The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

Try different things from the menu, or stick with what you know?

Ketteract

• Total Posts: 104
Try different things from the menu, or stick with what you know? Fri, 05/3/13 5:29 PM (permalink)
Once I find a local joint I love, and establish a favorite menu item - usually what the place is known for - I probably eat the same thing there a dozen times before I'll dare to try something else. 

Like LC's Hamburgers Etc in Kansas City - I had so many double cheeseburgers there before I tried anything from the "Etc" part of the menu, which had Italian steak, chicken, grilled cheese, BLT, pork fritters, fish, even a reuben, and other stuff I can't remember.  And then I moved away before I had a chance to try anything other than the Italian steak.  :(  Now I wish I'd just methodically gone down that part of the menu.

Or Giordano's in Chicago - I'm very curious about their sandwiches, but I get to Chicago so rarely that I can't imagine a situation where I'd go there and get anything but pizza. 

kland01s

• Total Posts: 2835
    Re:Try different things from the menu, or stick with what you know? Fri, 05/3/13 5:56 PM (permalink)
    This is a really good question! I am so often stuck in a rut too but it depends on the place. If I go to Portillo's it has to be an Italian Beef but they have really good char bugers and about once a year I'll have one! We have a nice Italian place in town and while I favor the individual pizza, I also like their panninis, meatballs and the lasagna so I do vary there. Other places, I am all over the board! A steak this time, a burger next or something pork. Other places like the mom and pop Mexican I go to, I always have the same thing so in a rut that if they see me coming, my meal is ready almost as I hi the door!!
    Good question and I look forward to other responses!

Ketteract

• Total Posts: 104
      Re:Try different things from the menu, or stick with what you know? Fri, 05/3/13 6:02 PM (permalink)
      kland01s

This is a really good question! I am so often stuck in a rut too but it depends on the place. If I go to Portillo's it has to be an Italian Beef but they have really good char bugers and about once a year I'll have one! We have a nice Italian place in town and while I favor the individual pizza, I also like their panninis, meatballs and the lasagna so I do vary there. Other places, I am all over the board! A steak this time, a burger next or something pork. Other places like the mom and pop Mexican I go to, I always have the same thing so in a rut that if they see me coming, my meal is ready almost as I hi the door!!
      Good question and I look forward to other responses!

Oh yeah, I forgot about Portillo's.  The hot dog was the first thing I tried there, and I loved it so much it took several more visits before I even dared the Italian Beef, which was of course marvelous.  I can't imagine how long it'll be before I get around to trying their burgers.

EdSails

• Total Posts: 3581
        Re:Try different things from the menu, or stick with what you know? Fri, 05/3/13 6:11 PM (permalink)
        To my mind, it's a really tough question. Sometimes (as in the case of Portillos) I actually wind up eating too much because I can't make up my mind. The solution---one chili cheese dog and an Italian beef sanwich for the side dish!

Davydd

• Total Posts: 6224
          Re:Try different things from the menu, or stick with what you know? Fri, 05/3/13 6:15 PM (permalink)
          When I frequent the same place over and over I tend to work my way through the menu.

CCinNJ

• Total Posts: 7750
            Re:Try different things from the menu, or stick with what you know? Fri, 05/3/13 6:30 PM (permalink)
            Local Diners...it's usually different all the time.

Special day hot sandwiches at very popular Delis can easily be sold out...by 10am. Have to have a plan b plan c or plan CC (remember to call and tell them to hold one for me).

If I frequent a special place far from home I'll sample different entree options. If I find a very special Dessert...I am gonna get it every time. Even when the waitresses plead with me to try some other wonderful this or that. I'll stick with my beloved caramel cake hell or high water...

