Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

Tuna Fish

Change Page: 12 > | Showing page 1 of 2, messages 1 to 30 of 52
pnwchef

• Total Posts: 2251
Tuna Fish Thu, 02/2/12 12:19 PM (permalink)
I remember back in the 50's and 60's when I had my Davy Crockett Lunch Box, Mom made use tuna sandwiches. I remember seeing large flakes in the tuna can that looked like real tuna. Am I mistaken, or did the Tuna shrink down to the size of Trout.  What the heck are they using to make Tuna in the Bumble Bee Tuna plant, Guppies ????????

Michael Hoffman

• Total Posts: 17851
    Re:Tuna Fish Thu, 02/2/12 12:26 PM (permalink)
    Looks as if you got chunk instead of solid.

RC51Mike

• Total Posts: 443
      Re:Tuna Fish Thu, 02/2/12 12:29 PM (permalink)
      I can't see the side of the can but I'm pretty sure it says "Friskie's" on it.

6star

• Total Posts: 4388
        Re:Tuna Fish Thu, 02/2/12 12:38 PM (permalink)
        It looks to me that you opened a can of "chunk" tuna, instead of a can of "solid" tuna.  "Chunk" tuna is made from the scraps and trimmings from the "solid" tuna canning (and has been for quite a while).  After all, they don't specify on the can how big the "chunks" are going to be, and on their website they state, "Chunk White Albacore comes pre-separated to make mixing in tuna salads easier than ever."  They are doing you a favor, and you didn't even know it!

pnwchef

Re:Tuna Fish Thu, 02/2/12 12:39 PM (permalink)
          RC51Mike

I can't see the side of the can but I'm pretty sure it says "Friskie's" on it.

That's what I thought also, I found myself fighting with the dogs after eating a so called Tuna Sandwich.......

pnwchef

Re:Tuna Fish Thu, 02/2/12 12:54 PM (permalink)
            6star

It looks to me that you opened a can of "chunk" tuna, instead of a can of "solid" tuna.  "Chunk" tuna is made from the scraps and trimmings from the "solid" tuna canning (and has been for quite a while).  After all, they don't specify on the can how big the "chunks" are going to be, and on their website they state, "Chunk White Albacore comes pre-separated to make mixing in tuna salads easier than ever."  They are doing you a favor, and you didn't even know it!

I didn't ask for a favor, I wanted bigger flakes. If I called and asked for a favor, I would have been transfered to a 100 different departments. That would like having my customer order a nice Salmon Filet then serving them a  minced Salmon cake saying it's easier to eat..............wonder how long I would stay in business..............

Greymo

• Total Posts: 3668
              Re:Tuna Fish Thu, 02/2/12 1:02 PM (permalink)
              This past suummer, I picked up a couple of cans of "chunk" tuna by mistake.  I was going to make tuna-macaroni salad.  I could not believe my eyes when I opened the cans and saw the pulverized contents.  I, honestly, thought that I had gotten cans that had been processed incorrectly.  I called the company (think it may have been) Chicken of the Sea and explained to them.  They carefully told me that what I had was chunk tuna and that was the way it looked  I told them that I could not possibly use it in my recipe and they gracioulsly told me how sorry they were and wanted to send me some free coupons.

I cheerfully  agreed and used the tuna for sandwiches,  A week later, my free coupons came  ................four coupons; each one good for a can of CHUNK tuna.  I laughed over that  for a week.

pnwchef

Re:Tuna Fish Thu, 02/2/12 1:15 PM (permalink)
                Greymo

This past suummer, I picked up a couple of cans of "chunk" tuna by mistake.  I was going to make tuna-macaroni salad.  I could not believe my eyes when I opened the cans and saw the pulverized contents.  I, honestly, thought that I had gotten cans that had been processed incorrectly.  I called the company (think it may have been) Chicken of the Sea and explained to them.  They carefully told me that what I had was chunk tuna and that was the way it looked  I told them that I could not possibly use it in my recipe and they gracioulsly told me how sorry they were and wanted to send me some free coupons.

I cheerfully  agreed and used the tuna for sandwiches,  A week later, my free coupons came  ................four coupons; each one good for a can of CHUNK tuna.  I laughed over that  for a week.

