQ and a huge cheeseburger that's awfully good. Thanks for the info. and glad to find another "local" person here at Roadfood. I too am a newbie to the site but think it's great to find fellow food enthusiasts and learn about establishments that you would probably never have found without this site!
    SurrealGourmet
    Hamburger
    RE: Trolinger's BBQ In Paris Tennessee 2006/11/03 11:16:50 (permalink)
    Wow...it really is a small world. All those places that you mentioned Mr Meatfest, I have been to or had BBQ from. I have a bunch of family members that live in that neck of the woods. Like I mentioned earlier, I have a couple cousins that live in Paris, TN. I have some that live in Hickman, Cayce, Fulton and Union City, TN. I have been to Martin many times. Everytime we have a big get together my relatives have BBQ from one or more of the places you have mentioned.
    Relentless
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 150
    RE: Trolinger's BBQ In Paris Tennessee 2006/11/18 00:59:56 (permalink)
    I also live in the area. Going to have to make it down to Paris and check it out. There is a lot of good BBQ in this area...and it is under-rated. To answer pharmerphil, I have not eaten at Hutchen's in quite some time so can't comment. I have eaten a BBQ sandwich at The Four Pigs a couple of times in the last year & it was pretty good. Typical of the area. Since the Keg was mentioned...I have not eaten at the one in Fulton in years. However they have a good reputation and another location in Murray which I have eaten at several times lately. They have consistently excellent BBQ. The ribs, chicken and pulled pork are all good. Some of the sides are average, but the baked beans are really top notch. Cold beer to boot!
    pharmerphil
    Junior Burger
    RE: Trolinger's BBQ In Paris Tennessee 2006/11/19 14:33:19 (permalink)
    Relentless, Since Paducah is your "home" area, I was wondering where you find good BBQ there? I was raised in Paducah in the 50's & 60's. Starnes (behind Cardinal Lanes) had good BBQ but a bit scrimpy amount on their sandwiches, Harned's, out by Clarks River, was pretty good, Country Castle, on the South Side was pretty good but their Chili Cheese dogs & burgers were exceptional. Two others were Price's, out by the Coca Cola Plant, and Slims, behind Farrington Motors between Jefferson and Broadway around 10th.St., but I think these last 2 are no longer in business. I believe the first 3 I mentioned are still open. I visit Paducah often and always have lunch there when I'm in town. Been going to the Pork Peddler on N. 8th. St. often as they have a great variety of home cooked foods on their buffet including "pulled-pork" at every meal. I have not been there in the evening to try their pork ribs but I hear they're pretty good. Have your tried their ribs? Any other suggestions for BBQ in your area? Thanx.
    Mr Meatfest
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 3
    RE: Trolinger's BBQ In Paris Tennessee 2006/11/21 14:24:41 (permalink)
    Hey, sorry I was away for a while and didn't check back in on this topic. I can give you the opinion on "The Pigs" and "Hutchenson's". The 4 pigs is definately worth a trip. It's the best in Benton. Real pit cooked and their homemade sides and specials are great. It's a local establishment. I eat there at lunch once a week and usually get the pork or a bison burger! Now Hutchenson's is a big NO! They did change ownership and it has improved on that fact but outside of their sauce I wouldn't recommend it at all. My personal preference is not chopped meat with some fat and nasty in it pre-covered in sauce. That's what you get there unfortunately.

I almost forgot my new favorite place within 10 minutes of here. Coldwater's BBQ in Murray. On the north tip of Murray on 641. The beef brisket is A++. I think Texas would swoon. It's more like prime rib. I quizzed the cook and they pit cook it half-way then bring it inside cover it and soak in Au Jus to finish. Served with hot Au Jus on the side, this stuff is amazing with a hot black pepper crust. The pork is above average and you can get pulled or chopped. I'm always for the pulled. Great sit-down atmosphere and sides. If you go you must try the brisket, it's one of a kind.

Still though, Damron's in Martin is the best I ever had anywhere in the USA.
    SassyGritsAL
    • Total Posts : 1089
    RE: Trolinger's BBQ In Paris Tennessee 2006/11/22 09:43:20 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by mtstroud

From what I could see on their website, I believe this place has the best prices on BBQ that I have seen in a long time! It is especially noteworthy in comparison to the joints in my neck of the woods, North Alabama, where it isn't unheard of for pork plates to set you back $8.00 or more. Definitely a great value for folks in northwest Tennessee, I'm sure!

Greetings neighbor, I'm from Huntsville. Of course your in Bib Bob's Gibson's town. Have you ever eaten at Greenbrier (not the one on the interstate (565), but the one several miles off? It is one of my fav. places for barbeque. I love their white sauce.
    PepperPhil
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 335
    RE: Trolinger's BBQ In Paris Tennessee 2006/12/23 19:54:33 (permalink)
    Paris, Tn isn't that far off the beaten path... will have to give it a try
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1