Ralph Melton

Re:Try different things from the menu, or stick with what you know? Mon, 05/6/13 9:14 PM (permalink)
              If I find a dish and a place that I love, I'll stick with a favorite thing, unless I'm eating there very often - once a week or thereabouts.

ann peeples

• Total Posts: 8317
                Re:Try different things from the menu, or stick with what you know? Tue, 05/7/13 7:11 AM (permalink)
                Very good question! Depends on where I go, I guess. We have a great steak place we go about once a year-Bob always orders the filet, and I get the bone in rib eye. When it comes to a local diner, I tend to order different things, and have not been disappointed.

love2bake

• Total Posts: 1275
                  Re:Try different things from the menu, or stick with what you know? Tue, 05/7/13 9:23 AM (permalink)
                  CCinNJ

Special day hot sandwiches at very popular Delis can easily be sold out...by 10am. Have to have a plan b plan c or plan CC (remember to call and tell them to hold one for me).

If I frequent a special place far from home I'll sample different entree options. If I find a very special Dessert...I am gonna get it every time. Even when the waitresses plead with me to try some other wonderful this or that. I'll stick with my beloved caramel cake hell or high water...

LOL CC

It's hard to argue with success, and when a place makes something I love, it can take me a while to order around a menu, too.  Sometimes my choices have to do with whether I can do a better job of something at home.  For instance, I rarely order French toast out unless it's something unusual that I wouldn't make myself.

Great question!!

SeamusD

• Total Posts: 939
                    Re:Try different things from the menu, or stick with what you know? Tue, 05/7/13 11:55 AM (permalink)
                    I'll eventually work my way through the menu... unless it's a place I don't go to very often, then there is usually one menu item that is the reason for me to go, and I'll get it every time.

chewingthefat

• Total Posts: 6097
                      Re:Try different things from the menu, or stick with what you know? Tue, 05/7/13 12:19 PM (permalink)
                      When people get a desire for a favorite dish, here at my place, for instance, it's almost impossible to get them to try something different. Say they are sold on Pulled Pork, I'm always talking to everyone, so when I find this out, out come the samples of Brisket, Pork Belly, Corned Beef, etc. Works like a charm!

Michael Hoffman

• Total Posts: 17837
                        Re:Try different things from the menu, or stick with what you know? Tue, 05/7/13 12:32 PM (permalink)
                        Hmmm. You know, I'm sold only on pulled pork. Remember that when I finally manage to get there.

ChrisOC

• Total Posts: 901
                          Re:Try different things from the menu, or stick with what you know? Tue, 05/7/13 1:35 PM (permalink)
                          When we first moved to the shore. it took me a while to find a really good corned beef sandwich.  When I finally found one it was at a place with the unlikely name of Fitzpatrick's Jewish Deli.  When we go there I wouldn't dream of ordering anything but a corned beef special.

JanetPelle

• Total Posts: 27
                            Re:Try different things from the menu, or stick with what you know? Wed, 05/8/13 10:34 AM (permalink)
                            I feel like I get into ruts too. There are simply certain things that I know that I LOVE at certain restaurants. I always feel like I should try something different, but when I do, I'm usual disapointed.

bartl

• Total Posts: 1208
                              Re:Try different things from the menu, or stick with what you know? Wed, 05/8/13 10:39 PM (permalink)
                              I used to, when going to a Chinese restaurant with an extensive menu (such as many in Chinatown in New York City), I would close my eyes, open to a random page, put my finger down, and that would be what I ordered (well, maybe not Duck's Blood with Leek Stoots, but virtually every other time).

Bart

kaszeta

Re:Try different things from the menu, or stick with what you know? Thu, 05/9/13 8:25 AM (permalink)
                                I make it a point to try things, since often when I get into a rut it means I miss out on things.

When I lived in Minneapolis, I was a regular at Al's Breakfast, and after an initial exploration phase, settled upon two breakfasts that I'd work in tandem: one visit I'd get walnut blueberry pancakes and CBH, and the next their Jose (hash browns with poached eggs, cheese, and salsa).  Both are phenomenal.

But one day a few years ago when returning to the Twin Cities, I decided to shake it up a bit and try their Eggs Benedict.  And it was one of the best I've ever had.