Greymo, great story, you had me laughing, still hungry, but laughing...............

ScreamingChicken

• Total Posts: 4737
                  Re:Tuna Fish Thu, 02/2/12 1:19 PM (permalink)
                  When I was younger a favorite snack was chunk tuna in oil, eaten straight from the can...utensils optional.

DawnT

• Total Posts: 1286
                    Re:Tuna Fish Thu, 02/2/12 2:05 PM (permalink)
                    In addition to economics where the cost of true tuna species has gone through the roof, there's also conservation concerns. Much of the canned tuna species we ate as kids are endangered or near endangered and no longer harvested for canning. Many of the canned product besides albacore are tuna related species like skipjack. Even albacore which is the solid white tuna is getting a hit especially with children's lunch programs and medical authorities that are warning about mercury. Parental concerns caused us to stop using it and we only use the darker skipjack for the kid's lunches.

fishtaco

• Total Posts: 742
                      Re:Tuna Fish Thu, 02/2/12 2:08 PM (permalink)
                      Just like they have cut the weight of the cans. What goes in the can sucks these days. I find the pouches to be better. Plus you do not may for all that liqued weight.

pnwchef

Re:Tuna Fish Thu, 02/2/12 2:29 PM (permalink)
                        I'm waiting for that BBQ Restaurant owner, Rood Food loved, World Renowned, Camera friendly, one and only Chewingthefat to hone in on this dilemma..............Chewy is an expert on C -Store Tuna sandwiches....

kathy_in_wlsv

• Total Posts: 103
                          Re:Tuna Fish Thu, 02/2/12 3:48 PM (permalink)
                          Way back in high school, one of my favorite after school snacks was a tuna sandwich, made with Chicken of the Sea tuna and good ole' Hellman's mayo. One day I was eating my sandwich when I said, "geee this tastes odd..." I was hungry so finished up then went to the kitchen where I saw a fresh empty can of Friskies, tuna flavor...ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh ecchh.

I HATE what they've done to tuna, and belive me I KNOW how to shop. I can pick out  tuna in oil or water according to my needs and wants. PLEASE bring back decent oil packed tuna.

DawnT

• Total Posts: 1286
                            Re:Tuna Fish Thu, 02/2/12 4:39 PM (permalink)
                            Hmmm. First season SNL with Albert Brook's realistic pseudo-commercials that you didn't know were spoofs until you were half way into them. Kitterbits supermarket taste test. Only season they did that...and the last season I watched.

You don't need them to bring back oil packed Kathy. You can do it yourself...even better with regular water pack and herb infused oils for more flavor, much less fluid leaching, and easier combining with mayo. Check my previous post on the subject rather then repeat it here again.

Michael Hoffman

Re:Tuna Fish Thu, 02/2/12 5:22 PM (permalink)
                              ScreamingChicken

When I was younger a favorite snack was chunk tuna in oil, eaten straight from the can...utensils optional.

I'll still put the contents of a can of solid tuna on a plate, along with a can of King Oscar brisling sardines and some sliced onion, and then I salt and pepper the tuna and the sardines and add some good olive oil.

pnwchef

Re:Tuna Fish Thu, 02/2/12 5:29 PM (permalink)
                                Michael Hoffman

ScreamingChicken

I'll still put the contents of a can of solid tuna on a plate, along with a can of King Oscar brisling sardines and some sliced onion, and then I salt and pepper the tuna and the sardines and add some good olive oil.

that meal is yelling for a brew

Michael Hoffman

Re:Tuna Fish Thu, 02/2/12 5:32 PM (permalink)
                                  You mean milk is wrong?

pnwchef

Re:Tuna Fish Thu, 02/2/12 5:39 PM (permalink)
                                    Michael Hoffman

You mean milk is wrong?

You may need milk, but a brew, and I know you, a Brew it would be. Open some windows to.....

