Tunnel BBQ in Windsor, Ontario?

Author
Hepcat
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 374
2003/10/24 12:26:23 (permalink)

Tunnel BBQ in Windsor, Ontario?

Has anyone tried the Tunnel BBQ in Windsor? Many swear by the ribs served at the Tunnel but I myself was underwhelmed the one and only time I tried the place many years ago. They were dry and not very meaty.

14 Replies Related Threads

Hepcat
    Cheeseburger
    RE: Tunnel BBQ in Windsor, Ontario? 2003/10/24 22:35:17 (permalink)
    Alright! You've convinced me! I'll give the place another try the next time I'm in Windsor.

pigface
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 406
    RE: Tunnel BBQ in Windsor, Ontario? 2003/10/26 21:33:29 (permalink)
    Yes, TBQ .... Many choices in Windsor
    It's worthy for Northern BBQ, er, Extreme Southern Canadian BBQ
    aimala66
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 100
    RE: Tunnel BBQ in Windsor, Ontario? 2003/11/03 13:52:29 (permalink)
    it's really overrated...i've been several times now over a span of 12 years...and it never really fails to underwhelmed. i mean, it certainly doesn't deserve the reputation it seems to enjoy. then again, the canadian palette....
    Hepcat
    Cheeseburger
    RE: Tunnel BBQ in Windsor, Ontario? 2003/11/05 18:21:29 (permalink)
    Aimala!

I want to know what your picks are as well!

pigface
    Cheeseburger
    RE: Tunnel BBQ in Windsor, Ontario? 2003/11/05 19:38:22 (permalink)
    I'll Give you "Pigface's" Picks for rib's in Detroit

Green's Alabama Pit BBQ on Warren, Carry out only, it's got a 10 ft fence around it, Lots of razorwire, in a burnt out neighborhood ... after dark, take your best pitbull, & keep the car runnin

Milt's Gourmet Ribs, off of Moross The ribs are good, the Sides and deserts are excellent

The Bone Yard, Not real BBQ, but OK for gas rotisserie roasted Barbecue, and I like the sauce

And the Detroit Freep Press likes Tunnel Barbeque http://www.freep.com/cgi-bin/entertaintease.pl?/entertainment/newsandreviews/windsor/windsor_rests.htm
    Which is an Old review ... Sorry, Best I could come up with

Hepcat
    Cheeseburger
    RE: Tunnel BBQ in Windsor, Ontario? 2003/11/06 13:19:27 (permalink)
    Green's Alabama Pit sounds like it has the kind of friendly, down home atmosphere I like!

aimala66
    Hamburger
    RE: Tunnel BBQ in Windsor, Ontario? 2003/11/06 13:21:51 (permalink)
    yeah, i think it's slim pickins 'round detroit...i don't think tunnel is BAD, i just don't see why people are so impressed. i guess it's all about the kind of Q you like.

I grew up on champs ribs in grosse pointe woods. they are unbelievable meaty, their sauce is tangy and unique and their cottage fries are golden fried potato goodness (esp. when dipped in the sauce).

i think those are the best ribs, but i've heard people complain that these were too tough. these ribs aren't the fall off the bone variety, but they are exceptionally good!!!!

for really good fall off the bone bones, try beans and cornbread in southfield. in fact, try ANYthing there. it's billed as a soulful bistro and it is so good...everything there is good. start to finish. and you can get sweet tea. can't beat that.

i never had green's, but i'm anxious to try. and milts.....i've had those once....i remember liking, but i haven't gone back in a long time, so i don't remember how i felt....but probably it's because the aformentioned champs is virtually unbeatable in my book.

and the boneyard is solid, but again.....champs.

those are my motown pig picks.

sorry about the canadian crack. i really like poutines!!!
    amy
    aimala66
    Hamburger
    RE: Tunnel BBQ in Windsor, Ontario? 2003/11/07 08:25:33 (permalink)
    there's really great food all over the detroit area, but it IS really hard to locate it....the city itself has no real cohesive shopping/dining/entertaining district (try as they may and hopefully they'll succeed someday) but you have to know where to go both in the city and it's surrounds....

however, there is fabulous food everywhere and the fact that you have to "discover" it makes it all the more exciting. it's like a scavenger hunt of sorts. it can be annoying, but then again, when you find that perfect place that had been under your nose for years, it's a real supris and well worth the effort.

then again, i look at dining as a sport. most people would have given up and gone to the olive garden by now.

amy
    Penoose
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 57
    RE: Tunnel BBQ in Windsor, Ontario? 2003/11/10 11:55:36 (permalink)
    I always enjoyed the ribs at Tunnel BBQ, but it's been a few years, and I've heard more than a few complaints. Perhaps they've gone downhill?