I was missing out.... :(

CCinNJ

Re:Try different things from the menu, or stick with what you know? Thu, 05/9/13 10:18 AM (permalink)
                                  I'm still looking for a new favorite Chow Mei Fun replacement...since ownership of the Chinese restaurant that served it changed...and there went much the Fun out of the Chow Mei Fun.
                                  <message edited by CCinNJ on Thu, 05/9/13 10:23 AM>

ChrisOC

• Total Posts: 901
                                    Re:Try different things from the menu, or stick with what you know? Thu, 05/9/13 10:43 AM (permalink)
                                    CCinNJ

I'm still looking for a new favorite Chow Mei Fun replacement...since ownership of the Chinese restaurant that served it changed...and there went much the Fun out of the Chow Mei Fun.

Same thing happened to me.  New owners changed the recipe for the Singapore noodles and the Hot and Sour soup.  There went my go to take out order.

CCinNJ

Re:Try different things from the menu, or stick with what you know? Thu, 05/9/13 10:53 AM (permalink)
                                      Yep! That happens often in NJ and...it's often hard to see any sign that ownership has changed hands...until you're in the noodles and sour on the soup!

CajunKing

• Total Posts: 6317
                                        • Roadfood Insider
                                        Re:Try different things from the menu, or stick with what you know? Thu, 05/9/13 4:25 PM (permalink)
                                        CCinNJ

CC
                                        take that cake and.....
                                        Well it has haunted my dreams since the first time you posted it! 

CajunKing

• Total Posts: 6317
                                          • Roadfood Insider
                                          Re:Try different things from the menu, or stick with what you know? Thu, 05/9/13 4:27 PM (permalink)
                                          Locally - I live in ruts.
                                          Travelling - Almost anything goes, i sample as much of the menu as I can or have help and sample off their plates too.

CCinNJ

Re:Try different things from the menu, or stick with what you know? Thu, 05/9/13 4:40 PM (permalink)
                                            I miss you...caramel cake!

Wait for me!

felix4067

• Total Posts: 3299
                                              Re:Try different things from the menu, or stick with what you know? Thu, 05/9/13 5:10 PM (permalink)
                                              If it's somewhere I go all the time, I'll eventually work my way through most of the menu, although depending on my mood I may stick with something I know I love. If I'm travelling, it's rare I get to go somewhere more than once because I always have a list longer than there are meals available that I want to try, so it's hard to say. Places I go all the time when travelling I usually treat the same (Tahoe leaps to mind, since I'm there every year).

A few years ago, I met Al and Janet for dinner on my way through for vacation, and stopped at the same place again on my way home. I did end up ordering the same thing, because it was so darn fabulous I'd been thinking about it the entire two weeks I was gone. But I think that's the only time I've done that.

chewingthefat

• Total Posts: 6097
                                                Re:Try different things from the menu, or stick with what you know? Thu, 05/9/13 5:20 PM (permalink)
                                                Actually, when you get a Jones for a great Chili Dog, you go to your favorite Chili Dog place and get a ....CHILI DOG!

Michael Hoffman

• Total Posts: 17837
                                                  Re:Try different things from the menu, or stick with what you know? Thu, 05/9/13 5:40 PM (permalink)
                                                  chewingthefat

Actually, when you get a Jones for a great Chili Dog, you go to your favorite Chili Dog place and get a ....CHILI DOG!

When I get that craving for a great chili dog -- heck, even a halfway decent chili dog -- I just suffer because there ain't so such thing anywhere around here.

FriedClamFanatic

• Total Posts: 1496
                                                    • Location: west chester, PA
                                                    Re:Try different things from the menu, or stick with what you know? Thu, 05/9/13 5:40 PM (permalink)
                                                    If I am in a new place/city, I'll bend over backwards.  and find my wallet.......for a "sampler" plate!  But for the "regulars" I tend to stick to my regulars

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                                      • No New Messages
                                                      • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                                      • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                                      • Locked w/ New Messages
                                                      • Locked w/o New Messages
                                                      • Read Message
                                                      • Post New Thread
                                                      • Reply to message
                                                      • Post New Poll
                                                      • Submit Vote
                                                      • Post reward post
                                                      • Delete my own posts
                                                      • Delete my own threads
                                                      • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                                      What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com