Greymo

• Total Posts: 3668
                                      Re:Tuna Fish Thu, 02/2/12 5:46 PM (permalink)
                                      You drink a good ale with that repast.......................milk is for donuts!

chewingthefat

• Total Posts: 6102
                                        Re:Tuna Fish Thu, 02/2/12 5:51 PM (permalink)
                                        ScreamingChicken

Ditto!

chewingthefat

Re:Tuna Fish Thu, 02/2/12 5:55 PM (permalink)
                                          Michael Hoffman

ScreamingChicken

I need to do that but substitute anchovies!
                                          BTW, Costco is carrying a great Tuna, solid, not drowning in cheap oil, 6 cans to a pack, under $2.00 a can.

chewingthefat

Re:Tuna Fish Thu, 02/2/12 6:03 PM (permalink)
                                            PNWCHEF

I'm waiting for that BBQ Restaurant owner, Rood Food loved, World Renowned, Camera friendly, one and only Chewingthefat to hone in on this dilemma..............Chewy is an expert on C -Store Tuna sandwiches....

I didn't get to this post before I posted, but just so everyone will know, I have a book coming out, Doubleday, next month, titled "TUNA...Something is Fishy", 600 pages, great pics, but mostly Tunafish horror stories, not for the weak of heart. Going to be doing signings all over the Country! Tuna talks to me!!

Michael Hoffman

Re:Tuna Fish Thu, 02/2/12 6:05 PM (permalink)
                                              chewingthefat

Michael Hoffman

ScreamingChicken

I need to do that but substitute anchovies!
                                              BTW, Costco is carrying a great Tuna, solid, not drowning in cheap oil, 6 cans to a pack, under $2.00 a can.

I sometimes add a can of rolled anchovy fillets with capers to the plate.

chewingthefat

Re:Tuna Fish Thu, 02/2/12 6:05 PM (permalink)
                                                fishtaco

Just like they have cut the weight of the cans. What goes in the can sucks these days. I find the pouches to be better. Plus you do not may for all that liqued weight.

Yep, the pouches are a good thing!!

Michael Hoffman

Re:Tuna Fish Thu, 02/2/12 6:11 PM (permalink)
                                                  I really feel terrible about the fact that I'll be in nashville when Tom is signing books at the Barnes and Noble at Easton in Columbus.

pnwchef

Re:Tuna Fish Thu, 02/2/12 6:28 PM (permalink)
                                                    I could see a kids show coming out of this, the name will be "Tom the Tuna" with Tom reading from the book from a row boat in Chesapeake bay....

ann peeples

• Total Posts: 8317
                                                      • Location: West Allis, Wisconsin
                                                      Re:Tuna Fish Thu, 02/2/12 11:05 PM (permalink)
                                                      I absolutely love the rolled anhcovies-comes to mind that I have to stuff my pantry with them!

drummagick

• Total Posts: 167
                                                        • Location: Wenatchee, WA
                                                        Re:Tuna Fish Thu, 02/2/12 11:33 PM (permalink)
                                                        Mmm, Italian tuna packed in good olive oil ;)

chewingthefat

• Location: Emmitsburg, Md.
                                                          Re:Tuna Fish Fri, 02/3/12 5:03 PM (permalink)
                                                          PNWCHEF

I could see a kids show coming out of this, the name will be "Tom the Tuna" with Tom reading from the book from a row boat in Chesapeake bay....

I 'd rather be "Tom the Fourna" as I'm twice as good as Tuna!

porkbeaks

• Total Posts: 2202
                                                            • Location: Hoschton/Braselton, GA
                                                            Re:Tuna Fish Mon, 02/6/12 8:51 AM (permalink)
                                                            I've been eating canned tuna for 60 years and I think the Bumble Bee Prime Filet Solid White Albacore is as good or better than ever. It comes in a gold 5 oz. can and is marked Gourmet Tuna. The stuff in the bag is ok, but I prefer this. Jmho, pb

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark
                                                              Change Page: 12 > | Showing page 1 of 2, messages 1 to 30 of 52

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                                              • No New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/ New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/o New Messages
                                                              • Read Message
                                                              • Post New Thread
                                                              • Reply to message
                                                              • Post New Poll
                                                              • Submit Vote
                                                              • Post reward post
                                                              • Delete my own posts
                                                              • Delete my own threads
                                                              • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                                              What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com