Truck vs Trailer

Author
LuckyBunz
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 5
2012/07/08 19:21:04 (permalink)

Truck vs Trailer

Hello All, 

We are working on a business plan for next year to start our own mobile gourmet business.  We are at odds about whether to buy a Large Concession Trailer or a Gourmet Truck.  I understand the truck would cost more but will the maneuverability be worth the extra cost. We would likely have to buy a truck/van to tow the trailer so not really a savings.  But if we had a van we could sleep on site for Festivals etc.  But I also thought about putting a Safari pop up tent on top of the food truck if we went that route.

Pros? Cons?  Anyone done both?

7 Replies Related Threads

Buck & Vi's
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 832
    Re:Truck vs Trailer 2012/07/08 19:47:16 (permalink)
    Welcome to road food, there has been many lengthy discussions on trailer vs. trucks, check out all those for some good reading then get back to us on your decisions and we can talk. I myself have a trailer 8x20 but wised it was 16x45 go figger ;.........( lol
    chefbuba
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 2016
    Re:Truck vs Trailer 2012/07/08 20:47:16 (permalink)
    What's a "gourmet Truck"?

LuckyBunz
    Junior Burger
    Re:Truck vs Trailer 2012/07/08 22:26:14 (permalink)
    I guess one with a kitchen rather than a roach coach.And actual menu item instead of lazy premade. Thanks for the answer.

LuckyBunz
    Junior Burger
    Re:Truck vs Trailer 2012/07/08 22:31:02 (permalink)
    Seems every post asking for advice on these forums is answered with a remark telling them to read prior discussions. Ok show me some links.....cuz all I find is a "read the other links" comment.
    Foodbme
    Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 10326
    Re:Truck vs Trailer 2012/07/09 02:05:19 (permalink)
    To do a search, go to the upper right side of the tool Bar where it says "Enter Search Phrase". Play around with different words.
    I just did a search using Concession Trailer and got this:
    http://www.roadfood.com/Forums/search.aspx?searchid=247668&high=concession%20trailer
    LuckyBunz
    Junior Burger
    Re:Truck vs Trailer 2012/07/09 09:53:37 (permalink)
    Foodbme

To do a search, go to the upper right side of the tool Bar where it says "Enter Search Phrase". Play around with different words.
    I just did a search using Concession Trailer and got this:

Funny. When I click that link it says "no message to display." It really doesn't matter. We had a meeting and she seems pretty set on getting a trailer to start.  Thanks anyway.
    Hot Dog Empire
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 177
    Re:Truck vs Trailer 2012/07/09 12:55:11 (permalink)
    About a year ago I looked at a trailer that had what your talking about. It was a 32' 5th wheel trailer. 18' of it was kitchen and service area with 6' long window. Then the rest was storage, a small bathroom/shower & sleeping area. The owner was about 65 years old and made his living at fairs across the country. He was selling/retiring. He built it so he didnt have to pay for hotels and leave his unit unsecured when doing away events. The bathroom was convenient, (used a camper toilet, shower & sink w/ holding tank) plus it kept the employee's from taking 15 minute breaks while their off looking for a restroom. He noted that most events dont allow camping, but he got around it by staying in the trailer.

I didnt buy it because it was just too big for me, my goal was not to do large events. I also didnt want to install a 5th wheel hitch in the bed of my truck. Cool concept though. There was a 24' awning that could be rolled out on the backside to relax under after the day is over. I called to verify the price as he was only asking 25k for everything. He talked me into coming out to look at it when I called him on the phone, then he tried everything to get me to buy it.  Everything was SS and spotless. He even had Halon over the fryers & grill. Equipment was fastened to the counters so setup was minimized upon arrival.

Every space was utilized, I learned a lot just by looking. He claimed to make over 100k/yr off the books and another 80k on the books. ( wasn't sure whether to believe him or not. You cant prove cash & books can be forged) He was on the road for 9 months a year. He hired local people and paid them cash at each event.  There was a house sized generator welded to the flatbed of his truck and about a 50G diesel fuel pod (those were extra) and he powered the freezers when driving from one event to the next and could also use it as a dedicated source if needed when on site.  Said he was just too tired of the life to keep going. Was a hoot talking to him, he had some crazy stories!!

Edited.......spelling
    post edited by Hot Dog Empire - 2012/07/09 12:58:31
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1