I remember liking the desserts as well.

>>I was at Greens once, and well, scary place for a white kid from the sububurbs of Flint. <<

Hey...parts of Flint are pretty scary in their own right.

Eating the best of Detroit usually involves venturing into some pretty sketchy neighborhoods. Admittedly, the area around Green's is more than just a little decrepit. Scenes like that take some getting used to.

pigface
    Cheeseburger
    RE: Tunnel BBQ in Windsor, Ontario? 2003/11/15 17:28:09 (permalink)
    Well Then You Folks Need to Try the Polish Yacht Club, Ivanhoe's Bar
    This is the Place to take the Out of Town Cousin's for Friday night Fish.
    Another Burnt out Detroit Neighborhood, Old Polish Area,
    But Renown for Friday night Fish & Chip, Server'd Family Style ...
    Platters of Cole Slaw, Fresh sliced Tomatoes, Bakery Fresh Large Rye Bread, Tons of Butter
    Fish, Walleye Filets w/o Bone, or Whole Perch w/ Bones .. and for Beer ?
    the waitress (who's a few past her 80's) tells you you can have a picture
    of yellow beer, or a picture of dark beer, or Johnnie can mix your picture of both !

This is an Old corner Bar in an very old neighborhood of what used to be Pole Town, before General Motors bult a Huge Assemeblyline Production Plant. The Old bar looksmore like an old house, 'cause the dining rooms are old bedrooms. You can leave the Pit Bull at home,
    They have a Security Guard for on street parking. Fun Innercity Roadfood Experience.
    http://www.ivanhoecafe-pyc.com/PYC/cybermember.html
    Penoose
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 57
    RE: Tunnel BBQ in Windsor, Ontario? 2003/11/16 13:33:24 (permalink)
    >>Well Then You Folks Need to Try the Polish Yacht Club, Ivanhoe's Bar<<

That place is solid. Great atmosphere, and the perch was fantastic. Mmm...perch and beer.

I had trouble finding it at first; the surrounding neighborhood is largely residential, which threw me off. Still not as sketchy as Green's.
    pigface
    Cheeseburger
    RE: Tunnel BBQ in Windsor, Ontario? 2003/11/21 19:57:56 (permalink)
    The Second time We went to "The Yacht Club" a house a few doors away was burning ...
    And there was no real effort to extinguish it ... Beer was cold, Fish was Hot, Slaw was crispy
    It's such a place to take those weak insipid, tremulous in-laws
    northernbelle
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 1
    RE: Tunnel BBQ in Windsor, Ontario? 2008/08/07 10:37:06 (permalink)
    When we moved from Ohio to Texas, our greatest lament was that we would not be able to drive to Windsor for Tunnel BBQ 6-10 times a year for our favorite food PERIOD!!!! They are definately not your fall off the bone type of ribs, but we love them so much!!!!
    It was our last meal right before we moved and it is our first stop whenever we go home for a visit.....even before we see our family we are in Windsor, they have often just met us there! It is a favorite to most our friends and family also. There have been four people we have taken up there that said they weren't impressed, but we have ate there with around 50 people that all agree hands down they are the TOPS! Just ask Jack Niclaus, he has them shipped to his home. Maybe I should try that, this Texas BBQ just isn't cutting it!
    montageman
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 8
    RE: Tunnel BBQ in Windsor, Ontario? 2008/08/07 10:50:56 (permalink)
    I haven't been to the Tunnel BBQ in years, but I recall being more fond of the desserts than the dinner. I do, however, recall ordering the "shrimpken" - BBQ chicken and fried shrimp and not being disappointed at all.

Champs in GPW is a solid choice, if you want to stay in the suburbs. But the best BBQ in Detroit, IMO, is Slow's. It is hands down my favorite restaurant in the Detroit area for BBQ. On top of that, they have a wonderful beer & bourbon selection.

I've never been to Green's Alabama Pit, but will keep that in mind for the future - sounds cool!
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Trial Version 5.1